Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Corona Virus in America

Pitcher

Trump says no need to panic after coronavirus case died in US

trump

President Donald Trump said Saturday that despite the first death on US soil from the new coronavirus, the threat to Americans remained low and there was no reason for "panic," AFP reported.

Trump confirmed that the first fatality, announced by officials in Washington state, was a woman in her late 50s. She lived in King county, which includes Seattle, local officials said.

"Additional cases in the United States are likely," Trump told a White House news conference, adding that "healthy individuals should be able t

• Upvote 3

Seattle woman in her 50s is confirmed as the first US coronavirus death - as President Trump tells the public 'not to panic' and the Governor of Washington declares a state of emergency

• 'Medically high-risk' woman in her 50s died of coronavirus overnight Friday near Seattle, Washington 
  • Officials in King County say that the death was one of multiple new cases identified in the area
  • Trump urged calm, saying 'healthy individuals should be able to fully recover' if infected
  • Community spread with no traceable origin has now been identified in California, Washington, Oregon 
  • Trump administration issues new travel restrictions on Iran, Italy and South Korea 
  • As of Friday, the total number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the US was 62, including 47 repatriations

PUBLISHED: 13:09 EST, 29 February 2020 | UPDATED: 16:07 EST, 29 February 2020 

A woman in Washington state has been confirmed as the first person to die from coronavirus in the United States. 

At a rare Saturday press conference in the White House, President Donald Trump said that the deceased patient was a woman in her 50s who was 'medically high-risk'. No further information about her medical history was immediately available. 

Health officials said the woman was one of a handful with no known links to global hot zones to have contracted the virus — indicating that the deadly outbreak is now likely spreading in communities. 

Washington Governor Jay Inslee initially stirred confusion by issuing a statement referring to the deceased patient as a male, saying 'Our hearts go out to his family and friends.' But the statement was later changed to read 'their' instead of 'his'. 

The White House said a CDC briefing indicated the patient was a woman, but Inslee's apparent error spurred early conflicting reports about the patient's sex. 

The woman who died overnight on Friday had been a patient at the Evergreen Health's hospital in Kirkland, Washington, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Speaking to the nation, Trump expressed condolences to the family of the woman who died and addressed the outbreak, urging calm even as he said the virus spread seems inevitable.

'Additional cases in the United States are likely, but healthy individuals should be able to fully recover,' he said. 'Healthy people — if you're healthy, you'll probably go through a process and you'll be fine.'

Trump urged politicians and the media not to sensationalize the outbreak and provoke panic. 'There's no reason to panic at all,' he said.

Worldwide, the outbreak that began in Wuhan, China has sickened at least 83,652 people and killed 2,862 in 54 countries.

Read the entire article on the link below.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8059987/First-coronavirus-patient-dies-Seattle.html

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Karsten said:

Push an Agenda. She was homeless and the homeless camps in Seattle are just as bad as those the San Fransisco.

Thanks Karsten.

Geez, This crisis should not be politicized.  

I hate to let my mind go there but it seems a little convenient that 3 hotspots for the Virus is where citizens were protesting in the streets.

China, Iran, and Iraq, you don’t hear about protestors anymore do you.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

Gunnison, Colorado: the town that dodged the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic

A century on, what can we learn from how US mountain community dealt with viral outbreak

Rory Carroll

Sun 1 Mar 2020 08.00 GMT Last modified on Sun 1 Mar 2020 08.03 GMT

• Thanks 3

Geez, This crisis should not be politicized

End Quote

1,000% agreed, Pitcher.... That's shameful in the least.....

Someone tried to do that here in Italy and it turned out to be a shot in his foot ( deservedly so)...Apparently there was bipartisan judgement against that  which is good and the way it should be

• Upvote 2

Coronavirus was likely spreading undetected in Washington state for SIX WEEKS, confirmed cases hit 8

• Delta Air Lines Inc on Sunday said it is suspending until May flights to Milan in northern Italy where most of that country's coronavirus cases have been reported and American Airlines Group Inc announced similar 

A scientist in Washington State believes coronavirus may have been spreading for six weeks before it was detected, and there could be a 'few hundred' people currently infected amid an 'already substantial outbreak'.

At least 74 confirmed cases of COVID-19 had been reported as of Sunday afternoon with the majority being on the west coast of the United States but new cases were confirmed in Rhode Island - where a patient in their 40s had traveled to Italy in mid-February - and Illinois where the third ‘presumptive case of novel coronavirus,’ was announced. Two people have made full recoveries in Illinois.

But anxious shoppers descended on supermarkets, stocking up on supplies like bottled water, canned food and Clorox wipes after more than half a dozen California residents were diagnosed with the disease in recent days.

The number of confirmed infections in Washington reached eight Sunday as two men in their 60s - both with underlying health conditions - were in critical condition. One was stable at Valley Medical Center in Renton, the other was at Virginia Mason.   

Trevor Bedford of the University of Washington said the illness has likely spread within the community as none of the people confirmed to be infected had recently traveled. 

