Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Republican Politicians Now Fear For More Than Just Their Political Lives

Esquire

Charles P. Pierce
Thu, February 11, 2021, 11:23 AM

Photo credit: Pool - Getty Images

From Esquire

Having watched the prosecution present its case in The Second Impeachment for two days, and preparing to watch the wrap-up on Thursday, I have discovered that there are two emotions for which I have no patience any more. First, the events of January 6 no longer make me sad. I do not mourn any more. I’m ready to march on Harfleur. I have nothing left but what Shakespeare calls “hard-favored rage.” The other state of being for which I no longer have time is mystification. As in, “How can Republicans still essentially vote in favor of the mob that came after the Congress with blood in its eyes?” A new poll from, of all places, the American Enterprise Institute, explains that phenomenon and leaves no room for doubt. From NPR:

The survey found that nearly three in 10 Americans, including 39% of Republicans, agreed that, "If elected leaders will not protect America, the people must do it themselves, even if it requires violent actions.” That result was "a really dramatic finding," says Daniel Cox, director of the AEI Survey Center on American Life. "I think any time you have a significant number of the public saying use of force can be justified in our political system, that's pretty scary.”

The survey found stark divisions between Republicans and Democrats on the 2020 presidential election, with two out of three Republicans saying President Biden was not legitimately elected, while 98% of Democrats and 73% of Independents acknowledged Biden's victory.

The political concrete is thick and set. Forty years of radio and television propaganda, eight to 10 hours a day of it, and four decades of conservative politics incapable of resisting a slide into angry fantasy, have made a radical cult out of one of our two major political parties, and Republican politicians are now afraid of more than a threat simply to their political lives. Mike Pence was not running for re-election in those newly revealed security videos. He was running for his life.

(Speaking of whom, where the hell is the Choirboy anyway? Doesn’t the guy owe at least the respect of his presence to the people who saved him from the mob? Doesn’t he owe the Capitol Police a public thank-you? And wasn’t it reassuring to see how close the mob came to getting its hands on the nuclear “football”?)

Photo credit: The Washington Post - Getty Images

It’s even worse out in the country. State parties are demonstrating that they have become completely demented. The Arizona GOP censured Cindy McCain, of all people. Young Ben Sasse is in Dutch with the Nebraska Republicans. (Smarm is no defense against crazy.) Already, we’ve had Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Breathalyzer) demonstrating his willingness to go to hell or Wyoming to enforce loyalty to his departed leader. (Most recently, Gaetz has opened the ball on Rep. Adam Kitzinger, too.) In South Dakota, Senator John Thune has become Target A simply because Thune said publicly that the insurrection horrified him. Elected Republican state politicians were well-represented in the mob that ran riot on January 6. Of course, Republican senators are pretending to be unmoved—the ones that aren’t genuinely unmoved…coughJoshHawleycough…anyway. Josh Mandel, a Tea Party retread in Ohio, has announced that he will run to replace alleged moderate Rob Portman in the Senate. Mandel already has lost three Senate races, but he clearly senses that the time has arrived at last for his brand of nutbaggery. From WKYC:

"I've been watching this sham and unconstitutional impeachment, and it's really made my blood boil and it's motivated me to run for the U.S. Senate," he said. "I want to go to Washington to stand up for the Trump 'America First' agenda…I think over time, we're going to see studies come out that evidence widespread fraud," he claimed. "You know, what you see with any type of fraud, it usually takes time to investigate it and to dig it out, and it might be months, it might be years, it might be decades. But I think when we look back on this election, we'll see in large part that it was stolen from President Trump."

On the other hand, Reuters tells us that 120 allegedly influential Republicans are meeting to discuss forming a Not Insane Party, which is as clear an indication of surrender as a white flag against a clear blue sky.

Call participants said they were particularly dismayed by the fact that more than half of the Republicans in Congress - eight senators and 139 House representatives - voted to block certification of Biden’s election victory just hours after the Capitol siege. Most Republican senators have also indicated they will not support the conviction of Trump in this week’s Senate impeachment trial. “Large portions of the Republican Party are radicalizing and threatening American democracy,” McMullin told Reuters. “The party needs to recommit to truth, reason and founding ideals or there clearly needs to be something new.”

