Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Limbaugh and Trump fuel coronavirus conspiracy theories

Conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh, who told his listeners that alarmism about the coronavirus was a plot to bring down President Trump, has attacked the CDC official who warned Americans that the virus will inevitably spread in the U.S.

“Dr. Nancy Messonnier of the Centers for Disease Control — which today warned it could be bad, it might be bad, don’t go to school and don’t go to work, stay at home and teleconference — is the sister of the former Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein,” Limbaugh said on Tuesday’s program.

Rosenstein, who resigned from the Justice Department last May, oversaw the investigation by special counsel Robert Mueller that President Trump sought to stop.

Limbaugh explained why he believed Messonnier’s relationship to Rosenstein mattered: “It’s just in that town, I’m telling you, everything is incestuous. Most of that town is establishment-oriented or rooted, which means they despise Trump,” he said.

Limbaugh received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from Trump at his State of the Union speech last month.

On Monday, Limbaugh dismissed the danger presented by the coronavirus outbreak, which has so far killed over 2,700 people worldwide.

“It looks like the coronavirus is being weaponized as yet another element to bring down Donald Trump,” Limbaugh said on his radio program. “Now, I have to tell you the truth about coronavirus. ... Yeah, I’m dead right on this. The coronavirus is the common cold, folks.”

Rush Limbaugh and National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases Director Nancy Messonnier. (Mario Tama/Getty Images, Samuel Corum/Getty Images)

Rush Limbaugh and National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases Director Nancy Messonnier. (Mario Tama/Getty Images, Samuel Corum/Getty Images)

While the coronavirus first presents symptoms similar to those of the common cold — including headache, sore throat and fever — some infected with the virus develop difficulty breathing that can progress into life-threatening respiratory distress syndrome.

“The drive-by media hype of this thing as a pandemic, as the Andromeda strain, as, ‘Oh my God, if you get it you’re dead,’ do you know what the — I think the survival rate is 98 percent. Ninety-eight percent of the people get the coronavirus and survive.”

That figure appears to be correct, according to testimony in Congress Tuesday by the acting head of the Department of Homeland Security, Chad Wolf, but it might not be as reassuring as Limbaugh's comments implied. No one can predict how many Americans might contract the virus, but if it infects, say, 10 percent of the country, or 33 million people, a 2 percent mortality rate translates to 660,000 deaths. That is almost 10 times the number of Americans who died of opioid overdoses in 2017, about 70,000.

In his testimony, Wolf said the 2 percent figure was roughly the same as the death rate from seasonal influenza. In fact, flu kills just 0.1 percent of patients, a rate one-20th as high.

With fears rising of a pandemic of coronavirus, which in two months has quickly spread from China to South Korea, Europe and the Middle East, Trump plans to address the nation about the U.S. government’s response.

So far there are only 59 cases of the coronavirus reported in the U.S., but the government has tested only 445 people, according to the CDC. The test itself has been found to be faulty, the Washington Post reported, leading health officials to state that the number of U.S. cases could be drastically underreported.

Initially, however, Trump downplayed the threat of the virus to the U.S., and encouraged Americans to invest in the stock market, which suffered a massive sell-off on Monday and Tuesday.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/limbaugh-and-trump-fuel-coronavirus-conspiracy-theories-202831981.html

Idiots.....

B/A

Edited by bostonangler
  • Thanks 1

The WHO has an infection rating factor for infectious diseases that indicates for every person who gets that disease, how many other people around them will get the disease as well. The Flu has a rating of 0.5 and Corona 2.0. The kill rate for both is ~2% (quoting these numbers off the top of my head so if anyone can find a source, thanks).

You do the math.

The concern that Corona will spread faster and farther is a very real thing that should be considered. The kill rate appears to be similar to the Flu. Is it worth raising concerns that Corona could turn into a pandemic? I have concerns for myself and my family. Do I think that I am going to die if I get it? Nope!

Indy

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Indraman said:

The WHO has an infection rating factor for infectious diseases that indicates for every person who gets that disease, how many other people around them will get the disease as well. The Flu has a rating of 0.5 and Corona 2.0. The kill rate for both is ~2% (quoting these numbers off the top of my head so if anyone can find a source, thanks).

You do the math.

