Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Calling all Sport Car Enthusiasts

Pitcher

I'm a big fan of the vettes, but if I were getting something other than a vintage muscle from my younger crazier days, I would lean toward a new Shelby Mustang. Fast as lightning and handles great. Also the new Challengers are fast and fun. Just a couple of more ideas Pitcher.😎

Edited by md11fr8dawg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks md11, definitely interested in the Shelby Mustang.  

Thanks for all all the input folks.  It’s a nice diversion from the news. I’m definitely going to be looking as soon as this CV stuff is over.

RV or not I’m going to be purchasing something.  

• Upvote 1

Ford unveils a 170mph ELECTRIC Mustang Cobra Jet 1400 dragster

When you think of dragsters as well as gob-smacking acceleration and speed you also think of apoplectic engine roar and flames being thrown in all directions from high-octane machines. 

But not this one. That's because it has a silent electric powertrain and zero emissions.

It's a one-off creation by Ford called the Mustang Cobra Jet 1400. It's no slouch - capable of hitting a top speed of 170mph and completing a quarter-mile sprint in a mere eight seconds. And no, it doesn't need a 400-metre-long extension cable to do it.

Silent speedster; This is Ford's new Mustang dragster that can hit 170mph - and it's powered entirely be electric

Silent speedster; This is Ford's new Mustang dragster that can hit 170mph - and it's powered entirely be electric

Ford released images of its first factory-developed EV dragster prototype this week, confirming the Cobra 1400 produces a massive - you guessed it - 1,400 horsepower. 

It comes ahead of the showroom arrival of the American firm's all-electric Mustang Mach-E SUV, which is due to be priced from £40,270 in the UK.

The entry-spec family wagon promises a 'target range' of 280 miles from its 76kWh battery and puts out 254bhp. The pricier extended-range version is a £9,730 premium, which pays for a 99kWh battery pack for a 370-mile quoted range and a power output of 281bhp - that's a fifth of the deranged - but super green - Jet 1400 dragster.

Ford unveils incredible all-electric mustang cobra jet 1400

Generating the incredible performance figures of this highly-tuned EV is a single - but relatively massive - electric motor mounted up front being juiced by batteries. 

However, how many batteries and the capacity is currently being kept under wraps.

As is the range of the battery pack, which for all we know could only be good for one or two sprints before the drag racer needs to be plugged into the mains. 

It puts out a massive 1,500Nm of torque which, being electric, is pretty much entirely available instantaneously at the dab of a throttle pedal. 

When you think of dragsters - like this one pictured at Santa Pad Raceway in Podington, Bedfordshire  - you think of apoplectic engine roar and flames being thrown in all directions from high-octane machines

When you think of dragsters - like this one pictured at Santa Pad Raceway in Podington, Bedfordshire  - you think of apoplectic engine roar and flames being thrown in all directions from high-octane machines

The Mustang Cobra 1400 is quite different to your traditional dragster: This extreme electric vehicle was created to pay homage to Ford's original factory-developed drag-racer but with zero emissions

The Mustang Cobra 1400 is quite different to your traditional dragster: This extreme electric vehicle was created to pay homage to Ford's original factory-developed drag-racer but with zero emissions

It comes ahead of the arrival of the American firm's all-electric Mustang Mach-E family SUV (pictured), which is due to be priced from £40,270 in the UK

It comes ahead of the arrival of the American firm's all-electric Mustang Mach-E family SUV (pictured), which is due to be priced from £40,270 in the UK

The all-electric Ford Mustang Mach-E ad starring Idris Elba

That means - like all dragsters - it's likely to be an absolute handful to drive, especially trying to launch it and trying to generate grip for a quarter-mile charge. 

Fortunately, Ford has kitted it out with a full roll-cage, uprated suspension and huge brakes to make sure it goes and stops with the utmost safety (by dragster standards, anyway).

As you would expect of a vehicle of this type, the rear tyres are as wide as a shopping trolley and it gets a wheelie-bar to stop it flipping into the air when the pilot floors it off the line.

There are also extra provisions in place for the end of each quarter-mile dash, as it comes with a built-in parachute system to help it slow down and the dinner-plate size brake discs just aren't doing the job quickly enough.

