Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Global warming: The Earth just had its hottest January in recorded history

bostonangler

The new decade is off to a hot start.

The Earth just had its warmest January on record, scientists from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration announced Thursday. Global temperature records go back to 1880.

The January 2020 global land and ocean surface temperature was 2.05 degrees Fahrenheit above the 20th-century average of 53.6 degrees, NOAA said. This broke the previous record set in January 2016.

The most notable warmer-than-average areas included much of Russia and parts of Scandinavia and eastern Canada, where temperatures were as much as 9 degrees above average or higher. 

Here in the U.S., all 48 contiguous states were warmer than average in January, NOAA said last week.

Globally, January 2020 marked the 44th consecutive January and the 421st consecutive month that the planet saw above-average temperatures.

The planet's four warmest Januaries have occurred since 2016, and the 10 warmest Januaries have all occurred since 2002, NOAA said.

Warmer temperatures mean melting snow and ice. The extent of Arctic sea ice was 5.3 percent below the average from 1981-2010, and Antarctic sea ice was 9.8 percent below the average.

The warmth from January continued the unusual warmth from 2019, which was the second-hottest year on record.

The hottest January after the second-hottest year on record “is one of those indications that things are warming dramatically,” said University of Illinois climate scientist Don Wuebbles.

What’s more impressive than the margin of warmth itself is that it occurred without any assistance from an official El Niño event, Weather Underground meteorologist Robert Henson said. El Niño, a natural warming of Pacific Ocean water temperatures, also tends to produce warmer global temperatures.

Looking ahead, NOAA scientists said that 2020 is also "very likely to rank among the five warmest years on record."

Contributing: The Associated Press

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Global warming: Earth just had its hottest January on record

I know my heating has been great!!!

B/A

• Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, umbertino said:

Yep......but as we know...There's no worse type of deaf  than the one who refuses to hear ( for a lot of reasons...including pride...)

12 minutes ago, bostonangler said:

Very well put... 

B/A

Hey listen to some one smart on the subject.

I dare you to listen to Dr Moore - He is a old "Green Peace" dude.

Come on just 20 minutes of your time I double dare you!

• Thanks 1

Very interesting. And as I always say which is in agreement with this guy, is I don't know why but it is warming. At 9:00 he show a graph from 1900 until today. Very clearly you can see that it goes up and down, but you can also see from 1900 until today there is a clear upward trend. What happened in 1900? The industrial age. At 9:44 he shoes a graph of the last 18 years. However on the graph it ends at 2015. So his graph is five years old. Again his graph on Antarctic Ice is from 2014. His drought graph is from 2000. I love the ending. He show how oil and mining destroyed the area, then he shows how it's been restored and in the very end gives credit to Canada's government for having such strong environmental laws.

So he has proven that earth changes and like me can't say we do not have some effect, but the end point is still the same. The earth is changing and whether or not we are to blame, we can all do our best  to help.

B/A

• Like 1

Well as soon as I see CNN it will be hard to digest. But I will take a look. I will have to come back to it as I am beginning to be pressed for time this am.

You know Mr Bill does not really have a degree in anything - right? He is a paid shill.

And as far as "statistical warming" goes; Meteorologist can't even predict the weather 10 days out let alone predicting 12 years out and saying we will all be dead in a few years.

.What gets me in 1975 they said the city I lived in at the time was going to be buried in 3 feet of snow.

Then "they" change their tune to say it was going to be soooo hot that we will all fry and now their base has change to the "climate will change" and we need trillions of your tax dollars to fight it and you better start walking or we will all be dead.

Also we here in CA know the following:

Droughts in California-
Throughout history, California has experienced many droughts, such as 1841, 1864, 1924, 1928–1935, 1947–1950, 1959–1960, 1976–1977, 2006–2010, and 2011–2017.  Cycles, Cycles, Cycles.
And I'm pretty sure cars were not around in the 1800's.

Umbertino - perhaps we are on the same page.

We both know that CO2 is greatly beneficial to plants and that there are cycles that are completely understood by the lowly human.

We also know that the majority of species have been eliminated far before the lowly human arrived.

Maybe God wants it this way - other wise it would not be this way...

Perhaps???

Peace.

Come on RV

Edited by bigwave
finished the post
  • Thanks 2