Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

CORONAVIRUS - NEWS AND HOW TO PREPARE

KristiD

Today China had a large spike in the number of cases and deaths, and it's looking more and more like this Covid2019 is, indeed, a bioweapon (regardless of whether it was accidentally released or not).  Personally, I have a hard time thinking things will get as bad a many are projecting, but it's foolish not to be well-informed and to properly prepare, in case this does turn out to be a global pandemic and ends up killing 10-15% of the world's population. 

I've been into alternative health for decades so I go to my trusted alaternative health sources for all health issues.  For like-minded people who want to be proactive in approaching this deadly pandemic, Clif HIgh's "Critical Thinking" is a great source.  Clif is super smart and well respected in many fields - including but not limited to alternative health.  He finds reliable information on Covid2019and then applies critical thinking, combined with his extensive knowledge on health to it, and then presents it all to  people via his youtube channel.  Below are links to the first 7 videos (he started January 28) on Covid2019.  They are in order starting with the oldest one first.  They build on information from earlier videos so if you have the time, it's good to listen to all of them.  You can also bookmark his youtube channel and watch his new videos as they are released.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab8jfLcERw0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qnCKxiQjOk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TowUSWYiGQo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLHnuxqeTWg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYwGulVbBAQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UqbL65fpVU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnyrhp-ihfM&t=138s

Next is an interview with a well respected woman who uses sound for healing.  She is offering - for free - a way to test yourself to see if you have Covid2019 using your voice (you submit a voice sample online).  To date, most Americans are not likely to have been exposed to it since there are only 15 confirmed cases in the US, but over time, we likely will be be.  So this free test is something to keep in mind for the future.  She also is providing - for free - an mp3 file of the sound (it's music but not like a regular song) that you can use to help fight off the virus.  It hasn't really been tested as of this writing since in the US, there aren't people that you can test it on.  But it won't hurt you so it's worth a try if you do end up getting sick from this.  Also, I have personally found sound therapy to be incredibly powerful, so I will definitely be using this once I feel like I may have been exposed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_ILLRPJE54  - the interview

https://sarahwestall.com/bioacoustics-solution-frequencies-now-available-manmade-dangerous-contagion-w-sharry-edwards/ - link to the MP3 file which also has the link to the site where you can send in a voice sample to test yourself for Covid2019

As of today, I'm paying Covid2019 more attention than I did yesterday, but I still have a hard time believing life as we know it is gonna change for all of us.  I do think it's inevitable that this will spread around the world since China was too late in instituting a quarantine.  But there just hasn't been enough time to know how contageous and deadly this really is.  And while it does seem likely that this is a bioweapon - it's still too early to say that definitively.  Maybe it won't be as bad a pandemic as people are projecting.  And it may be that many people will be infected by it, but their immune system will be strong enough to fight it off without them getting any symptoms (or even only minimal symptoms).  And the 15% mortality rate that Clif mentions is not a hard and fast number because it's just too early to tell - we need more data..  Plus, we know China has been lying so we don't know how many people have really been infected or the true totals of how many have died, so how can our current estimates even be accurate?  Also, Clif believes that Covid2019 may be targeting Asians, and if that's true, China's  infection and death rates will be higher than non-Asian countries and populations.  So I still think we have to wait and see how this plays out.  But, the stakes are high and and I've decided it's best to be over-prepared rather than under-prepared, so I am going to start making some preparstions for worst case.  And I'm going follow this a lot more closely from now on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Thank you KristiD. I will watch these vids a little latter. I’m always interested in learning.  Your posts are always very illuminating.  

I have told the board numerous times about my substance abuse problems as a young adult. I kicked all that bad behavior but then I substituted it with over eating. I was never huge but I was definitely over weight and not as healthy as I am now.  

I attacked that bad behavior and now I’m very conscious of what I put into my body.  I stopped eating meat except fish, no add on sugar, rarely eat bread or pasta, and NO Alcohol. The last few years I’ve discovered the benefits of a healthy gut.  I never realized how important a healthy gut is to overall good health and your immune system.  

Since I started eating the correct foods for a healthy gut I have found my blood sugars, and cholesterol levels have lowered.  My overall immune system is much better than I can ever remember it being in my life.  I eat a lot of fresh grown vegetables, fruits, nuts, soup, salads and I drink an assortment of teas and plenty of water.   For the gut I eat sauerkraut, kimchi, yogurt, and kombucha.  Bottom line is I have lost over 30 pounds, feel great, sleep better, my brain function is better and I have the energy of a 30 year old. BTW, I’m 67, which is only a number to me.  

If anyone reading this is not sleeping well, tired all the time, constantly getting ill,  feeling a general sense of malaise, or just needs a nudge to try to improve your health let me encourage you to get after it.  Attack your health problems NOW while you can because if you don’t you will be forced to deal with it after your hospital stay, if you make it out of the hospital.  

