Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

U.S. Supreme Court Dumps Last Of Trump's Election Appeals

5 minutes ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

I'm never going to allow you to perpetuate this misdirection without serious pushback. No court has ever seen a single piece of evidence. The only thing any court decided was to refuse to hear the case. 

This has little to do with a Conservative or Liberal opinion and everything to do with gross dereliction of duty. 

Furthermore, what you are failing to understand is that because the court's have abdicated their duties they have created the very situation that liberals are most afraid of. They have opened the door for the Military to legally intervene and bring law and order back into the situation. 

This is not hyperbole but fact. 

I have repeatedly told you that by the end of April the world is going to be STUNNED at what happens in America. 

The Democratic Communist party has attempted to remove the freedom of America through deception and theft and has committed multiple acts of treason. But as long as the American Judicial system was there to adjudicate justice there was literally no legal means by which the Military could intervene. Now that means has been given and justice is SOON COMING. 

And you, as a former Military person, should know that FREEDOM can NEVER be taken by force. 

Really, you should forget the party narrative and study more on Military Justice and the Constitution. 

I appreciate your opinion, particularly since your track record of things coming to fruition has been so spot on thus far.  :peace:

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fancy said:

Now it starts

Georgia Judge Indicates He May Unseal Absentee Ballots for Fraud Probe

worker counts absentee ballots
A Fulton county worker continues to count absentee ballots at State Farm Arena on November 6, 2020 in Atlanta, Georgia. (Jessica McGowan/Getty Images)

By Jeffrey Rodack    |   Tuesday, 16 March 2021 08:07 AM

shareFB_icon.png
shareTwitter.png
Email.png

A   A
tooltipCloseButton.png

A judge in Georgia is signaling he may unseal Fulton County absentee ballots so a government watchdog investigation into claims of voting fraud in the November election can proceed.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported the case stems from a lawsuit alleging fraudulent ballots were cast and other irregularities took place as workers tabulated ballots on election night in Fulton County. The newspaper noted the claims had already been investigated by the Georgia secretary of state’s office and dismissed.

However, Henry County Superior County Judge Brian Amero, who is presiding over the case, said Monday he’s inclined to order the ballots unsealed to permit a review by experts hired by Garland Favorito, a voting-integrity advocate, who filed the lawsuit.

"We want to do this in such a way that dispels rumors and disinformation and sheds light," Amero said at a hearing. "The devil’s in the details."

Favorito alleges absentee ballots in Fulton County may have been fabricated by county workers and some ballots counted multiple times on election night. His lawsuit cites video of the count and includes sworn statements from some who were present.

The Journal-Constitution said the observers were suspicious of ballots that were printed on a different stock of paper than regular ballots and others appearing to have been printed instead of marked by ink in a voter’s hand.

Amero also discussed a protective order prohibiting Favorito’s experts from revealing their work without permission from the court. If Amero does follow through with permitting the review, a special master would be appointed to oversee it. A review of the ballots could begin in late April, the newspaper said.

https://www.newsmax.com/politics/georgia-judge-absentee-ballots-unsealed/2021/03/16/id/1013971/

Plus one from me.....I seriously hope this happens, as more oversight is always better in my book, particularly to election integrity.  This case would go along way to helping further, or stem, the tide of mass election changes being sought across the country.

GO RV, then BV

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

Plus one from me.....I seriously hope this happens, as more oversight is always better in my book, particularly to election integrity.  This case would go along way to helping further, or stem, the tide of mass election changes being sought across the country.

GO RV, then BV

So what? To little to late. So they find fraud? Are they going to uncertify the electoral votes? Are they going to arrest people involved in the fraud? 

Just another dog and pony show. All bark and no bite. 

• Upvote 2
  • Pow! 1

1 hour ago, nstoolman1 said:

No, it did not because the lower court judge is who said it was ok to mass mail out ballots along with the SoS.

Ilegally mind you. You conveniently ignore facts and key on non truths. Roberts controlls the Court. Deny it all you want.  He is no friend of the Constitution. 

1 hour ago, Shabibilicious said:

But the GOP controlled Pennsylvania House changed the voting laws in their state, not a judge....Are you saying the judge should have told the State House they couldn't do that, and that's why he gets the blame?

