Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Biden On Chauvin Trial: 'I'm Praying The Verdict Is The Right Verdict'

Biden on Chauvin trial: 'I'm praying the verdict is the right verdict'

Dylan Stableford
Dylan Stableford
·Senior Writer
Tue, April 20, 2021, 12:56 PM

Speaking to reporters at the White House on Tuesday, President Biden was asked about his phone call to the family of George Floyd as the jury deliberates the case against Derek Chauvin, the former Minneapolis police officer charged with Floyd’s murder.

The president said he waited until the jury was sequestered on Monday afternoon before making the call.

“I’ve come to know George’s family,” Biden said. "I can only imagine the pressure and anxiety they are feeling. And so I waited until the jury was sequestered, and I called.”

Philonise Floyd, George's brother, revealed on NBC's "Today" show that Biden had called his family Monday to say he was praying for them.

"I wasn't going to say anything about it, but Philonise said it today on television," Biden explained.

President Biden pauses during a meeting in the Oval Office Tuesday. (Photo by Doug Mills-Pool/Getty Images)

President Biden at a meeting in the Oval Office on Tuesday. (Doug Mills-Pool/Getty Images)

“They’re a good family, and they’re calling for peace and tranquility no matter what that verdict is,” the president said. “And I’m praying the verdict is the right verdict, which is — I think it’s overwhelming in my view.”

Chauvin is facing three charges in the death of Floyd: second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter. The jury could convict him on all three, two, one or none.

"He was just calling," Philonise Floyd said of the president on "Today." "He knows how it is to lose a family member, and he knows the process of what we're going through. So he was just letting us know that he was praying for us, hoping that everything will come out to be OK."

Biden frequently bonds with people over shared grief. His first wife, Neilia, and 1-year-old daughter Naomi died in a car crash in 1972. Biden's son Beau died of brain cancer in 2015.

https://news.yahoo.com/biden-chauvin-trial-george-floyd-praying-for-right-verdict-165611896.html

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

54 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

Biden on Chauvin trial: 'I'm praying the verdict is the right verdict'

Dylan Stableford
Dylan Stableford
·Senior Writer
Tue, April 20, 2021, 12:56 PM

Speaking to reporters at the White House on Tuesday, President Biden was asked about his phone call to the family of George Floyd as the jury deliberates the case against Derek Chauvin, the former Minneapolis police officer charged with Floyd’s murder.

The president said he waited until the jury was sequestered on Monday afternoon before making the call.

“I’ve come to know George’s family,” Biden said. "I can only imagine the pressure and anxiety they are feeling. And so I waited until the jury was sequestered, and I called.”

Philonise Floyd, George's brother, revealed on NBC's "Today" show that Biden had called his family Monday to say he was praying for them.

"I wasn't going to say anything about it, but Philonise said it today on television," Biden explained.

President Biden pauses during a meeting in the Oval Office Tuesday. (Photo by Doug Mills-Pool/Getty Images)

President Biden at a meeting in the Oval Office on Tuesday. (Doug Mills-Pool/Getty Images)

“They’re a good family, and they’re calling for peace and tranquility no matter what that verdict is,” the president said. “And I’m praying the verdict is the right verdict, which is — I think it’s overwhelming in my view.”

Chauvin is facing three charges in the death of Floyd: second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter. The jury could convict him on all three, two, one or none.

"He was just calling," Philonise Floyd said of the president on "Today." "He knows how it is to lose a family member, and he knows the process of what we're going through. So he was just letting us know that he was praying for us, hoping that everything will come out to be OK."

Biden frequently bonds with people over shared grief. His first wife, Neilia, and 1-year-old daughter Naomi died in a car crash in 1972. Biden's son Beau died of brain cancer in 2015.

https://news.yahoo.com/biden-chauvin-trial-george-floyd-praying-for-right-verdict-165611896.html

GO RV, then BV

12 Jurors....whatever the verdict is it will be the right one.....that's how the system was designed.....and of course there is the appeal process... 

I agree with the Judge...... the Politicians with their politics should stay out of it....let the process work.....

CL

• Upvote 8

ABC News

Here's how long Derek Chauvin could spend in prison

IVAN PEREIRA and WHITNEY LLOYD
Tue, April 20, 2021, 7:08 PM·1 min read

Derek Chauvin's conviction on all three charges stemming from the May 25, 2020, death of George Floyd could lead to a sentence that lasts decades -- and to another court battle.

