Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

5.1 Earthquake Rocks Western North Carolina

Smokey Mtn. Dinar

ASHEVILLE, N.C. (WLOS) — News 13 is following breaking news of an earthquake on Sunday morning, August 9. According to the USGS, a significant earthquake took place near Sparta, North Carolina around 8:07 am.

This is near the North Carolina/Virginia border and approximately 95 miles northeast of Asheville.

Chief Meteorologist Jason Boyer said it registered (preliminary) as a 5.1 on the Richter Scale, one of the stronger to occur in this region in decades.

THIRD EARTHQUAKE RECORDED NEAR HENDERSONVILLE IN UNDER A WEEK

WLOS - clip

Volume 90%

WLOS

Reports of feeling the earthquake are coming in from all across Western North Carolina, and as far south as Atlanta, Georgia and Columbia, South Carolina. Property damage is likely, closer to the epicenter.

Boyer says a magnitude 5-6 earthquake happens every 200-300 years, so this will be one for the record books.

On Sunday, the USGS reported that the most recent 5.1 earthquake reported in the region was a 5.1 magnitude in 1916. However, some previous records may show otherwise. In 1926, a 5.2 magnitude earthquake was recorded in Mitchell County, according to Dr. Kenneth B. Taylor, a state geologist.

ARE EARTHQUAKES IN THE MOUNTAINS REALLY BECOMING MORE FREQUENT?

https://wlos.com/news/local/earthquake-shakes-western-north-carolina  

Edited by Smokey Mtn. Dinar
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hubby and I did not feel the quake, but it is probably what woke us up. It woke my daughter, and she said she did feel it. The dog barking was what us up. The dog was probably barking because of the quake.  

I read another report that said there were "fore shocks" at about 2 AM this morning registering over 2 on the Richter scale.  The main quake was also felt all the way to Ohio!  

I also read that it is possible that this could be a fore shock, and that a bigger quake could come.  But they are hoping this is all there will be.

Paul Goodloe on the Weather Channel said earlier that we could chalk another unusual event up to 2020!  

Edited by Smokey Mtn. Dinar
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, new york kevin said:

A 5 pointer, that will mix your coffee and cream for you . Was it a roller (up and down) or shaker (side to side)?

I would say it was a shaker. It was probably 100 miles or so from me. But it was felt all the way to Atlanta, to the south, and Ohio to the north. Like I said, I was asleep and it woke me up. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Smokey Mtn. Dinar said:

I would say it was a shaker. It was probably 100 miles or so from me. But it was felt all the way to Atlanta, to the south, and Ohio to the north. Like I said, I was asleep and it woke me up. 

I remember one shaker that was a 4.8 or something. I was waiting at a stop light, in my new Civic, music blaring on Air1, when I felt it. Of course I was asking myself whats going on . I just got this ride 5 months ago and the engine is idling rougher than that Hyundai Accent I had for 14 months . Arrgh,  guess I will have to bring it in to the dealer. Then I heard about the quake when I got home 5 mins later. No real damage usually, unless you are at the epicentre.  Both can cause damage when they are close to or above 5 points . You guys were lucky . I am glad you and others are just a little shaken, and safe now . They should check dams, public and private, ponds and lakes , just to be safe.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I got really scared when in 1976 I got to feel an earthquake shake  whose origin was about 250 miles away from my hometown.....

I was 19

It turned out it was one of the worst ever occurred in Italy......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_Friuli_earthquake

Edited by umbertino
  • Upvote 2