GO RV, then BV

:bump:

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Shabibilicious said:

I appreciate your opinion, particularly since your track record of things coming to fruition has been so spot on thus far.  :peace:

GO RV, then BV

So expected of you to avoid the meat of my honest post concerning personal integrity and throw insults instead. However, everyone here saw what you did. Have you no shame?

• Pow! 1

1 hour ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

So expected of you to avoid the meat of my honest post concerning personal integrity and throw insults instead. However, everyone here saw what you did. Have you no shame?

I have plenty of shame, as I'm not above the fray, and would never presume to be, as I'm fallible.....I guess that's why you and I are so different, as the God given perfection you've obviously acquired is striking.....You should most definitely continue to use that perfection to call me out on a personal level.  <_<

GO RV, then BV

Edited by Shabibilicious
  • Like 2
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, nstoolman1 said:

So what? To little to late. So they find fraud? Are they going to uncertify the electoral votes? Are they going to arrest people involved in the fraud? 

Just another dog and pony show. All bark and no bite. 

After everything that has happening in the last year and still happening,  I've come to get used to the fact that anything can happen.

• Pow! 2

NBC News

'You'll be praised': Audio of Trump call with Georgia elections investigator offers new details

Julia Jester
Mon, March 15, 2021, 8:34 PM

President Donald Trump urged Georgia's chief elections investigator to find "dishonesty" that could help overturn the state's election results, framing her work as a matter of national importance, according to audio of a December phone call obtained from the secretary of state's office Monday.

Officials discovered the recording of the conversation between Trump and Frances Watson, the lead elections investigator for Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger, in a trash folder on Watson's device while responding to a public records request, according to a source familiar with the internal process.

The Wall Street Journal was first to report the audio.

"You have the most important job in the country right now," Trump told Watson, who was leading an audit of absentee ballot signatures in Cobb County at the time, according to the audio.

"Because if we win Georgia ... the people of Georgia are so angry at what happened to me, they know I won," he continued, repeating the false claim that he won the state.

President Joe Biden won Georgia by 12,670 votes, according Georgia's certified election results.

"When the right answer comes out, you'll be praised," Trump told Watson at another point in the call, adding, "People will say 'great,' because that's what it's about, the ability to check and to make it right, because everyone knows it's wrong."

Earlier reporting by NBC News and other news organizations, including The Washington Post, misquoted the exact words Trump used to urge Watson to look for fraud based on Deputy Secretary of State Jordan Fuchs' account of Watson's recollection of the conversation.

"After hearing the tape, it's clear that [Watson's] recollection accurately portrayed the president's assertions that there was fraud to uncover and that she would receive praise for doing so," Fuchs said Monday in a statement to NBC News.

In a statement Monday, Trump expressed appreciation for The Post's correction while repeating the false claims of widespread election fraud in Georgia that he made in the months after Biden won the election.

During the conversation, which took place Dec. 23, Trump said his chief of staff at the time, Mark Meadows, suggested he call Watson after Meadows visited Cobb County the day before.

At one point, Trump, referring to the process of matching voters' signatures on file with the elections office and the signatures on their ballots, said he hoped Watson was reviewing older signatures, rather than just the most up-to-date ones on file for voters.

"If you go back two years, and if you can get to Fulton, you're going to find things that are going to be unbelievable, the dishonesty that we've heard from, just, good sources, really good sources," Trump said before claiming without evidence that Fulton County, a Democratic stronghold and home to Atlanta, was the "mother lode" of such fraud.

"I appreciate your comments," Watson responded. She admitted that she was "shocked" that he had taken the time to call her.

"Whatever you can do, Frances, it would be — it's a great thing," Trump told her, according to the audio. "It's an important thing for the country. So important. You've no idea. So important. And I very much appreciate it."

Watson said her team was "only interested in the truth" and "finding the information that's based on the facts." Trump then asked whether her team of investigators would continue working past Christmas to "keep it going fast."

"Because, you know, we have that date of the 6th, which is a very important date," he said, apparently referring to the joint session of Congress to formalize the Electoral College results. A pro-Trump mob attacked the Capitol on Jan. 6 in an attempt to disrupt the process of formalizing Biden's election victory.

