Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

The oil dispute puts Baghdad in front of “big” legal problems.. Billions of compensation for Erbil (details)

yota691

Iraq aims to establish new oil company in Kurdistan region - ministry

By Rowena Edwards

2 MIN READ

Iraq aims to establish new oil company in Kurdistan region - ministry | Reuters

(Reuters) -Iraq’s federal government aims to establish a new oil company in the Kurdistan region, the oil ministry said on Saturday.

The aim of the new company will be to enter into new service contracts with oil firms currently operating there under the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG), according to a statement.

Oil minister Ihsan Ismael said on May 7 that the ministry would start implementing a February federal court ruling that declared the legal foundations of the Kurdistan region’s oil and gas sector unconstitutional.

Iraq then wrote to international oil firms operating in the semi-autonomous region requesting they sign new contracts with state-owned marketer SOMO rather than the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG)The letters marked the first direct contact between the ministry and oil firms operating in the Kurdistan region. The move follows years of attempts by the federal government to bring KRG revenues under its control, including local court rulings and threats of international arbitration.

The oil ministry will pursue legal action against companies that continue to operate under “unlawful production sharing contract schemes” and that “do not engage in good faith negotiations to restructure their contracts,” according to the statement.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

SULAIMANI (ESTA) — The Iraqi oil ministry said on Saturday the federal government aims to establish a new oil company in the Kurdistan Region.

In a statement, the ministry said the aim of the new company will be to enter into new service contracts with oil firms currently operating there under the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG), according to Reuters.

The KRG has been developing oil and gas resources independently of the federal government, and in 2007 enacted its own law that established the directives by which the region would administer them.

Kurdistan’s massive untapped oil reserves, lucrative production-sharing contracts and safe environment have prompted international oil companies over recent years to commit to investing billions of dollars there.

But in February, Iraq’s federal court deemed the oil and gas law regulating the oil industry in Kurdistan unconstitutional and demanded that the KRG hand over their crude supplies.

Iraq’s federal court’s ruling gives the oil ministry in Baghdad the authority to manage oil and gas fields in Kurdistan.

Reuters reported on Thursday that the oil ministry had asked oil and gas firms operating in the Region to sign new contracts with state-owned marketer SOMO rather than the Kurdish government.

On May 7, Iraqi oil minister Ihsan Abdul Jabbar said the ministry would begin implementing a federal court ruling gives the ministry oversight of oil output in the Kurdistan Region after talks didn’t lead to a result.

•  
  • Upvote 1

Kurds have lots of reason to not trust Baghdad, who likewise have lots of reason not to trust the Kurds. What's the solution? Only 2 choices: 1-A mutually agreed upon set of neutral people to monitor and adjudicate, to keep everyone honest. (a radical solution) That would be people outside the country, that everyone trusts. 2-War, eventually, between the Kurds and Baghdad. 

The 3rd option is trust each other. 🤝 Stop the corruption, act in good faith, Kurds give up their fight for sovereignty....nah....that's extremely unlikely in my opinion.

Which will work out? I don't know. Time will tell. 🕙

If there is another option, I can't think of it. 🤷‍♀️

My guess is, use of force eventually will happen. War. Hope I'm wrong. :twocents:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just sick & tired of being sick & tired reading about the same idiotic back & forth on this issue for close to 20 years.

A hapless & feckless despicable bunch to include the " Mighty " UN people tasked to seeing to all things Iraq.

People waiting, hoping, praying for relief & a better future and this is what they get year in & year out.

All the while the Barzani Syndicate gets wealthier at an astonishing rate.

Not forgetting Iraqi treachery in all this: and those UN pin heads are doing what exactly to alleviate & get Beyond this impasse you ask ?

Don't need to be a " rocket surgeon " to see this for what it is. Just one helluva FUBAR/ SNAFU that benefits only the " Special Club Members " who control ALL the $$$$$.