The concern that Corona will spread faster and farther is a very real thing that should be considered. The kill rate appears to be similar to the Flu. Is it worth raising concerns that Corona could turn into a pandemic? I have concerns for myself and my family. Do I think that I am going to die if I get it? Nope!

Indy

The coronavirus outbreak, however, is proving to be more deadly than the flu. It has killed roughly 2% of the people who have contracted it so far, according to world health officials. That compares with a mortality rate of 0.095% for the flu in the U.S., 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/03/the-flu-has-already-killed-10000-across-us-as-world-frets-over-coronavirus.html

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, caddieman said:

The coronavirus outbreak, however, is proving to be more deadly than the flu. It has killed roughly 2% of the people who have contracted it so far, according to world health officials. That compares with a mortality rate of 0.095% for the flu in the U.S., 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/03/the-flu-has-already-killed-10000-across-us-as-world-frets-over-coronavirus.html

@caddieman,

Thanks for the article. So there is a pretty substantial difference in the kill rates...

Flu - 0.1%

Coronavirus - 2%

20x

Indy

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

When you are diagnosed with stage 4 cancer I'm sure people will show you the same respect. It's sad what you've allowed to control your Spirit. 

Two separate issues.....His illness is sad and I feel for him and every other person inflicted with cancer.  That said, his cancer diagnosis doesn't give him the right to spout conspiracy theories, unchallenged.

GO RV, then BV

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Indraman said:

@caddieman,

Thanks for the article. So there is a pretty substantial difference in the kill rates...

Flu - 0.1%

Coronavirus - 2%

20x

Indy

These are the same numbers I heard as well.....and now that we have our first infected person who didn't travel anywhere and simply caught the virus in everyday life, it seems reasonable the rates of spreading will increase.

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

Two separate issues.....His illness is sad and I feel for him and every other person inflicted with cancer.  That said, his cancer diagnosis doesn't give him the right to spout conspiracy theories, unchallenged.

GO RV, then BV

2% death rate in China and other third world nations isn't going to be the same in Americas FIRST RATE  medical facilities.  So it seems once again YOU'RE the one spreading conspiracy theories. 

It's called antibiotics. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

2% death rate in China and other third world nations isn't going to be the same in Americas FIRST RATE  medical facilities.  So it seems once again YOU'RE the one spreading conspiracy theories. 

It's called antibiotics. 

Antibiotics for a virus we don't even have a vaccine for?......Let me guess, Amoxicillin?  :facepalm:

GO RV, then BV 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

Antibiotics for a virus we don't even have a vaccine for?......Let me guess, Amoxicillin?  :facepalm:

GO RV, then BV 

The US has started human testing of a drug to treat the novel coronavirus

Vaccine already under way in the MOST TECHNOLOGICALLY ADVANCED MEDICAL SYSTEM ON EARTH. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

It's called antibiotics. 

Sorry you’re wrong!

Antibiotics are strong medicines that treat bacterial infections. Antibiotics won't treat viral infections because they can't kill viruses. You'll get better when the viralinfection has run its course. Common illnesses caused by bacteria are urinary tract infections, strep throat, and some pneumonia.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

The US has started human testing of a drug to treat the novel coronavirus

Vaccine already under way in the MOST TECHNOLOGICALLY ADVANCED MEDICAL SYSTEM ON EARTH. 

Did you read the article you posted?.....Although clinical trials are underway, the CDC expects the disease to spread here in the U.S. with mortality rates around 2%, similar to the rates of death in China.

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

Did you read the article you posted?.....Although clinical trials are underway, the CDC expects the disease to spread here in the U.S. with mortality rates around 2%, similar to the rates of death in China.

GO RV, then BV

Yes  I read the article. The lady from the Center for Disease Control who made the 2% rates statement is Rob Rosenstein sister. Therefore I don't believe a word came out of her demonic control mouth. Especially when her Superior came back the next day and said that was not the case. There are now 58 cases of coronavirus in America and no one has died yet.

like I said it's sad what you've allowed to control your spirit.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 3
  • Upvote 1

Just now, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

Yes  I read the article. The lady from the Center for Disease Control who made the 2% rates statement is Rob Rosenstein sister. Therefore I don't believe a word came out of her demonic control mouth. Especially when her Superior came back the next day and said that was not the case. There are now 58 cases of coronavirus in America and no one has died yet.