Trump also made calls to Raffensperger and Republican Gov. Brian Kemp as part of his efforts to overturn the results of the election, particularly in Georgia, which he became the first GOP candidate in nearly 30 years to lose.

During the call with Raffensperger, which took place in early January before the Capitol riot, Trump pleaded with him to "find" enough votes to overturn the results and deliver him the state.

https://news.yahoo.com/youll-praised-audio-trump-call-003400081.html

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Shabibilicious said:

I have plenty of shame, as I'm not above the fray, and would never presume to be, as I'm fallible.....I guess that's why you and I are so different, as the God given perfection you've obviously acquired is striking.....You should most definitely continue to use that perfection to call me out on a personal level.  <_<

GO RV, then BV

Let me show you how that feels.......

Laodicean so called christians  like you who don't even believe in the word of God accusing everyone of being a hypocrite only shows your ignorance of the Holy Spirit. 

The difference between your comments and mine is you actually mean what you said. 

And you're still avoiding the meat of my post that has upset you so.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Pow! 1

15 hours ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

Laodicean so called christians  like you who don't even believe in the word of God accusing everyone of being a hypocrite only shows your ignorance of the Holy Spirit. 

The difference between your comments and mine is you actually mean what you said. 

Why post at all if you don't mean what you say?  Am I allowed to question your Christianity on this forum, free from censorship or banishment, as you just did mine?

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

Why post at all if you don't mean what you say?  Am I allowed to question your Christianity on this forum, free from censorship or banishment, as you just did mine?

GO RV, then BV

You already did. See below 

Claiming or insinuating that I believe I'm " perfect" because of my faith in God is to question my faith as you know full well that anyone believing such is in fact greatly sinning. 

In fact I actually find the closer I get to God the more exponentially sinful I feel. 

18 hours ago, Shabibilicious said:

as the God given perfection you've obviously acquired is striking..

10 minutes ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

You already did. See below 

Claiming or insinuating that I believe I'm " perfect" because of my faith in God is to question my faith as you know full well that anyone believing such is in fact greatly sinning. 

In fact I actually find the closer I get to God the more exponentially sinful I feel. 

Curb the sins, feel better...makes perfect sense.

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

Curb the sins, feel better...makes perfect sense.

GO RV, then BV

Nice try but quite impossible. 

The God I worship is Pure Love and Totally sinless. With more compaction and Love than anyone could ever comprehend. Whilst we are born in sin and no matter how much sin we purge from our lives we can only escape original sin through Jesus Christ. Just to feel His Holy Presence convicts me of my sinful nature and serves to remind me that ONLY THROUGH His Son will I ever be free from sin. 

Sadly that will only happen in the Resurrection when I will live with my God. 

Thus is why we are commanded to,  Take up our Cross daily and walk with Him. 

Business Insider

Trump says the Supreme Court 'should be ashamed of themselves' for not taking up election cases

Grace Panetta
Mon, March 22, 2021, 10:44 AM

supreme court trump

Supporters of U.S. President Donald Trump wave a flag at the Supreme Court as the court reviews a lawsuit filed by Texas seeking to undo President-elect Joe Biden's election victory in Washington, U.S., December 11, 2020. REUTERS/Joshua Roberts
  • Former President Trump said the Supreme Court "should be ashamed of themselves."

• Trump slammed all the justices, except for Justices Alito and Thomas, in an interview with Lisa Boothe.

• The Court declined to take up several cases over the 2020 election results.

Former President Donald Trump said the Supreme Court, including justices he nominated, "should be ashamed of themselves" for not taking up cases relating to the 2020 election in a podcast interview with Fox News' Lisa Boothe released on Monday.

"The Supreme Court should be ashamed of themselves. Now Justice Thomas, Justice Alito, I'm going to take them about because they felt obviously different about what happened, but the Supreme Court should be ashamed of themselves," Trump said.

In the interview, Trump continued to falsely claim that the 2020 election was stolen from him and pushed misleading claims that entire states' election results were invalid because courts or other officials made changes to election rules without an act of legislation from a state legislature.

