Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Transition Warning: Trump's Mental Illness Is A Growing Danger

USA TODAY Opinion

Transition warning: Trump's mental illness is a growing danger

Bandy X. Lee, Opinion contributor
Mon, November 23, 2020, 3:15 AM EST

As the world celebrated a Biden-Harris victory, mental health professionals braced for the two-and-a-half months that we deemed would be the most dangerous period of this presidency. Indeed, in just the days since announcement of election results, Donald Trump has refused to concede, has obstructed a peaceful transfer of power, has fired and replaced top officials responsible for the nation’s security, and has contemplated catastrophic war. All this is on top of ignoring a surging pandemic that is now infecting more than 150,000 per day and killing more than 1,500 Americans per day.

Since Donald Trump’s election, mental health professionals have come forth in historically unprecedented ways to warn against entrusting the U.S. presidency to someone exhibiting dangerous mental impairments. We held an ethics conference with the most highly respected psychiatrists in the country to ensure a solid ethical basis for speaking up. We then published "The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump: 37 Psychiatrists and Mental Health Experts Assess a President," which became an unprecedented bestseller of its kind, and donated all proceeds from the book to remove conflicts of interest.

How the American Psychiatric Association has reacted to Trump

Meanwhile, the leadership of American Psychiatric Association promulgated the false notion that we cannot know anything about a person without a personal examination — which goes against its own standards since 1980, when observation superseded interviews for diagnosis. Public health interventions, furthermore, do not even require a diagnosis, much less a personal examination. When we continued to speak up, it engaged in public campaigns that included the New York Times, soon after which media inquiries abruptly dried up. The APA thus “disappeared” mental health experts from public view since January 2018, leaving mental health discussions to lay pundits, who regularly underestimated and minimized the president’s dangers.

President Donald Trump May 21, 2020, in Washington, D.C.
President Donald Trump May 21, 2020, in Washington, D.C.

We knew from speaking and meeting with Congress members at their request, since April 2017, that they were depending on us to “educate the public medically, so that we can do our work politically.” Hence, blocking mental health experts’ voices would come to mean impeding any possibility of intervention, and this is indeed what happened. Yet, according to my scholarly exchanges with author of "The 25th Amendment," attorney and professor John Feerick — with whom I had the honor to speak at the same conferences — the amendment was written so that “the data would drive the process, and medical professionals are a source of data.” Professor John Rogan, his close collaborator on the 25th Amendment, clarified on another occasion: “physicians have a supererogatory obligation to share specialized knowledge. This is especially important when discussing psychiatric conditions, which may be hard to apprehend.” The vice president, far from being the driver of the process, would be “leaned upon” by the cabinet or the “other body” that Congress can appoint to supplant the cabinet, in response to the data.

Therefore, whereas I consider it unethical for a medical professional to opine on whether or not the 25th Amendment should be invoked — it is not within the boundaries of our expertise — we as mental health professionals can and should say if a president must be removed for public health and safety reasons, whatever the means. Indeed, thousands of mental health professionals have joined together in this assessment since the start of this presidency, with more than 800 petitioning Congress about the dangers almost a year ago, and, more recently, 100 senior mental health professionals going on video record to declare the current president too psychologically dangerous and mentally unfit to be in the presidency or candidacy for reelection. We recently published more than 300 pages of our letters, petitions, and conference transcripts in an attempt to alert the authorities. When these did not have effect, we reconvened top experts in the fields of law, history, political science, economics, journalism, social psychology, climate science and nuclear science at an emergency interdisciplinary conference, to follow up on a meeting with the same speakers at the National Press Club in early 2019, with the full three hours broadcast on C-SPAN.

The president’s dangerousness is no longer debatable. Our warnings have now been realized exactly as we said they would four years ago, as if on schedule, with abundant real-life evidence. When the right information became available, a peer-reviewed panel of independent experts performed a standardized assessment of mental capacity, to the highest rigor possible, in which the president failed every criterion. This means he would be unfit for any job, let alone president. Our evaluation fully predicted that he would disastrously mismanage a pandemic, as our blow-by-blow account shows.