• Pow! 3

1 hour ago, Rochester said:

Kurds have lots of reason to not trust Baghdad, who likewise have lots of reason not to trust the Kurds. What's the solution? Only 2 choices: 1-A mutually agreed upon set of neutral people to monitor and adjudicate, to keep everyone honest. (a radical solution) That would be people outside the country, that everyone trusts. 2-War, eventually, between the Kurds and Baghdad. 

The 3rd option is trust each other. 🤝 Stop the corruption, act in good faith, Kurds give up their fight for sovereignty....nah....that's extremely unlikely in my opinion.

Which will work out? I don't know. Time will tell. 🕙

My guess is, use of force eventually will happen. War. Hope I'm wrong. :twocents:

As soon as i read the UN was going in to help negotiations, "war" entered my mind, and then, "when things seems at their worst" came to mind.. i think we are getting very close

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Pow! 4

1 hour ago, Longtimelurker said:

As soon as i read the UN was going in to help negotiations, "war" entered my mind, and then, "when things seems at their worst" came to mind.. i think we are getting very close

Well, yeah, I'm hoping I'm wrong too. The point of my post was to point out the simple logic, which is, if they don't get an agreement, this will end badly. That's still true. Everyone in their right mind knows it. There is no alternative. It's, agree on something or eventually there will be violence. Hope YOU are right, that we are getting close. I hope all sides are realistic and sane enough to build an agreement together, because unless that happens, it's just going to get worse. The status quo simply won't hold any more, now that they aren't an occupied country. Things will go well now. Extremely well. Or things will go bad. Very bad. Because Iraqis are running things now, America isn't going to force anything, just will incentivize and encourage or discourage. That's not the same as control, it's just influence. It's their country again, to control. It's up to Iraqis to decide which way this goes. I just hope they are not so stupid and corrupt and delusional, they can't see that truth, after all this time. So....I'm cheering for an agreement, for your opinion. Hope it happens. 🙏😇

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Pow! 1

1653140837270.jpeg

Baghdad reveals the "restructuring" of oil contracts in Kurdistan and threatens violators with legal measures

2022-05-22 08:46

Shafaq News/ The Ministry of Oil in the Federal Government revealed, on Saturday, its intention to "restructure" oil contracts in the Kurdistan Region, threatening the violating companies with legal measures.

The ministry said in a statement received by Shafaq News Agency, "The federal government in Iraq is seeking to establish a new oil company in the Kurdistan Region, and it is expected that the new oil company in Kurdistan will enter into service contracts with oil companies there."

The ministry indicated that it "will seek to take legal measures against companies in the Kurdistan Region that do not negotiate with Baghdad to restructure contracts."

And the day before yesterday, Thursday, a document obtained by Shafaq News revealed that the Federal Oil Ministry will manage the file of exporting crude from Kurdistan Region, based on the decision of the Federal Supreme Court, "after matters reached a dead end in this regard."

The Federal Supreme Court had declared last February 15 that the oil and gas law of the Kurdistan Regional Government was unconstitutional and abolished, and obligating the regional government to hand over the entire oil production from the oil fields in the region and other areas from which the Ministry of Natural Resources in the Government of Kurdistan extracted oil and handed it over to the federal government, represented Federal Ministry of Oil.

The Kurdistan Region described the decision as "unconstitutional" and was based on a law dating back to the time of the previous regime, and the regional government stressed that "such an unconstitutional decision cannot be accepted."

And the Kurdistan Region began to sell its oil in isolation from the federal government, after a stifling financial crisis as a result of the collapse of oil prices during the ISIS invasion of areas in Iraq, in addition to the disputes with Baghdad that prompted the latter to stop paying the salaries of the region’s employees.

Baghdad says its national oil company, SOMO, is the only one authorized to sell Iraqi crude oil, but each side claims the constitution is on its side. Since the Iraqi oil and gas law remained imprisoned in the drafting stage due to differences, there was room for maneuver.