The Court declined to take up a last-minute, wide-ranging original jurisdiction lawsuit launched by Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton that sought to have the Court overturn election results in five states that voted for President Joe Biden on the basis that election rule changes were made without the approval of the state legislature.

The order dismissing the case cited Texas' lack of standing in bringing the suit, stating that Texas had no "judicially cognizable interest in the manner in which another State conducts its elections." Justices Alito and Thomas said that they would have agreed to take the case, but would "not grant any other relief."

Both Trump and several Republican lawmakers signed on as amici in the suit.

The Court deadlocked 4-4 in a case where Republicans challenged the Pennsylvania Supreme Court's ruling to extend the deadline when mail ballots had to be received, from Election Day, November 3, to Friday, November 6. The Supreme Court's tie left the lower court ruling in place, but the Court instructed Pennsylvania election officials to sequester all ballots that arrived in that timeframe.

Around 10,000 mail ballots arrived in that timeframe, not enough to affect the outcome of the election either way.

After the election, the Court also dismissed two remaining cases over Pennsylvania's mail ballot deadline as moot in late February. Republican litigants in those cases advanced a theory known as the independent state legislature doctrine, which posits that only state legislatures and not courts or other officials have jurisdiction to change election rules.

In his dissent, Justice Thomas argued that the cases present a rare chance for the Court to definitively rule on a pressing issue in a case that isn't taking place in the midst of an election cycle.

"These cases provide us with an ideal opportunity to address just what authority nonlegislative officials have to set election rules, and to do so well before the next election cycle. The refusal to do so is inexplicable," he wrote.

Notably, the justices included in the group that Trump said "should be ashamed" included the three he nominated between 2017 and 2020: Justice Neil Gorsuch, Justice Brett Kavanaugh, and Justice Amy Coney Barrett, nominations that Trump heavily emphasized throughout his presidency.

In the months leading up to the election, however, the Court handed down several rulings that sided with Republicans or GOP-controlled states in blocking election changes like extensions of mail ballot receipt deadlines, lessening of witness signature requirements, and expansions of curbside voting, for example.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-says-supreme-court-ashamed-144413469.html

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

Sidney Powell Tells Judge ‘No Reasonable Person’ Would Believe Her Dominion Conspiracy Theories Were ‘Statements of Fact’

ADAM KLASFELDMar 22nd, 2021, 5:24 pm

Facing more than $1.3 billion in liabilities over her post-election conspiracy theories, lawyer Sidney Powell told a judge that the defamation lawsuit Dominion Voting Systems filed against her earlier this year should be dismissed because “no reasonable person” would believe that her well-publicized comments about an international plot against former President Donald Trump were “statements of fact.”

“Given the highly charged and political context of the statements, it is clear that Powell was describing the facts on which she based the lawsuits she filed in support of President Trump,” her attorneys wrote in a 54-page motion to dismiss on Monday, noting that Dominion characterized her theories as “wild accusations” and “outlandish claims.”

“They are repeatedly labelled ‘inherently improbable’ and even ‘impossible,'” the motion to dismiss continues, referring to the conspiracy theories peddled by Powell, her law firm and her non-profit group Defending the Republic. “Such characterizations of the allegedly defamatory statements further support defendants’ position that reasonable people would not accept such statements as fact but view them only as claims that await testing by the courts through the adversary process.”

Signed by Powell’s lawyer Lawrence J. Joseph, the memo shows Powell’s legal strategy for attempting to jettison a potentially billion-dollar price tag over what came to be known as the “Kraken” lawsuits, named after the mythical, octopus-like creature depicted in the Hollywood blockbuster Clash of the Titans. In the movie, the monster was easily slain, and the four lawsuits filed by Powell and her co-counsel Lin Wood alleging a giant plot between voting companies and foreign powers to interfere with the election met with the same fate.

In her motion to dismiss, Powell does not argue that the statements were true. She claims they are not actionable because they are protected statements of political opinion.

“Reasonable people understand that the ‘language of the political arena, like the language used in labor disputes … is often vituperative, abusive and inexact,'” her motion to dismiss argues. “It is likewise a ‘well recognized principle that political statements are inherently prone to exaggeration and hyperbole.'”