Good luck with that, Sparky. Maybe you can nominate Zombie William Seward next time.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/republican-politicians-now-fear-more-162300697.html

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 4

Reuters

Prominent anti-Trump Republicans reject third party

39b96353f45970d69f775581224459bd
Rotunda of the U.S. Capitol
Tim Reid, James Oliphant, David Morgan and Joseph Ax
Thu, February 11, 2021, 8:38 PM

By Tim Reid, James Oliphant, David Morgan and Joseph Ax

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A group of former Republican officials considering a new center-right political party to counter former President Donald Trump's influence would face steep challenges in shaking up a U.S. political system that has favored two-party rule throughout its history.

Reuters exclusively reported on Wednesday that more than 120 Republicans - including former elected officials, along with former administrators under Trump and former presidents Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush - met virtually on Feb. 5 to discuss forming a third party or a new center-right faction.

Two of the most prominent anti-Trump Republicans in Congress - Representative Liz Cheney of Wyoming and Representative Adam Kinzinger of Illinois - rejected the idea of a breakaway party in statements to Reuters on Thursday. Other Republican critics of Trump expressed similar skepticism - arguing a third party would accomplish little beyond splitting the votes of conservatives and helping Democrats get elected.

The resistance to a third party among some of Trump's toughest Republican critics underscores the extreme difficulty of such a political revolt. Such an effort would require walking away from the Republican Party's massive political infrastructure - staff, money, connections and data on donors and voters - that would take years if not decades to build from scratch.

An upstart party would also have little chance of succeeding without a charismatic leader who could capture the loyalties of millions of disaffected voters, said Alex Conant, a Republican strategist who was a senior advisor to the Republican primary campaign of Marco Rubio, a Senator from Florida, in 2016.

"If somebody was going to start a third party that was going to gain some traction, it would be Trump" and not his opponents, said Conant.

Kinzinger joined the Feb. 5 video conference of the anti-Trump group and spoke for about five minutes, a spokeswoman told Reuters. But the congressman wants to "reform the party from within," she said. He has recently formed a new political action committee to support Republican primary challengers running against pro-Trump House Republicans such as Matt Gaetz, of Florida, and Marjorie Taylor Greene, of Georgia.

A spokesman for Cheney told Reuters in a statement that she opposes "any effort to split the party," saying it would only make it easier for Democrats to enact policies that conservatives oppose.

Both Cheney and Kinzinger were among just 10 House Republicans, a small minority, who voted to impeach Trump on a charge of inciting the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol.

A more likely outcome of an anti-Trump movement would be for centrist Republicans to try to purge Trumpism from within its own ranks, said David Jolly, a former Republican congressman from Florida who recently quit the party in protest of Trump and declared himself an independent.

A party of center-right conservatives could never create a broad enough coalition to win national elections, Jolly said. And Trump has effectively undercut his more moderate opponents among Republican voters, he said, by ridiculing them as "Never Trumpers" and "RINOs" (Republicans in Name Only).

"It's just impossible to escape the 'never Trump' label," he said.

Others argue it would be much harder to wrest power over the Republican Party from Trump.

"Let's not kid ourselves; we are not going to change this party," said Jim Glassman, a former undersecretary of state under George W. Bush.

Glassman gave a five-minute presentation on the Feb. 5 call advocating for a new party. Any effort to reclaim the party would be "a soul-deadening slog," he told participants.

He told Reuters on Thursday that he sees the Republican Party as now thoroughly in thrall to Trump - and beyond repair.

"I thought, if Trump lost by 7 million votes, there may have been a chance to do that," he said in an interview. "But events since the election have made clear that's not going to happen."

Asked on Wednesday about the discussions for a third party, Jason Miller, a Trump spokesman, said: "These losers left the Republican Party when they voted for Joe Biden."

SPLIT ON STRATEGY

Glassman believes there are enough Republican donors who are disgusted with Trump and willing to finance a new party. He believes a new conservative party could also attract maybe one fifth of Republican voters who disapprove of Trump, along with some independents and Democrats. Further, he said, running third-party candidates in House and Senate races would force the Trumpist candidates to tack to the center in general elections and temper the shrill partisanship of those races.

Many people at the Feb. 5 virtual gathering agreed with Glassman. In a poll of participants, about 40% of those in attendance supported creating an entirely new party, according to one source with direct knowledge of the discussions. About 20% favored creating a faction within the party, and an equal number supported creating a faction outside the party, though it remained unclear exactly how such an independent faction would operate.

While they disagreed on strategy, participants in the meeting said, attendees united on the need to organize and advocate for a return to "principled conservatism" that prizes the rule of law and adherence to the Constitution, ideals they believe Trump has violated.