See the full article in the link above

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

US confirms new cases of coronavirus in Chicago - the FIFTH 'unknown origin' infection - and one in Rhode Island, bringing total number of sick Americans to 73

• Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar confirmed the 72nd case of coronavirus in the United States on Sunday
  • Azar said that a new case in Chicago is of unknown origin - making it the fifth instance in which an American contracted the illness through unknown means 
  • The patient is being treated in isolation at a hospital in suburban Cook County, Illinois
  • Rhode Island's state-run health agency announced the first positive test of coronavirus - a patient in their 40s who had traveled to Italy in mid-February
  • Italy, where hundreds of people have been infected with coronavirus, has seen the worst outbreak in Europe
  • Meanwhile, California residents hit the shops on Saturday to stock up on supplies as state becomes coronavirus hotspot 
  • More than half a dozen Californians have been diagnosed with coronavirus in recent days, officials have said 
  • Washington state reported the first US death from virus and Oregon says a person tested positive for disease 

Full article below 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8062341/US-confirms-new-case-coronavirus-Chicago-bringing-total-number-infected-Americans-72.html

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Could Spring Break be canceled? Coronavirus fears put colleges on alert and Miami treats outbreak as a 'hurricane threat' ahead of influx of revelers

• Coronavirus fears have led at least 14 universities to cancel study abroad programs in Asia and northern Italy and recall students back to the US
  • Florida officials say they're treating the global outbreak as a 'hurricane threat' ahead of an influx of Spring Break visitors this month
  • Officials will meet this week to come up with a plan for Spring Break safety
  • So far there have been no confirmed cases of coronavirus in Florida 
  • Organizers for the three-day Ultra Music Festival say they will install extra hand sanitizers and display promote health tips at the event 
  • Disney confirmed Wednesday that some third-party Epcot workers were asked to stay home after they returned from a trip to Italy
  • Disney, Universal and SeaWorld theme parks say they are working with health officials for the safety of visitors and employees  

Coronavirus fears are crippling Spring Break plans as universities across the country cancel study abroad programs and Florida officials say they're treating the global outbreak as a 'hurricane threat' ahead of an influx of visitors this month. 

Schools including Syracuse, Florida International University and New York University have cancelled study abroad programs in Asia as well as northern Italy amid the coronavirus outbreak.  

Some schools who have cancelled programs and called back students include Elon, Sacred Heart University, Fairfield University, the University of Georgia, Villanova, Gonzaga, University of Colorado Boulder, New York University, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, Auburn University and the University of Tennessee. 

Several schools are also encouraging students who are traveling for spring break in general to take extra safety precautions.  

See full article in link below,

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8062287/Miami-treats-coronavirus-outbreak-hurricane-threat-ahead-Spring-Break.html

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

On 2/29/2020 at 5:10 PM, Pitcher said:

Geez, This crisis should not be politicized.  

Whenever Trump opens his mouth and says things like...."This administration has done more to prepare for these national emergencies than any administration in history"....he is making it political.  Donald built that and it's his go to tactic for everything.  If he doesn't want it politicized to he should politicize it.  He is the pOTUS and therefore the standard bearer by default.  As always, just my opinion 

2 confirmed deaths in the U.S. now.

https://news.yahoo.com/us-just-reported-second-coronavirus-025600476.html

GO RV, then BV

Edited by Shabibilicious
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Both sides are using this crisis.  Did you not see the Dem debate last week?  I won’t be making any more responses on this subject Shabbs,  as it tends to make a very difficult crisis more difficult.   Now is not the time to point fingers. It’s is time to come together and get through it.  

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Pitcher said:

Both sides are using this crisis.  Did you not see the Dem debate last week?  I won’t be making any more responses on this subject Shabbs,  as it tends to make a very difficult crisis more difficult.   Now is not the time to point fingers. It’s is time to come together and get through it.  

Agreed....hopefully the standard bearer agrees as well and works to unite our country at this critical time.

GO RV, then BV

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

The manner in how this is being pushed is a bit questionable.

CDC has stated back in 2018, over 18,000 people died from the flu, and their "flu shots" helped only about 47% of those that got them.

Does anyone remember a state of panic back then??? Does anyone think over 18,000 deaths due to the flu back then was pushed with so much fear and dread as this is? No it wasn't.

Over 18,000 dead in 2018 from the flu...keep this in perspective before allowing the media and politics to present yet another daily dose of fear and doom to the people. Why wasn't there "panic" being sold back in 2018??? 18,000 people are a lot of casualties from the "flu", and I do not remember hearing a word about it. Way too much drama in today's bizarre world.

Everything today gets politicized, and it sure gets old. Then you have the crazies that grab any opportunity to predict dire outcomes, empty store shelves, shortage of medicine, they pile up all the things that could go wrong, and make it sound as if it is fact. Let's just try and maintain some balance instead of buying in to all the speculation being served up by media and others.

Edited by Jim1cor13
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Good post Jim.  Living in a Hurricane area I go thru this kind of public over reaction almost every summer.  The news media ALWAYS  tends to paint a worst case scenario in a “cover our a** warnings”.   It’s rarely as bad as it’s reported and people always lose their minds in fear.  