When Powell repeated her conspiracy theories on Fox News, Fox Business News and The Epoch Times, her lawyers claim, she was just informing the public about the ideas that she was advancing in her lawsuits.

“It would make no sense, and serve no public purpose, to give immunity for statements made during the course of litigation – which are themselves public – but burden lawyers with the threat of billion-dollar defamation verdicts when the same allegations are made at press conferences and news releases announcing and discussing the case,” her memo states.

Powell, whose law firm and non-profit are also named as defendant, also challenge the lawsuit on the basis of jurisdiction and venue.

Dominion’s attorney Tom Clare did not immediately respond to an email requesting comment.

In addition to potentially staggering liabilities, Powell may be fighting for her law license. The state of Michigan and the city of Detroit have both asked a federal judge to refer Powell for disbarment proceedings, arguing that she defrauded the court by lying about witnesses and violated rules of professional ethics in an attack on U.S. democracy. Cataloguing Powell and Wood’s “lies,” “unhinged conspiracy theories,” and “fraud on the court,” Detroit created a detailed list of Powell and Wood’s courtroom and extrajudicial antics—such as pining for martial law, fundraising through shadowy dark-money entities, and marshaling a secret witness code-named “Spyder” who later told a reporter that the legal team made him submit a false declaration.

Read the motion to dismiss below:

Have a tip we should know? tips@lawandcrime.com

https://lawandcrime.com/2020-election/sidney-powell-tells-judge-no-reasonable-person-would-believe-her-dominion-conspiracy-theories-were-statements-of-fact/

• Pow! 1

15 hours ago, Carrello said:

Sidney Powell Tells Judge ‘No Reasonable Person’ Would Believe Her Dominion Conspiracy Theories Were ‘Statements of Fact’

Divide and conquer. There are the reasonable people and there are the un reasonable people. For all the reasonable people that believed the Sidney Powell rhetoric. At what point is there no longer any more room under the bus????? For the people that are unreasonable, you have your legacy secured. 

unreasonable
ADJECTIVE
  1. not guided by or based on good sense.
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, adhoc10 said:

For all the reasonable people that believed the Sidney Powell rhetoric. At what point is there no longer any more room under the bus?????

You should really post the entire statement and then ask your question.

"They are repeatedly labelled ‘inherently improbable’ and even ‘impossible,'” the motion to dismiss continues, referring to the conspiracy theories peddled by Powell, her law firm and her non-profit group Defending the Republic.

“Such characterizations of the allegedly defamatorystatements further support system" rel="">support defendants’ position that reasonable people would not accept such statements as fact but view them only as claims that await testing by the courts through the adversary process.”

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, nstoolman1 said:

"They are repeatedly labelled ‘inherently improbable’ and even ‘impossible,'” the motion to dismiss continues, referring to the conspiracy theories peddled by Powell, her law firm and her non-profit group Defending the Republic.

“Such characterizations of the allegedly defamatorystatements further support system' target='_blank' style=" rel="">support system" rel="">support defendants’ position that reasonable people would not accept such statements as fact but view them only as claims that await testing by the courts through the adversary process.”

Another concerted effort to undermine the rule of law and  extinguish the possibility of accountability. It also adds another dimension of Powell's credibility . That she would make claims that a 'reasonable person' would not believe. Is she saying that she is not reasonable? or worse that she is an outright liar? Her flakiness was apparent from the  beginning and I am enjoying the validation. Maybe too much? 

MAGA Made Accountability Go Away.

• Like 1
  • Pow! 2

The Daily Beast

Tucker Carlson’s Biggest Advertiser Unloads on Fox News

Justin Baragona
Tue, March 23, 2021, 3:17 PM

Stephen Maturen

Stephen Maturen

Trump-boosting pillow salesman Mike Lindell took a swing at Fox News this week, complaining that the conservative network—which essentially plays his MyPillow commercials on a loop—isn’t giving him a platform to peddle his baseless voting machine conspiracies. Fox might be “in” on a conspiracy against MAGA heads, Lindell ultimately suggested.

