Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Urgent .. Parliament session postponed half an hour due to lack of quorum

Iraqi Parliament Fails to Vote on New Cabinet Again

BasNews  01/03/2020 - 18:14  Published in Iraq
Iraqi Parliament Fails to Vote on New Cabinet Again

ERBIL - The Iraqi Council of Representatives once again on Sunday failed to vote on PM-designate Mohammed Allawi's interim cabinet due to lack of quorum.

The session which has so far been delayed more than twice, was set for Sunday evening with Kurds and Sunnis staying determined to boycott it unless Allawi reconsiders its decisions on the two sides' share from the future government.

It was first scheduled for last Thursday before it was delayed until Saturday. However, Allawi called for another extension to the deadline and urged the lawmakers to vote on his cabinet on Sunday afternoon.

According to the information BasNews has learned, only 108 out of 329 lawmakers attended Sunday's session, it was therefore postponed until Monday.

http://www.basnews.com/index.php/en/news/iraq/585585

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Sunday, 01 March 2020 06:14 PM

Alliance of Powers: We have lost confidence in the Prime Minister-designate and his government

Member of the Alliance of Forces, Abdullah Al-Kharbit, affirmed that his alliance did not trust Prime Minister-designate Muhammad Tawfiq Allawi, noting: "The Alliance of Forces will not impose his will on certain political blocs in Parliament."

Al-Kharbait said in a press statement: "The alliance of forces with the holding of early elections, but Allawi refused to set a date for the elections during his meeting with Parliament Speaker Mohammed al-Halbousi, for unknown reasons at all."

And between: "Allawi's refusal to set the date for early elections increases the lack of confidence in his government

4 hours ago, DIAMOND said:

These iraqis could'nt get a duck to swim 

It's not "Iraqis" in general that can't swim, and they are not ignorant people. Quite the opposite. It's the greedy, corrupt, and lawless Iraqis and Iranians that are drowning the Iraqi people.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 11
  • Downvote 4

Iraq postpones confidence vote for 3rd time as clock ticks

1995076-883562785.jpg?itok=LyHpI8cW
Iraqi demonstrators stand on a concrete wall during ongoing anti-government protests in Baghdad, Iraq March 1, 2020. (Reuters)
  • Parliament speaker Mohammed Halbusi did not schedule a new date for the session
  • On Sunday, only 108 lawmakers out of a total of 329 attended the extraordinary session

BAGHDAD: Iraq’s divided parliament postponed a vote of confidence in prime minister-designate Mohammad Allawi’s government for a third time Sunday for a lack of quorum, prolonging a political vacuum.
Parliament speaker Mohammed Halbusi did not schedule a new date for the session but noted a constitutional deadline for the vote would expire on Monday.
On Sunday, only 108 lawmakers out of a total of 329 attended the extraordinary session, which had already been delayed twice last week for lack of a quorum.
Iraq’s parliament is the most divided in its recent history and Allawi is struggling to secure support from Sunni Arab and Kurdish minorities for his proposed cabinet.
Over the past week, he has adjusted the line-up to bolster support, while also holding talks with Sunni and Kurdish representatives.
Nominated on February 1 to replace Adel Abdel Mahdi who stepped down in December, Allawi must get parliament to approve his cabinet in a confidence vote, otherwise President Barham Salih has said he will designate a new premier unilaterally.
According to political sources, the president intends to propose intelligence chief Mustafa Al-Kazimi.
Anti-government demonstrators rallied in Baghdad and southern hotspots on Sunday to press for a government of technocrats not beholden to political parties or foreign interests, said an AFP correspondent.
Demonstrators who have remained mobilized since October have rejected the choice of Allawi for premier, saying he is too close to the elite against which they have protesting.

https://www.arabnews.com/node/1635311/middle-east

• Thanks 2

Caretaker PM Abdul Mahdi Ready to Stay in Power: Source

BasNews 01/03/2020 - 19:43 Published in Iraq

ERBIL - Iraq's caretaker PM Adil Abdul Mahdi has showed readiness to stay in power until a new cabinet is formed in Baghdad, a source revealed on Sunday.

