Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

MP says Iraqi PM-designate Zurfi will be replaced within hours -

Pitcher

MP says Iraqi PM-designate Zurfi will be replaced within hours

zurfi A Fatah Alliance Parliament Member on Sunday said a "semi-final" agreement was reached between the Shiite political blocs to replace Prime Minister-designateAdnan al-Zurfi within hours.

Theh MP said Zurfi will be replaced by an "unquestionable" alternative.

Iraqi Prime Minister-designate Adnan Zurfi presented his agenda Saturday to Parliament as government security forces clashed with protesters defying a government-imposed curfew, Voice of America reported.

More than a dozen Iraqi police reportedly were wounded when protesters in Nasiriya threw gasoline bombs at police, who were firing tear gas at them.

A long cortege of vehicles Saturday drove through the streets of the southern city, honking car horns to defy the curfew. Iraqi state TV had earlier showed security forces stopping vehicles and taking the temperatures of drivers to detect coronavirus cases.
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

Three Major Iraqi Shia Factions Agree on Alternative to Troubled PM-Designate

Three Major Iraqi Shia Factions Agree on Alternative to Troubled PM-Designate

ERBIL — The Iraqi Shia political factions of Fatah Alliance, Hikmah Movement, and State of Law Coalition have agreed to boycott an upcoming parliamentary vote on the Prime Minister-designate Adnan al-Zurfi.

A source familiar with the meeting agenda and its outcome, said Ammar al-Hakim, and Nouri al-Maliki were hosted by Hadi al-Ameri on Sunday to discuss the issue while disagreements on Zurfi’s nomination deepen among majority Shias.

Hamid Maala, a leading member of Hikmah Movement, confirmed the report and said the three Shia leaders have reached consensus over boycotting the upcoming vote at the parliament and, instead, nominate Mustafa Kadhemi, the head of Iraq’s intelligence service.

The shift in Shia factions approach to the issue came days after the commander of Iran’s Quds Force, Esmail Qaani, the successor of slain Qasem Soleimani, visited Baghdad and held meetings with main Shia factions to discuss the political deadlock pertaining to the formation of a new government in Iraq.

Kadhemi has served as the head of Iraq’s intelligence service since 2016. He is known as a moderate Shia figure who often mediates between conflicting Shia factions.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Iraq PM-Designate: I Did Not Meet Ghaani, Iranians Not Involved in Govt. Formation 

Baghdad – Hamza Mustafa Iraqi Prime Minister-designate Adnan al-Zurfi revealed Saturday that he did not meet with Iranian Revolutionary Guards Quds Force commander Esmail Ghaani during his trip to Baghdad this week.

Speaking at a press conference in Baghdad attended by Asharq Al-Awsat, Zurfi revealed that he will send the government lineup to parliament and will await the legislature to set a date to vote on it.

He rejected claims that his appointment was constitutionally flawed, vowing that he will fulfill his mission “to the end”.

“Those opposed to the government can express their position at parliament alone,” he added. “It is in our best interest to respect the sound rotation of power.”

Zurfi’s appointment has been flatly rejected by the Fateh alliance, headed by Hadi al-Ameri, who is aligned with Iran.

Zurfi questioned the rejection, adding however, that anyone has the right to do so, but within democratic boundaries. “I am banking on lawmakers from blocs that expressed their readiness to support me,” he added on whether his designation will be approved.

On whether those rejecting him are being influenced by foreign powers, namely Iran and significantly after Ghaani’s visit, Zurfi stressed that he did not meet with the Quds Force leader.

“I did not receive word from him that he really opposes my designation,” he said. “I received information from the Iranians that they do not want to interfere in the government formation process.”

On how he plans to balance the tensions played out between the United States and Iran in Iraq, he said: “My policy is based on keeping Iraq away from parties seeking to settle scores on its territory.”

He stressed that he wants to establish “balanced” ties with all sides and that he wants to achieve Iraq’s interests.

On his government program, Zurfi told reporters that it prioritizes resolving the economic crisis, meeting the demands of protesters and holding early elections, and establishing balanced relations with all foreign powers.