The pillow mogul, who has become the face of a dead-end MAGA coalition still trying to overturn President Joe Biden’s election victory, appeared on far-right pundit Eric Metaxas’ radio show on Monday to discuss his continued efforts to prove the lie that the 2020 election was “stolen” from Donald Trump. Lindell also discussed his fraught attempts to create a new social media site (he was booted from Twitter and other platforms earlier this year for repeatedly pushing voting disinformation).

After boasting that his new platform would automatically give so-called influencers “millions” of followers when they join—especially if they’ve been kicked off YouTube for making false claims—Lindell then grumbled about Fox News supposedly kowtowing to voting-software firms Dominion and Smartmatic in the wake of billion-dollar legal complaints.

“Lawsuits can be used as a way to silence people,” Metaxas noted in a moment first flagged by Salon staff writer Zachary Petrizzo. “They can be legitimate. But they can also be used as a way to silence people. And I’ve noticed that Fox and other people, rather than face the thing, they just say, We’re not gonna talk about that, we don’t want to get sued. That’s what’s happening in America.”

Last month, Smartmatic filed a $2.7-billion libel lawsuit against Fox News, three hosts (including recently canceled Lou Dobbs), and former Trump lawyers Rudy Giuliani and Sidney Powell, saying they all spread false information that the company rigged the 2020 election. Dominion, another voting machine company at the center of debunked election conspiracies, has sued Lindell himself for $1.3 billion.

“I want to say one thing here—here’s things that don’t make sense,” an animated Lindell replied. “Let’s just talk about Fox! You’re already sued! It’s too late to close the gate, the cows are already out of the barn!”

The MAGA maven continued, “Why can’t people go on there and say their free speech then?! You’re already sued, Fox. What do you have—are you going to get double sued? What’s the matter with you?”

Growing increasingly agitated, Lindell expressed anger and frustration with the network before finally asking, “What are they, in on it? I don’t get it. Is it a fake lawsuit?”

A Treasure Hunter, a Satanism Expert, and Mike Lindell Fight to Overturn Biden Win in Arizona

Notably, Lindell’s pillow commercials are by far the biggest advertiser on Tucker Carlson Tonight, Fox’s most-watched show. As host Tucker Carlson has courted controversy over the past couple of years, the vast majority of the network’s blue-chip advertisers have ditched the primetime show, leaving mostly MyPillow ads, Fox News promos, and direct marketers.

While it remains to be seen if Fox News reacts in any way to one of its largest sponsors directly calling the network out, Lindell has been able to force one right-wing outlet to come groveling back for not letting him spout crazed conspiracies on-air.

After Newsmax anchor Bob Sellers repeatedly interrupted Lindell during an interview before literally walking off the set when the MyPillow founder wouldn’t stop talking about voting machines, Sellers begged “friend of the network” Lindell for forgiveness while assuring viewers that the pillow tycoon would “continue to be an important guest on Newsmax.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tucker-carlson-biggest-advertiser-unloads-191751219.html

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

The Daily Beast

Georgia Prosecutors Eye ‘False Statement’ Charges for Rudy Giuliani and Team Trump

Jose Pagliery, Asawin Suebsaeng
Wed, March 24, 2021, 4:58 AM

John Bazemore/AP

John Bazemore/AP

Local prosecutors in Fulton County, Georgia, are actively researching whether they can apply “false statement” charges against Rudy Giuliani and other members of Donald Trump’s team for their mendacity-packed attempts to meddle with the state’s 2020 election results, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Giuliani, Trump’s personal lawyer and a former New York City mayor, twice presented Georgia state legislators withfake evidence and wild allegations of a conspiracy theory to commit widespread election fraud. Separately, on two recorded phone calls to state election officials, then-President Trump made specific false claims that votes for him were discarded and suitcases full of votes for Joe Biden were trucked in.

In a Feb. 10 letter to state officials that was first made public by The New York Times, Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis did note that her investigation includes—among other crimes—potential violations of Georgia laws prohibiting “the making of false statements to state and local governmental bodies.”

