Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Calling all Sport Car Enthusiasts

Pitcher

Ok guys and gals, I need your help.  I never thought I would ever want to buy another sports car in my life.  I’m old but not dead.  I still have some craziness left in me.  I have decided I want to consider buying a sports car.  Not to race or get totally crazy but to bring out on nice days for a little drive about.  I’ve got my nice truck, my wife has her super nice SUV and I want a nice ride.  Something under 100k, kind of an old man, gentleman’s nice riding sports car.  I don’t care if it’s new or preowned, custom, or rare.  Any ideas.  In my younger days I owned a 68 Camero, a 66 Gto, and 2 Vettes, 63 and 67.  I thought about getting an older muscle car but I’m thinking a newer Jag, BMW, Corvette.  Hit me, give me some ideas or thoughts.  No suped up wheelchair jokes.  Haha. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Pitcher said:

Something under 100k, kind of an old man, gentleman’s nice riding sports car.

How about a Lexus LS 460 F Sport?

386 w/8 speed trans. Handles real nice and is a screamer and has a great 92 rating. Very low maintenance needed.

I like the seat better than the LS 500 F due to the head restraint. It pushes my head too far forward.

2015 Lexus LS460 Reviews and Rating | MotorTrend

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the responses guys.  I have owned a Lexus GS model and thought about the LC, it is an awesome looking car.  Karsten your car looks great and I went to go test drive a new Vette but they didn’t have one available.  I’ve never heard of the LS 460 F.  Looks like I need to go to the Lexus dealship and do some test driving. 

I’m not in a hurry.  I plan on test driving a number of cars and I may even go to a Barrett Jackson auction when this CV runs its course.

I appreciate your ideas on the cars and your other posts on the DV site.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

You could never go wrong with America's true sports car. '69 convertible with the 427 for your big block. It should have a six pack set up on it too. I have an uncle that had one and sold it years ago. He has been kicking himself in the butt ever since. As an older teenager at the time, I was mad too. I have owned several myself and will be looking for one again soon myself. Probably a '73. I am partial to the C3 style, mainly 73-77.

1969-Chevrolet-Corvette-american-classics--Car-101257391-b879c608afc2e01c45d699e9fd629792.jpg.ec3780fbe1b4724d92bcec734d953d00.jpg

Was your '63 a split window or convertible? I have another uncle with a split window. Car is all original 73k miles. Has a 327 with the power glide transmission, factory air and knock off wheels. It's a nice car. I know he will not part with any of his nice cars. He has several Vettes himself.

Oh, @Karsten, Nice Vette!

Edited by 8th ID
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 4

Pitcher,

Now this one I had to chime in with an opinion as you have been gracious enough to share your knowledge with us.

I read all your post in an effort to expand my knowledge but sadly I can only grasp about 20% of what you describe.

I'm working on that...

I love the sea but but have always been an, "Adrenalin Junkee" so both worlds are in my life.

I was a "Motor Head" as well growing up but after raising kids and now playing with grand kids the idea of wrenching again does nothing for me.

BUT, I still love to drive and the only maintenance is oil changes and a lot of tires from some very spirited driving!

The wife bless her heart came home one day and said, "I'm done with the SUV's, I want a car"!

She chose a Camaro SS and loves it.

I chose a 2015 Corvette ZO6 with the ZO7 package and couldn't be happier.

I hated the Corvette line until they came out with this version.

To make them handle, they rode like a board, to give them the correct amount of horse power comes with a lot of maintenance issues and the interiors were uncomfortable, squeaky and cheesy.

Every model year was always a disappointment in some facet, until this one.

It was the second model year so the kinks were worked out and the last year the settings for the safety computer controls (Nannie Override Settings) could be turned OFF.

They deleted that ability in 2016 as to many unqualified drivers were dying.

Note: On unfamiliar roads, I definitely use the Nannie settings to varying degrees. Why not!

While many performance vehicles have there issues, 99.9% of them are from abusive drivers who shouldn't be in that type of vehicle. I've had no problems.

Everyone has their own taste but whatever you choose I say, "GO FOR IT"!

Take care and hello to all my friends at DV.

Grow_up_not_old_Pitcher.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

On 4/23/2020 at 8:47 AM, 8th ID said:

Was your '63 a split window or convertible? I

It was a convertible, 327.  I had to sell it because I was getting too many speeding tickets.  😂 

i like the 69 but if I were to buy an older vette it would be the 67.  I really like what I’ve be reading about the newly designed mid engine vettes.  