Chauvin will learn his fate in eight weeks, when Judge Peter Cahill hands down punishment to the former police officer who was found guilty on Tuesday of second-degree murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter.

PHOTO: Hennepin County Judge Peter Cahill speaks at during the verdict announcement in the trial of Derek Chauvin at the Hennepin County Courthouse in Minneapolis, April 20 2021. (ABC News)

PHOTO: Hennepin County Judge Peter Cahill speaks at during the verdict announcement in the trial of Derek Chauvin at the Hennepin County Courthouse in Minneapolis, April 20 2021. (ABC News)

Under Minnesota sentencing guidelines, for a person with no criminal history, each murder charge carries a presumptive sentence of 12 1/2 years, while a manslaughter conviction has a presumptive sentence of four years.

But each count carries a different maximum sentence -- 40 years for second-degree unintentional murder, 25 years for third-degree murder, 10 years for second-degree manslaughter.

Abrams predicted that the prosecution will ask the judge to sentence Chauvin to more years in prison.

PHOTO: Former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin stands with Defense attorney Eric Nelson, left, after the verdict was read at the conclusion of his trial in the death of George Floyd, April 20 2021, at the Hennepin County Courthouse in Minneapolis. (Court TV via ABC News)

PHOTO: Former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin stands with Defense attorney Eric Nelson, left, after the verdict was read at the conclusion of his trial in the death of George Floyd, April 20 2021, at the Hennepin County Courthouse in Minneapolis. (Court TV via ABC News)

Chauvin will be sentenced on the second-degree murder because, per state law, it's the single most serious charge. Although sentencing guidelines suggest it's more likely he could get closer to 15 years, prosecutors likely will argue otherwise, citing aggravating factors -- minors at the scene watched Floyd die, in one example -- that could push 15 years closer to 40.

"That is the next big debate in the case, over exactly what should be the sentence for Derek Chauvin," said ABC News Legal Analyst Dan Abrams, who said he expects the prosecution to push for a longer sentence.

Chauvin was remanded into custody following the jury verdict. During the end of closing arguments, the former officer waived his right to have a jury decide his sentencing. Cahill alone will decide.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/heres-whats-next-derek-chauvins-230800249.html

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

The Week

Fox News' Jeanine Pirro says facts 'clearly' supported Chauvin's conviction

Brendan Morrow
Tue, April 20, 2021, 6:17 PM

f40510b558191e16d37f19e810a4eba3

Even Fox News' Jeanine Pirro is backing the jury's verdict in former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin's murder trial, agreeing the facts "clearly" supported his conviction.

The Fox host and former judge voiced her approval on Tuesday after Chauvin was found guilty of murdering George Floyd.

"Clearly, the verdict is supported by the facts," Pirro said. "The facts are solid on this verdict. This verdict will be upheld on appeal."

Chauvin was convicted on charges of second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder, and second-degree manslaughter after kneeling on Floyd's neck for more than nine minutes. His conviction, Pirro argued, is evidence that the "American justice system works."

Later on, though, the Fox broadcast went a bit off the rails as host Greg Gutfeld bizarrely declared he's "glad" Chauvin was convicted on all of the charges "even if he might not be guilty" on all of them — prompting Gutfeld's Fox colleagues, including Pirro, to react in disgust.

More stories from theweek.com

https://news.yahoo.com/fox-news-jeanine-pirro-says-221700078.html

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I won't be surprised if the case is overturned and a new trial is set. Sequestered jurists.

It will be overturned on the premise the jury was intimidated by the acts against witnesses that testified and what Waters did.

No jurist wants to make a decision that could blowback on their family or home. 

They did what the SC did. They were probably afraid of more riots and burning.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

This whole racial thing in this country is coming to a head. I think these communist, marxist fools think the American people are going to keep bending over and grabbing their ankles everytime they whine or scream racisim. How long will the silent majority that love this country keep quiet. I do not know but there WILL come a tipping point and when it does it won't be pretty.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, md11fr8dawg said:

This whole racial thing in this country is coming to a head. I think these communist, marxist fools think the American people are going to keep bending over and grabbing their ankles everytime they whine or scream racisim. How long will the silent majority that love this country keep quiet. I do not know but there WILL come a tipping point and when it does it won't be pretty.

The American people at the throats of......the American people.  As in, we're all Americans.  I'm curious, do you think Officer Chauvin is innocent?  Do you think it was necessary for him to keep the pressure on his neck in the minutes after Floyd went unconscious?