You can google healthy gut bacteria to get some reading material. I read a lot of material on this subject with a simple Google search.

Below is a fellow I liked.  He has a number of vids which are very informative on health and healthy eating

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBR8-60-B28hp2BmDPdntcQ

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

China reports rise in new coronavirus cases, warns of risk of rebound

SHANGHAI/BEIJING (Reuters) - China reported 433 new cases of coronavirus infections on Feb. 26, the National Health Commission said on Thursday, up from 406 a day earlier, with a cluster of new cases in Beijing raising concerns about the management of employees returning to work.

The total number of confirmed cases on mainland China has now reached 78,497, the Commission said, though the number of new deaths on Wednesday stood at 29, the lowest daily rate since Jan. 28.

The outbreak has now killed a total of 2,744 people in China.

Hubei, the central Chinese province at the epicenter of the outbreak, reported 409 new cases and 26 deaths on Wednesday. Beijing and the provinces of Heilongjiang and Henan were the locations of the other three fatalities.

The number of new cases outside Hubei stood at 24, up from 5 on the previous day and reversing five days of declines. Ten of those were in Beijing.

A statement published by the Comission on Thursday, citing a meeting held the previous day, said that the situation in Hubei province and Wuhan is "still complex and serious", and added that the risk of a rebound in infection in other regions should not be overlooked.

Also, some coronavirus patients discharged from hospitals after recovery have been readmitted after testing positive again, health authorities said recently.

A health official in southern Guangdong province told state media on Wednesday that 14% of patients discharged from hospital experienced a resurgence of the virus, although they had not infected any others they had been in close contact with.

The number of new confirmed coronavirus cases in Beijing on Feb. 26 had jumped to 10 from zero the previous day. Pang Xinghuo, deputy head of Beijing Center of Disease Control, told a news briefing on Thursday that it was a cluster case.

The new cases all stemmed from a property management agency in Beijing's Chaoyang district, and had either been working in the same office or sharing the same dormitory, Pang said.

The case showed that companies were not putting in place adequate monitoring of staff during their 14-day quarantine period, Chen Bei, deputy secretary general of Beijing city government, told a briefing later on Thursday.

It has also highlighted the risks of crowded dormitories and poorly ventilated basement housing often used for some workers.

Chen said no more than six people should share basement dormitories, which should have windows. She also reiterated that people returning to Beijing must undergo a 14-day self quarantine before they're allowed to go back to work.

Chinese authorities are also turning their attention to potential sources of infection from abroad, as the number of new cases outside China now exceed those domestically.

The Shanghai government said it is trying to identify anyone who came into contact with a coronavirus patient who arrived in the city from Iran, another coronavirus hotspot.

More than 40 countries and regions outside mainland China have reported infections. On Wednesday, cases were detected for the first time in Brazil, Pakistan, Norway, Greece, Romania and Algeria. The coronavirus has infected more than 80,000 people and killed nearly 2,800, the majority in China.

A senior medical advisor in the Chinese government who won fame for combating the SARS epidemic in 2003 on Thursday said the original source of the coronavirus remains unclear.

"Though the virus was first discovered in China, it may not have originated from China," said Zhong Nanshan, an 83-year-old epidemiologist.

Zhong said he believes there are other wildlife species apart from the pangolin, which is suspected as the original source emerging from a seafood market in Wuhan that also sold wild animals, that carry coronavirus.

Zhong said China would present a video report to the European Respiratory Society to share China's experience in addressing the virus outbreak.

He again repeated an earlier forecast that the coronavirus outbreak in China will be contained by end-April after peaking in mid-to-late-February.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mainland-china-reports-433-coronavirus-014006953.html

B/A

• Thanks 1

I would like to put this Corona Virus into a little perspective compared to the swine flu epidemic of 2009.  You can make your own assumptions on the Stock Market Deline of last week, the Media hysteria ( Hollywood Elites and others who want a certain President out of Office) and the Political accusations of the last few weeks compared to what was presented to the public in 2009.   

From Wikipedia on the Swine Flu Epidemic of 2009

2009 flu pandemic in the United States

The 2009 flu pandemic in the United States was a novel strain of the Influenza A/H1N1 virus, commonly referred to as "swine flu", that began in the spring of 2009. The virus had spread to the US from an outbreak in Mexico.[116]

As of mid-March 2010, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimated that about 59 million Americans contracted the H1N1 virus, 265,000 were hospitalized as a result, and 12,000 died.[117]

HistoryEdit

The earliest reported cases in the US began appearing in late March 2009, in California,[118][119]then spread to infect people in Texas, New York, and assorted other states by mid-April. This spread continued across the country's population and by the end of May had infected citizens in all 50 states. The pattern continued through June of the same year. The total number of confirmed cases varied from 27,717[120] (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) confirmed and probable cases) and 25,453 (total of all state confirmed cases) as of June 26, 2009.