On 4/23/2020 at 9:28 AM, CaptainBVI said:

I was a "Motor Head" as well growing up but after raising kids and now playing with grand kids the idea of wrenching again does nothing for me

Nice looking autos Captain.  Appreciate your thoughts and love the pics. Your wife has great taste in cars.  

• Thanks 3

D type Jaguar, Probably out of your price range...

proxy-image?piurl=https%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2Fthumb%2F0%2F07%2F1955_Jaguar_XKD_34_left.jpg%2F320px-1955_Jaguar_XKD_34_left.jpg&sp=1587764629T036d789e4c09f4c9ea69d496d56df892b2e7f2ad76d3c08bf0c94d79d63fad7b

They did make a Road going version.. also probably out of your price range. Steve McQueen famously had one that he once sold and then bought it back..

proxy-image?piurl=https%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2Fthumb%2Fd%2Fd2%2F1957_Jaguar_XK-SS.jpg%2F320px-1957_Jaguar_XK-SS.jpg&sp=1587764951T61db176ba108a43c9667e3457764b791283a64ee66a78f0a44c51baf42517458

But the Jaguar F type Might be an option. Personally I'd go with the V-8 and the root beer float holder..

proxy-image?piurl=https%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2Fthumb%2F7%2F71%2F2017_Jaguar_F-Type_Convertible_V8_R_AWD_Automatic_5.0_Front.jpg%2F320px-2017_Jaguar_F-Type_Convertible_V8_R_AWD_Automatic_5.0_Front.jpg&sp=1587764797T258bacbddf5237b2866ae6996886c063164001eff443bc6f45a9fabc50097d2b

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pitcher said:

It was a convertible, 327.  I had to sell it because I was getting too many speeding tickets.  😂 

i like the 69 but if I were to buy an older vette it would be the 67.  I really like what I’ve be reading about the newly designed mid engine vettes.  

Nice looking autos Captain.  Appreciate your thoughts and love the pics. Your wife has great taste in cars.  

The '67 would be on my list too if it was a convertible. The new ones do look good and I know what you mean by "too many tickets" :lol: Been there and done that. It was especially bad when I came back from Europe.

• Thanks 1

My heart is telling me to get a new vette.  My brain is telling me to get something a little more practical and something I won’t kill myself in.  My problem with the old guy sport coups is they have no style. They are all cookie cutter, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, Infiniti, etc. etc.

To me they are all boring looking.  I like the electronics, performance, and interiors but just feel they could do a better job with styling, and colors,   I’m going to go on an epic test driving spree when this CV deal subsides.  I don’t know about the rest of you but I haven’t spent much money the last 6 weeks.  I’m saving a lot of money these days and I’m working 7 days a week at home.  I’m ready to bust out!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Pitcher said:

My heart is telling me to get a new vette.  My brain is telling me to get something a little more practical and something I won’t kill myself in.  My problem with the old guy sport coups is they have no style. They are all cookie cutter, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, Infiniti, etc. etc.

To me they are all boring looking.  I like the electronics, performance, and interiors but just feel they could do a better job with styling, and colors,   I’m going to go on an epic test driving spree when this CV deal subsides.  I don’t know about the rest of you but I haven’t spent much money the last 6 weeks.  I’m saving a lot of money these days and I’m working 7 days a week at home.  I’m ready to bust out!!!

I agree Pitcher... All those cars are real good cars but yeah, they're boring, I'm a classic car guy and they don't make em like that anymore. Of course they aren't for everyday. I've got a 64 E type series one and they were pure sports cars. even the new Jag XK-F type doesn't really turn me on too much. I do like the new Vette and I've not been a Corvette fan since about 1970. The mid engine will make that car a lot more competitive on the track, imo.

I've never been a guy that wants to drive what everybody else is driving. If this Dinar thing happens before I die I might have a couple more options... Good luck!

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, 64jaguar said:

I've never been a guy that wants to drive what everybody else is driving. If this Dinar thing happens before I die I might have a couple more options... Good luck!

Thanks man.  I’ve thought about having someone redo a muscle car, old on the outside all new stuff on the insides.  Also thought about going to a few Auctions to see what’s up. It’s going to be a quest no doubt.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

2020 Brabus Rocket 900

Amazing car!! My dream car after the RV. 
You purchase a new Mercedes from the plant in Germany. An employee from Brabus picks up your new car and brings it back to the Brabus plant next door and completely guts the new Benz. Engine, power train, interior, everything.  They completely rebuild it and turn it into a powerhouse of a dream car. 

You will have to look it up.   
I can’t post pictures. Lol. I think it was the hot clown pics that got me banned. 😂

Dang Thugs...😂😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1