Business Insider

Ted Cruz says Biden's comments about the Derek Chauvin verdict are 'grounds for a mistrial'

Thomas Colson
Wed, April 21, 2021, 8:22 AM

Ted Cruz

Sen. Ted Cruz. Tom Williams/CQ-Roll Call, Inc via Getty Images

President Joe Biden's comments about the trial of Derek Chauvin, the former police officer who was convicted of murdering George Floyd, provided potential "grounds for a mistrial," Sen. Ted Cruz said on Tuesday.

Biden had commented on the trial as the jury deliberated on its verdict, saying: "I'm praying that the verdict is the right verdict, which I think, it's overwhelming in my view," to reporters at the White House on Tuesday.

Chauvin was subsequently convicted of second-degree murder, third-degree murder, and manslaughter in Floyd's death.

President Biden noted that he had waited until the jury sequestered before making the comments. "I wouldn't say that unless the jury was sequestered now, not hearing me say that," he said.

Watch: Berman on Cruz's latest tweet - 'The pot calling the kettle violent'

But Cruz criticized Biden's comments before the verdict was announced, saying they risked providing Chauvin with a potential route of appeal if he was found guilty of the charges against him.

"Joe Biden decides that Maxine Waters shouldn't be the only politician foolishly providing grounds for a mistrial or a possible basis on appeal to challenge any guilty conviction," Cruz said on Twitter on Tuesday.

-Ted Cruz (@tedcruz) April 20, 2021

Defense attorneys can cite public officials' comments as grounds to appeal a verdict, The Associated Press reported, because they could cause the jury to turn against a defendant.

Rep. Maxine Waters was criticized by Republican lawmakers including Cruz after she encouraged demonstrators in Minnesota to continue demonstrating against police brutality. "We've got to get more confrontational," she said.

The president had previously declined to weigh in on Chauvin's trial and said it would be improper to speak during an active judicial process, the AP reported.

The White House press secretary Jen Psaki defended Biden's comments on Tuesday but refused to explain whether he had intended to mean that Chauvin should be found guilty.

"I don't think he would see it as weighing in on the verdict. ... He also noted, the jury is sequestered," she said.

The judge in Chauvin's trial, Peter Cahill, had previously criticized officials weighing in on the trial, specifically referring to Waters' comments.

"I wish elected officials would stop talking about this case, especially in a manner that's disrespectful to the rule of law and to the judicial branch and our function," he said after sending the jury out to deliberate, per Reuters.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ted-cruz-says-bidens-comments-122212699.html

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Say hi to your phony heroes

Armani DeJesus
12 hours ago (edited)
So Will Smith, Kobe Bryant,  Michael Jordan, Shaq, Jay Z, Tiger Woods and 100000 NFL and NBA millionaire black players are oppressed? Could of fooled me! 🤔

david bunshak
11 hours ago
Am from Nigeria..... After watching clips of the prosecutor and the defendant, I come to realize that the conviction was politicize to gain favour from the black community. I pray the innocent people don't fall prey. God help America and Nigeria

Duckie Duckie
12 hours ago (edited)
If your a cop I would like to said thank you for your service, your put your life out there to protect us and keep us safe, thank you lady's  and gentlemen in the blue God bless you🇺🇸

Mary Haddock
12 hours ago
What sad terrible time we're living in. God help our children and grandkids.

Zuzus Petals
11 hours ago
This is sick and perverse. In God we trust. For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world!

Liz Santiago
12 hours ago
If Martin Luther King was alive he would be so disappointed 😢 
MLK literally lost his life for nothing

Whispering Wind
11 hours ago
When you have to announce your ok with your skin color, you’re probably not..... When you really love yourself you don’t have to announce it 

CBS News

Alternate juror in Chauvin trial on testimony that "really got to me"

38062187610028e52bb1489063faee4e

Alternate juror in Chauvin trial on testimony that "really got to me"

Jamie Yuccas
Thu, April 22, 2021, 8:06 AM

Lisa Christensen sat through every minute of the trial of Derek Chauvin as prosecutors and the defense each made their case in the killing of George Floyd.

She was an alternate juror, so she did not have a role in the verdict, but in an exclusive interview for "CBS This Morning," she said she was happy with the jury's decision to convict Chauvin after weeks of hard testimony. Christensen said she was reluctant to be on the jury when she was first called up.