Towards the middle of June 2009, the number of US cases surpassed those of Mexico, which had been the previous leader in diagnosed cases of the disease. Toward the end of June 2009, the number of deaths related to the virus in the US surpassed those of all other countries as well.

On June 25, the CDC released information revealing that there were more than likely over one million (1,000,000) cases of the disease in the US, most of which had not been reported or diagnosed.[121][122]

Deaths relating to this new strain of influenza began appearing in the US in late April, and by early June 15, states had reported fatalities related to or directly occurring from the virus. These deaths totaled at 4,000 as of November 15, 2009. The CDC distributed a vaccine for the novel flu strain.[123] using mechanisms already in place for its Vaccines for Children (VFC) program.[124]

On October 24, 2009, President Barack Obama declared Swine Flu a national emergency in the United States. On November 12, 2009, the CDC reported an estimated 22 million Americans had been infected with 2009 A H1N1 and 4,000 Americans have died.[125] On December 10, 2009, the CDC reported an estimated 50 million Americans or 1 in 6 people had been infected with the 2009 A H1N1 Virus and 10,000 American had died, by which time the vaccine was beginning to be widely distributed to the general public by several states.[126] On December 23, 2009 the CDC reported a reduction of the disease by 59% percent and the disease was expected to end in the United States in January 2010.

On January 15, 2010, the CDC released new estimate figures for swine flu, saying it has sickened about 55 million Americans and killed about 11,160 from April through mid-December.[127] On February 12, 2010, the CDC released updated estimate figures for swine flu, reporting that, in total, 57 million Americans had been sickened, 257,000 had been hospitalised and 11,690 people had died (including 1,180 children) due to swine flu from April through to mid-January.[128]

Initial casesEdit

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) identified the first two A/09(H1N1) swine flu cases in California on April 17, 2009, via the Border Infectious Disease Program,[129] for the San Diego County child, and a naval research facility studying a special diagnostic test, where influenza sample from the child from Imperial County was tested.[130] By April 21, enhanced surveillance was established to search for additional cases in both California and Texas and the CDC determined that the virus strain was genetically similar to the previously known A(H1N1) swine flu circulating among pigs in the United States since about 1999.

It was established that the virus was a combination of human, North American swine, and Eurasian swine influenza viruses; the viruses from the initial two Californian cases were also noted to be resistant to amantadine and rimantadine, two common influenza antiviral drugs.[131] No contact with pigs was found for any of the seven Californian nor either of the two Texas cases, suggesting human-to-human transmission of the virus.

On April 28, 2009, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed the first official US death of swine flu. Tests confirmed that a 23-month-old toddler from Mexico, who was probably infected there, died on April 27 from the flu while visiting Texas.[132]

Outbreak across the USEdit
Learn more

This section needs expansion. 
260px-WhoLab18.GIF
CDC report for the 2008-2009 flu season week 18 (May 17), subtypes and percent positive tests

Cases of H1N1 spread rapidly across the United States, with particularly severe outbreaks in Texas, New York, Utah, and California. Early cases were associated with recent travel to Mexico; many were students who had traveled to Mexico for Spring Break.[133] On May 4, 2009, the CDC reported one death, 286 confirmed cases of H1N1 flu across 36 states, 35 hospitalizations, and expects H1N1 to eventually spread to all states. A large number of cases, according to medics, have happened in the days that preceded the launch of the alert and came out only in these days due to a massive backlog.[134] By May 5, 2009, the number had risen to 403[120] and a second death was reported in Texas.[135] The CDC and government officials had expressed cautious optimism about the severity and spread of H1N1.[136][137]

Changes in surveillance of cases of influenza-like illness, including new guidelines for identifying cases to test, increased laboratory testing, and new test kits able to distinguish this novel strain, resulted in a spike in the percent of cases tested positive for influenza. Of the positive cases, about a third were due to the novel strain. Also found were a substantial number of cases where the strain could not be subtyped.[138]

260px-Bigpi43%282009%29.png
Pneumonia and influenza deaths in 122 US cities, 5 years through October 2009

The proportion of US deaths due to pneumonia and influenza climbed above the epidemic threshold in the 2007–2008 winter flu season but not in the 2008–2009 season. Although the 2009 H1N1 outbreak reached epidemic levels of infection early in 2009, it did not contribute to epidemic levels of pneumonia and influenza related deaths until October 2009.