Trump's fitness and the 25th Amendment

We recently held a town hall to ask the question: “What is wrong with our Constitution?” Why would it fail to protect the nation at the most basic level? We featured House member and constitutional scholar Jamie Raskin’s lecture to us on the 25th Amendment in 2019, made current again through his reintroduction of legislation for a commission to oversee presidential capacity, of which physicians and psychiatrists would comprise half. Dr. James Merikangas, a foremost forensic neuropsychiatrist joined us to discuss fitness tests, and attorney and professor Richard Painter, former chief White House ethics counsel for the Bush/Cheney Administration and former chair of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) spoke to us about fixes to the 25th Amendment and the need to hold wrongdoers accountable.

Trump's danger: Trump history and behavior suggest destructive mental processes that put America at risk

We need to get back to basics. Painter stated at our conference: “the Goldwater rule … is a violation of your First Amendment rights, and a violation of your duty to your country and to human civilization.” It is a basic understanding that to remain silent against a critical medical need is a violation of our professional “responsibility to society,” as outlined in the first paragraph of the preamble of our ethics code. The APA should no longer mislead the public and the media into believing that its guild rule of restricting speech on public figures, which no other mental health association has and is not admissible on any state licensing board, is universal. The truly universal Declaration of Geneva says that we must prevent harm and injustice, especially when they are coming from a destructive government.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/transition-warning-trumps-mental-illness-081510514.html

GO RV, then BV

• Like 5
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

Got a link to your claim?

GO RV, then BV

I don't think he needs one. It's his opinion and your posts often support his claim. 

You are blind to all things that might favor Trump. Even when the courts throw out the fraudulent votes and he is re-elected you will go back to your Trump attacks under the guise of "holding him accountable". Ignoring all lies that the left has been spewing for the last many years.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Pow! 2

2 minutes ago, nstoolman1 said:

I don't think he needs one. It's his opinion and your posts often support his claim. 

You are blind to all things that might favor Trump. Even when the courts throw out the fraudulent votes and he is re-elected you will go back to your Trump attacks under the guise of "holding him accountable". Ignoring all lies that the left has been spewing for the last many years.

These fraudulent votes you speak of.....fraudulent how?

GO RV, then BV

5 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

I couldn't find a link from Qrazy town to my liking....what's a rational guy like me to do?  :shrug:

GO RV, then BV

I see.....you are really "Q" from Qrazy town.....it all makes perfect sense now.....you're intentionally trying to throw us off the trail of truth and honesty....

CL

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Shabibilicious said:

USA Today actually.

GO RV, then BV

Is there any difference? Both are such Satanic lying rags so full of liberal evil that I wouldn't wipe my butt with either for fear of being burned. 

3 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

I couldn't find a link from Qrazy town to my liking....what's a rational guy like me to do?  :shrug:

GO RV, then BV

:shrug:RATIONAL :facepalm1:

2 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

These fraudulent votes you speak of.....fraudulent how?

GO RV, then BV

As in every Evil Democratic Communist Party members vote two or three times. 

Comon man, wake up and at least admit that your group did this by nefarious means. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Pow! 1

Just now, coorslite21 said:

I see.....you are really "Q" from Qrazy town.....it all makes perfect sense now.....you're intentionally trying to throw us off the trail of truth and honesty....

CL

Again, do you have a link to your claims, or are you just tossing opinions at the wall to see what sticks.  In my opinion, Q is all about Dominion....and you are all about Dominion....so 1 plus 1...

GO RV, then BV

3 minutes ago, nstoolman1 said:

No signatures, no post marks, non verified signatures, dirty voter roles(dead people voting)

Without evidence presented to the courts it's just hearsay....that's why case after case has been dismissed.  Levin talks a good game with his straight face, but in the end, without evidence, it's just his opinion to an impressionable audience. 

GO RV, then BV

Senator Portman Says No Evidence of Widespread Voter Fraud, Calls on Trump to Cooperate with Biden Transition

Mairead McArdle  <---Required
Mon, November 23, 2020, 11:44 AM CST  <---Required

Senator Rob Portman said Monday that he sees no evidence of voter fraud sufficient to overturn Joe Biden’s presidential victory and called on the Trump administration to begin cooperating with the former vice president’s transition team.