Among the group at the Feb. 5 meeting was Elizabeth Neumann, former deputy chief of staff in the Department of Homeland Security under Trump. She's enraged at Republican lawmakers' continued support for Trump in the wake of his stolen-election claims, which she had repeatedly warned - before the Jan. 6 U.S. Capitol riots - could lead to violence. Now she wants to politically target the lawmakers who voted, in the hours after the deadly insurrection, to overturn the presidential election result - and she's open to any strategy that might work.

"I hear arguments that we should break off and form a new party, or we should stay inside the party. There will come a time when this crystallizes," Neumann told Reuters on Thursday. "At the moment, I'm more focused on the individual people and holding them accountable."

HISTORY OF THIRD-PARTY FAILURES

Historically, third parties have generally failed in U.S. elections, particularly at the presidential level, often serving more as spoilers than true contenders.

Theodore Roosevelt, a charismatic war hero, had served two previous terms as president but lost in 1912 when he ran as a Progressive - or "Bull Moose" - Party candidate, finishing second, with more votes than the Republican candidate, in a three-way race ultimately won by Democrat Woodrow Wilson. That was the last time any third-party candidate won more votes than either of the two major party presidential candidates.

More recently, the most successful third-party candidate was Texas billionaire Ross Perot, whose self-financed Reform Party campaign in 1992 earned him 19% of the vote in a race won by Democrat Bill Clinton, who unseated incumbent Republican President George H.W. Bush.

In other cases, supporters of losing presidential nominees have blamed third-party candidates for siphoning off voters. In 2016, some backers of Democrat Hillarious Clinton were frustrated by Green Party candidate Jill Stein, whose percentage of the vote was greater than Clinton's margin of defeat in key states.

Republican Senator Rand Paul, asked about the prospects for a new party, told Reuters: "That'd be a good way to allow the Democrats to always win."

Texas Republican Senator John Cornyn laughed when asked by Reuters about a possible third party.

"More power to 'em," he said.

Cornyn, however, predicted shared opposition to President Biden's agenda will hold Republicans together. He said he hopes life in the Republican Party will return to something more normal in Trump's absence.

"It's made us all a little crazy," Cornyn said.

(Reporting by Tim Reid, James Oliphant, David Morgan and Joseph Ax; writing by Brian Thevenot; editing by Soyoung Kim and Brian Thevenot)

https://news.yahoo.com/anti-trump-republicans-face-major-013812682.html

GO RV, then BV

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

Do you even listen to yourself?.....in all bold caps too.  Wow.

GO RV, then BV

To use Bidens words, "Comon Man", there were more than 2 million people at the rally. Congress wouldn't have stood a snowball's chance in haties if that crowd got out of control. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Pow! 2

6 minutes ago, md11fr8dawg said:

Yea, but the party of corruption and election stealing needs to keep the illusion going of how bad the Trump supporters are. They are gonna ride this mule into the ground, or they are gonna keep poking the God fearing, America loving, Constitutional Conservatives in the eye until it bites them in the arse.

Something tells me that had better happen soon. 

• Upvote 2
  • Pow! 1

2 hours ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

there were more than 2 million people at the rally

Get real!

What is a broad estimate that you could believe if it were presented to you?

I’m perfectly prepared to believe there were several thousand people there, even 10,000 maybe. But when you start pushing that up to 100,000 and so on, that’s not going to be true.

https://theconversation.com/it-is-difficult-if-not-impossible-to-estimate-the-size-of-the-crowd-that-stormed-capitol-hill-152889

• Downvote 6

3 minutes ago, caddieman said:

What is a broad estimate that you could believe if it were presented to you?

I’m perfectly prepared to believe there were several thousand people there, even 10,000 maybe. But when you start pushing that up to 100,000 and so on, that’s not going to be true.

https://theconversation.com/it-is-difficult-if-not-impossible-to-estimate-the-size-of-the-crowd-that-stormed-capitol-hill-152889

So based on the person writing this article "his broad estimate and apparently yours is limited to 10,000.

That does not mean others are limited to that number. I was not there so I cant say. It doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. The only Republicans who have anything to fear would be the RINOs who keep flip flopping on the party. Their constituants are not going to be happy when it is time for re election time. 

• Upvote 3
  • Pow! 2

1 minute ago, nstoolman1 said:

So based on the person writing this article "his broad estimate and apparently yours is limited to 10,000.