Don't worry, Trump said it will go away when it gets warm...

B/A

• Haha 2
  • Downvote 2

My opinion is we really can't draw any sound conclusions on any of this....numbers from China are unreliable....and for a number of reasons there has been very little testing in the US....

60 cases in the US.....Most patients flown in from off shore.....with one death.....

I see Japan has closed schools for a month....that might be telling.......?

There is a difference between fear and panic.......personally I am not fearful or in a panic mode.......at this point only watchful....    CL

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

Dude....do yourself a favor and tune out Rush Radio for awhile.  The coronavirus is very real...Heaven forbid it touches any one of us or ours.

GO RV, then BV

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, coorslite21 said:

My opinion is we really can't draw any sound conclusions on any of this....numbers from China are unreliable....and for a number of reasons there has been very little testing in the US....

60 cases in the US.....Most patients flown in from off shore.....with one death.....

I see Japan has closed schools for a month....that might be telling.......?

There is a difference between fear and panic.......personally I am not fearful or in a panic mode.......at this point only watchful....    CL

Thanks CL for maintaining a rational perspective, You are right on the mark regarding the fear and panic, For me that is the foundation of the US health care system. 

Edited by adhoc10
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Starrider said:

OH Brother now this will be Trumps fault again. :facepalm2:SMH.

Starr

Remember this?  Trump tweets last forever.  

Trump called Obama 'a psycho' for not banning flights over Ebola virus

65352920-ded2-11e6-8b0a-2fe0a36835e8_200x200_INDY.JPG.cf.jpg
Chris Riotta
The Independent25 February 2020

US President Donald Trump speaks during a press conference in New Delhi: AFP via Getty Images

US President Donald Trump speaks during a press conference in New Delhi: AFP via Getty Images
More

Donald Trump is facing increasing criticism over his administration’s response to the deadly coronavirus — but perhaps not to the level of his own attacks against Barack Obama amid the Ebola outbreak of 2014.

Health officials warned on Tuesday the spread of the virus throughout the US appeared inevitable, despite Mr Trump’s claims on Twitter that “coronavirus is very much under control in the USA”.

The president has also sought to ease economic concerns about fears of a possible global pandemic, saying the US Centre for Disease Control and the World Health Organisation has been “working hard”. He said that stock markets are looking “very good to me!” - as the Dow Jones plummeted 1,000 points.

Mr Trump was far less confident about the US handling of Ebola under his predecessor, according to a series of his tweets from 2014, the virus was spreading from Africa to various parts of the world.

He attacked Mr Obama as “a psycho” in the posts, writing: “I am starting to think that there is something seriously wrong with President Obama’s mental health.”

Mr Trump was demanding at the time that US officials halt anyone coming into the country from parts of the world where cases of Ebola had been confirmed, while launching incendiary claims about “the plague”.

I am starting to think that there is something seriously wrong with President Obama's mental health. Why won't he stop the flights. Psycho!

“The US must immediately stop all flights from EBOLA infected countries,” he wrote in August 2014, “or the plague will start and spread inside our ‘borders.’”

He added: “Act fast!”

The U.S. must immediately stop all flights from EBOLA infected countries or the plague will start and spread inside our "borders." Act fast!

In another July tweet, Mr Trump slammed US officials as “incompetent” amid reports that a patient with a confirmed Ebola case was being brought into the US.

“KEEP THEM OUT OF HERE!” the president wrote.

The president’s past tweets garnered renewed focus as he faced his own criticism for the White House’s mixed messaging on the coronavirus.

Despite Mr Trump’s claims about the spread of the virus being under control, Democratic Senator Patty Murray described his administration’s response to the outbreak as “unacceptable” in a statement on Tuesday.

“We cannot afford to plan on the cheap or at the last minute," she said. "I'm deeply concerned that we are way behind the eight-ball on this.”

Mr Trump’s own White House acknowledged it “cannot hermetically seal off the United States to a virus” on Tuesday, as Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said: “The immediate risk to the general American public remains low, but that has the potential to change quickly."

The White House budget office has requested $2.5 billion to assist in developing a vaccine to combat the spread of the virus, along with additional treatment measures and protective equipments for officials.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/trump-called-obama-psycho-not-035609510.html

GO RV, then BV

• Haha 2
  • Downvote 2