Abdul Mahdi, who resigned in November in hopes of addressing the demands of the anti-government protesters, has told the political parties that he is ready to continue in his position until a new government will be established, the source told RT.

The source also pointed that PM-designate Mohammed Allawi seems to fail to form a new cabinet as he is struggling to convince the majority of the political parties to support his agenda.

As a result of which, Abdul Mahdi may stay in power until the next elections are held.

A parliamentary session had been set for Sunday to vote on Allawi's cabinet but it was postponed until Monday due to lack of quorum as only 108 out of 325 lawmakers attended the session.

Edited by 6ly410
  • Haha 5

Iraq has basically been conquered by Iran.  They run the government, they steal from the people, their militias intimidate anyone who tries to object and they could care less if Iraq ever prospers.  

The US liberated Iraq from Saddam only to find it become a satellite state of Iran.  The protesters need to do more than burn a few buildings imo.   

My only question is why haven’t our forces stormed the parliament and started throwing the Iranian stooges in jail.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 7

No “true” leadership in that country!

A true leader (leadership) would move them towards something!!

Their government is simply a group of managers only interested in controlling the current situation and holding on to

the status quo...that = $ for Iran!! 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Future Iraqi Gov’t Should Respect Kurdistan Constitutional Rights: PM Barzani

BasNews   01/03/2020 - 22:17  Published inKurdistan
Future Iraqi Gov’t Should Respect Kurdistan Constitutional Rights: PM Barzani

ERBIL - The future government in Baghdad should respect the constitutional rights of the Kurdistan Region, Prime Minister Masrour Barzani said on Sunday.

Barzani made the remarks at a press conference after his meeting with King Abdullah II in Amman where they exchanged views on the bilateral ties, including the trade and investment relations among other topics.

Concerning the relations between Erbil and Baghdad and the formation of a new Iraqi government, Barzani noted that Iraq should respect the Kurdistan Region as a political entity which is recognized by the Constitution.

"This is the principle of strengthening the relations between Erbil and Baghdad," he said.

Barzani's remarks come as Iraq's PM-designate Mohammed Allawi has so far failed to convince the majority of political parties and parliamentary factions, especially the Kurds and Sunnis, to support his efforts to the form an interim cabinet.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Source: Allawi will deliver a statement shortly after withdrawing from the mandate

2020-03-01

Source: Allawi will deliver a statement shortly after withdrawing from the mandate

A political source said, on Sunday, that Prime Minister-designate Muhammad Tawfiq Allawi will deliver a statement shortly after he withdrew from his mandate to form a government.

The source said to Alsumaria News, "The Prime Minister-designate Muhammad Tawfiq Allawi will deliver a statement of withdrawal from the formation of the government, soon."

Today, Sunday, the House of Representatives failed for the second time to hold an extraordinary session to vote on the government of Muhammad Tawfiq Allawi.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Sunday, 01 March 2020 11:46 PM

Weak and failed to convince the street of his presence and did not gain the confidence of anyone .. Allawi is out of calculations

Tawfiq Allawi

The anger against him was and is still tremendous, and the revolutionaries do not want a prime minister to enter the country in the wall.

Anger against the commissioner, Tawfiq Allawi, and the street and the parliament’s refusal to give him confidence to his government is due to several reasons .. The
first is the state of mystery in which Tawfiq Allawi has lived since his appearance on the scene about a month ago. , And his inability to get out of his government to the light.
 Allawi was not the fate of the hot scene in Iraq, but he was much less political than him, and he could not convince anyone of his person or his program nor did he succeed in calming the angry street against him.
And as was the expectation accompanying Muhammad Tawfiq Allawi, that he will not have an easy task, with a street rising for four months in the face of power, and a sharp division between the political parties. Allawi's
mandate came at the "lost time" for the deadline set by the President of the Republic, Barham SalihThe political blocs have a name to head a government instead of resigning Adel Abdul Mahdi, before President Saleh himself takes a unilateral decision. Allawi
began his political career in 2003, when he was elected a member of Parliament in the post-Saddam Hussein regime. He was appointed Minister of Communications in the year 2006 and resigned in the year 2007, and he returned in the year 2008 to replace a deceased deputy, and also won the membership of the Council in the year 2010. In the same year, he was appointed again as the Minister of Communications in the government of Nuri al-Maliki, but that period was not completed, and his political career was printed. He resigned from the government in August 2012. On that day, Allawi accused al-Maliki, regardless of corruption operations carried out by those close to him. Allawi explained at the time that he had documents confirming the existence of illegal gains in the government, and that he would reveal them at the appropriate time, but he did not reveal anything!

