Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Iraq extends coronavirus curfew until start of Ramadan as cases increase

Pitcher

UN says domestic violence against women is on the rise during the crisis

Iraqi civil defence workers sanitise the Tweirij district between Hilla and the southern Iraqi shrine city of Karbala against the spread of the coronavirus pandemic, on April 16, 2020. AFP Iraqi civil defence workers sanitise the Tweirij district between Hilla and the southern Iraqi shrine city of Karbala against the spread of the coronavirus pandemic, on April 16, 2020. AFP

Iraq's nationwide lockdown to contain the coronavirus outbreak is being extended until April 23, the government said on Thursday. 

Schools, universities, shopping centres and other large gathering places will remain closed, as will the country's international airports. 

The government confirmed 1,415 cases on Wednesday night, with 79 deaths and 766 recoveries.

But there are suspicions that the real numbers are much higher.

According to sources quoted in a Reuters report in early April, the true number ranges from 3,000 to 9,000.

The news agency was suspended from operating in Iraq for three months and fined 25 million Iraqi dinars, or about $20,800, after it reported the claims.

Reuters said it stood by the story, which “was based on multiple, well-placed medical and political sources, and fully represented the position of the Iraqi health ministry”.

It said it regretted the Iraqi authorities’ decision but was “seeking to resolve the matter”.

Iraqi President Barham Salih said he was working with a legal team to revoke the decision.

Mr Salih said the story had caused distress in Iraq because it implied a deliberate falsification of records by the government, which he said had not been the case.

"The WHO has also confirmed there has been absolutely no evidence of deliberate falsification of records. You cannot hide the deaths,” Mr Salih said.

Meanwhile, the United Nations urged Iraq's parliament to approve a law against domestic violence law after an increase in reports of gender-based and domestic violence.

The UN said this was partly due to an “increased household tensions as a result of the confinement due to the Covid-19 pandemic.”

Iraq's interior ministry has published phone numbers that women can call for help from security forces after reports surfaced of the rape of a woman with special needs, spousal abuse, immolation and self-immolation as well as self-inflicted injuries due to spousal abuse, sexual harassment of minors, and suicide due to domestic abuse among other crimes. 

“Such crimes raise the alarm for the urgency to endorse the Anti-Domestic Violence Law in Iraq,” the UN’s office in Iraq said in a statement on Thursday, referring to a draft law awaiting passage by legislators.

“The UN in Iraq calls upon authorities to ensure that the judicial systems continue to prosecute abusers, invest more in hotline and online services, support the role of civil society organisations, keep shelter doors open for women fleeing abuse and punish perpetrators of any gender-based violence,” it said.

https://www.thenational.ae/world/mena/iraq-extends-coronavirus-curfew-until-start-of-ramadan-as-cases-increase-1.1006950

• Thanks 2

Muslim clerics vow to hold Friday prayers in Pakistan's mosquesimage.gif.c3aaf21063ab7b47be7230461a5b1310.gif

BBCCopyright: BBC
Devotees praying inside Jamia Thanvi Mosque in KarachiImage caption: Devotees praying inside Jamia Thanvi Mosque in Karachi

Some Islamic clerics in Pakistan have said they will hold Friday prayers across the country, despite a ban on big gatherings to prevent the spread of Covid-19.

Earlier this week, a group of religious scholars said the lockdown was not applicable to mosques. They said elderly people had been advised to pray at home, and mosques would follow social distancing guidelines.

"In the present conditions, five daily prayers along with precautionary measures are essential," religious scholar Mufti Taqi Usmani saidon Tuesday.

Pakistan's ban on gatherings has been in place for the past few weeks, but a large number have still been coming out to pray.

Nearly 7,000 people have tested positive for the virus in the country, which has recorded at least 120 deaths so far.

image.gif

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

The Sudanese prime minister, Abdalla Hamdok, has sacked the governor of the capital Khartoum after he opposed a ban on religious gatherings imposed to try to curb the spread of Covid-19.

General Ahmed Abdun Hammad Mohammed refused to implement a decision to ban prayers in mosques and churches due to come into force on Saturday.

BBC world news April 17 2020

• Thanks 2

I hate to think I'm grasping at straws, buuuuut..... the article only casually mentioned the extension of the lockdown and since I don't trust the UN (who's reporting on this), I went searching for an article to verify this for myself.  I had looked yesterday and couldn't find anything after I'd read the ISX extended their closure until April 25, announcing it as follows  ( link ) :

Continued suspension of trading activity until Saturday, April 25, 2020 for the continuation of the comprehensive curfew in Iraq
04/16/2020 11:55

In compliance with the decisions of the Supreme Committee for National Safety and Health in Iraq, the
trading activity will remain suspended until Saturday, April 25, 2020 for the continuation of the comprehensive curfew in Iraq

Today, I also  couldn't find anything about the Government of Iraq extending the comprehensive curfew in Iraq.  However I did find that the Kurdistan region did ( link ) but I wouldn't call that a "comprehensive curfew in Iraq" and I'm not so sure it would necessitate the ISX remaining closed (tho what do I know).  This is the start of the article...

KRG extends curfew, reports three new COVID-19 cases

April 16-2020     07:03 PM

The Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) on Thursday announced the extension of a region-wide curfew until April 23, as health authorities reported three new coronavirus cases over the past 24 hours......

This was reported by Kurdistan24 which I assume is a 24 hour news source there.  But I find it interesting that the news about extending Kurdistan's (only part of Iraq) lockdown came at 7pm yeserday evening, but that the ISX posted their notice to remain closed due the "comprehensive curfew" at 11am yesterday morning.  But I do realize that Iraq is incredibly sloppy so it's most likely nothing.  Probably it's just me riding high on hopium this month so I'm looking for verification of an imminent RV in any little thing I can find.  And it's only wishful thinking that the ISX is in fact waiting to reopening until after the RV happens, and that it's trying to come up with excuses for the public as to why it's remaining closed.  That said, I still can't shake my hopium!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2