Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Report: Facebook is moving to change its name to simulate the virtual world

Report: Facebook is moving to change its name to simulate the virtual world

Economie
Spread 
2 minutes reading

Archive photo of the Facebook brand Archive photo of the Facebook brandCredit: KIRILL KUDRYAVTSEV/AFP/Getty Images

Dubai, United Arab Emirates (CNN)--Facebook is seeking to change its name to reflect its orientation to a virtual world known as "Metaverse", according to what was published by "The Verge" on Tuesday.

This move comes as the company is under criticism from regulatory bodies around the world regarding its business.

The company is expected to announce the new name next week, according to the website, which mentioned a source directly related to the matter.

The site added that Facebook seeks to become more than just a company concerned with social networking.

In response to a possible name change, a Facebook spokesperson said the company does not comment on rumours.

Facebook also owns Instagram and WhatsApp. The three companies may become under one umbrella, similar to a structure adopted by Google, which falls under the parent company Alphabet.

The name change may reflect the direction the company is taking. The idea behind Metaverse is to integrate virtual reality technology with a new environment. Through this virtual world, people may be able to work, walk and meet in the Starbucks store virtually.

And Facebook announced earlier this week that it would employ 10,000 people in Europe to work on creating metaverses.

Changing the company's name may be part of its efforts to improve its reputation after a series of bad news that affected its platforms, such as misinformation and the negative impact on the mental health of some users.

• Thanks 4

Changing their name is NOT going to change the way they do business.  If they make these changes,  the Face Book people like to go to,  will stop existing, and a lot of people will probably stop going online altogether. I know I will.  I don't go there very much anymore as it is.  I say Good Riddance to Face Book. 🙋‍♀️ 

• Upvote 6

I shut Facebook and LinkedIn down three weeks ago. I found out through upper cyber intelligence that most robocalls and financial scams are through Facebook.   The cyber criminals can get your bank info and everything with a click of a few buttons. Took an agent three minutes to get all personal info and bank info, including card numbers off Facebook. 
After I shut it down the robocalls stopped.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2