• Upvote 1

Al-Asaib: International Arbitration Between Baghdad And The Kurdistan Region Is A Dangerous Precedent

43253.jpg?v=1653157642

the intervention of the security council between the federal government and the kurdistan regional government is a dangerous precedent and a violation of all laws and the dispatch of a un envoy to negotiate between baghdad and erbil means international arbitration that can only be between countries independent of each other, which means internationalizing differences, opening the door to interventions and losing the iraqi state's unity and independence.

• Upvote 1
  • Pow! 1

Iraq’s oil ministry aims to establish new oil company in Kurdistan region

Reuters

Published: 21 May ,2022: 04:57 PM GSTUpdated: 21 May ,2022: 05:39 PM GST

Iraq’s federal government aims to establish a new oil company in the Kurdistan region, the oil ministry said in a statement on Saturday.

The aim of the new company will be to enter into new service contracts with oil firms currently operating there under the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG), according to the statement.

Oil minister Ihsan Ismael said on May 7 that the ministry would start implementing a February federal court ruling that declared the legal foundations of the Kurdistan region’s oil and gas sector unconstitutional.

Iraq then wrote to international oil firms operating in the semi-autonomous region requesting they sign new contracts with state-owned marketer SOMO rather than the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG).

The letters marked the first direct contact between the ministry and oil firms operating in the Kurdistan region. The move follows years of attempts by the federal government to bring KRG revenues under its control, including local court rulings and threats of international arbitration.

The oil ministry will pursue legal action against companies that continue to operate under “unlawful production sharing contract schemes” and that “do not engage in good faith negotiations to restructure their contracts,” according to the statement.

• Upvote 3

The aim of the new company will be to enter into new service contracts with oil firms currently operating there under the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG), according to a statement. Oil minister Ihsan Ismael said on May 7 that the ministry would start implementing a February federal court ruling that declared the legal foundations of the Kurdistan region's oil and gas sector unconstitutional.

Reuters | Updated: 21-05-2022 18:51 IST | Created: 21-05-2022 18:51 IST

Iraq's federal government aims to establish a new oil company in the Kurdistan region, the oil ministry said on Saturday. The aim of the new company will be to enter into new service contracts with oil firms currently operating there under the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG), according to a statement.

Oil minister Ihsan Ismael said on May 7 that the ministry would start implementing a February federal court ruling that declared the legal foundations of the Kurdistan region's oil and gas sector unconstitutional. Iraq then wrote to international oil firms operating in the semi-autonomous region requesting they sign new contracts with state-owned marketer SOMO rather than the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG).

The letters marked the first direct contact between the ministry and oil firms operating in the Kurdistan region. The move follows years of attempts by the federal government to bring KRG revenues under its control, including local court rulings and threats of international arbitration. The oil ministry will pursue legal action against companies that continue to operate under "unlawful production sharing contract schemes" and that "do not engage in good faith negotiations to restructure their contracts," according to the statement.

• Upvote 3

Officially.. Oil takes over the management of the crude export file from the Kurdistan region

977264-eedb0f1b-3373-4c54-be7f-b073f0fa5
Baghdad / NINA / - The Ministry of Oil has informed the General Authority for Monitoring the Allocation of Government Revenues that it has taken over the management of the crude export file from the Kurdistan region based on the decision of the Federal Court./ End 5

• Upvote 2
  • Pow! 6

2 hours ago, 6ly410 said:

Officially.. Oil takes over the management of the crude export file from the Kurdistan region

977264-eedb0f1b-3373-4c54-be7f-b073f0fa5
Baghdad / NINA / - The Ministry of Oil has informed the General Authority for Monitoring the Allocation of Government Revenues that it has taken over the management of the crude export file from the Kurdistan region based on the decision of the Federal Court./ End 5

So there. Here's your raspberry Kurdistan.

• Haha 1
  • Pow! 5

SULAIMANI — The Iraqi Ministry of Oil has announced the federal government intends to establish a new oil company in the Kurdistan Region to work with international firms operating there.

The ministry said on Saturday (May 21) the company it plans to set up will be dedicated to the sale of oil. 

