Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Crypto Currencies Start Learning

Pitcher

6 hours ago, Floridian said:

This has got to mean either XRP project complete, and it's a go.........or it's not so hot and we're going to try venture capital now.

Guess what I think?

Those last two Vids were interesting but if being in Dinars has taught me anything it has taught me to trust no one’s information and always stay grounded.  I made my bet now we wait in XRP.  Expect anything.  Haha

I think they are ready to go but we shall see.  Ripple will exploit what they built with Ripple X.  I’ll be keeping an eye open for S-1 filing for a possible IPO.  

Hearing that Coinbase is going Public was big news. I’ve been tracking the progress in Graystone for about a year. I’m not very keen on ETF’s, Trusts, Funds, etc.  I prefer to do the research and build my own portfolio.  For those that are interested Graystone Trust for Bitcoin, Symbol is GBTC. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Pitcher said:

Those last two Vids were interesting but if being in Dinars has taught me anything it has taught me to trust no one’s information and always stay grounded.  I made my bet now we wait in XRP.  Expect anything.  Haha

I think they are ready to go but we shall see.  Ripple will exploit what they built with Ripple X.  I’ll be keeping an eye open for S-1 filing for a possible IPO.  

Hearing that Coinbase is going Public was big news. I’ve been tracking the progress in Graystone for about a year. I’m not very keen on ETF’s, Trusts, Funds, etc.  I prefer to do the research and build my own portfolio.  For those that are interested Graystone Trust for Bitcoin, Symbol is GBTC. 

Yes, I can't wait til Coinbase goes public.  Maybe their site won't go down so much if the SEC is watching.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I haven’t had any problems with Coinbase but I don’t use them too much. I use Kraken a lot more. No problems there either.  

I have a friend who is a Twitter warrior who sent me a tweet that Trump is to announce the return to the Gold Standard 4th -7th Sept, or Labor Day Weekend.   It’s a rumor so treat as such.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

New Research unveils how pump and dump schemes work in crypto industry

New Research unveils how pump and dump schemes work in crypto industry
Photo by TETrebbien on Unsplash

Photo by TETrebbien on Unsplash

A new research paper from the University of Technology in Syndey found that pump and dump schemes are rife in the crypto markets, having recorded at least 355 market manipulations in the seven months. Up to 23 million people participated in the schemes.

These pump and dump schemes, however, are almost nothing like the ones that have plagued the stock market for decades—everyone in the crypto market seems blatantly aware of what they’re doing.

A peculiar form of pump and dump schemes formed in the crypto industry

While it’s undeniable that the cryptocurrency market has become too big to be ignored both by governments and large institutions, some of its aspects are still a thorn in the eye of many regulators.

The most common type of market manipulation seen in the cryptocurrency space are pump and dump schemes. Most commonly associated with the traditional stock market, pump and dump schemes are a manipulation technique in which traders take long positions in securities and then artificially inflate or pump their price before unloading their positions at inflated prices.

In their paper titled “A new wolf in town: Pump and dump manipulation in cryptocurrency markets,” Anirudh Dhawan and Talis J. Putniņš found that the manipulations seen in the crypto industry differ from those seen in the stock market in one crucial factor—the awareness of its participants.

According to the paper, the most important difference is that in cryptocurrency pumps and dumps, the manipulators make no pretense of having private information about a specific token being undervalued. In a conventional pump and dump scheme, manipulators try to convince investors to buy stock by spreading either false or hugely inflated positive news about the stock in a bid to get investors to buy.

Instead, cryptocurrency pump and dump schemes are openly discussed in Telegram or Discord groups, and “pump signals” on any given coin are publicly declared.

“Cryptocurrency manipulators typically do not seek to trick people into believing that a coin is mispriced on the basis of fundamentals—they explicitly communicate to the pump group members that a coin is being pumped, as opposed to representing a great investment opportunity.”

While this might not sound uncommon to the more experienced traders, it’s a relatively novel feature in financial markets. It also raises two very interesting questions the researchers tried to answer in the research:

First, why does anyone participate in these pumps, and second, how are manipulators able to profit if they aren’t fooling any of the other participants?

A risky game for overconfident traders and gamblers

As pumps provide negative expected returns for anyone after than the manipulator, the research concluded that rational individuals don’t participate in pump and dump schemes.

There are, however, two specific types of traders that participate in such schemes.

