Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Urgent .. Parliament session postponed half an hour due to lack of quorum

As much as I want this blessing to be in my bank, Trump needs to blow the place up and start over. The Iraqis sure don’t know how to do it themselves.  
I’m trying to stay positive.  It’s getting difficult. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

7 hours ago, GregHi said:

I’m not sure if Iraq is on the list of country’s that are thought to be manipulating their currency, but from what I read, April 6th is the date that Sanctions on those Countries could start..

We manipulated Iraq's currency value to remove value away from the currency. As I recall, the value was over $3.00 when we and the UN de-valued it.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 5

Iraq coronavirus outbreak throws fresh fuel on protests

000_1PH4C0-640x400

Iraqi protesters had been rallying against government incompetence, poor public services and foreign political meddling for months. Then the novel coronavirus hit and fueled their grievances.

“The real virus is Iraqi politicians,” said Fatima, an 18-year-old protester and medical student from Baghdad. “We are immune to almost everything else.”

Across squares in the capital and southern protest hot spots, the anti-government demonstrators who have mobilized since October have started to take public health into their own hands.

They have distributed leaflets and delivered lectures oncoronavirus prevention, while volunteers have handed out free medical masks, which have more than doubled in price in local markets.

Makeshift clinics, which were erected months ago to treat demonstrators hit by live fire and tear gas canisters, are now dispensing gloves and sanitizer.

Volunteers in bio-hazard suits take the temperature of protesters lined up in queues.

“Even in normal times our health care system is totally run down,” said Fatima, a volunteer in central Baghdad’s Tahrir Square, the epicenter of the protests.

“Now, on top of everything, we have a coronavirus outbreak, and we are supposed to rely on these facilities?”

Inside medical centers, bloodstained sinks in washrooms and ill-equipped amenities have become a common sight.

Hasan Khallati, a member of the parliament’s health committee, insisted to AFP that Iraq’s “hospitals and healthcare facilities are fully equipped to deal with the outbreak” of COVID-19.

But available data tells a different story. According to the World Health Organization, Iraq has fewer than 10 doctors for every 10,000 residents.

Outbreak next-door

Iraq reported its first coronavirus case last week in an Iranian national studying at a religious seminary in the southern shrine city of Najaf.

The total number of diagnosed infections has since jumped to 19 — all traced to the Islamic republic, just across the border.

Iran has recorded 66 deaths among over 1,000 cases, the largest death toll outside China, the epidemic’s epicenter.

This has sparked public panic in Iraq, one of Iran’s largest export markets and a popular destination for Iranian pilgrims visiting Najaf and Karbala, another holy city.

Many Iraqis also cross the frontier for business, tourism, medical treatment and religious studies.

Responding to the outbreak, Iraqi authorities closed land borders with Iran and banned the entry of foreign nationals traveling from there and other badly affected countries.

In the protest camps, anti-Iranian sentiment is on the rise, having surged in recent months among demonstrators who accuse Tehran of meddling in Iraq’s internal affairs.

This has been compounded by accusations that Iranian officials are covering up the severity of the outbreak within their borders.

Iraqi officials, protesters charge, are doing the same.

“We think there are cases the government has not yet declared,” medical student Russol said at a protest camp in the southern city of Diwaniya. “They need to be transparent with the people.”

‘Snipers didn’t deter us’

With schools, universities, cinemas, cafes and other public places ordered shut until March 7, turnout atprotests had been expected to fall, especially after thegovernment said it would restrict large gatherings over virus fears.

Populist cleric Moqtada Sadr, regarded as an engine of the protest movement before he withdrew his support in late January, told his loyalists they were prohibited from demonstrating because of the epidemic.

But students who make up the bulk of the anti-government movement have taken advantage of suspended classes to return to the streets.

On Sunday, they flowed into protest camps in Baghdad and Diwaniya to press for a government overhaul two months after outgoing premier Adel Abdel Mahdi resigned under popular pressure.

The same day, prime minister-designate Mohammad Allawi bowed out, plunging Iraq deeper into political uncertainty.

The protesters said they had faced much deadlier threats than the novel coronavirus, which has yet to lead to fatalities in Iraq.

“Your snipers didn’t deter us, what can coronavirus do?” protesters chanted.

Security forces have used tear gas, rubber bullets, stun grenades, live rounds and even machine-gun fire to disperse protests.

Since October 1, around 550 people have been killed and 30,000 others injured, mostly protesters.

Last week alone, four protesters were shot dead in protest camps and one activist was killed in his home.

“Political parties and corruption are an epidemic that is much more dangerous than the coronavirus,” said Mohammad, a university student in Diwaniya.

“This is the outbreak we want to get rid of because it has destroyed Iraq.”

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 6

4 minutes ago, Pitcher said:

Political parties and corruption are an epidemic that is much more dangerous than the coronavirus,” said Mohammad, a university student in Diwaniya.