• Thanks 5
  • Upvote 1

Iraq gridlock: Al Zurfi prioritises the economy to secure parliamentary support

An empty market at noon, at a street leading to the Imam Ali shrine in Najaf, March 31, 2020. Reuters An empty market at noon, at a street leading to the Imam Ali shrine in Najaf, March 31, 2020. Reuters

Iraq’s prime minister designate Adnan Al Zurfi has positioned himself as the man to bring about economic salvation for the country and address the financial woes that have been exacerbated by the coronavirus outbreak.

Mr Al Zurfi submitted his manifesto to the legislature on the weekend, warning that the government may no longer be able to pay its seven million employees. “Iraq is going through a catastrophy,” Mr Al Zurfi warned.

His manifesto focuses on improving the economy and the health system to counter the impact of the coronavirus.

“The economy will be the next government’s main cause of action. Anyone with a desire to invest will be given preferential treatment,” he told reporters in Baghdad.

78402555d6404c4ca50f9e8c63f236c4-78402555d6404c4ca50f9e8c63f236c4-99532bb660e64f8fb190b0ecf2f49adf-88f16.jpg?$p=c909513&w=2048&$w=dbf56c5

Iraqis walk in an empty street in Baghdad on March 22, 2020 amid a curfew to help fight the spread of Covid-19. AP Photo

The former Najaf governor has struggled to unite Iraq’s divided parliament behind him since President Barham Saleh asked him to form a cabinet on March 16. He has support from Sunni and Kurdish blocs but needs consensus from a dominant Shiite bloc largely allied to Iran.

Mr Al Zurfi said he will submit the names of his proposed cabinet two days before the deadline for a parliamentary vote of confidence on April 15.

Iraq is one of the oil-exporting economies that’s expected to be hard hit by the fall in oil prices this year. 

Louay Al Yasiri, the current Najaf governor, said last week that he expects the city’s economy to collapse in the next fortnight as a result of declining religious tourism and the plunge in oil prices. 

Iraq’s $135 billion budget for this year was calculated based on a projected oil price of $56 per barrel. In the past month, oil prices have dropped by more than half, hitting an 18-year low last week before recouping some of the losses.

Haitham Al Juburi, a member of parliament’s finance committee, said the 2020 budget deficit, forecast at $40 billion, could more than double to $85 billion.

Administrative officials across Iraq have been criticising the central government’s response to the pandemic, which they partly blamed on political gridlock.

Demonstrations demanding a new political system forced the resignation of caretaker prime minister Adel Abdul Mahdi in November. His allies in parliament then blocked the appointment of Mohammed Allawi, another prime minister designate, in February.

In an attempt to placate Iran’s supporters in Iraq, Mr Al Zurfi last week called for the lifting of US sanctions on the Tehran government.

He said on the weekend that his “Iraq first” foreign policy would be balanced and geared toward attracting capital flows, adding that dealing with neighbouring countries would be “economy centric”.

“The prestige of the state will be restored when we have a strong economy. Other than that, this prestige is non-existent,” he said.

A member of a centrist parliamentary bloc, Mr Al Zurfi is an ally of former Iraqi prime minister Haidar Al Abadi. He fled Iraq for Saudi Arabia after Saddam Hussein crushed a Shiite uprising in 1991.

Mr Al Zurfi then moved to the US and was one of the exiles Washington brought back to Iraq to run the country after the 2003 US-led invasion that toppled Saddam Hussein. Becoming governor of Najaf, he gained a reputation as a tough administrator and security operative.

Recent weeks have brought signs of a shift in US military strategy in Iraq after tensions mounted following the assassination of Iranian General Qassem Suleimani in January by a US drone attack. 

Last week, US troops left a base in eastern Iraq - the fourth complex they have vacated this year in the country.

The American military said the “pre-planned” transfer of Al Taqaddum base to the Iraqi army was unrelated to increased attacks on US and allied troops in Iraq. Washington blames the attacks on pro-Iranian militias.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

26 minutes ago, Pitcher said:

They need to be arrested and made to pay for their freedom to get back the 50 B they stole from the Iraqi people—-then drone them!!

lookin like its time to print up a new set of Iraq most wanted cards the 3 shown above plus sadr would fit nicely as the 4 ace cards to start  things off ...... cheers :bananacamel:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Most-wanted_Iraqi_playing_cards

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 8

I don't see any scenario where Zurfi gets approved by this parliament. This is a no-compromise situation. Anyone who's not an Iranian puppet will dissolve parliament. There's no middle ground.