That does not mean others are limited to that number. I was not there so I cant say. It doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. The only Republicans who have anything to fear would be the RINOs who keep flip flopping on the party. Their constituants are not going to be happy when it is time for re election time. 

Yep far cry from the 2 million proposed!

• Downvote 5

3 hours ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

To use Bidens words, "Comon Man", there were more than 2 million people at the rally. Congress wouldn't have stood a snowball's chance in haties if that crowd got out of control. 

Image result for c'mon man joe biden gif

:lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:

YOU The MAN, LadyGrace'sDaddy!!!

:flagsmiley::flagsmiley::flagsmiley::salute:!!!LadyGrace'sDaddy!!!:flagsmiley::flagsmiley::flagsmiley:

Unlike, of course, Ze - THEE "noted" "poster" "keyboard" "combatant".

:facepalm3:   :facepalm3:   :facepalm3:

:shakehead:     :shakehead:     :shakehead:

• Upvote 1

there were more than 2 million people at the rally.

The "Key" Word here is "Rally"  There were "Maybe a few Thousand at the Actual Capitol.

But hey the More the merrier or better the story appears to the Leftist......Oh My God I was in fear of Dying when she was a Block Away in a Different Building.

Karsten

• Pow! 4

18 hours ago, Shabibilicious said:
Esquire

Charles P. Pierce
Thu, February 11, 2021, 11:23 AM

From Esquire

Having watched the prosecution present its case in The Second Impeachment for two days, and preparing to watch the wrap-up on Thursday, I have discovered that there are two emotions for which I have no patience any more. First, the events of January 6 no longer make me sad. I do not mourn any more. I’m ready to march on Harfleur. I have nothing left but what Shakespeare calls “hard-favored rage.” The other state of being for which I no longer have time is mystification. As in, “How can Republicans still essentially vote in favor of the mob that came after the Congress with blood in its eyes?” A new poll from, of all places, the American Enterprise Institute, explains that phenomenon and leaves no room for doubt. From NPR:

The survey found that nearly three in 10 Americans, including 39% of Republicans, agreed that, "If elected leaders will not protect America, the people must do it themselves, even if it requires violent actions.” That result was "a really dramatic finding," says Daniel Cox, director of the AEI Survey Center on American Life. "I think any time you have a significant number of the public saying use of force can be justified in our political system, that's pretty scary.”

The survey found stark divisions between Republicans and Democrats on the 2020 presidential election, with two out of three Republicans saying President Biden was not legitimately elected, while 98% of Democrats and 73% of Independents acknowledged Biden's victory.

The political concrete is thick and set. Forty years of radio and television propaganda, eight to 10 hours a day of it, and four decades of conservative politics incapable of resisting a slide into angry fantasy, have made a radical cult out of one of our two major political parties, and Republican politicians are now afraid of more than a threat simply to their political lives. Mike Pence was not running for re-election in those newly revealed security videos. He was running for his life.

(Speaking of whom, where the hell is the Choirboy anyway? Doesn’t the guy owe at least the respect of his presence to the people who saved him from the mob? Doesn’t he owe the Capitol Police a public thank-you? And wasn’t it reassuring to see how close the mob came to getting its hands on the nuclear “football”?)

It’s even worse out in the country. State parties are demonstrating that they have become completely demented. The Arizona GOP censured Cindy McCain, of all people. Young Ben Sasse is in Dutch with the Nebraska Republicans. (Smarm is no defense against crazy.) Already, we’ve had Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Breathalyzer) demonstrating his willingness to go to hell or Wyoming to enforce loyalty to his departed leader. (Most recently, Gaetz has opened the ball on Rep. Adam Kitzinger, too.) In South Dakota, Senator John Thune has become Target A simply because Thune said publicly that the insurrection horrified him. Elected Republican state politicians were well-represented in the mob that ran riot on January 6. Of course, Republican senators are pretending to be unmoved—the ones that aren’t genuinely unmoved…coughJoshHawleycough…anyway. Josh Mandel, a Tea Party retread in Ohio, has announced that he will run to replace alleged moderate Rob Portman in the Senate. Mandel already has lost three Senate races, but he clearly senses that the time has arrived at last for his brand of nutbaggery. From WKYC:

"I've been watching this sham and unconstitutional impeachment, and it's really made my blood boil and it's motivated me to run for the U.S. Senate," he said. "I want to go to Washington to stand up for the Trump 'America First' agenda…I think over time, we're going to see studies come out that evidence widespread fraud," he claimed. "You know, what you see with any type of fraud, it usually takes time to investigate it and to dig it out, and it might be months, it might be years, it might be decades. But I think when we look back on this election, we'll see in large part that it was stolen from President Trump."

