Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

The Spread of. the Corona Virus

Pitcher

France closes Louvre due to coronavirus outbreak in Europe

14524580800_6b7dfc194e_b

France's famed Louvre museum closed Sunday ascoronavirus cases mounted across Europe and beyond, with the global death toll nearing 3,000.

The virus has now infected more than 88,000 people and spread to more than 60 countries around the world, well beyond the epicentre in China where it first emerged late last year.

It has rattled global markets and prompted unprecedented measures from governments scrambling to contain the outbreak, which the World Health Organization has warned could become a pandemic. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Pitcher said:

This one has special interest to me as my oldest son is due to travel to France on a business trip.  I’ve begged him to postpone but he plans on leaving this Thurs.  

Don't worry, Pitcher....I'm sure everything will be just fine and your son will enjoy his trip.....

• Thanks 2

Arab League Summit Postponed Amid Corona Fear

1 The 31st Arab Summit planned for the end of March in Algeria may be held before the end of June, in the wake of updates related to 'coronavirus' and the different visions regarding the return of Syria’s membership to the Arab League.

Syria’s membership has been suspended since 2011 and the issue of bringing it back to the League surfaced several times, however, officials from the League affirmed that none of the members made a request in this regard.

Speaking at a joint press conference on Saturday with Algerian Foreign Minister Sabri Boukadoum, Secretary-General of the Arab League Ahmed Aboul Gheit expressed hope that the Arab summit will be held before the end of June.

Aboul Gheit attributed the matter to current global developments, especially health conditions that cause concern from meetings and gatherings.

We hope these global conditions end before the proposed date, he said. The decision will be taken in coordination with Algeria as the host country, he continued.

A reliable source told Asharq Al-Awsat newspaper that there is an Algerian wish that the summit introduces the return of Damascus to the League.

The source noted that the situation in the Arab world seems ready for this step and that the delay of the summit will serve to mobilize more support to pass this decision.

On Feb. 14, the Algerian FM called for ending themembership freezing of Syria. He stressed during a meeting with his Mauritanian counterpart Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed that not activating the membership ofSyria is a loss to all members.

Aboul Gheit commenced a two-day visit to Algeria within his preparations for the 31st summit.
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Azerbaijan closes border with Iran over coronavirus concerns

20200221_2_40970697_52382741

Azerbaijan said on Sunday it had closed its border withIran for two weeks to prevent the spread of coronavirus, after the death toll in Iran rose to 43 yesterday, the highest number outside of China.

Iran is at the epicentre of the outbreak in the Middle East, with several countries in the region reporting cases stemming from Iran.

Two Azerbaijanis have been placed in quarantine after testing positive for the coronavirus, the government said in a statement, adding that both had arrived from Iran.

It said the decision to close the border had been taken “in light of the World Health Organisation’s recommendations and the experience of other countries related to the risk of the spread of coronavirus”.

The government will start a process to bring back its citizens from Iran, as well as returning Iranian citizens living in Azerbaijan, the statement added.
Azerbaijan registered its first case of coronavirus on February 28. There are currently three people infected with the virus in Azerbaijan.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

1st case in my area....An 83 yr. old woman....She went to the hospital for a strong cough and was diagnosed with pneumonia...Now the new medical protocols all over the country prescribe that if you have pneumonia you got to take the tampon test...She turned out to be positive...Now they're trying to ascertain her chain of contacts....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

California reported its first death from the coronavirus on Wednesday: an elderly patient in Placer County, near Sacramento, who had underlying health problems. Ten others in the US have died from the virus, all in Washington state.

"Jennifer and I extend our deepest condolences to the family and loved ones affected by this death in Placer County," Gov. Gavin Newsom said in a statement. "The state is working with federal officials to follow up on contact tracing of individuals that may have been exposed to provide treatment and protect public health."

The patient had recently returned from a cruise on the Grand Princess, a Princess Cruises ship that departed from San Francisco and went to Mexico.

Princess Cruises also owns the Diamond Princess, which hosted one of the largest outbreaks of the new coronavirus outside China. Passengers on that ship were quarantined for two weeks in February after a man tested positive for the coronavirus six days after departing the vessel. More than 700 people on board wound up infected, and six people have died.

The California patient who died on Wednesday traveled on the Grand Princess from February 11 to 21. The Placer County Health Department said other passengers on the cruise may have been exposed to the virus. The department added that it is working closely with the Sacramento County Health Department and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to identify and contact those passengers.