The Oil Minister, Ihsan Abdul-Jabbar, said the government will begin to implement the federal supreme court’s verdict on the Kurdistan Region’s oil and gas law, which the court ruled unconstitutional in February. 

Abdul-Jabbar said in April a new company should be established in Erbil to manage the oil sector, which would be supervised by the federal oil company.

The Iraqi government has also called on international oil companies operating in the Kurdistan Region to sign new contracts with Iraq’s State Organization for Marketing Oil (SOMO) in order to continue their operations in the Region. 

The oil ministry has threatened to take action against companies that continue to operate under contracts signed with the Kurdistan Regional Government. 

(NRT Digital Media)

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

The signatures are the decisive factor.. A new obligation from Central Oil to the region with another attempt to control Iraq's wealth

516 Economie 2022/05/20 22:14 Baghdad today -

translated by Yasmine Al-Shafi Reuters revealed today, Thursday, that the Iraqi government made a new attempt to control revenues in the Kurdistan region by requiring oil and gas companies operating there to sign new contracts with the state-owned marketing company SOMO instead of the regional government. According to the report of the newspaper translated (Baghdad Today), "a document seen by Reuters shows that the Ministry of Oil has appointed the international law firm" Cleary Gottlieb Steen and Hamilton "to communicate with oil and gas companies operating in the Kurdistan region to start discussions to make their operations compatible with applicable Iraqi law." According to the document, "the implementation of the court's decision will require changes in the contractual system of companies." An informed source added to Reuters, "The companies received a direct message from the Iraqi Oil Minister in this regard." "The messages were sent on May 8," the Reuters report added. Adding that it "represents the first direct contact between the ministry and the oil companies operating in the Kurdistan region." The move comes after years of attempts by the federal government to control KRG revenues, including local court rulings and threats of international arbitration. A legal adviser to the Iraqi Oil Ministry, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told Reuters that "a joint government committee that includes representatives from the Oil Ministry including the minister, the Iraqi National Oil Company and the Federal Financial Supervision Bureau will conduct a contractual review." The adviser added that "the goal is to eventually sign contracts with the central government, not the Kurdistan Regional Government." He referred to "the foreign oil companies present in the Kurdistan region, including Genel Energy, Chevron, Gulf Keystone and Cleary Gottlieb." In this regard, an official at the Ministry of Oil said, "The Ministry of Oil has not yet received responses from the concerned companies and can take further legal measures in case of non-response." While another representative of a foreign oil company told Reuters that "it is unlikely that foreign oil companies will deal with Baghdad directly without coordination with the Kurdistan Regional Government."

• Thanks 3

Would like to have had a bug in the room listening to all those discussions leading up to this decision.

Even with Kurdistan dealing from the bottom of the deck they came up short.

There's a limit to everything...time to stop whining ( & stealing-like that's gonna happen anytime soon ) & begin cooperating.

UN/WB/IMF & lord knows how many companies & countries are fed up with all the stonewalling, sandbagging & foot dragging from both countries - 19 years and what a mess. Glad to see some progress somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 5/21/2022 at 8:33 AM, Rochester said:

If all of this was incorporated under The Oil and Gas Law, then that may be a way both sides can find resolution, and begin to trust one another. If one side tries to bend the rule (law) then they can initiate a court case, and let the judge decide. Democracy in action. No influences from Trumped up charges, either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Baghdad: Huda Al-Azzawi 