"I was worried about, you know, whatever the verdict may be if some people felt strongly on one side, other people felt strongly on the other side. So no matter what, I felt like somebody wasn't going to be happy," Christensen told CBS News' Jamie Yuccas.

She was known to the court as juror number 96, and even though she wasn't part of the deliberations, she came to a decision.

"I felt he was guilty. They read the jury instructions to us in the courtroom briefly, but I didn't know it was going to be guilty on all counts but I would have said guilty," Christensen said.

"Why did you think he was guilty? What led you to that belief?" Yuccas asked.

"I just felt like the prosecution made a really good, strong argument. Dr. Tobin was the one that really did it for me. He explained everything. I understood it down to where he said this is the moment that he lost his life, really got to me," she replied.

During the 13 days of sometimes tense and emotional testimony and cross-examination, both the prosecution and defense promised the jury that they were going to prove their case, but Christensen said only one side did.

"So who made an impact with the defense? Good or bad?" Yuccas asked. "I don't think they had a good impact," Christensen said in reference to Chauvin's defense team.

"I think he over-promised in the beginning and didn't live up to what he said he was going to do," Christensen said.

The prosecution did have a witness that made an impact on Christensen - Darnella Frazier, the teen who filmed the video showing Chauvin pressing his knee into Floyd's neck for more than nine minutes.

"I really felt that she felt guilty for not doing more and she feels responsible in a way, and I feel really bad for her. But I commend her on taking the video because, without her, I don't think this would have been possible," Christensen said.

The nine-and-a-half minute video has been seen worldwide by millions of people, but up until the trial, Christensen hadn't watched it in its entirety. She went from watching pieces of it two or three times on the news to watching the full video several times.

"It was emotional. I think my eyes teared up a couple of times, so especially seeing it from different angles and things," she said.

Christensen said she locked eyes several times with Chauvin during the trial due to seating arrangements. She said she was "pretty uncomfortable" and got another impression of him as she watched the video.

"I felt like he was the leader, and the other officers were following his lead. I kind of felt like he wasn't taking the warnings seriously, obviously, kind of like I know what I'm doing," Christensen said.

Christensen and another alternate juror were excused after Judge Peter Cahill sent the jurors to deliberate. Two days later, and after more than 10 hours of deliberation, Chauvin was found guilty of unintentional second-degree murder, third-degree murder, and second-degree manslaughter in George Floyd's death. He faces decades in prison and will be sentenced by Judge Cahill in about eight weeks.

While the trial may be over, Christensen said it will have an impact on her a while.

"I just don't understand how it got from a counterfeit 20 dollar bill to a death. It kind of shocks me," she said.

Christensen lives in Brooklyn Center, the city where Daunte Wright was shot by a police officer nearly two weeks ago. She said those protests did not play into her decision about Chauvin being guilty. Wright will be laid to rest Thursday and the Floyd family will be in attendance.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/alternate-juror-chauvin-trial-testimony-120600875.html

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1

2 hours ago, md11fr8dawg said:

Recently, the Holy Spirit revealed to me the ONLY WAY to stop this Diabolical takeover of our Republic. It's not fighting each other, it's not attacking the media or the political elites of the world. 

Know this, the only way to destroy the stranglehold on our FREEDOMS is by doing something so radical that they never thought we would think of it. Furthermore, they certainly don't expect a majority of Americans to do this. 

We MUST remove ALL THEIR POWER  by intentionally collapsing the dollar. 

The current Fiat currency Ponzi scheme is designed to blind people from the very fact that it's based ENTIRELY ON PRECIOUS METALS. 

They built their system in order to prevent us from owning, or even wanting, Silver and Gold. All the while they used the Fiat currency to buy all the Silver and Gold they could. 

Worse they rigged the system using Derivatives over practically every commodity to obtain ultimate power over us. However, in doing so they have created the ability to destroy their own system. 

By purchasing as little as 25 ounces of Silver we can force a run on the Comex Silver Derivatives. According to the contracts the Banks would have to settle in dollars. And guess what? They don't have enough currency to buy all the contracts. The Banks would be Bankrupt. 

This will create a very difficult economic environment, Nevertheless the alternative is to become slaves forever under the control of people like Pi$$loosy and Crazy Maxine Waters. 

If we all begin to spread the word, we can come together as one people and change the world without fighting. Black, White, Hispanic, Asian and every other ethnic group there is. By destroying their own Fiat Ponzi scheme we destroy THEM. 