On the other hand, Reuters tells us that 120 allegedly influential Republicans are meeting to discuss forming a Not Insane Party, which is as clear an indication of surrender as a white flag against a clear blue sky.

Call participants said they were particularly dismayed by the fact that more than half of the Republicans in Congress - eight senators and 139 House representatives - voted to block certification of Biden’s election victory just hours after the Capitol siege. Most Republican senators have also indicated they will not support system" rel="">support the conviction of Trump in this week’s Senate impeachment trial. “Large portions of the Republican Party are radicalizing and threatening American democracy,” McMullin told Reuters. “The party needs to recommit to truth, reason and founding ideals or there clearly needs to be something new.”

Good luck with that, Sparky. Maybe you can nominate Zombie William Seward next time.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/republican-politicians-now-fear-more-162300697.html

GO RV, then BV

One of the more ridiculous articles I've read.....pretty pathetic journalism...

CL 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Shabibilicious said:
Reuters

Prominent anti-Trump Republicans reject third party

39b96353f45970d69f775581224459bd
Rotunda of the U.S. Capitol
Tim Reid, James Oliphant, David Morgan and Joseph Ax
Thu, February 11, 2021, 8:38 PM

By Tim Reid, James Oliphant, David Morgan and Joseph Ax

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A group of former Republican officials considering a new center-right political party to counter former President Donald Trump's influence would face steep challenges in shaking up a U.S. political system that has favored two-party rule throughout its history.

Reuters exclusively reported on Wednesday that more than 120 Republicans - including former elected officials, along with former administrators under Trump and former presidents Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush - met virtually on Feb. 5 to discuss forming a third party or a new center-right faction.

Two of the most prominent anti-Trump Republicans in Congress - Representative Liz Cheney of Wyoming and Representative Adam Kinzinger of Illinois - rejected the idea of a breakaway party in statements to Reuters on Thursday. Other Republican critics of Trump expressed similar skepticism - arguing a third party would accomplish little beyond splitting the votes of conservatives and helping Democrats get elected.

The resistance to a third party among some of Trump's toughest Republican critics underscores the extreme difficulty of such a political revolt. Such an effort would require walking away from the Republican Party's massive political infrastructure - staff, money, connections and data on donors and voters - that would take years if not decades to build from scratch.

An upstart party would also have little chance of succeeding without a charismatic leader who could capture the loyalties of millions of disaffected voters, said Alex Conant, a Republican strategist who was a senior advisor to the Republican primary campaign of Marco Rubio, a Senator from Florida, in 2016.

"If somebody was going to start a third party that was going to gain some traction, it would be Trump" and not his opponents, said Conant.

Kinzinger joined the Feb. 5 video conference of the anti-Trump group and spoke for about five minutes, a spokeswoman told Reuters. But the congressman wants to "reform the party from within," she said. He has recently formed a new political action committee to support system" rel="">support Republican primary challengers running against pro-Trump House Republicans such as Matt Gaetz, of Florida, and Marjorie Taylor Greene, of Georgia.

A spokesman for Cheney told Reuters in a statement that she opposes "any effort to split the party," saying it would only make it easier for Democrats to enact policies that conservatives oppose.

Both Cheney and Kinzinger were among just 10 House Republicans, a small minority, who voted to impeach Trump on a charge of inciting the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol.

A more likely outcome of an anti-Trump movement would be for centrist Republicans to try to purge Trumpism from within its own ranks, said David Jolly, a former Republican congressman from Florida who recently quit the party in protest of Trump and declared himself an independent.

A party of center-right conservatives could never create a broad enough coalition to win national elections, Jolly said. And Trump has effectively undercut his more moderate opponents among Republican voters, he said, by ridiculing them as "Never Trumpers" and "RINOs" (Republicans in Name Only).

"It's just impossible to escape the 'never Trump' label," he said.

Others argue it would be much harder to wrest power over the Republican Party from Trump.

"Let's not kid ourselves; we are not going to change this party," said Jim Glassman, a former undersecretary of state under George W. Bush.

Glassman gave a five-minute presentation on the Feb. 5 call advocating for a new party. Any effort to reclaim the party would be "a soul-deadening slog," he told participants.

He told Reuters on Thursday that he sees the Republican Party as now thoroughly in thrall to Trump - and beyond repair.

"I thought, if Trump lost by 7 million votes, there may have been a chance to do that," he said in an interview. "But events since the election have made clear that's not going to happen."

Asked on Wednesday about the discussions for a third party, Jason Miller, a Trump spokesman, said: "These losers left the Republican Party when they voted for Joe Biden."

SPLIT ON STRATEGY

Glassman believes there are enough Republican donors who are disgusted with Trump and willing to finance a new party. He believes a new conservative party could also attract maybe one fifth of Republican voters who disapprove of Trump, along with some independents and Democrats. Further, he said, running third-party candidates in House and Senate races would force the Trumpist candidates to tack to the center in general elections and temper the shrill partisanship of those races.

Many people at the Feb. 5 virtual gathering agreed with Glassman. In a poll of participants, about 40% of those in attendance supported creating an entirely new party, according to one source with direct knowledge of the discussions. About 20% favored creating a faction within the party, and an equal number supported creating a faction outside the party, though it remained unclear exactly how such an independent faction would operate.

While they disagreed on strategy, participants in the meeting said, attendees united on the need to organize and advocate for a return to "principled conservatism" that prizes the rule of law and adherence to the Constitution, ideals they believe Trump has violated.

Among the group at the Feb. 5 meeting was Elizabeth Neumann, former deputy chief of staff in the Department of Homeland Security under Trump. She's enraged at Republican lawmakers' continued support system" rel="">support for Trump in the wake of his stolen-election claims, which she had repeatedly warned - before the Jan. 6 U.S. Capitol riots - could lead to violence. Now she wants to politically target the lawmakers who voted, in the hours after the deadly insurrection, to overturn the presidential election result - and she's open to any strategy that might work.

"I hear arguments that we should break off and form a new party, or we should stay inside the party. There will come a time when this crystallizes," Neumann told Reuters on Thursday. "At the moment, I'm more focused on the individual people and holding them accountable."

HISTORY OF THIRD-PARTY FAILURES

Historically, third parties have generally failed in U.S. elections, particularly at the presidential level, often serving more as spoilers than true contenders.

Theodore Roosevelt, a charismatic war hero, had served two previous terms as president but lost in 1912 when he ran as a Progressive - or "Bull Moose" - Party candidate, finishing second, with more votes than the Republican candidate, in a three-way race ultimately won by Democrat Woodrow Wilson. That was the last time any third-party candidate won more votes than either of the two major party presidential candidates.

More recently, the most successful third-party candidate was Texas billionaire Ross Perot, whose self-financed Reform Party campaign in 1992 earned him 19% of the vote in a race won by Democrat Bill Clinton, who unseated incumbent Republican President George H.W. Bush.

In other cases, supporters of losing presidential nominees have blamed third-party candidates for siphoning off voters. In 2016, some backers of Democrat Hillarious Clinton were frustrated by Green Party candidate Jill Stein, whose percentage of the vote was greater than Clinton's margin of defeat in key states.

Republican Senator Rand Paul, asked about the prospects for a new party, told Reuters: "That'd be a good way to allow the Democrats to always win."

Texas Republican Senator John Cornyn laughed when asked by Reuters about a possible third party.

"More power to 'em," he said.

Cornyn, however, predicted shared opposition to President Biden's agenda will hold Republicans together. He said he hopes life in the Republican Party will return to something more normal in Trump's absence.

"It's made us all a little crazy," Cornyn said.

(Reporting by Tim Reid, James Oliphant, David Morgan and Joseph Ax; writing by Brian Thevenot; editing by Soyoung Kim and Brian Thevenot)

https://news.yahoo.com/anti-trump-republicans-face-major-013812682.html

GO RV, then BV

A third party only works if it is bipartisan......like minded citizens who are tired of the status quo old establishment government...time to go back to people and country first.... before party....

CL

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

On 2/13/2021 at 8:42 AM, coorslite21 said:

A third party only works if it is bipartisan......like minded citizens who are tired of the status quo old establishment government...time to go back to people and country first.... before party....

CL

And this is a statement I can get behind.....I was absolutely a fence sitter with a slight left lean before the advent of The Apprentice, which essentially pushed me to the Left....A party of like minded reasonable individuals, sans far Left or Right extremism sounds great to me....In fact a party of those kinds of folks would be epic.

GO RV, then BV 

• Pow! 1