2009 US Swine Flu Summary  
Number of Confirmed Cases/Deaths See Table Above
Number of States/Territories
with Reported Cases
Number of States/Territories
with Confirmed Deaths
Earliest Confirmed Infection in US March 28, 2009[139]
First Death Inside the US April 27, 2009[132]
First Death of US Citizen May 5, 2009[140]
Number of People Hospitalized 9,079 (as of September 3)[141]
Fatalities 593 (as of September 3)[141]

The second waveEdit

Learn more

This section needs expansion. 
Learn more

This section's factual accuracy may be compromised due to out-of-date information.

In early October 2009, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced that swine flu was widespread across the country. It also said there was significant flu activity in virtually all states, which was considered to be quite unusual for this time of year. There was particular worry about pregnant women. As of late August, 100 had been hospitalized in intensive care units and 28 had died since the beginning of the outbreak in April. On October 1, it was acknowledged that a recruit in basic training in Fort Jackson, South Carolina, was the Army's first swine flu death. The recruit fell ill on September 1 and died of pneumonia on September 10.

Dell Children's Medical Center in Austin, Texas, erected two tents in its parking lot to handle emergency room visits, and hospitals around Colorado Springs recorded a 30 percent spike in flu visits. As pediatric cases were increasing, the Dept. of Health and Human Services released 300,000 courses of children's liquid Tamiflu from the national pandemic stockpile in late September, with the first batches sent to Texas and Colorado.

In late September, the disease centers reported that 936 had died of flu symptoms or of flu-associated pneumonia since August 30, when it began a new count of deaths, including some without laboratory-confirmed swine flu.[142]

The Agriculture Department reported on October 16 that three pigs at the Minnesota State Fair, in St. Paul, were tested positive in late August for H1N1 virus, which were the first cases in the country, although infected pigs had been found in eight other countries. There were 103 pigs tested at the Fair, including the three infected, though all appeared healthy. Scientists said the virus was already spreading widely among people, and, in fact, was more common in humans than in pigs, so humans were more likely to catch it from others than from pigs.[143]

In mid-October, it was reported that flu caused by the H1N1 virus was widespread in 41 states, and flu-like illnesses accounted for 6.1 percent of all doctor visits, which was considered high[citation needed], particularly for October. Forty-three children had died from H1N1 since August 30, which is approximately the number that usually dies in an entire flu season. Nineteen of the forty-three were teenagers while sixteen were between ages five to eleven. The rest were under five.[citation needed] It is reported that the severity of the disease was not increasing. About fifteen to twenty percent of the patients hospitalized for the flu were placed in the intensive care unit, a level similar to that for seasonal flu.[citation needed]

220px-BoiseH1N1VaccinationClinic5578.JPG
High-risk groups line up at a defunct Kmart on October 24, 2009 for the first H1N1 vaccines publicly available in Boise, Idaho.

Projections of the supply of H1N1 vaccine had decreased significantly from a level of 120 million doses ready in October, estimated during the summer, to an estimate of 28 to 30 million doses by the end of the month. On October 14, 11.4 million doses of the H1N1 vaccine were said to be available. As of November 20, 2009, the CDC reported sharp declines in H1N1 activity throughout the United States, with influenza-like illness (which may also include meningitis, pneumonia, strep pharyngitis, gastroenteritis, and the common cold) accounting for 5.5% of doctors visits, down sharply from 8% in late October, the peak of the second wave. However, taking the vaccine is still urged by the CDC, as a third wave of the disease may sweep across the US, possibly in January/February 2010.[144] as of December 24, the second wave of H1N1 has clearly peaked, with pneumonia and influenza deaths falling below the epidemic threshold for the first time in 11 weeks, and the proportion of doctors visits do to influenza-like illness falling to baseline (2.3%), down from 5.5% 1 month before, on November 20.however, it was reported that influenza activity was beginning to increase in West Virginia, with 5.2% of patients treated by West Virginia health care providers having influenza-like illness, a major increase from 2% of patients treated by West Virginia health care providers having influenza-like illness in November.

Flu strain severityEdit
220px-IPD40.GIF
Influenza-associated pediatric deaths reported to CDC, from 2005–06 to start of 2009–2010

The new strain was identified as a combination of several different strains of Influenzavirus A, subtype H1N1, including separate strains of this subtype circulating in humans (see human influenza) and in pigs (see swine influenza). The strain transmits between humans and was initially reported to have a relatively high mortality rate in Mexico. The World Health Organization (WHO) and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have expressed serious concerns that the new strain has the potential to become an influenza pandemic.[145]It is reported that, because the virus is already widespread, containment will be impossible.[146]

In addition, the flu death toll in Mexico could be lower than first thought, Gerald Evans, head of the Association of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Disease Canada and a member of a federal pandemic-planning committee, said on April 29:[147]

There was a lot of speculation and what seemed to be evidence there were dozens and dozens of deaths. Careful analysis showed these people likely died of something else, and not influenza. That's really good news, and that would fit with what we've seen outside of Mexico.

