Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

How about Sharing Tips for Extreme Weather for those suffering that they maybe be better prepared Next time

I keep reading Texas Granny, Pitcher and many other that are suffering due to the Frigid Weather.....Much of it thanks to the Failure of the Green New Deal. Who would have every thought of Wind Turbines Freezing or Solar Panel getting Blanketed in Snow.

I know it wont be of much use now but maybe share your Cold Weather Tips so maybe a Few people can go out and be better prepared should this happen again......Most likely it will never happen again....But better to have a gun when you need one than need One and not have one.

Soy Wax Candles......Buy Wicks Wax from what every source you like, I bought bags of flaked Soy Wax, Wicks and Wick holders on Ebay years ago. Buy a dozen or 2 Mason Jars or what ever jars you have that you can seal.....Melt the wax, Drop in a Wick and adjust the wick holder then slowly fill the jar with wax. Let cool and cap than store the flat of jars away until needed.  The Candles are great from Heater and Light and Soy Wax burns hotter and Cleaner than regular paraffin. 

USGI MSS or Modular Sleeping Systems.....Fancy Name for damn good 4 Season sleeping bags......The System consists of 1 Black Bag, 1 Green Bag and 1 Bivie cover. The Green bag and Bivie (Gortex Type Water Proof Cover) in said the be good 35 degrees. Add the Black bag and you are good well below Sub Zero.......These can be had on Ebay or Major Surplus will have them now again for a decent price......Advantage is you can also use it camping and hiking and only pack what you need.

Domed Tents....2-3 person Domed Tent....Sounds strange but pick up a couple, they weight nothing and take up no space. Set them up in the Living room or where ever.....Take less Heat to Heat the Inside of a small tent than it does the entire room....The For mentioned candle will Heat the Inside of a tent.

The Mr Heater Big Buddy or Little Buddy Heater is safe to use Indoors, takes up little room and will work with the small green propane canisters or 5 gallon Can with a Adapter and Hose....Get a extra 5 gallon can for the BBQ https://www.ganderoutdoors.com/mr.-heater-big-buddy-portable-indoor-propane-heater-34073.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4-6T2oPy7gIVjiCtBh3NAg0-EAQYAyABEgKg1_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Candle Power Heater from Clay Flower Pots....Radiant heat. https://www.skilledsurvival.com/clay-pot-candle-heater

Back to Soy Candles above for Not Only a heat source but light as well.

Share what ever other tip you might have to help Our Fellow Members be better Prepared when Everything Fails......Including the Green New Deal .

Karsten

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Pow! 2

Unless your solar is backed up by batteries, when the grid drops out you will loose the solar power. If you are backed up with batteries your panels could be cleaned off and function. 

For small caged animal 60-100 watt bulbs work for heat. Again if the grid drops you might be moving them inside the garage if you must.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Pow! 2

God just showed America what will happen when the new green deal forces us to build hundreds of thousands of acres of farm land into solar fields. Take out the coal fired power plants, add in a 3 day blizzard and see how fast you can get the panels cleared.  That fight could last from December to March in some parts of the country. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Pow! 3

Here in Florida the prepared people keep a generator on hand. When we see weather coming we load up on fuel and food. I have a 4 person tent I bough 15 years ago because of a storm the ripped up south Florida. people did not have a place to sleep for 2 weeks before fema was able to help. The tent has never been taken out of the box but I have it if I need it. 
Winter storms have the same protocols but just very different supply requirements. Until the gov gets their heads out of their asses we will have to become self reliant. This is an educational moment. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Pow! 2

If your pipes burst because the water is frozen make sure you turn off your main water gauge. Because once it starts to melt it can cause massive flooding very quickly and you'll need to run and go turn off the water from the main source while flooding is going on. Keep the heat in, close all your blinds and curtains. Put towels or masking tape along the bottom windowsill area and around doors. And here's one that works, bubble tape on windowsills! It will keep the heat in your house, I know I've done it! Duck Duck Go it. Thanks Karsten, this is a great idea!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Here's a few more, don't have can ice scraper, a putty knife works just as great. Want to keep your windshield from freezing over? A shower plastic curtain liner will do the trick. And a mixture of one part apple cider vinegar 3 parts water will melt that ice right off your door handles and windshield. And your car is heavy enough to drive on Ice if you go slow enough, I'm talking snail pace. I'm from Texas I've had to learn my enemy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

A wood burning stove is a better heat source than a fireplace.  It also can be used for cooking.  Living in Houston I don’t need either.  I do have 2 high BTU Butane Heaters I bought just for a situation like this.  If you can afford a Generac that is a solid choice for a back up generator.  I’m going to order one next week.  Living in a Hurricane Zone having a back up generator is a good idea.  

Keeping cell phones charged was a big problem.  I will be looking into your deal Markinsa.  Thanks.  

if you have an all electric home you will need a way to cook.  We have a Gas stovetop so we were able to boil water and cook.  A Coleman will work too.

Water, you need water.  I turned our water off Sunday night so I will be without city water for a week.  We always keep 30 gallons of drinking water on hand and water to flush the toilets.  Haha, my source for that is our swimming pool.  

One last tid bit.  Protection!!!!  When things get turned upside down people become erratic.   Our neighbor had a potential break in but thwarted the attack when he pulled out his shotgun.  The person was drunk and was later arrested.  

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Pitcher said:

Keeping cell phones charged was a big problem.  I will be looking into your deal Markinsa.  Thanks.

Just lost power again and just plugged in my phone to top it off as I type. :twothumbs:

There are some smaller units that you can get for your cars, and ladies purses just for recharging.  It would be a good idea to get each family member their own. You can find these things at Walmart, HEB, Bestbuy, CVS and Walgreens.

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Markinsa said:

Just lost power again and just plugged in my phone to top it off as I type. :twothumbs:

There are some smaller units that you can get for your cars, and ladies purses just for recharging.  It would be a good idea to get each family member their own. You can find these things at Walmart, HEB, Bestbuy, CVS and Walgreens.

I have one I got from tractor supply, it will jump start a vehicle, air up a tire and charge your phone 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Where I live it’s “normal” for the cold this time of the year (last 10 nights -15 to -20) so I guess I just do things out of habit but for power grid failure I have a hand crank radio that also has a solar panel. In addition I have a battery/power pack with USB ports that can charge my phone, iPad, etc that has a solar panel as well to recharge it if no power to do that. It’s the same size as a smart phone and just a bit thicker.  Both items also have built in led lights too. 

As far as the animals go  I live in the dairy state and there are more cows in my county then people. I’m not a farmer so I don’t know what they do but I don’t hear about a lot of deaths of cows either during these cold spells. Maybe get a hold of a “northern” farmer for help/advice. 

• Thanks 1

For waterlines that can be reached, either in a crawl space or a drop ceiling, pool noodles split length wise make reliable inexpensive insulators....houses built on a crawl space, usually with cinder block, generally have a small vent the size of one cinder block designed to let the heat out in summer as well as for air flow.  Make sure those are shut and place something over them, a bail of straw, wood sheet, cardboard....even snow piled along the base of the house will help insolate from the cold wind....plastic window sheeting treatment (3m) available at any hardware store or box store works well on drafty windows....And obviously the addition of insolation particularly in the outer walls and behind soffits where cold air can get in.

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 2