• Upvote 1

USA TODAY

Fact check: Minnesota police association covering Chauvin's defense, not Trump

McKenzie Sadeghi, USA TODAY
Wed, April 21, 2021, 10:49 AM

The claim: Trump paid for Chauvin's legal fees

Shortly after the prosecution and defense rested their cases in the murder trial of Derek Chauvin for the death of George Floyd, an article was circulating claiming former President Donald Trump picked up Chauvin's legal fees.

Chauvin, a former Minneapolis police officer, faced murder and manslaughter charges over the death of Floyd, a 46-year-old Black man. He was unarmed when he died May 25, after Chauvin kneeled on his neck for more than nine minutes.

The claim that Trump is paying Chauvin's legal fees originated in an April 17 article from americaslastlineofdefense.com – a satire site – headlined, "Trump Picking Up Officer Chauvin's Legal Fees."

Some social media users shared the article on Facebook as fact, and one user received criticism in the comments for not realizing the story was satire.

In response, the poster responde,d writing, "I did not comment on Trump picking up the tab. I commented that no matter the circumstances they are entitled to representation like anyone else."

Article is satire

While the article's thumbnail and headline give the impression of an authentic news report, the story comes from America's Last Line of Defense, a satirical site that publishes fictitious content.

"Everything on this website is fiction. It is not a lie and it is not fake news because it is not real. If you believe that it is real, you should have your head examined," reads the site's "About Us" page.

The story was filed under "Trump-Adjacent Satire." The article claims Trump called the "accusations" against Chauvin a "witch hunt," mocking Trump's comments in 2019 when the House launched an impeachment inquiry against him.

The creator of America's Last Line of Defense, Christopher Blair, previously told USA TODAY that its articles have "zero in common with reality" and they follow one rule, which is "that the piece has to be ridiculous."

In this image from video, former Minneapolis police Officer Derek Chauvin listens as his defense attorney Eric Nelson gives closing arguments as Hennepin County Judge Peter Cahill preside Monday, April 19, 2021, in the trial of Chauvin at the Hennepin County Courthouse in Minneapolis.

In this image from video, former Minneapolis police Officer Derek Chauvin listens as his defense attorney Eric Nelson gives closing arguments as Hennepin County Judge Peter Cahill preside Monday, April 19, 2021, in the trial of Chauvin at the Hennepin County Courthouse in Minneapolis.

Legal fees paid by Minnesota Police and Peace Officers Association

Chauvin's defense is being funded by the Minnesota Police and Peace Officers Association, which represents more than 10,000 officers around the state.

Brian Peters, the executive director of the police group, confirmed to KARE-TV 11 that his organization was covering Chauvin's defense.

He said Chauvin is getting the same treatment as any other member and "we can't pick and choose which cases we're going to defend or not defend."

All members of the association are entitled to "legal representation in any civil or criminal action brought against him or her arising from any act or omission of the Participant within the scope of his or her employment," KARE reported.

Our rating: Satire

The claim that Trump is paying Chauvin's legal fees is SATIRE, based on our research. The claim originated on a satirical website that publishes fictitious stories. Chauvin's legal fees are being paid by a Minnesota police association's defense fund, which all members of the organization are entitled to.

Our fact-check sources:

https://news.yahoo.com/fact-check-minnesota-police-union-141942540.html

GO RV, then BV

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Shabibilicious said:

The American people at the throats of......the American people.  As in, we're all Americans.  I'm curious, do you think Officer Chauvin is innocent?  Do you think it was necessary for him to keep the pressure on his neck in the minutes after Floyd went unconscious?

No Shabs, I don't think it was necessary for officer Chauvin to keep his knee on Floyds neck that long. However a couple of points if I may. 1. Floyd was saying he could not breathe LONG before he was on the ground, due to all the illegal drugs in his system. He was acting irrational. But the main point #2 is if he had done what the police asked him to do and gotten his ass in that cop car he would still be alive and all of this would have NEVER happened. The man had a rap sheet as long as my leg over the years and yet the city of Minneapoplis settled a lawsuit with his family for $27 million before the trial even started. Maybre not to you, but to me it looks like a shake down.