Princess Cruises said the ship would turn around at sea since the CDC is investigating a "small cluster" of coronavirus cases in Northern California related to the previous voyage. At least one other confirmed coronavirus patient — a person in Sonoma County — was also on the Grand Princess cruise at the same time as the Placer County patient who died.

Passengers who remained on board after the last voyage were told to stay in their rooms until they're cleared by medical staff. In the meantime, they're allowed to order room service.

The ship is set to arrive in San Francisco on Thursday afternoon.

A Princess Cruise ship.
A Princess Cruise ship.

Princess Cruises

The California patient who died had minimal contact with others in the Sacramento community after returning from the cruise, health officials said. The person was admitted to the Kaiser Permanente hospital in Roseville last Thursday after arriving by ambulance.

"While we have expected more cases, this death is an unfortunate milestone in our efforts to fight this disease, and one that we never wanted to see," Placer County Public Health Officer Aimee Sisson said in a statement.

The Placer County Health Department said at least 10 Kaiser Permanente healthcare workers and five emergency responders had contact with the patient before the person was isolated; they're being quarantined but haven't shown symptoms of the virus.

Because the patient was elderly, they were at a higher risk of developing a severe case of the virus. A recent study from the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention found that about 15% of people older than 80 who had the virus died.

The US has reported nearly 150 coronavirus cases, some of which are mild. All the people who have died in the US were elderly or had preexisting health problems.

"If you are healthy and not at higher risk, please look out for friends and loved ones who would be considered more vulnerable and offer support," Sisson said. "We are working with our state and federal partners to limit the impacts of this disease to our community, but we need the public's help as well."

Read the original article on Business Insider

B/A

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Roundtable: Coronavirus Is Best Case for Medicare for All

March 05, 2020

How much will getting coronavirus cost you?

The cost of testing and treatment might keep some from seeing a doctor

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, umbertino said:

How much will getting coronavirus cost you?

The cost of testing and treatment might keep some from seeing a doctor

Baloney. Go into any emergency room, complain of a fever and flu like symptoms and you get wisked into the back, isolated and tested. Can't pay, county pays for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Coronavirus: quarter of Italy's population put in quarantine as virus reaches Washington DC

PM Giuseppe Conte signs decree early on Sunday after 1,200 cases confirmed in 24 hours

Helen Davidson, Lorenzo Tondo , Verna Yu and agencies

Sun 8 Mar 2020 07.47 GMT

3500.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=e239eef98edf5db5307914630e13e6a6
Military personnel and police are seen inside Milan’s main train station as Italian authorities prepare to lock down Lombardy to prevent the spread of coronavirus
Photograph: Alex Fraser/Reuters

19 minutes ago, umbertino said:

Coronavirus: quarter of Italy's population put in quarantine as virus reaches Washington DC

PM Giuseppe Conte signs decree early on Sunday after 1,200 cases confirmed in 24 hours

Helen Davidson, Lorenzo Tondo , Verna Yu and agencies

Sun 8 Mar 2020 07.47 GMT

3500.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=e239eef98edf5db5307914630e13e6a6
Military personnel and police are seen inside Milan’s main train station as Italian authorities prepare to lock down Lombardy to prevent the spread of coronavirus
Photograph: Alex Fraser/Reuters

Umbertino, I hope you and your family are doing well. What is the consensus from your perspective on the developments in Italy?  how are you doing?

it isn't the virus that concerns me as much as the wide spread panic which can dictate how we will stay healthy. Forced quarantines and manditory drug and vaccines which may or may not be in each person's best interest.

i

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, adhoc10 said:

Umbertino, I hope you and your family are doing well. What is the consensus from your perspective on the developments in Italy?  how are you doing?

it isn't the virus that concerns me as much as the wide spread panic which can dictate how we will stay healthy. Forced quarantines and manditory drug and vaccines which may or may not be in each person's best interest.

Thanks adhoc...Yes I'm doing well and my hometown has only been slightly affected ( so far)...

In my Country, also due to Authorities sudden changes and u-turns , People have alternated states of panic to more relaxed moments...In general it would seem the health system is showing to be somehow capable of dealing with this thing....But the ICU wings of hospitals here in the North got overflowed and the other ICU patients ( unrelated to CV)  had to be moved to other hospitals

Now Gov't appears to have taken a decisive direction in insisting on isolating the so-called " red areas" mainly in Lombardy and Veneto regions ( also in a minor key, Emilia-Romagna) , Lombardy being the most struck of all,  but some  local politicians are complaining due to the almost total halt of businesses and trade....Kindergartens, schools and universities  are closed in all of the Country until March 15, but there's a possibility this lockdown could be extended depending on future developments...