“This is the outbreak we want to get rid of because it has destroyed Iraq.”

right on Mohammad .... im thinking the protestors are the only ones in Iraq with any common sense , real shame since Iran is struggling under sanctions they will not bow out of iraqs goi and business , iranians need to get  back to their own country changing their wacked out leaders and get people that serve their own interest not turn iraq into iran 2 point 0 , just my opinion .... hoping for the best for the iraqi citizens welp i feel a little better now :rake:

.... cheers 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

PRESIDENT SALIH CALLS ON IRAQ’S POLITICAL PARTIES TO SELECT NEW PRIME MINISTER CANDIDATE

Following collapse of Allawi’s government formation attempt
Iraqi President Barham Salih (File)

10 Hours ago http://nrttv.com/En/News.aspx?id=19860&MapID=2#NRTnews

SULAIMANI — President Barham Salih started reaching out to Iraq’s political parties on Monday (March 2) in order to select a new prime ministerial candidate after Mohammed Tawfiq Allawi’s attempt to form a government collapsed on Sunday.

In a statement, Salih thanked Allawi for his efforts and called on legislators to “work hard to reach a national agreement on an alternative prime minister, in order to form a capable government to address its tasks In light of the challenges that are facing Iraq.”

“The security, political, and economic crisis and health challenges facing Iraq, the [Middle East] region, and the world make it important to expedite the resolution of the interim government in order to protect the security and safety of citizens and move towards achieving the reform project,” the statement added.

Allawi withdrew his candidacy hours after the Council of Representatives failed for the second time in a week to approve his cabinet. Political objections from significant portions of all three ethno-sectarian blocs made it impossible for the Parliament to secure quorum, much less vote to approve his proposed cabinet.

In stepping aside, Allawi accused the political parties of obstructing him, deepening the domestic political crisis, and threatening an unprecedented power vacuum.

“I tried by all possible means to save Iraq from drifting into the unknown and to solve the current crisis, but during negotiations I faced many matters,” he said,

Over the past five months, Iraq has seen massive anti-government protests in Baghdad and the southern provinces, which forced out Adil Abdul Mahdi as prime minister, although he had lingered on in a caretaker capacity.

More than 500 mostly young and working class demonstrators have been killed during the protests and more than 17,000 others wounded in a sustained crackdown by the security forces and third party militias. Nevertheless, the protesters have been able to maintain some momentum, while the parties continue to grapple for direction in the legislature.

To mark the five month anniversary of the start of the protests and to express their rejection of Allawi, who protesters rejected because he had twice been a minister in previous governments, thousands of protesters filled Baghdad's Tahrir Square, the main protest site in the capital, and other important sites across cities in the south.

(NRT Digital Media)

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, 6ly410 said:

PRESIDENT SALIH CALLS ON IRAQ’S POLITICAL PARTIES TO SELECT NEW PRIME MINISTER CANDIDATE

Following collapse of Allawi’s government formation attempt
Iraqi President Barham Salih (File)

10 Hours ago http://nrttv.com/En/News.aspx?id=19860&MapID=2#NRTnews

SULAIMANI — President Barham Salih started reaching out to Iraq’s political parties on Monday (March 2) in order to select a new prime ministerial candidate after Mohammed Tawfiq Allawi’s attempt to form a government collapsed on Sunday.

In a statement, Salih thanked Allawi for his efforts and called on legislators to “work hard to reach a national agreement on an alternative prime minister, in order to form a capable government to address its tasks In light of the challenges that are facing Iraq.”

“The security, political, and economic crisis and health challenges facing Iraq, the [Middle East] region, and the world make it important to expedite the resolution of the interim government in order to protect the security and safety of citizens and move towards achieving the reform project,” the statement added.

Allawi withdrew his candidacy hours after the Council of Representatives failed for the second time in a week to approve his cabinet. Political objections from significant portions of all three ethno-sectarian blocs made it impossible for the Parliament to secure quorum, much less vote to approve his proposed cabinet.

In stepping aside, Allawi accused the political parties of obstructing him, deepening the domestic political crisis, and threatening an unprecedented power vacuum.

“I tried by all possible means to save Iraq from drifting into the unknown and to solve the current crisis, but during negotiations I faced many matters,” he said,

Over the past five months, Iraq has seen massive anti-government protests in Baghdad and the southern provinces, which forced out Adil Abdul Mahdi as prime minister, although he had lingered on in a caretaker capacity.

More than 500 mostly young and working class demonstrators have been killed during the protests and more than 17,000 others wounded in a sustained crackdown by the security forces and third party militias. Nevertheless, the protesters have been able to maintain some momentum, while the parties continue to grapple for direction in the legislature.

To mark the five month anniversary of the start of the protests and to express their rejection of Allawi, who protesters rejected because he had twice been a minister in previous governments, thousands of protesters filled Baghdad's Tahrir Square, the main protest site in the capital, and other important sites across cities in the south.

(NRT Digital Media)

He's not selecting someone himself?

He's either trolling the parties or trolling Iraqi citizens. Either way he can't be serious.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, TexasMike1958 said:

What is your reasoning behind this???  Do you have sources over there???

The only “source” I have is my friend that is from Najaf and my Erbil friend and they both don’t have any real “inside” Intel like a date or rate that we all seek.. my reasoning is simple.. since I first bought my first Dinar in 2004, I have never seen a better time for this to happen than right now. Too many reason why it should to list but I am looking at within around 30 days and can’t wait.. we will see.. don’t lose hope my friend. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 4