• Like 1
  • Pow! 3

5 minutes ago, md11fr8dawg said:

No Shabs, I don't think it was necessary for officer Chauvin to keep his knee on Floyds neck that long. However a couple of points if I may. 1. Floyd was saying he could not breathe LONG before he was on the ground, due to all the illegal drugs in his system. He was acting irrational. But the main point #2 is if he had done what the police asked him to do and gotten his ass in that cop car he would still be alive and all of this would have NEVER happened. The man had a rap sheet as long as my leg over the years and yet the city of Minneapoplis settled a lawsuit with his family for $27 million before the trial even started. Maybre not to you, but to me it looks like a shake down.

At the end of the day, he's still dead......and not because of drugs.  I don't really understand your shake down comment.  Sounds like you're saying G. Floyd sacrificed his own life to enrich his family....and yet you also mentioned he was on drugs and acting irrational.  How could he sacrifice himself willingly and yet be irrational at the same time?  If I'm misunderstanding your "shake down" comment, please enlighten me. 

GO RV, then BV

Why would anyone settle a wrongful death case until a trial was conducted and ALL the facts were in and a guilty or not guilty verdict rendered? Makes absolutely NO sense. How stupid would the city of Minneaplois have looked if the verdict had come back not guilty. And they had a big funeral in Texas for Floyd with the "Justice Brothers" (sorry I meant Just Us Brothers) Ole Jesse and Big Head Sharpton presiding and a gold casket and made the guy out to be a saint beyond reproach and yet this thug had beaten a couple of people withing an inch of their life. Now we are gonna name streets and boulevards after a life long criminal (that's fine with the left, BLM and antifa) but we must tear down statues, move graves, change the names of schools, of people who were instrumental in the founding and progress of the greatest nation this planet has ever seen. And now they want to hang another cop in Ohio for shooting a black teen with a knife getting ready to kill another teen in cold blood. Some system we are developing in our country today, wouldn't you say Shabs?? YEA, defund ALL police. What could possibly go wrong??

• Upvote 3
  • Pow! 1

34 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:
USA TODAY

Fact check: Minnesota police association covering Chauvin's defense, not Trump

McKenzie Sadeghi, USA TODAY
Wed, April 21, 2021, 10:49 AM

The claim: Trump paid for Chauvin's legal fees

Shortly after the prosecution and defense rested their cases in the murder trial of Derek Chauvin for the death of George Floyd, an article was circulating claiming former President Donald Trump picked up Chauvin's legal fees.

Chauvin, a former Minneapolis police officer, faced murder and manslaughter charges over the death of Floyd, a 46-year-old Black man. He was unarmed when he died May 25, after Chauvin kneeled on his neck for more than nine minutes.

The claim that Trump is paying Chauvin's legal fees originated in an April 17 article from americaslastlineofdefense.com – a satire site – headlined, "Trump Picking Up Officer Chauvin's Legal Fees."

Some social media users shared the article on Facebook as fact, and one user received criticism in the comments for not realizing the story was satire.

In response, the poster responde,d writing, "I did not comment on Trump picking up the tab. I commented that no matter the circumstances they are entitled to representation like anyone else."

Article is satire

While the article's thumbnail and headline give the impression of an authentic news report, the story comes from America's Last Line of Defense, a satirical site that publishes fictitious content.

"Everything on this website is fiction. It is not a lie and it is not fake news because it is not real. If you believe that it is real, you should have your head examined," reads the site's "About Us" page.

The story was filed under "Trump-Adjacent Satire." The article claims Trump called the "accusations" against Chauvin a "witch hunt," mocking Trump's comments in 2019 when the House launched an impeachment inquiry against him.

The creator of America's Last Line of Defense, Christopher Blair, previously told USA TODAY that its articles have "zero in common with reality" and they follow one rule, which is "that the piece has to be ridiculous."

In this image from video, former Minneapolis police Officer Derek Chauvin listens as his defense attorney Eric Nelson gives closing arguments as Hennepin County Judge Peter Cahill preside Monday, April 19, 2021, in the trial of Chauvin at the Hennepin County Courthouse in Minneapolis.

In this image from video, former Minneapolis police Officer Derek Chauvin listens as his defense attorney Eric Nelson gives closing arguments as Hennepin County Judge Peter Cahill preside Monday, April 19, 2021, in the trial of Chauvin at the Hennepin County Courthouse in Minneapolis.

Legal fees paid by Minnesota Police and Peace Officers Association

Chauvin's defense is being funded by the Minnesota Police and Peace Officers Association, which represents more than 10,000 officers around the state.

Brian Peters, the executive director of the police group, confirmed to KARE-TV 11 that his organization was covering Chauvin's defense.