Moreover, another Canadian expert, Neil Rau, criticized the WHO's decision to raise its Pandemic alert to level 5, saying:[148]

I don't agree with (the WHO) because I think it's a panic metre, not a pandemic metre. [...] If that flu-like illness is not deadly, I don't know what the cause for alarm is for people who are not really sickened by this virus. [...] I'm really eager to know how much worse this is than seasonal flu. So far it's looking like it's not that serious.

CNN stated on April 28, 2009 that there were at least 800 deaths in the U.S. due to normal influenza in each individual week between January 1 and April 18, which is higher than the combined worldwide death toll for the swine flu.[149]

As of November 19, 2009, the official death toll attributed directly to the novel H1N1 and seasonal influenza was 877.[150] This total exceeds the 849 deaths directly attributed to seasonal influenza in 2006.[151] Many of the other deaths commonly attributed to influenza are caused by complicated influenza, where a second infection causes death, usually pneumonia (of which 48,657 of 55,477 official deaths in 2006 occurred in people aged 65 years and older)[151][152]

ResponseEdit
300px-FedFluPandemicResponse.png
Congruent U.S. Government and WHO Pandemic Response Charts.

The Federal response remains at US Pandemic Stage 0, congruent with the World Health Organization (WHO) Pandemic Phases 1, 2 and 3;[153][154] however, the WHO's Pandemic Phase was raised to 4 on April 27, which is congruent with US Pandemic Stage 2.[155] On April 29, the WHO raised the pandemic alert level to phase 5.[156]

The United States federal government declared a public health emergency, and several U.S. states have indicated they may follow suit. Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitanonoted that this declaration was standard operating procedure, which was also done for the 2009 presidential inauguration and for flooding.[157]

After many days of deliberation the WHO declared that the current influenza had become a true pandemic, raising the Pandemic Alert level to Phase 6, the highest on the WHO scale and congruent with U.S. Federal Government Response Stages 3–6.[158]

White HouseEdit

250px-A_nurse_vaccinates_Barack_Obama_ag
Barack Obama being vaccinated on Dec. 20, 2009.

An official for the White House said on April 24 that "the White House is taking the situation seriously and monitoring for any new developments. The president has been fully briefed."[159] President Barack Obama stated that "We are closely monitoring the emerging cases of swine flu". He also noted, "This is obviously a cause for concern ... but it is not a cause for alarm".[160] President Obama suggested that U.S. schools should consider shutting down, as a future possibility, if their students were to become infected.[161] White House Press Secretary, Robert Gibbs said the effort to get a team in place to respond to the health scare has not been hindered by the lack of a secretary of Health and Human Services or appointees in any of the department's 19 key posts.[162] The president's nominee, Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius, was still awaiting confirmation from the U.S. Senate until passing on April 28. The President has not yet made appointments to either the Commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration, the Surgeon General, or the Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.[162] The current acting Surgeon General, Steven K. Galson, is also currently serving as the Acting Assistant Secretary for Health.[163]

250px-Kathleen_Sebelius_in_HHS_meeting_4
Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius in a meeting in the Situation Room of the White House regarding the H1N1 virus.

On April 30, it was reported that an aide to Steven Chu, the US Energy Secretary, had fallen ill from the virus after helping arrange President Barack Obama's trip to Mexico.[164] However, the White House stated that the President is not at risk of obtaining the flu.[164]Kathleen Sebelius was confirmed as the Secretary of Health and Human Services by the Senate on April 28, 2009 with a vote of 65–31.[165][166]

Wikinews has related news: Obama declares swine flu emergency in US

On October 24, President Obama declared the 2009 H1N1 swine flu a national emergency.[167] The declaration will make it easier for U.S. medical facilities to handle a surge in flu patients by allowing the waiver of some requirements of Medicare, Medicaid and other federal health insurance programs as needed.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)Edit

In this video, Joe Bresee, with CDC's Influenza Division, describes the symptoms of swine flu and warning signs to look for that indicate the need for urgent medical attention. 
See also: See this video with subtitles in YouTube
Activation of Emergency Operations Center

During the week of April 19, the CDC activated its Emergency Operations Center (EOC), with RADM Stephen Redd as the Incident Commander, to augment the ongoing investigation of human cases of swine influenza A (H1N1).[168] More than 250 CDC professionals are working from the CDC EOC as part of the agency's response.[169] As of May 4, 2009, the CDC reported that it had deployed 25% of the supplies and medicines in the Strategic National Stockpile to the various states.[170]

Swine Flu Test Kits

As of April 29, only the CDC could confirm U.S. swine flu cases.[171]Besser stated during an April 30 press briefing that California and New York had diagnostic test kits, and that the kits would be sent to all states starting the following day.[172] On May 6, the CDC announced that testing kits were now available for all states. This is expected to generate an increase in the number of confirmed cases as more states begin doing their own tests.[173]

Influenza Reporting Requirements

In the United States, the majority of the 70 National Respiratory and Enteric Virus Surveillance System (NREVSS) laboratories do not report the influenza A subtype.