Anyway People ( who are being asked / ordered somehow to change their habits) seem to slowly get used to it even though it ain't easy....

Scientists and doctors  say that the CV peak has not been reached  yet...So we all hope that in 2 weeks from now we'll start seeing a decrease or else new measures ( and prolonging of the already taken measures) shall be adopted

• Thanks 2

On 3/3/2020 at 1:56 AM, umbertino said:

1st case in my area....An 83 yr. old woman....She went to the hospital for a strong cough and was diagnosed with pneumonia...Now the new medical protocols all over the country prescribe that if you have pneumonia you got to take the tampon test...She turned out to be positive...Now they're trying to ascertain her chain of contacts....

Could be the start of a downward spiral. Antibiotics are normally prescribed for pneumonia, which will affect the strength of the immune system, increasing the odds for getting sicker. Probiotics are absolutely necessary after a round of antibiotics., i would also take along with the antibiotics as a safer route,  

my doctor gave me this advice last time I had to go that route. Prayer also helps

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, adhoc10 said:

Could be the start of a downward spiral. Antibiotics are normally prescribed for pneumonia, which will affect the strength of the immune system, increasing the odds for getting sicker. Probiotics are absolutely necessary after a round of antibiotics., i would also take along with the antibiotics as a safer route,  

my doctor gave me this advice last time I had to go that route. Prayer also helps

You're absolutely correct, adhoc....Here  virologists and MD's  say  if you have the beginning of a cough and/or cold and fever ...Do not go to hospitals emergency but instead just call your family doc  or call the 112 ( our  general emergency number) or 1500 which is the number expressedly set up for CV...Do not take anti-biotics  or fever-downersbefore taking any of those actions.....

Now the big bad problem which is arising here is that when Folks in Lombardy and other Northern struck areas heard about the Nothern areas lockdown ( as reported in the above article)....Many who happen to be of Southern regions origin (Puglia, Calabria, Sicily, Campania, Abruzzo etc) decided yesterday and also this morning quick and fast to leave the North and head South to their towns and villages ( where up to now, CV spread is minimal)  not understanding that's a total craziness and extremely irresponsible.....The Southern regions Governors, seeing that, have now decided to quarantine all individuals coming from Northern  crucial areas...IF they want to avoid being quarantined, then Southern Governors  strongly invited  all those People to u-turn and go back North..Which is the thing to do.

Edited by umbertino
  • Thanks 2

Leaked coronavirus plan to quarantine 16m sparks chaos in Italy

Coronavirus: live updates

Thousands tried to flee south after decree to confine people until 3 April was revealed

Angela Giuffrida in Rome and Lorenzo Tondo in Palermo

Sun 8 Mar 2020 15.54 GMT

3072.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=676a80db806508350f5a9e44f824a6a2
Italian carabinieri block a road in Casalpusterlengo, northern Italy
Photograph: Matteo Corner/EPA

More pics

• Thanks 1

Health authorities check all passengers travelling from northern Italy – video

Italian health authorities were checking passengers getting off buses and trains from northern Italy and arriving in Salerno and Naples on Saturday. Other countries could soon follow Italy's drastic containment measures as coronavirus threatens to continue its spread across Europe........

Source: AP

Sun 8 Mar 2020 20.26 GMT Last modified on Mon 9 Mar 2020 08.10 GMT

Italy lockdown: PM outlines new measures to prevent spread of coronavirus – video

Giuseppe Conte announced a range of tough new measures in the early hours of Sunday to try to contain Italy's coronavirus outbreak, including the virtual lockdown of the country's wealthiest and most populous region. The new rules include.........

Source: Reuters/Giuseppe Conte Facebook

Sun 8 Mar 2020 12.28 GMT

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2020/mar/08/italy-lockdown-pm-outlines-new-measures-to-prevent-spread-of-coronavirus-video

Less than 1 hour ago PM Conte announced on TV further measures as today was really bad in terms on new contaminated and also deaths....All of Italy , with all its regions is under lockdown...People will be able to move ONLY for work, health reasons and for necessities....All kindergartens, schools, Universities, originally sheduled to re-open on March 16 now will remain closed until April 3 ( so far).....Exceptional measures for a exceptional situation.....

Look like it's getting seriously ugly around here...We're the 2nd country in the world for number of dead after China......

Coronavirus live updates: all of Italy to be placed under lockdown conditions

Edited by umbertino
  • Thanks 2