Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Just a warning!

As a rule people in the NE and Upper Midwest experience less sunlight during the winter months.....(shorter days, heavier coats)......Sunlight is known to be healthy.....along the northern borders of America people are generally healthier in the summer months......just how it is.....

Spain is a warmer climate and they have been hit pretty hard....

They have initiated a study that should shed more "light" on this.....(sorry....just couldn't help myself)......for any interested who wish to look..

CLtt

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04334005

ps://www.coronaviruwww.nih.gov/coronavi

Save this study

Vitamin D on Prevention and Treatment of COVID-19 (COVITD-19)

warning.png The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Know the risks and potential benefits of clinical studies and talk to your health care provider before participating. Read our disclaimer for details.

ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT04334005
Recruitment Status  : Not yet recruiting
First Posted  : April 3, 2020
Last Update Posted  : April 7, 2020
Sponsor:
Universidad de Granada
Information provided by (Responsible Party):
Manuel Castillo Garzón, Universidad de Granada

Study Description

Go to  sections
Brief Summary:
The new outbreak of the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus is causing an important pandemic affecting a large number of people all-over the world. Vitamin D is a hormone precursor produced by our own body with the help of sunlight which has an important role on adaptive immunity and cellular differentiation, maturation and proliferation of several immune cells. Reduced levels of vitamin D in calves were positioned as the main cause of bovine coronavirus infection in the past. Therefore, it seems plausible that the use of vitamin D as a nutritional ergogenic aid could be a potential intervention to fight against COVID-19 infected patients which remain asymptomatic or which have non-severe and severe symptoms. This study aims to investigate whether the use of vitamin D as an immune modulator agent induces significant improvements of health status and outcomes in non-severe symptomatic patients infected with COVID-19 as well as preventing COVID-19 health deterioration. We hypothesize that vitamin D will significantly improve hard endpoints related to COVID-19 deleterious consequences compared with a usual care control group.

Condition or disease  Intervention/treatment  Phase 
Patients Infected With COVID-19 Dietary Supplement: Vitamin D Not Applicable
Study Design

Go to  sections

Study Type  : Interventional  (Clinical Trial)
Estimated Enrollment  : 200 participants
Allocation: Randomized
Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
Masking: Double (Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)
Primary Purpose: Treatment
Official Title: Effect of Vitamin D Administration on Prevention and Treatment of Mild Forms of Suspected Covid-19
Estimated Study Start Date  : April 10, 2020
Estimated Primary Completion Date  : June 30, 2020
Estimated Study Completion Date  : June 30, 2020

Resource links provided by the National Library of MedicineNIH_NLM_ABRV_BLK_4.png

MedlinePlus related topics: Vitamin D
Drug Information available for: Vitamin D
Arms and Interventions

Go to  sections

Arm  Intervention/treatment 
Active Comparator: Usual care
Prescription of NSAIDs, ACE2 inhibitor, ARB or thiazolidinediones, according to clinician criteria, based on the current recommendations.
Dietary Supplement: Vitamin D
The intervention group will receive a single dose of 25000 UI of vitamin D supplement in addition to prescription of NSAIDs, ACE2 inhibitor, ARB or thiazolidinediones, according to clinician criteria, based on the current recommendations. Vitamin D supplementation will be taken in the morning together with a toast with olive oil to facilitate its absorption.
Experimental: Intervention group
25000 UI of vitamin D supplement in addition to the above-mentioned drug recommendations.
Dietary Supplement: Vitamin D
The intervention group will receive a single dose of 25000 UI of vitamin D supplement in addition to prescription of NSAIDs, ACE2 inhibitor, ARB or thiazolidinediones, according to clinician criteria, based on the current recommendations. Vitamin D supplementation will be taken in the morning together with a toast with olive oil to facilitate its absorption.

Outcome Measures

Go to  sections

Primary Outcome Measures  :
  1. Composite of cumulative death (i.e. mortality) for all causes and for specific causes. [ Time Frame: Through study completion, an average of 10 weeks ]

Secondary Outcome Measures  :
  1. Necessity of invasive assisted ventilation [ Time Frame: Through study completion, an average of 10 weeks ]
  2. Necessity of non-invasive assisted ventilation [ Time Frame: Through study completion, an average of 10 weeks ]
  3. Intensive care unit admission [ Time Frame: Through study completion, an average of 10 weeks ]
  4. Post-anesthesia care unit admission [ Time Frame: Through study completion, an average of 10 weeks ]
  5. Hospital admission [ Time Frame: Through study completion, an average of 10 weeks ]
  6. Medical consultation [ Time Frame: Through study completion, an average of 10 weeks ]
  7. Home care and isolation time [ Time Frame: Through study completion, an average of 10 weeks ]
  8. Bed rest time [ Time Frame: Through study completion, an average of 10 weeks ]
  9. symptoms' duration (i.e. cough, fever, nasal congestion, gastrointestinal symptoms, fatigue, anosmia, ageusia, diarrhea or alternative signs of COVID-19) [ Time Frame: Through study completion, an average of 10 weeks ]
  10. Subjective perception of recovery [ Time Frame: Through study completion, an average of 10 weeks ]
    It will be measure by questionnaire
Eligibility Criteria

Go to  sections

Information from the National Library of MedicineNIH_NLM_ABRV_BLK_4.png

Choosing to participate in a study is an important personal decision. Talk with your doctor and family members or friends about deciding to join a study. To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contacts provided below. For general information, Learn About Clinical Studies.

