Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Cannabidiol Inhibits SARS-CoV-2 Replication and Promotes the Host Innate Immune Response

bigwave

Cannabidiol Inhibits SARS-CoV-2 Replication and Promotes the Host Innate Immune Response

Abstract

The rapid spread of COVID-19 underscores the need for new treatments. Here we report that cannabidiol (CBD), a compound produced by the cannabis plant, inhibits SARS-CoV-2 infection. CBD and its metabolite, 7-OH-CBD, but not congeneric cannabinoids, potently block SARS-CoV-2 replication in lung epithelial cells. CBD acts after cellular infection, inhibiting viral gene expression and reversing many effects of SARS-CoV-2 on host gene transcription. CBD induces interferon expression and up-regulates its antiviral signaling pathway. A cohort of human patients previously taking CBD had significantly lower SARSCoV-2 infection incidence of up to an order of magnitude relative to matched pairs or the general population. This study highlights CBD, and its active metabolite, 7-OH-CBD, as potential preventative agents and therapeutic treatments for SARS-CoV-2 at early stages of infection.

Summary sentence:

Cannabidiol from the cannabis plant has potential to prevent and inhibit SARS-CoV-2 infection

For the rest of the article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7987002/

• Thanks 2
  • Pow! 4

46 minutes ago, Sage449 said:

how much CBD

Science Speak -

One can go to the discussion of these papers and get a good overview.

Then if it catches your interest you could go to the references:

Example:

"Although many CBD formulations are available on the market, they vary vastly in quality, the amount of CBD, and their pharmacokinetic properties after oral administration, which are mostly unknown. CBD is quite hydrophobic and forms large micellar structures that are trapped and broken down in the liver, thereby limiting the amount of drug available to other tissues after oral administration. The inactive carriers have a significant impact on clinically obtainable concentrations. As CBD is widely sold as a preparation in an edible oil, we analyzed flavored commercial hemp oils and found a CBD content of only 0.30% in a representative sample (fig. S12). The purity of CBD and, in particular, the composition of the materials labelled as CBD are also important."

Regarding the carcinoma:

"To test the effect of CBD on SARS-CoV-2 replication, we pretreated A549 human lung carcinoma cells expressing exogenous human ACE-2 receptor (A549-ACE2) for 2 hours with 0–10 μM CBD prior to infection with SARS-CoV-2. After 48 hours, we monitored cells for expression of the viral spike protein (S). For comparison, we also treated cells over a similar dose range with an MLK inhibitor (URMC-099) previously implicated as an antiviral for HIV (12) and KPT-9274, a PAK4/NAMPT inhibitor (13) that our analysis suggested might reverse many changes in gene expression caused by SARS-CoV-2."

What it boils down to:

CBD oils have varying strengths and it appears that a person is okay with "large" doses.

I don't think I will be drinking a gallon tonight but it is pretty easy to digest.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

😁😁😁 bigwave- got it and won't guzzle a gallon. I've used it on my horses and cat with mixed results, but did help. I studied in depth the different formulas etc for the animals. Gave it to my cat due to cancer and not eating, which helped in keeping food down. 

Gave it to my horses due to lameness issues. I don't think based on size/weight the dose was large enough. So mixed results there and became overly expensive. 

• Upvote 2

Thanks Bigwave.

Cannabis is an amazing plant. We have been taking CBD oil since early 2016.

The last 2 years or so we found a good source, very reasonable price and it is "Full Spectrum", which we have liked best. Full spectrum contains more cannabinoids in addition to CBD (Cannabidiol).

We buy the 'extra strength' 2 oz. bottle at Swanson Vitamins, usually well under $40 per bottle.

Currently, the Swanson brand "Extra Strength CBD Full Spectrum - Mint" is priced at $34.41 for a 2 oz. bottle.

It has been very effective for us. Some folks are expecting more of a "buzz" effect...what they want is not only the relaxation benefits, but what the CBD does inside the body.

Here is the latest COA analysis of the most recent batch as of March 2021. Impressive numbers I think.

https://media.swansonvitamins.com/pdfs/CBDLIQ25 lot 392008001 COA.pdf

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I forgot to mention...we used to spend over $100 per bottle when we first started taking CBD oil. It was very good oil, but after we found the Swanson brand, its quality has been very comparable to what we were spending 3 times more for.

Paying a higher price for something does not always mean you are getting a superior quality product, this seems true for CBD oil also. A lot of companies grabbed some serious dollars for this early on, but as more companies got into the scene, prices have come down. Supply and demand in action I guess. 

Edited by Jim1cor13
  • Like 2