However, in 2007, human infection with a novel influenzavirus A became a nationally notifiable condition. Novel influenza A virus infections include all human infections with influenza A viruses that are different from currently circulating human influenza H1 and H3 viruses. These viruses include those that are subtyped as nonhuman in origin and those that are unsubtypable with standard methods and reagents.[174] The new strain responsible for this outbreak was one such virus.

CDC Recommendations for Schools

Initially the CDC had issued a recommendation that schools close for as long as two weeks if a student catches swine flu.[175] Some school districts closed all schools if a single child was classified as probable.[133] On May 5 the CDC retracted its advice stating that schools that were closed based on previous CDC guidance related to this outbreak may reopen.[176] By that time at least 726 schools nationwide serving more than 480,000 students had closed for at least some period of time.[175] The CDC amended its advice citing, new information on disease severity and the limiting effectiveness of school closure as a control measure.[176] The new advice given stated, "Decisions about school closure should be at the discretion of local authorities based on local considerations, including public concern and the impact of school absenteeism and staffing shortages."[176]

Food and Drug AdministrationEdit

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) authorized emergency use of medicines and diagnostic tests for flu. (FDA is part of Department of Health and Human Services.)[177] The FDA stated it is also responding to this threat by:

• working with other government agencies and manufacturers on a series of issues related to antiviral medications.
  • growing the 2009 H1N1 flu virus and preparing to make vaccine seed lots, which may be used eventually to produce a safe and effective vaccine.
  • helping to prepare reagents needed for vaccine production and coordinating closely with other public health agencies for clinical development and testing.
  • accelerating access to new diagnostic tools for this 2009 H1N1 flu virus[178]

On May 6, 2009, the FDA announced that it had approved a new manufacturing facility for seasonal flu vaccine, owned by Sanofi Pasteur, which could also be used for manufacturing a vaccine for the new H1N1 flu strain.[179] The FDA also issued a warning for consumers to be wary of products claiming to cure or prevent swine flu.[180]

300px-H1N1_USA_Map_by_confirmed_deaths.s
  0 deaths
  1+ deaths
  5+ deaths
  20+ deaths

Other federal agenciesEdit

Department of Homeland Security

Secretary Napolitano stated that DHS is the principal federal office for incidents such as the current H1N1 flu outbreak, and "Under that role, we have been leading a true collaborative effort."[181] The Department of Homeland Security has a document, dated November 1, 2005, entitled "National Strategy for Pandemic Influenza", detailing planning for potential pandemics. https://web.archive.org/web/20090507013213/http://www.pandemicflu.gov/plan/federal/pandemic-influenza.pdf

State Department

The State Department suggested travelers to Mexico stay alert and comply with guidance from Mexican public health officials, but did not impose any travel restrictions on US citizens to Mexico.[182] However, the State Department did recommend US citizens avoid non-essential travel to Mexico.[183]

Department of Agriculture

The Department of Agriculture (USDA) reported no swine in the US have been infected so far, but the USDA is monitoring swine across the US for signs of infection.[184]

Department of Commerce

The Department of Commerce sent a letter to Russia and China requesting that those countries lift their ban on American pork products.[185]

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DOD) is monitoring the swine flu situation and has contingency plans to deal with such outbreaks.[186] As of May 7, 2009, the DOD reports 104 confirmed cases among Armed Forces personnel and their families. DOD maintains a daily summary and map.[187]

Department of Education

The Department of Education is providing guidance to schools in the US affected by swine flu, as well as precautions to take.[188]

State and localEdit

Schools closed in many states in response to local flu outbreaks. By April 30, 2009, 300 U.S. schools and school districts had announced closures in response to the outbreak, giving 169,000 students time off.[189] On May 4, 2009, about 533 schools in 24 states in the U.S. were closed, affecting about 330,000 students.[190] On September 25, 2009, 42 schools were closed in eight states as the second wave of the pandemic began.[191]

On May 5, Kathleen Sebelius stated in a CDC news conference that school closures for single confirmed cases of H1N1 influenza were unnecessary, but that parents keep their child home if he or she displays an influenza-like illness.[192]

Travel industryEdit

Several US airlines waived fees for cancellations and flight changes.[193] At least one cruise line changed itinerary to avoid Mexican ports of call.[194]

SummaryEdit

[citation needed]