According to the paper, the first type are overconfident traders that overestimate their ability to sell their tokens at the highest price. The second are gambles.

Overconfident individuals that believe they are more skilled than the average crypto trader usually expect to enter and exit pumps faster than everyone else. This is such a widespread occurrence in the market that, when considering enough parameters, it is possible to calculate the expected payoff of a pump for an overconfident individual. Another interesting finding is that overconfident traders tend to prefer less liquid coins when engaging in pump and dump schemes.

Unlike overconfident traders, the second major group that participates in pumps and dumps doesn’t see this type of market manipulation as a one-time payoff opportunity. Gamblers tend to have a preference for “lottery-like” assets—they don’t participate in a single pump and dump, but in a series of schemes that collectively constitute a game.

The mechanics of a pump and dump scheme

To uncover cases of market manipulation in the crypto market, the researchers dug deep into chat history data from Telegram pump and dump channels to find cases where the administrator pre-specified a date, time, and exchange for the pump. After cross-referencing that with pump data from Binance and Yobit, the researchers identified 355 pumps that occurred in the period between December 2017 and June 2018.

In the seven months, there were 1,307 cryptocurrencies traded on the two exchanges. However, as the researchers were only able to gather all of the necessary data for 197 coins, they concluded that around 15 percent of all coins experienced at least one pump and dump manipulation during that time. In reality, this number could be closer to 30 percent.

Nonetheless, the numbers show that pump and dump manipulation is widespread and frequent.

Volumes traded during these pump and dump episodes are also economically meaningful—the report found that around $350 million was traded during the 355 pumps in the paper’s sample.

An example of an almost perfectly executed pump and dump scheme was ChatCoin (CHAT). The pump, according to the research, was run on the ‘Big Pump Sigal’ (BPS) group on Telegram. With its 63,000 members, the group is filled with manipulators orchestrating pumps and traders eager to turn a profit.

The administrators of the group announced the exchange, data, and time at which the pump will occur, but not the actual coin that will be pumped. Announcements like this allowed the participants of the pump to prepare for the trade by transferring funds to the exchange and be online and waiting for the so-called “pump signal.”

Messages sent by the administrators of the ‘Big Pump Signal” Telegram group Messages sent by the administrators of the ‘Big Pump Signal” Telegram group. (Source: “A new wolf in town: Pump and dump manipulation in cryptocurrency markets,” Anirudh Dhawan and Talis J. Putniņš)

The signal, in this case, was the announcement of the coin being pumped. Signals are usually published through images, as shown in the screengrab above, to prevent the messages from being automatically flagged.

The price movement for ChatCoin before and after the pump signal backed up the claim that pumps usually targeted low-liquidity cryptocurrencies. While the graph below doesn’t go farther than 15 minutes before the sign, CHAT’s price was on the low end of the spectrum and relatively stable for days at around $0.06. The pump signal, given at 20:00 GMT on Jun. 10, 2018, caused CHAT to go parabolic and peak at just over $0.09 around 17 seconds after the pump signal.

Graph illustrating the price movement for ChatCoin before, during, and after the BPS pump Graph illustrating the price movement for ChatCoin before, during, and after the BPS pump. (Source: “A new wolf in town: Pump and dump manipulation in cryptocurrency markets,” Anirudh Dhawan and Talis J. Putniņš)

The importance of market manipulation research

While taking up the resources to conduct research as extensive as this might seem futile to some, the current market conditions just highlight its importance. Anirudh Dhawan, one of the authors of the paper, told CryptoSlate that studying these schemes is vital because they harm the reputation and integrity of the entire crypto market:

“Institutions are likely to stay away from these markets, and regulators are likely to use this manipulation activity as a reason to block moves to expand the markets—as the SEC did in the case of Bitcoin ETFs.

Aside from that, these kinds of schemes provide a useful dataset to examine market manipulation. Dhawan told us that you don’t typically see market manipulation happen in the open, as is the case with crypto pumps and dumps, making them a rare opportunity to study a relatively frequent phenomenon in the financial markets.

“Our aims with this research project were to bring such kinds of manipulation schemes to light and examine why people participate in these schemes in the first place,” he said.

The research could act as a useful base both for companies in the crypto industry and government entities looking to regulate them. Currently, a lack of both regulation and its enforcement allows this type of manipulation to persist and flourish. Such widespread manipulation ultimately leads to a loss of confidence in the crypto market, which, in turn, impedes its growth.

