Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

AMC to the MOON!

keylime

1 hour ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

Just curious, when a stock is split does that mean even the shorts are split?

My understanding is only the stock shares are split. Not the play on the stock. It's a borrowed share. The original share is split. The borrowed share remains singularly borrowed.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, keylime said:

My understanding is only the stock shares are split. Not the play on the stock. It's a borrowed share. The original share is split. The borrowed share remains singularly borrowed.

Thxs keylime. I was kind of wondering myself once LGD posed the question. Lets see what tomorrow brings. Hopefully the Hedgies will start throwing in the towel.

pp

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, pokerplayer said:

Thxs keylime. I was kind of wondering myself once LGD posed the question. Lets see what tomorrow brings. Hopefully the Hedgies will start throwing in the towel.

pp

Reasons for a Stock Split 

Why do companies go through the hassle and expense of a stock split? For a couple of very good reasons. First, a company often decides on a split when the stock price is quite high, making it expensive for investors to acquire a standard board lot of 100 shares.

Second, the higher number of shares outstanding can result in greater liquidity for the stock, which facilitates trading and may narrow the bid-ask spread. Increasing the liquidity of a stock makes trading in the stock easier for buyers and sellers. Liquidity lets traders and investors buy and sell shares in the company without too great an effect on the share price. That can help companies repurchase their shares at a lower cost, since their orders would not move up the share price of a more liquid stock as much. For some companies, this can mean significant savings.

While a split, in theory, should have no effect on a stock's price, it often results in renewed investor interest, which can have a positive effect on the stock price. While this effect may wane over time, stock splits by blue-chip companies are a bullish signal for investors.

Many of the best companies routinely see their share price return to levels at which they previously split the stock, leading to another stock split. Walmart, for instance, split its stock 11 times on a 2-for-1 basis between the retailer's stock-market debut in October 1970 and March 1999. An investor who bought 100 shares in Walmart’s initial public offering (IPO) would have seen that stake grow to 204,800 shares over the next 30 years without any additional purchases.1

Example of a Stock Split 

In August 2020, Apple (AAPL) split its shares 4-for-1.2 Right before the split, each share was trading at around $540. After the split, the price per share at the market open was $135 (approximately $540 ÷ 4).

An investor who owned 1,000 shares of the stock pre-split would have owned 4,000 shares post-split. Apple's outstanding shares increased from 3.4 billion to approximately 13.6 billion, while the market capitalization remained largely unchanged at $2 trillion.

Stock Splits vs. Reverse Stock Splits 

A traditional stock split is also known as a forward stock split. A reverse stock split is the opposite of a forward stock split. A company carrying out a reverse stock split decreases the number of its outstanding shares and increases the share price proportionately. As with a forward stock split, the market value of the company after a reverse stock split remains the same. A company that takes this corporate action might do so if its share price had decreased to a level at which it runs the risk of being delisted from an exchange for not meeting the minimum price required for a listing. Certain mutual funds may not invest in stocks priced below a preset minimum per share. A company might also opt for a reverse split to make its stock more appealing to investors who may perceive higher-priced shares as more valuable.

A reverse/forward stock split is a special stock split strategy used by companies to eliminate shareholders holding less than a certain number of shares. A reverse/forward stock split consists of a reverse stock split followed by a forward stock split. The reverse split reduces the overall number of shares a shareholder owns, causing some shareholders who hold less than the minimum required by the split to be cashed out. The forward stock split then increases the number of shares owned by the remaining shareholders.

What Happens If I Own Shares that Undergo a Stock Split?

When a stock splits, it credits shareholders of record with additional shares, which are reduced in price in a comparable manner. For instance, in a typical 2:1 stock split, if you owned 100 shares that were trading at $50 just before the split, you would then own 200 shares at $25 each. Your broker would handle this automatically, so there is nothing you need to do.

Will a Stock Split Affect My Taxes?

No. The receipt of the additional shares will not result in taxable income under existing U.S. law. The tax basis of each share owned after the stock split will be half of what it was before the split. 

Are Stock Splits Good or Bad?

Stock splits are generally done when the stock price of a company has risen so high that it might become an impediment to new investors. Therefore, a split is often the result of growth or the prospects of future growth, and it's a positive signal. Moreover, the price of a stock that has just split may see an uptick if the lower nominal share price attracts new investors.

Does the Stock Split Make the Company More or Less Valuable?

Stock splits neither add nor subtract fundamental value. The split increases the number of shares outstanding, but the company's overall value does not change. Immediately following the split the share price will proportionately adjust downward to reflect the company's market capitalization. If a company pays dividends, the dividend per share will be adjusted accordingly, keeping overall dividend payments the same. Splits are also non-dilutive, meaning that shareholders will retain the same voting rights they had beforehand.