After rounds of negotiations that did not reach a result or agreement, the Ministry of Oil started practical legal steps and procedures to implement the decisions of the Federal Court regarding oil and gas exported from the Kurdistan region and to place it under the authority of the Oil Marketing Company “SOMO.” Observers and politicians believed that implementing this step and limiting revenues in a transparent manner would end The differences and imports are more than what they are now according to the contracts of companies operating in the region, and questions remain about the possibility and extent of the ability of the Ministry of Oil in the federal government to implement the decision.
A member of the Parliamentary Economy and Industry Committee, Soran Omar, said in an interview with “Al-Sabah”: “The implementation of decisions related to the Federal Court needs to form the next new government, because the current government does not have sufficient powers for this purpose, and we believe that the legislation of the oil and gas law in this electoral cycle The only solution that represents a turning point to resolve the political and economic crises in the country."
And he indicated that "if the region delivers oil to the company (SOMO), its profits will be more than the current time, provided that its imports are transparent, as well as the adoption of the federal budget law and the guarantee of the right of the Kurds and the determined share of the region."
He pointed out that "the oil contracts concluded by companies with the region must be reformulated again, because they were not at the required level, such as the contracts of the federal government," stressing that "the federal government and the regional government must find a common solution to serve the people and citizens, and that imports be transparent and clear." He explained that "foreign oil companies have interests and partnerships with the region, and in the event of a crisis between the government and those companies in the region, the International Court in London is the one who decides the possibility of rescinding those contracts, and in this case these formulas and decisions will not be in favor of the Kurdistan region." That "there is clear resentment at the lack of transparency of oil contracts in the region." 
With regard to the problem of employee salaries in the region, Omar indicated that “the most catastrophic problem if the situation continues as it is now, and we believe that the delivery of oil to (SOMO) will solve the matter and imports will be more transparent, and the region’s share is guaranteed in the future. The Kurdistan region is affected by the current regime, and in the event of a lack of agreement, the greatest damage will be on the shoulders of the citizen who suffers from a very big economic crisis.”
With regard to the prospects for the success of the Ministry of Oil’s plan to place the oil and gas extracted from the region under the authority of the federal government represented by the company (SOMO), political and economic analyst, Nabil Jabbar Al-Ali, indicated in an interview with “Al-Sabah” that “the federal institutions and the Federal Oil Ministry - according to The international laws and norms and prevailing laws - in a position of strength compared to the position of the region, because the Iraqi system, according to its constitution, enjoys federalism, which usually grants the center exclusive powers over sovereign ministries or issues of a sovereign nature such as oil and gas produced and exported from the Kurdistan region, but the constitution itself has He put in one of his articles the possibility of joint management, and this article requires internal organization and prior negotiations to reach an acceptable final formula within the constitution to legislate the federal oil and gas law regulating the relationship between the region and the center.
And he indicated that "the dispute between the center and the region has been internationalized after Erbil, the capital of the Kurdistan region, asked the UN Security Council to send a special envoy to organize the relationship between the center and the region and the disputes resulting from the management and extraction of oil and gas. solve it locally.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Pow! 4

2 hours ago, new york kevin said:

If all of this was incorporated under The Oil and Gas Law, then that may be a way both sides can find resolution, and begin to trust one another. If one side tries to bend the rule (law) then they can initiate a court case, and let the judge decide. Democracy in action. No influences from Trumped up charges, either.

Good comment, thx

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Parliamentary Economy: There is a 'single solution' to the Kurdistan region's oil issue... the file towards internationalization

Baghdad - people  

A member of the Parliamentary Economy and Industry Committee, Soran Omar, said on Monday that the implementation of the decisions related to the Federal Court regarding the organization of the file of wealth in the Kurdistan region, especially oil, needs to form the next new government, while it expected the internationalization of the file.  

Omar added, in a statement to the official newspaper, followed by "Nass" (May 23, 2022), that "the current government does not have sufficient powers for this purpose, and we believe that the legislation of the oil and gas law in this electoral cycle is the only solution that represents a turning point for resolving the political and economic crises in the country." .  

And he indicated that "if the region delivers oil to the company (SOMO), its profits will be more than the current time, provided that its imports are transparent, as well as the adoption of the federal budget law and the guarantee of the right of the Kurds and the determined share of the region."  

He pointed out that "the oil contracts concluded by companies with the region must be reformulated again, because they were not at the required level as the contracts of the federal government," stressing that "the federal government and the regional government must find a common solution to serve the people and citizens, and that imports be transparent and clear."  

