Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Christian Group Hits Trump: 'The Days Of Using Our Faith For Your Benefit Are Over'

Christian Group Hits Trump: ‘The Days Of Using Our Faith For Your Benefit Are Over’

Ed Mazza
·Overnight Editor, HuffPost
Thu, October 15, 2020, 4:14 AM EDT

A new bipartisan Christian super PAC is taking on President Donald Trump with a new ad that accuses him of hypocrisy when it comes to matters of faith.

“Mr. President, the days of using our faith for your benefit are over,” the ad from Not Our Faith warns. “We know you need the support of Christians like us to win this election. But you can’t have it.”

The spot also accuses Trump of “using Christianity for his own purposes,” and shows footage of his Bible-toting photo op in front of St. John’s Episcopal Church, across from the White House, after having peaceful protesters teargassed to clear the area for him.

Not Our Faith’s advisory council includes Michael Wear, a faith adviser to former President Barack Obama’s 2012 reelection campaign, and Autumn Vandehei, who was an aide to former Rep. Tom Delay (R-Texas), The Associated Press reported. The group is launching a six-figure TV and digital ad campaign targeting Christians, especially evangelical and Catholic voters.

“Trump eked out 2016 with unprecedented support from white evangelicals and, important to note, a really strong showing among Catholics. We’re going after all of it,” Wear told AP. “We think Christian support is on the table in this election.”

Indeed, last week more than 1,600 Christian leaders signed a letter endorsing former Vice President Joe Biden. And this week, a Pew poll found that Trump is bleeding support among Christian voters, including the evangelicals who were essential to his 2016 victory.

“Christians don’t need Trump to save them,” the new ad states. “The truth is that Trump needs Christians to save his flailing campaign.”

In a USA Today op-ed, Wear took issue with Trump’s bold claims about faith ― and in particular spoke out against Eric Trump, one of the president’s sons, for proclaiming that Trump had “literally saved” Christianity.

“For Christians, of course, the position of Savior is already filled,” Wear wrote. “And Jesus is one person Trump can’t fire or bully.”

See the ad from Not Our Faith below:

GO RV, then BV
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, nstoolman1 said:

They are selling their soul to the Democrats. They do need to ask for forgiveness.

Dems are friends to religious groups as long as they are not Christian based. 

Actually Dems are friends to ALL religions....as per the U.S. Constitution.  It's Trump and the GOP that wants to ban Muslims, a religious class protected under, again....the U.S. Constitution.

GO RV, then BV

Edited by Shabibilicious
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3
  • Upvote 2

Trump's White Christian support Has Slipped, Poll Indicates

Carol Kuruvilla
Religion Reporter, HuffPost
HuffPostOctober 14, 2020

White Christians’ support for President Donald Trump has slipped since August, a new Pew Research Center survey has found. 

Overall, Trump is still the favored pick for president among white Christian voters, with majorities of white evangelicals, white Catholics and white non-evangelical Protestants telling Pew they were leaning toward voting for him. But since white Christians are a key part of the electorate ― making up about 44% of registered voters ― the smallest dip in support in a few crucial swing states could spell trouble for Trump. 

The dip was particularly noticeable among white Catholics, according to data published Tuesday. In late July and early August, Trump held a 19 percentage point lead on the Democratic nominee, former Vice President Joe Biden, who is  Catholic (59% to 40%). That lead shrank to just 8 points in Pew’s latest poll, which was conducted among 10,543 registered voters nationwide from Sept. 30 through Oct. 5. 

White non-evangelical Protestants’ support for Trump dropped from 59% over the summer to 53% this fall.

The president’s most reliable supporters ― white evangelical Protestants ― are still firmly in his camp, with 78% saying they intended to vote for Trump next month. But even in this group, a few percentage points had been shaved off since the summer, when 83% said they would vote for Trump.