But, until now, there has been no focus on the legal team’s efforts to explore that specific criminal charge. Instead, news stories have touched on the district attorney’s potential use of election fraud or racketeering charges against Trump’s inner circle. The latter would require that prosecutors prove a pattern of corruption—similar to the way law enforcement finds that mafia bosses direct underlings. The idea here would be to prove that Trump and his lieutenants conspired in a “criminal enterprise” to undermine a legitimate election.

Several former Georgia district attorneys told The Daily Beast that investigators are likely relying on a state law that makes it a felony to “knowingly and willfully” make a false statement on “any matter within the jurisdiction” of the state government. The criminal charge carries a punishment of one to five years in prison.

Applying this state law to the former president's attorney would be a beyond-rare strategy, former prosecutors say. But then again, so was Team Trump’s conduct after the election.

The Fulton DA’s public integrity team is said to be zeroing in on the wild claims Giuliani made to Georgia’s state legislators—an integral part of Trump’s multi-faceted attempt to overturn the 2020 election results by pressuring lawmakers and making court challenges. Also under review: Trump’s numerous erroneous assertions in his direct phone calls to Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger (first reported by The Washington Post) and his six-minute phone chat with an elections investigator (whose audio was made public by The Wall Street Journal).

On Tuesday, The Daily Beast reached attorney Cleta Mitchell, a member of Trump’s legal team who played a key role on the phone call with Raffensperger.

“I have nothing to say about it. I’ll deal with it at the appropriate time,” Mitchell said. She and all others on that call are expected to be approached by Georgia investigators.

Trump advisers did not provide comment on this story, and neither did Giuliani; the former New York City mayor’s attorney Joseph Sibley declined to comment on Tuesday evening. However, a person familiar with the matter said that the former president’s legal strategy to counter any false statement charges would likely involve a free-speech defense, though such discussions are preliminary at the moment.

This effort by a Georgia prosecutor is one of several government cases that Trump is now facing. New York state Attorney General Letitia James and Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. are both investigating the Trump Organization over potential insurance and bank fraud involving lucrative real estate properties all over the country. Trump is also up against several individual lawsuits accusing him of sexual misconduct.

In recent weeks, Trump has remained, for the most part, publicly mum about this criminal probe. Shortly after the investigation launched, his senior adviser Jason Miller alleged that “this is simply the Democrats’ latest attempt to score political points by continuing their witch hunt against President Trump, and everybody sees through it.”

Giuliani, acting on Trump’s behalf, went before the Georgia state Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on Dec. 3, 2020 and laid out the bogus details of his election conspiracy claim.

Among his worst blatant lies: that the state counted 96,600 “phantom votes.” That’s the same bonkers claim that fueled Sidney Powell’s attempt to overturn Georgia’s election results with her so-called “Kraken” lawsuit—one that was promptly tossed out by a federal judge.

Giuliani also paraded several widely discredited witnesses, including a little-known cybersecurity consultant (and Republican congressional candidate) who wrongly asserted that voting machines across the country in 2020 were technologically flawed. Russ Ramsland’s claims were debunked by top election security experts who made clear that his Texas firm, Allied Security Operations Group, completely misunderstood the technology inside voting machines.

In addition, Giuliani played an edited clip of surveillance video from the State Farm Arena in Atlanta, which he claimed proved ballot-counting irregularities. That video was later analyzed by state election officials, who went frame-by-frame with journalists to prove that there were no “mystery ballot boxes.”

Giuliani repeated the effort one week later on Dec. 10, when he presented his case before the state’s House Governmental Affairs Committee.

Former Georgia prosecutors told The Daily Beast that any use of false statement charges would be a novel—and difficult—undertaking.

“I think it's clearly going to be an uphill climb,” said Kenneth W. Mauldin, who retired last year after 20 years as the district attorney in the area covering the city of Athens.

If Fulton prosecutors pursue false statement charges, Mauldin said, they will have to contend with jurors who mistakenly believe these election conspiracies—and wouldn’t think such statements are actually false. He said defense attorneys could also attempt to bring in conservative Georgia legislators who don’t believe they were lied to.

Charging someone with false statements for lying to legislators would also be unheard of, said Alan Cook, a former district attorney who served as the director of the University of Georgia law school’s prosecutorial justice program for almost two decades.