2009 A(H1N1) Outbreak and pandemic milestones
28 March United States First case in the US of what would later be identified as swine flu origin.
21 April California First case confirmed in California.
23 April Texas First case confirmed in Texas.
25 April Kansas First case confirmed in Kansas.
United States Community outbreaks confirmed in the United States.
26 April New York (state) First case confirmed in New York.
Ohio First case confirmed in Ohio.
28 April Indiana First case confirmed in Indiana.
29 April Texas First non-US citizen death confirmed in Texas.
Nevada First case confirmed in Nevada.
Arizona First case confirmed in Arizona.
Maine First case confirmed in Maine.
Massachusetts First case confirmed in Massachusetts.
Michigan First case confirmed in Michigan.
30 April Nebraska First case confirmed in Nebraska.
South Carolina First case confirmed in South Carolina.
Minnesota First case confirmed in Minnesota.
Colorado First case confirmed in Colorado.
Virginia First case confirmed in Virginia.
Kentucky First case confirmed in Kentucky.
New Jersey First case confirmed in New Jersey.
1 May Florida First case confirmed in Florida.
Missouri First case confirmed in Missouri.
Connecticut First case confirmed in Connecticut.
Delaware First case confirmed in Delaware.
2 May New Mexico First case confirmed in New Mexico.
Utah First case confirmed in Utah.
New Hampshire First case confirmed in New Hampshire.
Rhode Island First case confirmed in Rhode Island.
Iowa First case confirmed in Iowa.
Wisconsin First case confirmed in Wisconsin.
Alabama First case confirmed in Alabama.
3 May Idaho First case confirmed in Idaho.
Pennsylvania First case confirmed in Pennsylvania.
Louisiana First case confirmed in Louisiana.
North Carolina First case confirmed in North Carolina.
Tennessee First case confirmed in Tennessee.
4 May Oregon First case confirmed in Oregon.
Georgia (U.S. state) First case confirmed in Georgia.
Maryland First case confirmed in Maryland.
5 May Washington (state) First case confirmed in Washington.
Oklahoma First case confirmed in Oklahoma.
Hawaii First case confirmed in Hawaii.
Texas First US citizen death confirmed in Texas.
6 May Washington, D.C. First case confirmed in District of Columbia.
7 May South Dakota First case confirmed in South Dakota.
8 May Vermont First case confirmed in Vermont.
Arkansas First case confirmed in Arkansas.
9 May Washington (state) First death confirmed in Washington.
11 May Montana First case confirmed in Montana.
13 May North Dakota First case confirmed in North Dakota.
14 May Arizona First death confirmed in Arizona.
15 May Mississippi First case confirmed in Mississippi.
17 May New York (state) First death confirmed in New York.
19 May Missouri First death confirmed in Missouri.
20 May Utah First death confirmed in Utah.
25 May Illinois First death confirmed in Illinois.
26 May Puerto Rico First case confirmed in Puerto Rico.
27 May Wyoming First case confirmed in Wyoming.
Alaska First case confirmed in Alaska.
2 June West Virginia First case confirmed in West Virginia. All 50 states have confirmed H1N1.
Virginia First death confirmed in Virginia.
3 June Michigan First death confirmed in Michigan.
Connecticut First death confirmed in Connecticut.
4 June California First death confirmed in California.
5 June Pennsylvania First death confirmed in Pennsylvania.
Wisconsin First death confirmed in Wisconsin.
8 June Oregon First death confirmed in Oregon.
Oklahoma First death confirmed in Oklahoma.
15 June New Jersey First death confirmed in New Jersey.
Massachusetts First death confirmed in Massachusetts.
Minnesota First death confirmed in Minnesota.
16 June Florida First death confirmed in Florida.
Rhode Island First death confirmed in Rhode Island.
United States Virgin Islands First case confirmed in US Virgin Islands.
23 June Maryland First death confirmed in Maryland.
24 June North Carolina First death confirmed in North Carolina.
26 June American Samoa First case confirmed in American Samoa.
29 June Hawaii First death confirmed in Hawaii.
1 July Guam First case confirmed in Guam.
6 July Ohio First death confirmed in Ohio.
Nevada First death confirmed in Nevada.
10 July Indiana First death confirmed in Indiana.
Georgia (U.S. state) First death confirmed in Georgia.
15 July Nebraska First death confirmed in Nebraska.
Tennessee First death confirmed in Tennessee.
20 July Guam First death confirmed in Guam.
21 July Northern Mariana Islands First case confirmed in Northern Mariana Islands.
27 July Alaska First death confirmed in Alaska.
29 July Alabama First death confirmed in Alabama.
Colorado First death confirmed in Colorado.
3 August Iowa First death confirmed in Iowa.
6 August Kansas First death confirmed in Kansas.
Montana First death confirmed in Montana.
Mississippi First death confirmed in Mississippi.
8 August Arkansas First death confirmed in Arkansas.
10 August New Mexico First death confirmed in New Mexico.
13 August Maine First death confirmed in Maine.
Louisiana First death confirmed in Louisiana.
14 August United States First case of Oseltamivir (Tamiflu) resistance confirmed.
17 August New Hampshire First death confirmed in New Hampshire.
19 August Wyoming First death confirmed in Wyoming.
28 August South Carolina First death confirmed in South Carolina.
2 September United States Virgin Islands First death confirmed in US Virgin Islands.
3 September Kentucky First death confirmed in Kentucky.
4 September West Virginia First death confirmed in West Virginia.
10 September United States First Oseltamivir (Tamiflu) resistance spread from person to personconfirmed.
28 September Idaho First death confirmed in Idaho.
2 October South Dakota First death confirmed in South Dakota.
22 October Delaware First death confirmed in Delaware.
26 October North Dakota First death confirmed in North Dakota.
28 October Vermont First death confirmed in Vermont. All 50 states have confirmed H1N1 deaths.
4 November Iowa First feline zoonosis confirmed in Iowa.
19 November American Samoa First death confirmed in American Samoa.
Oregon First feline death confirmed in Oregon.
24 November West Virginia First double infection case confirmed in West Virginia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic_in_the_United_States