Quick story.  During one of our Hurricane craziness I decided to go to a grocery store to see what was going on.  People were in pure panic mode.  You could see it written all over their faces.  I saw one lady buying 20 bottles of mustard!!!!   I asked her why are you buying so much mustard?    She said I don’t know, I saw another guy buying a bunch so I did too.   I told her to put the mustard back.  She said ok but she still held onto 5 bottles.  I will never forget that woman.  I’ll bet she had a huge hot dog party later that summer.  😂 😆 😝.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Pitcher said:

Good post Jim.  Living in a Hurricane area I go thru this kind of public over reaction almost every summer.  The news media ALWAYS  tends to paint a worst case scenario in a “cover our a** warnings”.   It’s rarely as bad as it’s reported and people always lose their minds in fear.  

Quick story.  During one of our Hurricane craziness I decided to go to a grocery store to see what was going on.  People were in pure panic mode.  You could see it written all over their faces.  I saw one lady buying 20 bottles of mustard!!!!   I asked her why are you buying so much mustard?    She said I don’t know, I saw another guy buying a bunch so I did too.   I told her to put the mustard back.  She said ok but she still held onto 5 bottles.  I will never forget that woman.  I’ll bet she had a huge hot dog party later that summer.  😂 😆 😝.  

:lol: :lol: :lol: 

That is a good story Pitcher! Oh I bet it would have been hilarious watching her try and use up that mustard! :lol: 

Too funny, and also unfortunate that we live in a world today that every event must have as much squeezed out of it as possible in order to instill fear.

In my opinion, those who use fear and dread to manipulate others emotions ALWAYS have something to sell them...these are the lowest form of life, because they feast upon others fear. We see it so often it has become "normal" yet there is nothing normal about some folks hunger for all things drama. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jim1cor13 said:

The manner in how this is being pushed is a bit questionable.

CDC has stated back in 2018, over 18,000 people died from the flu, and their "flu shots" helped only about 47% of those that got them.

Does anyone remember a state of panic back then??? Does anyone think over 18,000 deaths due to the flu back then was pushed with so much fear and dread as this is? No it wasn't.

Over 18,000 dead in 2018 from the flu...keep this in perspective before allowing the media and politics to present yet another daily dose of fear and doom to the people. Why wasn't there "panic" being sold back in 2018??? 18,000 people are a lot of casualties from the "flu", and I do not remember hearing a word about it. Way too much drama in today's bizarre world.

Everything today gets politicized, and it sure gets old. Then you have the crazies that grab any opportunity to predict dire outcomes, empty store shelves, shortage of medicine, they pile up all the things that could go wrong, and make it sound as if it is fact. Let's just try and maintain some balance instead of buying in to all the speculation being served up by media and others.

Agreed and thanks, Jim......

Best to you and yours

FEMA preparing for possible coronavirus emergency declaration

WASHINGTON — The Federal Emergency Management Agency is planning for the possibility that President Donald Trump could make an emergency declaration to bring in extra funds and personnel to assist the administration's coronavirus response, according to internal documents obtained by NBC News.

FEMA officials are preparing for an "infectious disease emergency declaration" by the president that would allow the agency to provide disaster relief funding to state and local governments, as well as federal assistance to support the coronavirus response, according to agency planning documents reviewed by NBC News.

The Trump administration would have to use the 1988 Stafford Act to enable FEMA to provide such disaster assistance. Emergency declarations are most often used in the event of natural disasters but can be used to help manage disease outbreaks.

Full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak

"To me this is another indication that the president and the White House are finally aware of the gravity of the situation," said Michael Coen, who was FEMA chief of staff during the Obama administration. "They need to consider all tools available to them and have contingencies for action."

"I actually find this reassuring," said Tim Manning, who was a FEMA deputy administrator under President Barack Obama. “I hope this discussion has been happening continuously over the last couple of months."

Health

An emergency declaration would allow FEMA to provide disaster medical assistance teams, mobile hospitals and military transport, among other kinds of federal support, Manning said.

FEMA's disaster relief fund has a current balance of $34 billion, according to the latest agency update. "It's money that’s sitting there and ready," said another former FEMA official, who declined to be identified.

FEMA spokesperson Lizzie Litzow said the agency is currently focused on supporting the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), which separately declared a "public health emergency" on Jan. 31, allowing HHS to access funds and other resources to aid the government's virus response. "At this time, there isn't anything additional to the HHS public health emergency," Litzow said.

The White House did not respond to a request for comment.

Download the NBC News app for full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak

It would not be the first time the federal government has used FEMA's resources to assist in a medical event.

In 2000, President Bill Clinton used a Stafford Act emergency declaration for outbreaks of the West Nile virus in New York and New Jersey, ordering up to $5 million in federal aid to supplement state efforts to combat the mosquito-borne virus.

Emergency declarations are distinct from "major disaster" declarations, which are more far-reaching and are typically used for hurricanes, floods and other natural disasters.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fema-prepping-possible-coronavirus-emergency-161744651.html

B/A

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1