“I have supported the Trump campaign’s right to count every lawful vote, request state recounts and pursue lawsuits regarding election fraud or other irregularities,” Portman wrote in an op-ed published Monday in the Cincinnati Enquirer.

The Ohio Republican said there were “instances of fraud and irregularities in this election, as there have been in every election,” and while it is good that such wrongdoing has been exposed, “there is no evidence as of now of any widespread fraud or irregularities that would change the result in any state.”

Portman, who served as a co-chair of the Trump campaign in Ohio, said he voted for the incumbent and believes Trump’s policies would be better for Ohio and the country.

“But I also believe that there is no more sacred constitutional process in our great democracy than the orderly transfer of power after a presidential election. It is now time to expeditiously resolve any outstanding questions and move forward,” the senator wrote.

Portman also called on the administration to begin cooperating with Biden’s transition team, which the General Services Administration, the agency responsible for overseeing a presidential transition, has been stonewalling since the election. The transition preparations involve the administration releasing millions of dollars to the Biden team and providing access to federal agencies and office space in Washington.

Biden should also be granted intelligence briefings and briefings on the coronavirus vaccine distribution plan, Portman recommended. Biden has said he is currently not receiving the daily classified briefing on security threats that a president-elect is typically given.

“In the likely event that Joe Biden becomes our next president, it is in the national interest that the transition is seamless,” Portman said.

Portman is the latest of a growing group of Republican senators who have called on the administration to accept the election results as Trump’s legal team suffers defeats in battleground states that were called for Biden and the December 8 “safe harbor” deadline for states to certify their electors approaches.

Senator Mitt Romney last week criticized one of Trump’s recent strategies to overturn the election results that relies on appealing to Republican legislators in swing states to appoint loyal electors in defiance of the election results. Nebraska Senator Ben Sasse, another Republican critical of Trump’s approach, urged the public to tune out the noise and look at the actual claims the president’s lawyers have made, which do not include widespread fraud.

Senator Portman Says No Evidence of Widespread Voter Fraud, Calls on Trump to Cooperate with Biden Transition (yahoo.com)

Edited by Markinsa
Added Author and Time
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

Is there any difference? Both are such Satanic lying rags so full of liberal evil that I wouldn't wipe my butt with either for fear of being burned. 

Struggling to find TP again?.....I hear there's a run on TP at the stores again....seems the virus didn't go away after the election and the corner wasn't truly rounded.  

GO RV, then BV

1 minute ago, Shabibilicious said:

Struggling to find TP again?.....I hear there's a run on TP at the stores again....seems the virus didn't go away after the election and the corner wasn't truly rounded.  

GO RV, then BV

Because of the Evil Democratic Communist party this election ISN'T OVER.  Furthermore, the Lunatic leftists and your efforts to get President Trump to give up only shows your fear of his legal procedures winning in the Supreme Court. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

Again, do you have a link to your claims, or are you just tossing opinions at the wall to see what sticks.  In my opinion, Q is all about Dominion....and you are all about Dominion....so 1 plus 1...

GO RV, then BV

Plenty of time for all of this to sort itself out.....links to most all US based MSM stories are worthless.....just left leaning biased anti- Trump hit pieces.....has been that way for 5years....

Common sense and logic....they should always rule the day.....just too much stench on this entire election.....you'll see.....    CL

Regarding Q and Dominion....where is your link to that?.....I read that Q has been removed from ever where....    CL

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, coorslite21 said:

Plenty of time for all of this to sort itself out.....links to most all US based MSM stories are worthless.....just left leaning biased anti- Trump hit pieces.....has been that way for 5years....

Common sense and logic....they should always rule the day.....just too much stench on this entire election.....you'll see.....    CL

Regarding Q and Dominion....where is your link to that?.....I read that Q has been removed from ever where....    CL

Dominion is to Sidney Powell as Sidney Powell is to Q....that's the link, pure and simple.

GO RV, then BV

• Pow! 1