The only thing left to do is find the right balance between and enforce regulations that facilitate a safe and healthy market without suffocating it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Sweden Is Testing Its New Central Bank Digital Currency

CBDCs are starting to gain some momentum

Feb 20, 2020

https://cointelegraph.com/news/sweden-is-testing-its-new-central-bank-digital-currency

China Will Use Its Digital Currency To Compete With The USD

Roger Huang Contributor

May 25, 2020,11:36am EDT

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rogerhuang/2020/05/25/china-will-use-its-digital-currency-to-compete-with-the-usd/#35a0599231e8

Edited by umbertino
  • Thanks 3

Here are a couple of XRP charts.   Next target .37

529BBE27-CCA5-4AF7-8E61-17E58C5997A6.thumb.jpeg.265adc4f3c345b8946f1725498d4a3be.jpeg

If you want to get a longer term look at a Coin or Stock look at the Weekly or Monthy.  This chart is a monthly chart. Looks like the beginning of a nice run to me.  That’s an EMA 9. 

F61BC36E-CDEF-4D09-995C-CE5085803C3F.thumb.jpeg.285e3431ea4e7f9d5c831914673e2ad4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Mostly about XRP.  This fellow was a big shot at Morgan Stanley.  Now he makes his money in Crypto Currency.  He sounds like a Bubba but he knows his stuff. BTW, Ive been told I speak like a true Bubba Texan.  Haha. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

7 Explosive Cryptocurrencies to Buy After the Bitcoin Halvening

Cryptocurrencies could be due for big gains in 2020, and these altcoins will likely lead the rally

By Luke Lango, InvestorPlace Markets Analyst Jun 25, 2020, 2:10 pm EDT

Best Bitcoin Debit Cards (2020)

4th August 2020 by Dean

The Top 5 Trends Defining Crypto in Late 2020

What are some trends in the crypto and blockchain space that may take hold and remain ongoing throughout the rest of 2020?

• Thanks 1

With All Eyes On Bitcoin, Another Crypto Is Up 500% In The Last Year—And It’s Still Soaring

Billy Bambrough Contributor

Aug 10, 2020,06:48am EDT

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billybambrough/2020/08/10/with-all-eyes-on-bitcoin-another-crypto-is-up-500-in-the-last-year-and-its-still-soaring/#1119564a2e6a

• Thanks 1

Controversial Bitcoin Model Places Exact Date on When BTC Will Shatter $100,000

Blockchain Bites: Hashrates Drop, Bitcoiners Hodl and an Open Letter to Bankers

Aug 18, 2020 at 16:13 UTC

Daniel Kuhn

https://www.coindesk.com/blockchain-bites-bitcoin-exchanges

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

The One Thing That Could Destroy Bitcoin Is Happening Today

There have been dozens of obituaries for Bitcoin over the asset’s short history. Despite constantly being proclaimed dead or projected to fall to zero, in theory, it cannot be stopped or killed.

However, the one thing that could actually destroy Bitcoin, is actually happening today. Although today’s event may not be powerful enough to put an end to the cryptocurrency, it does show demonstrate how realistic the scenario may be.

Is Bitcoin Really Unkillable?

Bitcoin was designed to be decentralized and fully autonomous, supported by a network of miners incentivized by that same network to keep it in operation. In theory, it cannot be stopped so long as the internet exists.

Even if an apocalypse that takes out the internet, Bitcoin may still be possible. This was potentially proven when BTC transactions were successfully sent over HAM radio last year.

Related Reading | Space Holds The Key to The Bitcoin (BTC) Moon Mission: Flipping Gold

The world is currently experiencing a pandemic, where people are forced to rely significantly more on digital solutions to everyday problems. Political and social unrest, coupled with unprecedented impact on mental health due to quarantine conditions, has erupted into protest and violence.

The only scenario that could make matters worse, would be if all forms of communication were disrupted. This bleak picture is something that Deutsche Bank recently warned would be the one black swan that could be more crushing than the current outbreak.

Solar Flare Taking Place Today Is Example Of Scenario Capable of Destroying Cryptocurrency

The only energy source powerful enough to completely knock out all forms of internet, radio communication, and infrastructure, would be the sun.

This scenario is exactly what Deutsche Bank says would make the pandemic look like a walk in the park. It is also about the only thing that can actually destroy Bitcoin.