The opponents of Allawi, who graduated with architecture from the American University of Beirut in 1980, see that there is a similarity between him and Abdel Mahdi. Some of them point out that he is a figure with no program in state administration and no plan to stabilize the country.
One of the political officials said since his appearance that Allawi "will work to satisfy the parties that brought him to power because of his weak personality."
Some, like Abdul-Mahdi, also carried on him his fluctuations in affiliations, between Islamists from the Al-Sadr family first and then the Dawa Party, all the way to the secular trend and its difference with the Islamic parties.
 Until the moment, and in the face of a general rejection of Allawi on the part of the Iraqi street and from the part of the deputies, according to their different directions.
Jawad al-Moussawi, the deputy MP, asserted that negotiations between the various political parties are still ongoing regarding the formation of the next government, pointing to the possibility of offering an alternative option to the Prime Minister-designate, Muhammad Tawfiq Allawi, if the government does not pass the parliament.
Mousawi said: "The negotiations between the various political parties are still ongoing, and it has not been agreed yet on the passage of the government of Muhammad Tawfiq Allawi." Moussawi pointed out that "the picture is not clear until the expected parliamentary session was held," noting that "in the absence of an agreement between the Shiite blocs with the Sunni and Kurdish blocs, the option tends to choose a new personality, instead of Muhammad Allawi."
He pointed out that "there are not yet any names on the political circles, to fill the post of prime minister, instead of Allawi."
This position of other leaders supported by Muqtada Al-Sadr is considered contrary to the statements of the leader of the Sadrist movement, as he threatened on February 22 last year to leave a million demonstration and sit-ins around the Green Zone in the event that Parliament did not pass the government of Prime Minister-designate Muhammad Tawfiq Allawi, before he retracted the call to demonstrate in anticipation Corona virus spread.
In the same context, the leader of the "Ummah" party, for example, Al-Alusi, saw the passing of any government in Iraq without the Kurds' participation as "a bad omen and a death for democracy in the country."
Al-Alusi said in a statement: "The existence of the Kurds as the second largest national in the Iraqi state is a historical, political, national and objective merit." He added that "the absence of the Kurds by their weight and their entitlements represents a political and national failure that threatens the unity of Iraq and its national, social and official security," stressing that "no federal government can form without the true Kurds, and if they occur, it is a harbinger and a death certificate for the democratic meanings in Iraq."
The House of Representatives had decided to postpone its extraordinary session due to the lack of a quorum.

The government formation file is witnessing great controversy, as most Shiite forces support the passage of the government, with observations from some of its parties, while Sunnis and Kurds refuse to pass it, because of what they considered a representation of the major powers in Parliament only, without regard to the rest of the components in the country, as well as being far from the demands The demonstrators.
The 30-day deadline granted to him by the constitution ends on Sunday, and Iraq will have scenarios if Allawi fails to gain the confidence of Parliament, most notably the leadership of President Barham Saleh, the government until a new person is assigned.
Article 81 of the Iraqi constitution stipulates that "the President of the Republic shall act as Prime Minister when the position is vacant for any reason whatsoever."
Second: "When the case provided for in the first clause of this article is fulfilled, the President of the Republic assigns another candidate to form the ministry, within a period of no more than fifteen days."
Sources in the field of the Iraqi street, said that there is a curse mass overwhelming embodied in the demonstrations, which is a curse on the political general system of the ruling , especially parties, and any government come through them are not acceptable to a mass and easy to overthrow. "
In front of all these facts , it is no longer in front of conciliationAllawi, as it has been reported in the past hours, only to announce his withdrawal and leave the door in Iraq in conflict with any other political possibilities.
 Instead of a high position in a burning and sensitive circumstance