“It would be highly unusual to use the false statement statutes in a circumstance like this,” he said. “In 13 years as a prosecutor, I probably only used the statute a half dozen times. It's typically used when state or local investigators are investigating a crime and they interview a witness who willfully and knowingly gives false information that misleads the investigators.”

As in: pointing cops in the wrong direction when they’re looking for a fugitive.

However, Titus T. Nichols, a former violent crimes prosecutor in Augusta, said that hitting Trump’s conspiracy theory-spewing team in Georgia with false statements charges is right in line with the spirit of the law.

“This is precisely to stop people from doing this stupid thing—it wastes the government's time,” said Nichols, who now teaches as an adjunct law professor at the University of Georgia. “When you start going deep into ridiculous theories, you cross that line from ‘I'm giving my opinion,’ to ‘I'm purposely giving false information.’”

Giuliani’s decision to present an edited video as fake evidence of a fake crime crosses that threshold, Nichols explained.

“He knows that he's lying when he says that. There are no secret ballots. That's him presenting false information. And with him being an attorney, it's even more clear that he's lying. As a lawyer, you can't just make up ridiculous theories,” he said.

Nichols said Giuliani will be held to a higher standard because he’s a lawyer—albeit one whose professional status is under threat, given that New York is now considering disbarring the man who was once Manhattan’s U.S. Attorney.

As difficult as it might be to make false statement charges stick in Georgia, that approach has proved to be a reliable tool against Trump’s allies at the federal level. Ex-campaign adviser George Papadopoulos pleaded guilty to making false statements in connection with the FBI’s investigation into Russian election interference. London lawyer Alex Van der Zwaan paid the price for lying to federal agents about communicating with Trump campaign deputy chair Rick Gates. And one-time Trump confidant Michael Cohen pleaded guilty to making false statements to a federally insured bank.

There’s no indication that Giuliani committed what would be an entirely different crime: perjury. Prosecutors could go after someone who lies while testifying under oath, as witnesses are forced to do in state court. But that’s not the case here. In Georgia, people who testify before state Senate and House committees are not placed under oath, staff in both chambers told The Daily Beast.

Former prosecutors said it would be much harder for investigators to slap false statement charges against Trump, because his long ramblings were not formally presented before a governmental body and mostly made up of misplaced opinions that he, in fact, won the election.

“It’s almost like when someone is selling you a car. They're gonna say it's a great car,” Cook said.

Instead, in her letters to officials, the Fulton County district attorney has indicated that Trump and his team could be facing even more serious charges: solicitation of election fraud, conspiracy, and racketeering. As part of that effort, Willis has even hired the attorney who literally wrote the book on state RICO charges, John E. Floyd.

And at the core of that inquiry is Trump’s appeal to the state’s top elections official on his Jan. 2 call.

“So look,” Trump told Raffensperger. “All I want to do is this. I just want to find 11,780 votes, which is one more than we have.”

Biden beat Trump in Georgia by 11,779 votes. The ex-president’s comment could be plainly understood to mean that he asked a Georgia state official to change the results of an election—which is specifically listed as a first-degree crime. The very last elections-related offense listed in the Georgia state code makes it illegal to solicit someone to engage in fraud. The punishment is up to three years in prison.

Then again, that kind of behavior also breaks federal law—as former U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder quickly pointed out when that call went public. That one’s five years.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/georgia-prosecutors-eye-false-statement-085830264.html

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Pow! 1

On 3/23/2021 at 9:43 AM, adhoc10 said:

Another concerted effort to undermine the rule of law and  extinguish the possibility of accountability. It also adds another dimension of Powell's credibility . That she would make claims that a 'reasonable person' would not believe. Is she saying that she is not reasonable? or worse that she is an outright liar? Her flakiness was apparent from the  beginning and I am enjoying the validation. Maybe too much? 

MAGA Made Accountability Go Away.

Your ability to twist words and not debate the whole statement makes makes me not want to continue with this.

The explanation was in the article and the portion I posted yet you failed to see it. 

I did not get this far in life being stupid. I have been blessed by God and will continue to be. You do you boo and I will not engage with you further.

• Thanks 1