He explained that "foreign oil companies have interests and partnerships with the region, and in the event of a crisis between the government and those companies in the region, the International Court in London is the one who decides the possibility of rescinding those contracts, and in this case these formulas and decisions will not be in favor of the Kurdistan region." He added that "there is clear resentment at the lack of transparency of oil contracts in the region."   

With regard to the issue of employee salaries in the region, Omar indicated that "the most catastrophic problem if the situation continues as it is now, and we believe that the delivery of oil to (SOMO) will solve the matter and the imports will be more transparent, and the region's share is guaranteed in the future, the people of the region Kurdistan is affected by the current regime, and in the event of disagreement, the greatest damage will be on the shoulders of the citizen who suffers from a very big economic crisis.” 

• Upvote 3

Will Turkey and Israel allow the region to deliver its oil to Baghdad?

8-1653307068.jpg

The decision issued by the Federal Court in Iraq in February 2022 unconstitutional of the oil and gas law in the Kurdistan Regional Government and the necessity of obligating the region to hand over its oil to the federal government. He will find this decision more rejecters outside the borders than inside it. The Kurdistan region, which began selling its oil independently of the federal government in 2012 from the Tauki and Taq Taq fields through the government oil pipeline to the Turkish port of Ceyhan, angered the Federal Ministry of Oil, which made it file a lawsuit in In 2014, against the Ministry of Natural Resources in the regional government for exporting oil produced from the region and the city of Kirkuk without the approval of Baghdad, but successive governments often turned a blind eye to these agreements for political reasons related to the fact that the Kurds were the weight of the egg in the political agreements that were taking place to accept the position of Prime Minister nominated by the componentShiite to gain the satisfaction and acceptance of the Kurdish and Sunni parties.

In addition, the previous governments’ procrastination in opening this file in the Federal Court due to their utilitarian relations and interests with the region to the extent that the invitation was open until requests were received from the Prime Minister to decide on it.

The oil that the region exports through the mediation of Turkish companies and through auctions, most of it goes to Italy, France, Germany, the Netherlands and even South America, but specialists assert that 70% of the Kurdistan region’s oil covers Israel’s needs at very preferential and low prices in exchange for support from the Jewish lobby in America for the cause Kurdish.

In all this intertwining of interests and utilitarian interference, the most important question arises, which is will the countries that buy Kurdish oil at reduced prices, starting from its arrival in Turkish lands and its transfer to different regions of the world, especially Israel, allow them to stand still and submit to the court’s decision in Iraq that the export of oil from the region is unconstitutional? Will these countries succumb to the fait accompli, especially with all these price preferences and as desired, with the rise and rise of oil prices due to international crises and wars that the world is witnessing?

Perhaps the answer does not need a political scientist to answer that those countries will not stand idly by in the face of decisions that threaten their interests and the benefits of their countries, and those parties and interests will all be one front to prevent the entry into force of this decision or obstruct it and not implement it because it threatens their existence and economic interests.

The problem of Kurdish oil exported to countries abroad or to Israel is done through a third party or an intermediary, which is far from direct communication or agreement with those countries. .

In sum, Turkey does not hide its benefit from Kurdish oil through its lands and exports through its ports, but the difference is that Turkey wants Kurdish oil, but it will not allow the establishment of a Kurdish state, unlike the Israeli government, which desires the establishment of this state when Benjamin Netanyahu, the former Prime Minister, expressed in 2015 Israel’s position in support of the establishment of a state Kurdish people in northern Iraq, and despite the different strategies and political positions, the question remains, will they allow those countries to threaten their interests and cut off their benefits? Perhaps the answer will be lack of clarity if it is in an open image, but it will certainly be effective and powerful in secret and in secret and will be more ferocious, especially with the presence of weak federal governments in decision-making controlled by external interests and influences and orders from outside the borders in addition to personal interests and benefits that affect the sovereign decisions of the country that make This decision is nothing more than a dead letter.

• Upvote 2