Ages Eligible for Study:   40 Years to 70 Years   (Adult, Older Adult)
Sexes Eligible for Study:   All
Accepts Healthy Volunteers:   Yes
Criteria

Inclusion Criteria:

• Non-severe symptomatic patients who present cough, fever, nasal congestion, gastrointestinal symptoms, fatigue, anosmia, ageusia or alternative signs of respiratory infections.

Exclusion Criteria:

• Patients presenting severe respiratory and/or multisystemic symptoms compatible with advanced COVID-19 and intercurrent acute or severe chronic diseases (i.e. active cancer).
Contacts and Locations

Go to  sections

Information from the National Library of MedicineNIH_NLM_ABRV_BLK_4.png

To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.

Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT04334005

Contacts
Contact: Manuel J Castillo, MD, PhD +34 649440850 mcgarzon@ugr.es  

Locations
Spain
Universidad de Granada  
Granada, Andalucia, Spain, 18071
Medicine Faculty  
Granada, Spain, 18001
Contact: Proffesor Amaro Gahete, PhD student    697287022 ext +34    amarof@ugr.es   
Sponsors and Collaborators
Universidad de Granada
Investigators
Principal Investigator: Manuel J Castillo, MD, PhD Universidad de Granada  
More Information

Go to  sections

Responsible Party: Manuel Castillo Garzón, MD, PhD, Universidad de Granada
ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT04334005     History of Changes
Other Study ID Numbers: COVITD-19
First Posted: April 3, 2020    Key Record Dates
Last Update Posted: April 7, 2020
Last Verified: April 2020
Individual Participant Data (IPD) Sharing Statement:
Plan to Share IPD: Undecided

Studies a U.S. FDA-regulated Drug Product: No
Studies a U.S. FDA-regulated Device Product: No
Additional relevant MeSH terms:
Vitamin D
Vitamins
Micronutrients
Nutrients
Growth Substances
Physiological Effects of Drugs
Bone Density Conservation Agents

Edited by coorslite21
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, coorslite21 said:

Spain is a warmer climate and they have been hit pretty hard....

CL - Did I miss something in your post?

I did not search for other months due to time.... 

Spain Weather in January

It's cold in January in most of Spain, but what did you expect? It's winter! Time to enjoy what winter in Spain can offer you (did you know you can ski in Spain?).

https://www.tripsavvy.com/january-weather-in-spain-1644261

Madrid weather in February 

• Thanks 1

Poison Control Centers Have Been Extra Busy Since President Trump Suggested Injecting Bleach Can Cure Coronavirus

In the 18 hours after Trump’s widely condemned comments during the White House coronavirus task force briefing, the New York City Poison Control Center reported that it received nine calls about Lysol exposure, 10 calls about bleach exposure, and 11 about exposure to unnamed cleaners, according to WNBC in New York. That’s more than double the exposure calls the center received during the same period last year.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/wxevan/poison-control-centers-have-been-extra-busy-since-president-trump-suggested-injecting-bleach-can-cure-coronavirus

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 1

On 4/27/2020 at 7:23 PM, caddieman said:

Poison Control Centers Have Been Extra Busy Since President Trump Suggested Injecting Bleach Can Cure Coronavirus

In the 18 hours after Trump’s widely condemned comments during the White House coronavirus task force briefing, the New York City Poison Control Center reported that it received nine calls about Lysol exposure, 10 calls about bleach exposure, and 11 about exposure to unnamed cleaners, according to WNBC in New York. That’s more than double the exposure calls the center received during the same period last year.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/wxevan/poison-control-centers-have-been-extra-busy-since-president-trump-suggested-injecting-bleach-can-cure-coronavirus

More FAKE news.... Hey Caddieman by any chance do you know JoeB?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

48 minutes ago, caddieman said:

And Hospitals all over America have been massively overwhelmed with Covid19 patients. 

As was stated earlier, idiot's who believe that President Trump made such a statement are why we have warning statements on everything. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

Omgoodness I understood Trump to speculate maybe disinfectants could be a cure. He didn't say to use it. That's like saying use mold because it's penicillin and is a cure. We don't know what's in some of the chemicals contained inside injections. I surely don't understand what's in some of the pills OTC or vaccines, doesn't mean I'm going to run out and use them. 

How stupid are people today? Rhetorical.

• Thanks 5
  • Upvote 2

On 4/26/2020 at 1:15 PM, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

LOL. I wasn't always a Fine God fearing Catholic. In fact I was something of a scoundrel. So ya never know whose Daddy I am. 🤣🤣🤣😎😎😎

my squad mates asked me after liberty one weekend, what the hell were you and the parrot doing last night.

i could not remember then 20 years later i met the parrot again and she told me that i was a father!

i got a pick of her and my son! 

punk kid.jpg

Edited by Muleslayer
  • Haha 3