• Upvote 4

https://twitter.com/MohammedAllawi

3/1/2020

ALLAWI.jpg.b1ab2ca85076cec9e1db6e1d011ba177.jpg

Google Translation:

I submitted a letter to the President of the Republic, in which he apologized for assigning me to form the government. I was in front of this equation - the position of prime minister in exchange for lack of honesty with my people and continuing the position at the expense of his suffering ... (1/2)

The choice was simple and clear, to be with my patient people, especially when I saw that some political parties are not serious about reform and fulfilling their promises to the people, and put obstacles in the way of the birth of an independent government working for the country. (2/2)

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

6ly410, DWS112 Thanks,   Darn shameful these sorry arse political parties do not want "Real Reforms or Real Change" for the Iraqi Citizens.  The President Of The Republic should dissolve all of Parliament and the Iraqi Citizens need to step up the pressure ASAP.      The Iraqi Citizens are the only ones that can truly bring change for their "Country".   However, It will costs more bloodshed in order to see this to the end but it is something that must be done to preserve life for the "Young Iraqi Citizens" to have democracy, freedom and prosperity in the future.

GO IRAQI CITIZENS

Edited by tigergorzow
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

They did'nt get it done once again.  But they have agreements with other countries and organizations that I assume are waiting on a seated government accepting of a budget . I cant see them waiting without some sort of major backlash towards Iraq for not being ready . Sanctioning the auctions and GOI members more harshly would be good right now in my opinion  .

• Upvote 5

Iraqi PM-designate Allawi resigns due to 'political pressure'

4 minutes ago
497232Image1.jpg?mode=crop&quality=70&ra
PM-designate Mohammed Tafwiq Allawi released an address in the early hours of March 2. Photo: Iraqi Presidency

ERBIL, Kurdistan Region - Iraqi Prime Minister-designate Mohammed Tafwiq Allawi has submitted his resignation following his inability to secure parliamentary approval to form a cabinet, according to Iraqi state TV.

"As a sign of respect to the confidence that I was given when I was appointed to form the government, I promised that I would resign if I face any political pressure, because I had promised that I would form an independent government, devoid of political party representatives," Allawi in a televised speech early on March 2.

Under the Iraqi constitution, he had until the 2nd to form a cabinet. 

The Iraqi parliament initially conducted an emergency session on Thursday to vote on Allawi’s cabinet, but did not reach quorum and the vote was postponed to Saturday, and then rescheduled to Sunday.

"If I had ever compromised on my promises, I would have now been the prime minister, but I did not do it," Allawi said.

"There are some political parties who are not being serious and all they think of is the  own interests," he said. "During the talks, some sides were speaking only of their own interests."

He did not specifically target or hint at any sides.

"I am calling on the Mr. President [Barham Salih] to accept my apology that I cannot carry out the responsibility I was given," he added.

He said he did his best to resolve the existing problems gripping Iraq, most notably corruption.

In parts of his speech, he called on the protests to continue.

"I hope the peaceful protests continue so the sacrifices you have made will not go wasted and here I am joining you. I will not compromise," he added.

The Kurdistan Regional Government’s (KRG) delegation in Baghdad had earlier reached a deal with opposition parties to try and prevent Allawi from forming his cabinet.

Just 120 MPs turned up to last week's session in Baghdad – shy of the 165 needed to meet quorum. Kurdish and Sunni parties seem to have deliberately avoided the session, alongside some Shiites, because they fear that Allawi intended  to exclude their choice of candidates from power.

Caretaker PM Adil Abdul-Mahdi resigned in the face of widespread protests in Iraq’s  southern and central provinces. The protests have raged since October  1, 2019, with Iraqis demanding the removal of the post-2003 political  elite, an overhaul  of the political system, and early elections.

Allawi- appointed as Abdul-Mahdi's successor- was given a free hand by Shiite parties to choose an  independent cabinet on the condition that Kurds and Sunnis grant him  the same freedom. His insistence to appoint candidates himself, however, caused tensions with Kurdish representatives. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1