I do see Saleh appointing himself and proceeding with reforms. Maybe he dissolves parliament, maybe he doesn't, but either way the militias will start attacking. That's the real reason for the US troop movements and Iranian saber rattling. They're waiting on Saleh's move.

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, 3n1 said:

lookin like its time to print up a new set of Iraq most wanted cards the 3 shown above plus sadr would fit nicely as the 4 ace cards to start  things off ...... cheers :bananacamel:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Most-wanted_Iraqi_playing_cards

I got a couple of those decks stashed away!!! 👍🇺🇸...Get the new ones ready!!!

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

Beyond a few obvious observations, I can not predict what will happen....but I think it will turn out well for us.

But what I have slowly come to believe is this: Democracy for the Third World would be a nice thing, but for a variety of reasons it's not practical. I generally would like to see far less regime change. What will likely happen in Iraq, in the end, will be some sort of military coup, a suspension of any serious liberty or rights for it's people. Their Constitution will go out the window. Iraq will be back to the old Saddam model of brutal dictators. I think the American government knows this and has known this for a very long time, but for sake of politeness, won't say so.

Perhaps in a hundred or two hundred years, the Arab culture will shift and evolve on their own and they will be more humane and based on democracy, rule of law and the freedoms we enjoy. But for now I think that is a pie in the sky dream. It was a nice experiment, noble in intention. The failure in execution was on their part, not America's...Sometimes you just can't help a loser. That's a difficult thing to accept in life, but it's true. It failed, not because of anything America did....or did not do. In Germany and Japan it worked out fine. Those are higher quality people. Iraqis are simply not up to it.

And I'm fine with that. It's a failure of their culture, not ours. The only thing I am looking for is a strong and stable government. If they are brutal to their own citizens and to their enemies, that's sad but that's not my concern, that's not my moral responsibility. Americans need to lower their standards on the whole inclination to try to bring other cultures, like Arab cultures, up to American standards. That won't happen. Not in my lifetime. Not in the lifetime of anyone reading this blog. :bananacamel:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 3

21 hours ago, Pitcher said:

These 3 guys, are the 3 Stooges of Iran.  They need to be arrested for holding up Iraqi progress.  Why are these 3 allowed to continue sabotaging Iraq.  

Yep, in total agreement. It’s not nice to wish the Coronavirus on anyone but have to say I sure wouldn’t care if these particular dudes got a bad case of it. They’ve caused a lot of damage to the Iraqi citizens. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Pitcher said:

These 3 guys, are the 3 Stooges of Iran.  They need to be arrested for holding up Iraqi progress.  Why are these 3 allowed to continue sabotaging Iraq.  

they amass political and monetary power and to certain degrees public favor and become like teflon , just like we are all to familiar if ur an american especially within the last 10 years or so how it happens .... i know im preaching to the choir ....cheers Pitcher 

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

Missiles Fired In Iraq As Proxy War Heats Up

By Editorial Dept - Apr 10, 2020, 12:00 PM CDT

COVID-19 Market Update

- While JPMorgan has been trying to ditch the discount loans it holds from Gulf sovereign wealth funds (notably, Saudi Arabia’s and the UAE’s) as prices crash and demand crumbles, the UAE is gearing up for its own bond sale, hot on the heels of Qatar’s. And given the situation, investors will get a premium, if they’re willing to take the risk. Qatar was the first to recently test investor appetite for the region’s debt with a $10-billion bond sale on Tuesday. A day later, Abu Dhabi launched its own cash raise, with initial prices giving investors a premium of around 70-80 basis points over existing bonds. On Wednesday, Abu Dhabi sold $7 billion in bonds.

- Back in Saudi Arabia, all those Aramco bondholders are wondering what comes next. The $12 billion in bonds they hold recorded an 8.2% loss in March, and they are likely to remain under intense pressure in April and May.

- After soaring to great heights last week, supertanker rates fell this week as the market held its breath over the virtual OPEC meeting, avoiding new bookings until the outcome of that meeting was made clear, based largely on the assumption that there would be a scale-down of Saudi seaborne exports following an agreement. The VLCC market for the Middle East-China route saw rates slashed in half this week, from their high last week over anticipated production cuts that are not yet forthcoming.

- The US Congress rejected a plan to…

• Upvote 1