Can a Stock Split Be Anything Other Than 2-for-1?

While a 2:1 stock split is the most common, any other ratio may be used so long as it is approved by the company's board of directors and, in some cases, by shareholders. Split ratios may be, for instance, 3:1, 10:1, 3:2, etc. In the last case, if you owned 100 shares you would receive 50 additional shares post-split

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3
  • Pow! 1

7 hours ago, jg1 said:

An investor who owned 1,000 shares of the stock pre-split would have owned 4,000 shares post-split.

Also stated above is that the broker would automatically take care of your shares during a split. The example being, if you had 100 shares at $50 then you would have 200 shares at $25 dollars. 

The question is, how do we know if we own a borrowed share or a share from the original float? And does our broker know this? 

If all shares owned by retail investors ((borrowed or not)) undergo a split wouldn't this create HUGE liquidity issues for a short seller? ((A HEDGIE))

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, pokerplayer said:

Already showing a $1.30 in the green with pre-trading fellow Apes. Going to be an Interesting day for sure.

I suspect a few blood vessels will burst on the Hedgies foreheads today !

Release the Kraken ! We Apes are ready to do battle !!

pp

Yes. One day someone will write a classic novel about this whole movement and title it

"The Apes of Wrath"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I had to back away yesterday after the first hour and a half of the market open. Otherwise I would definitely have said things I would later regret. 

Considering how morally corrupt our leaders are I sometimes wonder if this can happen. But in the end I  will walk on streets of Gold and the corrupt will swim in a lake of fire 🔥

Not that I want anyone to suffer such a fate but that is a choice we all must make. 

As for me I'm holding to the end. Doing so is exposing everyone to the corruption. The entire world is waking up to the corruption in America. Especially with respect to financial issues. From stealing Russia's money and taking them out of the SWIFT system. The world is saying we don't want to do business with America. 

Saudi Arabia just made a deal with China to sell oil for Yaun. And Nigeria has also left the Petro dollar. Russia told Europe that if they want their natural gas they must pay in Rupees. 

These nations are leaving the Petro dollar and that will take away America's world reserve status. 

It will cause all the dollars they held in their Central Banks to flood back into America and create a hyperinflation scenario the world has never seen before. 

So those corrupt morons running the stock market will eventually lose everything. And having been exposed no sane person will ever play their game again. 

• Upvote 2
  • Pow! 3

On 4/1/2022 at 4:40 AM, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

Also stated above is that the broker would automatically take care of your shares during a split. The example being, if you had 100 shares at $50 then you would have 200 shares at $25 dollars. 

The question is, how do we know if we own a borrowed share or a share from the original float? And does our broker know this? 

If all shares owned by retail investors ((borrowed or not)) undergo a split wouldn't this create HUGE liquidity issues for a short seller? ((A HEDGIE))

This would be a reason to do a share count which would trigger a share recall and automatic share buy back.

MOASS!!!

• Pow! 5

1 hour ago, jg1 said:

There it was, below $22 for how long,

10 days+ and No squeez. Now its down below $22. 
The wait continues, hopefully sooner than the dinar. Ohh boy. Corruption wins again.

Well we are in Ramadan season right now.  😬🤪

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

thinking about this, how AMC and the Dinar are similar investments.

* Both are investments that we, the little people were able to get in to.

* Both have the potential for extreme ROI

* Both were cheap to get in to

* Both seem to be heavily controlled by govt. or corporate entities

* Both invested in by work-a-day Joes/Josephine's

The Powers at be don't like the possibility of us Joes/Josephine's coming to their lawn parties after we're rich or successful. It is making them work overtime to slow or stop these investments.

Just an observation....................

• Upvote 2
  • Pow! 4

Oh I am so ready Pokerplayer!!!!!

We will teach them what don't mess with the mothers/girls really means  :D

Sorry PP I am playing catchup here.  

On 3/31/2022 at 4:41 PM, pokerplayer said:

Were about 40 minutes into after hours trading and it shows were up $1.35 already. Proof the hedgies have their dirty fingers in this. I have half a mind to go pick up nannab and head on over and we will give them a piece of our mind !!

I bet there really worried now if there reading this !!  :) 

Release the Kraken !!

pp

OMG Mark you and Davis411 can go as twins :eyebrows:

Although he has had his ready for the RV party 

for a few years now. :lol:

On 4/5/2022 at 4:27 PM, markb57 said:

and I want to show up at Oprah's pool party in the Hamptons wearing my leopard print speedo and swim fins.........................

couzin-eddie-pool-1_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1620514239

• Haha 2