President Donald Trump at a campaign rally Tuesday in Johnstown, Pennsylvania. About 78% of white evangelicals told Pew they were leaning toward voting for the president's reelection. (Photo: Evan Vucci/Associated Press)
President Donald Trump at a campaign rally Tuesday in Johnstown, Pennsylvania. About 78% of white evangelicals told Pew they were leaning toward voting for the president's reelection. (Photo: Evan Vucci/Associated Press)

There is a significant overlap between white Christian voters and the Republican Party. Studies have shown that all three white Christian groupings have grown more likely to identify as Republican in recent years. In the fall survey, Pew researchers found that the slight dip in white Christians’ support didn’t correspond to a statistically significant jump in support for Biden. 

Researchers found that race strongly correlated with voting preferences during the 2016 presidential election. These preferences persisted when Christian voters were separated out into religious groups, with majorities of white evangelicals, white Catholics and white non-evangelicals voting for Trump, and majorities of Black Protestants and Latino Catholics casting their ballots for the Democratic rival, former Secretary of State Hillarious Clinton. 

Racial divisions in voting preferences within Christian groups appear to be holding steady in 2020. Within the group surveyed during Pew’s fall poll, about 90% of Black Protestants and 67% of Latino Catholics said Biden was their preferred candidate.

Over the past four years, white Christians, particularly evangelicals, have stood apart from other American religious groups because of how strongly they have supported Trump and his policies. They’ve supported his heavily Muslim-targeted travel bans, his plans to expand the wall along the U.S.-Mexico border and his handling of the coronavirus pandemic ― often at much higher rates than other American religious groupings. 

Pew’s poll was conducted during a tumultuous time in the campaign. Trump announced that he had tested positive for COVID-19 on Oct. 2, about halfway through the data collection period. With the Trump administration and the GOP-controlled Senate moving quickly to replace the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg with a conservative Supreme Court justice ― a key priority for many white conservative Christians ― there’s still time for shifts within this religious demographic.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/trump-white-christian-support-2020-election-030316650.html

GO RV, then BV

• Like 2

Trump hasn’t 'saved Christianity' and Christians shouldn’t save his presidency

Trump has claimed that he is the protector of American Christians, but his incivility has tainted the nation.

Michael Wear
Opinion contributor

President Donald Trump’s campaign is making a closing argument that he has “saved Christianity,” a blasphemous claim that in reality is aimed at getting people of faith to save him.

The truth is, Donald Trump can’t win without the overwhelming support of Christians —support he does not deserve.

Trump’s desperation is showing. Just days ago, Trump tweeted “Biden is against Oil, Guns and Religion.”

This is a ridiculous statement and it says everything about his approach to religion. His primary argument to Christians has never been that he’ll do anything positive for them, but that they must support him out of fear of the other side. Like much of his presidency, his approach to Christians weakens rather than strengthens them. And he shows exactly how much he values faith when he lumps it alongside petroleum and firearms.

No, Trump did not save Christianity 

In addition to Trump’s latest tweet, his son, Eric Trump, went so far as to make the insulting claim that his father has “literally saved Christianity.” For Christians, of course, the position of Savior is already filled, and Jesus is one person Trump can’t fire or bully.

Yet, Trump supporters arguing that Christians must support him often want us to believe Joe Biden is responsible for every statement ever uttered by anyone on the political left, while they fail to hold Trump accountable for his own actions.

Trump has evaded accountability for long enough.

Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden on Oct. 12, 2020, in New Castle, Delaware.

The effects of Donald Trump’s vulgarity, incivility, and cruelty have not stayed confined to politics, but have affected our culture, our families and our churches. While the toxicity of our politics won’t be completely excised once Trump has left the White House, we can’t even hope for healthier politics while he’s still president.

It is Biden who has run a campaign that has promised to decrease the antagonism in our politics, not Trump. It is Biden who has committed to pursuing racial justice from the basis of our shared humanity, as opposed to Trump’s consistent use of race as a tool to tear the American people apart. It is Biden who insists political opponents can be good people, and that those who have a different perspective must still be valued members of the American family.