He said Chauvin is getting the same treatment as any other member and "we can't pick and choose which cases we're going to defend or not defend."

All members of the association are entitled to "legal representation in any civil or criminal action brought against him or her arising from any act or omission of the Participant within the scope of his or her employment," KARE reported.

Our rating: Satire

The claim that Trump is paying Chauvin's legal fees is SATIRE, based on our research. The claim originated on a satirical website that publishes fictitious stories. Chauvin's legal fees are being paid by a Minnesota police association's defense fund, which all members of the organization are entitled to.

Our fact-check sources:

https://news.yahoo.com/fact-check-minnesota-police-union-141942540.html

GO RV, then BV

Poor form Shabbs. The title reads as if Trump made the statement he paid for the defense when in fact it was a satire.

False news to sell a paper. The paper knew it was a satire yet printed it anyway.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, md11fr8dawg said:

Why would anyone settle a wrongful death case until a trial was conducted and ALL the facts were in and a guilty or not guilty verdict rendered? Makes absolutely NO sense. How stupid would the city of Minneaplois have looked if the verdict had come back not guilty. And they had a big funeral in Texas for Floyd with the "Justice Brothers" (sorry I meant Just Us Brothers) Ole Jesse and Big Head Sharpton presiding and a gold casket and made the guy out to be a saint beyond reproach and yet this thug had beaten a couple of people withing an inch of their life. Now we are gonna name streets and boulevards after a life long criminal (that's fine with the left, BLM and antifa) but we must tear down statues, move graves, change the names of schools, of people who were instrumental in the founding and progress of the greatest nation this planet has ever seen. And now they want to hang another cop in Ohio for shooting a black teen with a knife getting ready to kill another teen in cold blood. Some system we are developing in our country today, wouldn't you say Shabs?? YEA, defund ALL police. What could possibly go wrong??

Sounds a little like you've lost any taste for humanity.  Look, I have no idea how any of it affects you and yours, so I'm not going to speculate as to your situation.  All I can do is look at it from where I live, and what I saw with my own eyes....the man was killed for no reason, as he was subdued, he was cuffed, he was zero threat to Chauvin when the life was choked out of him.  It shouldn't be a black and white thing, but sadly, as the numbers always indicate, a black man is most definitely more likely to suffer at the hands of police than a white man.  It's simply a fact, and that's why these situations always devolve into a racial battle.  I personally know people who believe their whiteness is under assault, and who honestly believe their white skin makes them better human beings.  That's some scary stuff right there, so it's no wonder monuments, street names, school names, etc., to southern civil war icons are under attack.  What they stood for, other than state's rights, was slavery, plain and simple.

GO RV, then BV

• Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, nstoolman1 said:

Poor form Shabbs. The title reads as if Trump made the statement he paid for the defense when in fact it was a satire.

False news to sell a paper. The paper knew it was a satire yet printed it anyway.

Not poor form, fact check.  Pure and simple.  DJT supporters should be happy he had no involvement in the case.  :shrug:  Is USA Today on the unacceptable media list?....asking for a friend.

GO RV, then BV

Business Insider

Cops are willing to admit Derek Chauvin is a murderer. Right-wing media stars are still struggling with that fact.

Anthony L. Fisher
Wed, April 21, 2021, 2:10 PM

Derek Chauvin trial guilty sign

People react after the verdict was read in the Derek Chauvin trial on Tuesday In Minneapolis. Scott Olson/Getty Images
  • Derek Chauvin was convicted of murdering George Floyd. Even police unions think the jury got it right.

• But right-wing snowflakes can't accept it. They need to believe it was a politically motivated show trial.

• It's how anti-reform conservatives let their feelings get in the way of facts.

• This is an opinion column. The thoughts expressed are those of the author.

Derek Chauvin murdered George Floyd.

We can say that now, after a jury of Chauvin's peers said the former Minneapolis police officer committed second-degree murder when he knelt on Floyd's neck.

Several of Chauvin's colleagues broke the blue wall of silence and testified against him during the trial. The pro-law-enforcement former prosecutor and judge Jeanine Pirro told her fellow Fox News panelists that the jury came to the correct conclusion based on facts, adding, "This verdict will be held on appeal."

Even the nation's largest police union - typically the most immovable opponent of police accountability - said the second-degree murder conviction was the right call.

But even though due process was served and a fair trial was held, a lot of the media's most prominent right-of-center voices are desperately clinging to the notion that Chauvin's murder conviction is the result of a predetermined show trial.