What’s more frightening, however, is the fact that such an event is happening today.

bitcoin solar flare

That’s right – the one thing that could kill Bitcoin is taking place on Earth today, just as the sun sends a powerful solar storm hurdling our way.

NASA, NWS, and NOAA warn that this event of space weather could disrupt electrical generation systems, radio signals, satellite communications, and more.

Related Reading | Bloomberg Hilariously Lists Bitcoin As a Space Stock

This particular storm isn’t likely worthy of destroying the cryptocurrency for good, but these events are far more common than one would believe.

The last extreme electromagnetic blast from the sun took place in 1859. Wikipedia says if a storm of a similar magnitude hit the Earth today, it would cause “widespread electrical disruptions, blackouts, and damage due to extended outages of the electrical grid.” A solar flare of that size could be the one thing that puts an end to the crypto asset for good.

But within such destruction, there often lies beauty. Those who live in the mid-latitude area of the US, UK, and elsewhere may be able to view an electromagnetic aurora over the night sky.

If you can see that beauty, take it as a reminder of just how real such an end of days scenario for Bitcoin really is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

If you hold a Coin and you think it will be a monster it is tough when you read articles like the one below.  I can assure you that you will see more of these type of articles as XRP continues to climb.  It’s part of the game.  There are big boys who are playing XRP up and down and do everything in their power to get you to dump, as well as buy when they are pumping it.  Know the game, know what you own and don’t get shaken out by BS half truth articles.  

The key word in the headline is “Could”

https://cryptonews.com/exclusives/could-stablecoins-kill-off-ripple-7449.htm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If you hold a Coin and you think it will be a monster it is tough when you read articles like the one below.  I can assure you that you will see more of these type of articles as XRP continues to climb.  It’s part of the game.  There are big boys who are playing XRP up and down and do everything in their power to get you to dump, as well as buy when they are pumping it.  Know the game, know what you own and don’t get shaken out by BS half truth articles.  

https://cryptonews.com/exclusives/could-stablecoins-kill-off-ripple-7449.htm

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes Dave, Cryptos do go down just like stocks.  Anyone can buy but do you know when to exit.  Here is a hint, it is a whole lot tougher making up a loss.  Most trading Books will tell you not to let a trade lose more than 3% of your portfolio.  My normal exit discipline is the breach of the EMA 9 going down.  There are other considerations but that is a general starting point.  XRP crossed down the E9 a few days ago but I didn’t sell.  I’m not too worried until we break .20. We’ll see what happens.

Dave Portnoy Lost 1.6% of His Crypto Investment, Then Liquidated His Bitcoin

• Dave Portnoy famously entered the Bitcoin and crypto market last week with the help of the Winklevoss Twins.
  • He originally bought $250,000 worth of digital assets, $50,000 into Chainlink and the rest into Bitcoin.
  • The video of him buying this cryptocurrency went crypto-viral as many acknowledged the significance of his entrance into the industry.
  • While he was initially up on his investment, he liquidated his Bitcoin and altcoins on Friday.
  • Portnoy claimed that he didn’t like losing money, though he later clarified that the loss was relatively small.

What Pushed Dave Portnoy to Sell His Bitcoin? A 1.6% Loss, Apparently

On Friday, Dave Portnoy, the founder of Barstool Sports and a celebrity Bitcoin and stock day trader, revealed that he was exiting the crypto market. He wrote in a tweet that went viral in the crypto space:

“I currently own zero bitcoins. I will wait and watch. I lost 25k. Just like with the stock market it took my brain time to figure it out. I know this. The Link Marines are weak and the orchid flowers do die in the crypto world. I may or may not be done.”

He added in a separate message that he is getting “killed” with Bitcoin, adding that he was up $150,000 at one point but is now down.

Portnoy clarified a day later that he actually lost $20,000 from his initial $1,250,000 investment, which amounts to a mere 1.6%. Many in the cryptocurrency space referenced the number, noting how Portnoy wasn’t ready for the fast and volatile Bitcoin market.

According to the investor, though, losses of any kind of magnitude are unacceptable as stocks “only go up.”

“Yes. You crypto morons don’t get it. I’m trying to educate you. You make great memes and I respect the simple way you live your lives. But losing of any kind is unacceptable. Six figure days or bust.”

Will Portnoy Be Missing Out on Anything?

Portnoy exiting his positions in Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies raises the question if he will be missing out on anything, any potential upside.

According to a number of analysts, he will be missing out on exponential upside in the BTC price.

Dan Tapiero — the co-founder of DTAP Capital and Gold Bullion International — recently noted that Bitcoin could gain 400 to 900 percent this bull cycle:

“Tremendous long term Log Chart of #Bitcoin projects up 5-10x on this run. Just breaking up NOW. Should last a few years as 2.5yr consolidation is fantastic base for catapult up. Break of old highs will have explosive follow through. Time to sit and be patient.”

Raoul Pal echoed this. The Wall Street veteran commented that BTC is likely to be the best-performing asset over the next two years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Crypto Nears Full Month Of Extreme Greed As Famous Buffett Letter Resurfaces

Bitcoin’s price is back above $11,800 after a sharp fall last week into the weekend. However, even a $1,000 rejection wasn’t enough to shake the market out of its extended state of greed.

According to a sentiment measuring index, the cryptocurrency market has reached its longest stretch of extreme greed ever. The record was set, just as a famous Warren Buffett letter from 2000 resurfaced, meant to act as a reminder to be fearful when others are greedy.

Bitcoin Rally, Altcoin Resurgence, Brings Crypto Market To Extreme Greed

If you’ve spent any amount of time in investing or trading at all, chances are you have come across a famous Warren Buffett quote whether you realize it or not.

The “Oracle of Omaha” as he’s called, is known to be one of the greatest investors ever to live. Buffett also followed a rather simple philosophy: buy assets with long-term value.

RELATED READING | BITCOIN BLASTS BACK ABOVE $12,000, SETS NEW HIGH FOR 2020

He also was an advocate of contrarian investing, and among his most famous quotes advises investors to “be fearful when others are greedy” and to be “greedy when others are fearful.”

The quote suggests that when markets are exuberant with recent gains, it could be a signal a correction will follow. And its always when things get the scariest in markets when assets begin to reverse and recover.

Sentiment is tricky to gauge. Much of it is gut instinct, but if bullish comments dominate bearish ones by a large margin, that information could be telling. To assist crypto traders with a better understanding of where market sentiment is, a “Fear & Greed Index” was developed.

crypto market fear and greed index bitcoin

Wise Words From Warren Buffett On How Greed Is Blinding

This tool, after the recent Bitcoin rally and altcoin season, has reached its longest stretch of extreme greed ever at a full month. And it could be a sign that its time to be fearful, as Buffett advises.

In the past, the tool, pictured below, has reached a higher point. But even during that previous extended phase of extreme greed, it wasn’t concurrent, with moments of falling back into more modest levels of greed. There were also moments when greed spiked higher, however.

crypto market fear and greed index bitcoin

This nearly one full month of extreme greed in the crypto market comes after the total market cap is up over 90% year to date. It also has arrived alongside a revival of another famous Buffett quote,

“The line separating investment and speculation, which is never bright and clear, becomes blurred still further when most market participants have recently enjoyed triumphs,” Buffett wrote in a shareholder letter from 2000. “Nothing sedates rationality like large doses of effortless money.”

total crypto market cap cryptocap

Along with the crypto market being up over 90% year to date, the market has grown over 230% from the Black Thursday low. Billions of dollars have been added during this time, just waiting for investors to begin taking profitand securing the paper gains that they are greedily salivating over.

When that profit-taking begins, and after such a large rally, things could head back into extreme levels of fear rather quickly. And just like a sign that extreme greed was the moment to be fearful when things get scary again, it may be time to buy.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Buy when the index is in fear mode.  There is a lot of excitement in the Crypto Markets so be careful when you buy.  

Crypto Fear & Greed Index

Each day, we analyze emotions and sentiments from different sources and crunch them into one simple number: The Fear & Greed Index for Bitcoin and other large cryptocurrencies.

Bitcoin Fear & Greed Index

Next Update

The next update will happen in:

8 hours, 11 minutes, 26 seconds.

Crypto Fear & Greed Index Over Time

This is a plot of the Fear & Greed Index over time, where a value of 0 means "Extreme Fear" while a value of 100 represents "Extreme Greed".

7 days 1 month 3 month 1 year max

Why Measure Fear and Greed?

The crypto market behaviour is very emotional. People tend to get greedy when the market is rising which results in FOMO (Fear of missing out). Also, people often sell their coins in irrational reaction of seeing red numbers. With our Fear and Greed Index, we try to save you from your own emotional overreations. There are two simple assumptions:

• Extreme fear can be a sign that investors are too worried. That could be a buying opportunity.
  • When Investors are getting too greedy, that means the market is due for a correction.

Therefore, we analyze the current sentiment of the Bitcoin market and crunch the numbers into a simple meter from 0 to 100. Zero means "Extreme Fear", while 100 means "Extreme Greed". See below for further information on our data sources.

Data Sources

We are gathering data from the five following sources. Each data point is valued the same as the day before in order to visualize a meaningful progress in sentiment change of the crypto market.

First of all, the current index is for bitcoin only (we offer separate indices for large alt coins soon), because a big part of it is the volatility of the coin price.

But let’s list all the different factors we’re including in the current index:

Volatility (25 %)

We’re measuring the current volatility and max. drawdowns of bitcoin and compare it with the corresponding average values of the last 30 days and 90 days. We argue that an unusual rise in volatility is a sign of a fearful market.

Market Momentum/Volume (25%)

Also, we’re measuring the current volume and market momentum (again in comparison with the last 30/90 day average values) and put those two values together. Generally, when we see high buying volumes in a positive market on a daily basis, we conclude that the market acts overly greedy / too bullish.

Social Media (15%)

While our reddit sentiment analysis is still not in the live index (we’re still experimenting some market-related key words in the text processing algorithm), our twitter analysis is running. There, we gather and count posts on various hashtags for each coin (publicly, we show only those for Bitcoin) and check how fast and how many interactions they receive in certain time frames). A unusual high interaction rate results in a grown public interest in the coin and in our eyes, corresponds to a greedy market behaviour.

Surveys (15%) currently paused

Together with strawpoll.com (disclaimer: we own this site, too), quite a large public polling platform, we’re conducting weekly crypto polls and ask people how they see the market. Usually, we’re seeing 2,000 - 3,000 votes on each poll, so we do get a picture of the sentiment of a group of crypto investors. We don’t give those results too much attention, but it was quite useful in the beginning of our studies. You can see some recent results here.

Dominance (10%)

The dominance of a coin resembles the market cap share of the whole crypto market. Especially for Bitcoin, we think that a rise in Bitcoin dominance is caused by a fear of (and thus a reduction of) too speculative alt-coin investments, since Bitcoin is becoming more and more the safe haven of crypto. On the other side, when Bitcoin dominance shrinks, people are getting more greedy by investing in more risky alt-coins, dreaming of their chance in next big bull run. Anyhow, analyzing the dominance for a coin other than Bitcoin, you could argue the other way round, since more interest in an alt-coin may conclude a bullish/greedy behaviour for that specific coin.

Trends (10%)

We pull Google Trends data for various Bitcoin related search queries and crunch those numbers, especially the change of search volumes as well as recommended other currently popular searches. For example, if you check Google Trends for "Bitcoin", you can’t get much information from the search volume. But currently, you can see that there is currently a +1,550% rise of the query „bitcoin price manipulation“ in the box of related search queries (as of 05/29/2018). This is clearly a sign of fear in the market, and we use that for our index.

Fear and Greed Index API

API: https://api.alternative.me/

Endpoint: /fng/

Method: GET

Description: Get the latest data of the Fear and Greed Index.

Optional Parameters: 
  • limit, [int]: Limit the number of returned results. The default value is '1', use '0' for all available data. Please note that the field "time_until_update" will only be returned for the latest value ( in other words: when the value '1' is used).
  • format, [string]: Choose to either receive the data part formatted as regular JSON or formatted as CSV for easy pasting in spreadsheets, use either 'json' or 'csv' respectively. The default is 'json'.
  • date_format, [string]: Choose to either receive the date part formatted for the United States (MM/DD/YYYY), for China and Korea (YYYY/MM/DD) or for the rest of the world (DD/MM/YYYY). Use 'us', 'cn', 'kr' or 'world' respectively. The default is an empty string which will return the date in unixtime, unless format is set to 'csv'. When "format" is set to 'csv' the default "date_format" is 'world'.

For more endpoints of the API, visit our free crypto API documentation page.
Problems with the fear and greed API? Just drop us a mail at support@alternative.me
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1