It's OK for Christians to vote for Biden

In 2016, I wrote that it was both a political error and substantively wrong for the Democratic nominee to support repealing the Hyde Amendment, and my position on that issue has not changed.

On the issue of religious freedom, I find myself isolated from both political parties in that I believe religious freedom can’t be dismissed even when it’s inconvenient to other political goals, and I also believe it’s for people of all faiths and none at all.

If Biden wins this election, and I believe he should, there will be real disagreements that will need to be worked out through the political process. Those of us who support Biden in this election must stand ready to advocate on those issues where we disagree with him. This is the work of politics.

The optimistic view: what could happen if Biden wins big

I do not believe, as a theological matter that, it is inherently a sin to vote for Donald Trump. I do not believe voting for Joe Biden is a sin either. There is too much of that kind of religious manipulation in our politics. There are faithful Christians who will support Donald Trump, and faithful Christians who will support Joe Biden. I disagree with the former, as a prudential matter, but I can understand why they might do so. Should he win, Biden has promised to be their president, too.

But when Donald Trump asks Christians to save him at the polls once again, I know I will join millions of other Christians with a different answer: not this time, Mr. President. Not our vote. Not our faith.

You can’t have it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/10/13/trump-and-christianity-no-he-did-not-save-christianity-column/5962278002/

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

Actually Dems are friends to ALL religions....as per the U.S. Constitution.  It's Trump and the GOP that wants to ban Muslims, a religious class protected under, again....the U.S. Constitution.

GO RV, then BV

Apparently the days of you using Christians for your political agenda aren't over yet. 

So Democrats are "FRIENDS" to all religions :huh: That's why every Democratic Governor still prevents Christians from attending service.  

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

Apparently the days of you using Christians for your political agenda aren't over yet. 

So Democrats are "FRIENDS" to all religions :huh: That's why every Democratic Governor still prevents Christians from attending service.  

Are you talking about Covid-19 restrictions?...or something else?

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

Is it just Christians you're talking about....or are the other religions in those states restricted from indoor services as well?

GO RV, then BV

The only other religion prevented from service is Jews.  However, the Mosque here in Wichita had no restrictions. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

So tell me, how is 100 people going to Walmart any different than 50 people attending mass?

And to your question....hopefully the wardrobes are different.  :blink:  Don't get me wrong, I'm all for casual church attire....but dang, wally world folks take it to a new level.

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

this so called Christian group is not Christian at all and will undoubted all burn in hell. You cannot be a dem and a Christian at the same time. You cannot believe in abortion and be a Christian...PERIOD.

The 3 democommiecrats can flame away. I am right. You are wrong!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 4

On 10/15/2020 at 4:45 PM, markb57 said:

this so called Christian group is not Christian at all and will undoubted all burn in hell. You cannot be a dem and a Christian at the same time. You cannot believe in abortion and be a Christian...PERIOD.

Yes you are 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, markb57 said:

Totally agree.  Many who call themselves Christians are social justice followers and not Bible followers.  They are not Spirit-filled.  Jesus will say to them "I never knew you."  The great separation has begun.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Ah YES the oldHuff Post. I know I put ALL the credence in the world in that bird cage liner.

Technology is a wonderful thing these days. It can be used for good and for nefarious reasons. This video seems to be using it for the enlightenment of the masses, which IMO is a good thing. A good portion of this happened under the Obummer/Biden reign. Enjoy. And if you have time you can watch the whole movie.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Shabibilicious said:

GO RV, then BV

The religion is protected not the Jihad that comes with it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

On 10/15/2020 at 4:07 PM, Shabibilicious said:

And to your question....hopefully the wardrobes are different.  :blink:  Don't get me wrong, I'm all for casual church attire....but dang, wally world folks take it to a new level.

GO RV, then BV

Nice banter. I enjoy your comebacks. Keep it up Buddy! Essayon!

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1