The US car maker has fitted the ferociously-fast dragster with a wheelie-bar to stop it flipping on launch

The US car maker has fitted the ferociously-fast dragster with a wheelie-bar to stop it flipping on launch

It also has a parachute to slow it at after a quarter-mile sprint in under 8 seconds

It also has a parachute to slow it at after a quarter-mile sprint in under 8 seconds

The car has been designed to pay homage to Ford's original factory-developed drag racer, which was the 1968 Mustang 428 Cobra Jet powered by a carbureted 7-litre V8 engine.

That only produced a comparatively poultry 400bhp - just a fraction of what this souped-up volt-jacked 2020 creation has in its armoury.

Commenting on the electric dragster, Dave Pericak, global director for Ford Icons, said: 'Ford has always used motorsport to demonstrate innovation. 

'Electric powertrains give us a completely new kind of performance and the all-electric Cobra Jet 1400 is one example of pushing new technology to the absolute limit. 

'We're excited to showcase what's possible in an exciting year when we also have the all-electric Mustang Mach-E joining the Mustang family.'

Is electric drag racing likely to take off? We have our reservations about US fans going wild for a transition from flame-throwing 'top-fuel' dragsters to 'does anyone have a charger for a new Ford?' machines. Though we might be proven wrong..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I’m going to show you a pic of my first car.  I bought it the day I turned 16 and got my drivers license.  I passed my test around 11 am and had my car by 3pm. I paid 246.00 for it.  I thought it was the coolest car ever.  It had a 383 hemi and could beat most other cars in a race. It also had a big back seat which was a must. ( to haul my baseball buddies to practice.  Haha).  After about a year I had an opportunity to buy a 66 GTO.  I sold my Chrysler 300 for 550, added 200.00 and bought that awesome car.  For the time it was a very fast car.  When the Mopars started showing up it was hard to compete.  Those 440’s in the Roadrunners, and GTX’s were tough to beat.  I finally quit street racing when one of my good friends died in a horrific crash while racing his Mustang one night.  

If you you want to show us a pic of your first car and share any stories I would dig it.    Below is a pic of my first car, a 1963 Chrysler 300  I couldn’t find any pics so I grabbed this one from the net.  Mine was a hardtop but it was bright red just like this one. It was incredible that you could buy a nice looking car for 246.00 in those times. My car had no dings, dents or paint fade.  It did have high mileage and that’s why I got it so cheap.  That didn’t bother me at all because the first thing I did was rebuild the engine.  This 63 Chrysler 300 is for sale for 47k.  Wow, I need that DeLorean to go back to the future to save my old car.  haha.  

73B1E33C-8C6D-437E-BD22-B2BB32491903.jpeg.3f36dc80bfd5c691ece1d6c58e25e42d.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Looks like we had something in common Pitcher. My 1st ride was a Dodge Polara compliments of my Aunt, it also had a 383, wasn't a hemi but it was no slouch. I beat it to death though and I parted it out when the automatic transmission blew up but not until I converted it to a standard and got a few more miles out of it. 

The day before I pulled the engine out we cut off the exhaust and a group of friends went out cruising around. One of my friends hung out the window looking under the car and there were flames shooting out the headers about 3 or 4 ft. Ahhh, those were the days!

1965_Dodge_Polara_white_convertible_md-f

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pitcher said:

Great memories 64jaguar.   We did the same thing to one of my friends cars. Geez we were crazy.  Is that a 66 Polara.  Haven’t seen one of those in 50 years.  

I actually pulled that off the internet as well, I don't remember what year mine was, I'm just going by what I remember. I didn't have a rag top either.  It was a 65 or 66 I think. Was a freebie so I didn't have much say in the deal...My next car was a TR-4A...another piece of crap but a lot of fun...

• Thanks 1

Here is a internet pic of my high school car.

4:11Posi Trac, auto trans with 2,500 stall converter pop tops mags.

was very sad the day my father sent it to the shredder and made me watch.

45 years later Insurance is almost reasonably priced!

68 Hurst/Olds!

68olds.JPG

Edited by Muleslayer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Muleslayer said:

Here is a internet pic of my high school car.

4:11Posi Trac, auto trans with 2,500 stall converter pop tops mags.

was very sad the day my father sent it to the shredder and made me watch.

45 years later Insurance is almost reasonably priced!

68 Hurst/Olds!

68olds.JPG

Sweet ride!

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1