"Mob justice" is how the Blaze TV commentator Candace Owens characterized the extraordinarily rare occurrence of a police officer being held accountable for the cold-blooded killing of a Black man.

That's the narrative, and the "Blue Lives Matter" right is sticking to it.

Right-wing snowflakes have a meltdown

In the interest of calling balls and strikes, there were some irresponsible comments from left-of-center figures before the jury's verdict.

Rep. Maxine Waters didn't do anyone any favors when she urged protesters to "get more confrontational" if Chauvin were to be acquitted. The CNN legal analyst Laura Coates insinuated that Chauvin's defense attorneys explaining reasonable doubt to a jury was somehow evidence of guilt. And it is not the place of a president to say he's praying for "the right verdict" of a jury trial, as Joe Biden did.

Despite these kerfuffles, there's no evidence they affected the jury - which had been partially sequestered - or its relatively quick decision to convict Chauvin of all three charges he faced.

But a lot of popular right-of-center media figures don't see it that way.

Chauvin "did not get a fair trial as everyone from rioters to a member of Congress to the POTUS tampered with the outcome," the Pizzagate propagandist Mike Cernovich said. "Today is one of national disgrace - a true insurrection." Cernovich added that the trial was "worse than January 6th," referring, of course, to the deadly riot by Trump supporters who overwhelmed the US Capitol.

The "Dilbert" creator turned Trump sycophant Scott Adams tweeted, "There's a fine line between justice and human sacrifice."

Ben Shapiro tweeted that he thought a manslaughter conviction was more a reasonable consequence for Chauvin. Then he opined that "no evidence was presented that Floyd's killing was racist, but Chauvin was convicted of that, and so was America."

Shapiro's most famous quip is "facts don't care about your feelings," but it is inaccurate to assert that Chauvin was convicted of racism, or that America was on trial at all.

Tucker Carlson said the jury was saying "please don't hurt us" with its decision to convict. Later in his show, he abruptly cut off his guest Ed Gavin, a former New York City corrections officer, for having the temerity to criticize Chauvin's actions as "excessive."

The Trump-supporting "disaffected liberal" vlogger Tim Pool tweeted, "Cops need to resign en masses now." Pool later added: "I'm over it. Abolish police or whatever. I own guns. It's the cities that want this and it's the cities that will suffer because of it."

This is a collective meltdown of anti-anti-Chauvinism.

If unedited video evidence of a cold-blooded murder stokes public outrage, that doesn't mean the accused cannot get a fair trial.

If police brutality and the institutional blocks on accountability are thrust into the national spotlight, that doesn't mean "all police" or "America" is on trial.

And if a bad cop gets sent to prison for committing an act so unconscionable that police unions won't defend it, it doesn't mean that the "woke, Marxist, BLM" brigades have imposed "anarcho-tyranny," as Andrew Torba, CEO of the far-right-friendly social-media site Gab, said in a statement.

The mental gymnastics and conspiratorial leaps of logic required to believe that Chauvin's conviction somehow portends an end to the rule of law in America are formidable.

It's how anti-reform conservatives let their feelings get in the way of facts.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cops-willing-derek-chauvin-murderer-181009721.html

GO RV, then BV

• Downvote 1

40 minutes ago, md11fr8dawg said:

Do you think we’ll ever hear that Floyd family paid some of that $27 million they received forward to the victims that George Floyd hurt and robbed ? 

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, md11fr8dawg said:

Why would anyone settle a wrongful death case until a trial was conducted and ALL the facts were in and a guilty or not guilty verdict rendered? Makes absolutely NO sense. How stupid would the city of Minneaplois have looked if the verdict had come back not guilty. 

Don't forget, O.J. was found criminally innocent....and yet in Civil court he was found responsible and lost everything, monetarily speaking.  So to me, it looks like the City of Minneapolis saw the video of the Floyd killing for themselves and did what they felt was best....Who knows, in the long run, by acting early, they may have actually saved the city money.  :shrug:

GO RV, then BV

Edited by Shabibilicious
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Shabibilicious said:

Nope, actual question....as identified by the accompanying question mark.  :rolleyes:

GO RV, then BV 

Well I don't know about everyone else but at the beginning of the Covid19 plandemic scare when all the freaks bought up all the toilet paper I used USA Today for another purpose :o But you needn't freat we stocked up on more than enough since then :lmao: