Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Global Warming Alert

bigwave

29 minutes ago, jaman said:

you'll funny....I live I minnesota where Our lakes stay frozen for 4-5 months, we put houses on them and fish and spire fish...NO big deal. Quit sucking on those lemons.... HEY NJ would love some of that snow

The issue is Texas doesn't normally have 0 degrees with windchills in the -40 range. It is not funny when people die which is bound to happen before this is over. In Minnesota, I'm quite sure everyone expects your weather and is therefore prepared with the proper clothes, etc.

You may think we're overreacting but my son lost a young calf to the weather today - it's not funny to him or anyone else trying to protect family members, livestock and pets.

Making a joke at someone else's hardship is not what I call "funny". Actually, I think it shows an extreme lack of humanity.

:cowboy2:

Small edit - the statement above does not apply to the Texas Panhandle where this kind of weather is common place in winter.

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Pow! 2

16 minutes ago, TexasGranny said:

The issue is Texas doesn't normally have 0 degrees with windchills in the -40 range. It is not funny when people die which is bound to happen before this is over. In Minnesota, I'm quite sure everyone expects your weather and is therefore prepared with the proper clothes, etc.

You may think we're overreacting but my son lost a young calf to the weather today - it's not funny to him or anyone else trying to protect family members, livestock and pets.

Making a joke at someone else's hardship is not what I call "funny". Actually, I think it shows an extreme lack of humanity.

Small edit - the statement above does not apply to the Texas Panhandle where this kind of weather is common place in winter.

I'm in south eastern Oklahoma.  We have lost 2 calves and tonight's low temp might get the old horse

• Sad 5

I lived down off FM1960 some years ago when the ice storm blew through the Mid West and it wasn't pretty in Texas let alone all point North. Luckily being from Utah i had packed away all the warm clothes, Blankets and other stuff....Why I had no clue until that happened and I handed out what I didn't need to some neighbors.

I just saw a Video from Southern Hoggers (Feral Hog Hunting) and they were finding a lot of hogs that have Frozen to death over night....I don't know how the heck you can keep your livestock Safe when something like this hits when no one was prepared.......Stay safe and off the roads unless it is absolutely necessary.

Karsten

• Thanks 4
  • Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, boomhand86 said:

I'm in south eastern Oklahoma.  We have lost 2 calves and tonight's low temp might get the old horse

I had to put my 27 yr old baby down on Tuesday - he couldn't walk any more (founder). 😢 He would not have made it through this. We put his horse blanket on our appy on Saturday - she didn't know what it was (never had one before). She seems to be doing good though at 28 - lots of feed and alfalfa to keep her body heat up.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 6

56 minutes ago, TexasGranny said:

I had to put my 27 yr old baby down on Tuesday - he couldn't walk any more (founder). 😢 He would not have made it through this. We put his horse blanket on our appy on Saturday - she didn't know what it was (never had one before). She seems to be doing good though at 28 - lots of feed and alfalfa to keep her body heat up.

:praying: for your 4 legged furry family members. Chickens too, if you have any. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, bigwave said:

Turbines Freeze Up in Texas Cold Snap – Shutting Down Nearly Half of the Wind Energy in West Texas

I'm amazed at the STUPIDITY of liberals like AOC and her avid followers. If we were all living under "The new green F you deal" in this situation people would be without power for another week. 

It's 30 below with the wind chill factor here in Kansas. Yesterday we lost power for just over an hour. I can tell you that loosing power under these conditions in less than a day people would be dying. 

But hey they saved the world. 

There is no question that liberalism is evil. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Pow! 1

9 hours ago, TexasGranny said:

We'll be praying for you and yours. May the Lord Bless you and keep you all in his hands. :praying:

• Like 1
  • Pow! 1

Man, if you don't think these RATS should be as far away from ANY power as possible, you need help. They have absolutely NOTHING AND I MEAN NOTHING to bring to the table to help anyone. They are so Damn smart, everything they touch turns to shiite and then they want you to put or keep them in power to fix what the hell they caused. As the saying goes with certain breeds of animals, "They have been bred into stupidity". So where is ole Joke Biden on this? Well he is doubling down on the climate change MADNESS. "It's an Existential Threat"!!! Yeah, right and my arse is made of sugar!! Lunacy!! Let's defund the police and let violent criminals out of prison and then for good measure let's confiscate those guns (especially those assault rifles). Then let's double up on those masks that work so well. Let's run a second scam/sham impeachment of a Prez who is no longer Prez. And let's get Hollywood's help in doctoring the videos they used to show how really really bad Orange Man was, so Trumps legal team can chew them up and allow the public to see the incompetent FOOLS they really are. Elections have consequences, and this one is shaping up to have the most dire in the history of this country. PERIOD!

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Pow! 2

15 hours ago, TexasGranny said:

This may be of help to few animal owners, but:  Many years ago my  grandfather had a sow with piglets and during a cold snap he strung up a high wattage light bulb over them.  The heat from that light bulb was enough to keep them from freezing to death. 

Prayers to all and their animals suffering from cold at this time.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 4

18 hours ago, TexasGranny said:

come on...don't you thing we have live stock up in FARM LAND.. and haven't see dead and frozen cows on a daily, we have people who are homeless ...so your only problem is the word " FUNNY" suck it up

• Downvote 8

18 hours ago, jaman said:

you'll funny....I live I minnesota where Our lakes stay frozen for 4-5 months, we put houses on them and fish and spire fish...NO big deal. Quit sucking on those lemons.... HEY NJ would love some of that snow

1 minute ago, jaman said:

come on...don't you thing we have live stock up in FARM LAND.. and haven't see dead and frozen cows on a daily, we have people who are homeless ...so your only problem is the word " FUNNY" suck it up

Maybe cool yer jets here.

I grew up in severe winter weather conditions where livestock acclimated to the changing seasons and precautions needed to be taken to ensure the herds were cared for, fed, and didn't freeze to death during more severe spells. Wind and wind chill is a huge issue. I think the higher the humidity in the cold air, the more biting cold it can be. It really is a big deal. A far bigger deal in areas that typically do not experience severe winter weather conditions like this where livestock is more critically affected and building standards are not set for cold weather conditions so freezing pipes are far more of an issue. I doubt water lines feeding homes and buildings are a minimum of 5 1/2 feet below grade to ensure the water supply line stays below the frost line. Heating lamps above the farrowing oinkers just high enough where the standing sow doesn't hit the lamp and having hay on the floor only works in a confinement of some sort like a hog house where the wind is avoided. Probably having confinements of some sort is not available in areas not experiencing snow and cold like this so providing environments that do not severely affect livestock and some pets is not easily or readily applied.

I enjoyed snowmobiling, too, in upper Minnesota.

Ice fishing is cool. Jigging on 2 to 4 lb test line about a foot off the bottom and watching the fish come up and staring at the bait is frustrating but you get to see what is down there.

Snow and cold weather can be fun if set up for it in those areas that typically have snow and cold weather provided livelihood conditions are not adversely affected. This year, many areas are experiencing snow and cold weather conditions never before experienced by many while adequate preparations of accommodations and livestock is challenging at best and will likely have some undesirable outcome - like loss of pets and livestock or frozen pipes causing water damage to homes or businesses.

These hardships are not an opportunity for ridicule or jocularities of any sort.

Sure, celebrate snow and cold recreational opportunities BUT console those adversely affected where life issues are compromised. And, of course, help out if possible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3
  • Pow! 1

7 hours ago, jaman said:

You should know, son, there are maybe only two people on this site with the same clout as Adam Montana. And Texas Granny is one of them. So I suggest that you suck it up and calm down before you say anything more you regret. You have now violated multiple rules of this site and further violations will not be tolerated

• Thanks 1
  • Pow! 3

9 hours ago, jaman said:

I am assuming you have a fireplace and wood.  The majority of homes down here do not have fireplaces.  When the power goes out there is no way for them.to heat their homes. The elderly and babies with no heat, no way to cook the food or make coffee because there is no electricity. 

As I speak I am fortunate enough to have a gas fireplace but I have been without power since. 4:30 am. Many have gone without for over two days with temps below freezing.  It's not funny.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 4
  • Pow! 1

We now have electricity and grateful to have it again.  Still have no water but turning on the lights is good.  

We were here without Electricity for 36 hours.  We had other means to heat our home but for those who have nothing my heart goes out to them.  9 degrees in Houston = -40 in NYC.  Do that with no heat or electricity and you should be able to see how dangerous a situation it is for many people.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5