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

You cannot compare coronavirus to the flu!!!  The flu figures you are quoting are for 2 year.  Cornavirus has been tracked for less than 2 months.   Also, it has a fairly long incubation period - 14 to 21 days, and is just now spreading worldwide.  It started in China so China has the vast majority of deaths and infections.  But pretty much everyone agrees that China is grossly under-reporting the true figures.  Currently, people estimate that the true numbers are  10 to 50 times higher than China reports,.  follow Jennifer Zeng on twitter, she's Chinese but living in the US and has many contacts in China.  You will be shocked and deeplly disturbed by the videos she posts.  It is really, really bad, and much more serious that the Chinese Communist Party is reporting.   

But, even if you annualize China's reported numbers (the ones we know are much less than the actual ones), deaths are still higher than the flu..  China reports  2,915 deaths of of March 2nd.  So since it's been less than 2 months that China has been tracking it, let's round that 2,915 numbe up to 3,000 even for 2 months.  3,000 deaths every 2 months would be 18,000 per year.  And that doesn't include any other country where it's just now establishing a foothold!  

This is not a natural virus, it was created in a lab and has HIV proteases that make it extremely contageous.  Scientists all around the world are working fervently to find a way to stop it.  I hope they will be successful soon.  But the rapid spread and high mortality rate make this something differnt than the world has ever seen before.  I encourage everone with a family to make some preparations for it.  

• Thanks 2

If it was created they have a cure or vaccine already.

You don't put something together without knowing what parts you used.

Maybe it was the Chinese Governments way to suppress the demonstrations???

Just an opinion from an inventor of things. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

I apologize if my post was interpreted to be directly comparing Corona to Swine.  Of course Corona is it’s own beast and extremely contagious and dangerous.  From what I have read and heard Corona was indeed brought to China from a Canadian Lab. I don’t know if China weaponized it but it wouldn’t be surprising considering the Chinese Military have talked about doing that to hurt America for years.  

I’m a Stock Market trader and the timing of this outbreak is extremly suspicious and the way it is being presented to inflict the highest degree of fear and panic is also very disturbing.  One of the reasons the market bounced back up today was because of a report that stated that the death rate should be much lower than the 3-4% death rate that was first expected by catching the Corona Virus.  Three companies that are working on vaccines are Gilead ( success with an HIV drug), Regeneron, and Moderna, stock symbols, Gild, REGN, and MRNA.  It will take 8 months to over a year to develop a vaccine from what I’ve read.  

I agree Kristi D all should be prepared, prepared for business and school closings and so much more.  One must be prepared to weather a financial storm and be prepared to hunker down at home which means you must have plenty of food.  The hardest part for me is the lack of truthful information, the uncertainty, and exactly what is this horrible pandemic in the making.  The CDC even said today that the Virus is so new and they are still learning about it.  Wow, very scary indeed.  

I appreciate your posts Kristi, keep up the great work of keeping us informed.  

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, Pitcher said:

It will take 8 months to over a year to develop a vaccine from what I’ve read.

I saw an article about a week ago about a company that had created the vaccine...

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/california-lab-coronavirus-vaccine-3-hours

Published February 13

California lab says it discovered coronavirus vaccine in 3 hours

Oh and he picture above, proves that the Corona Virus has been around and known for a while.

• Thanks 1

Coronavirus essential guide: From home hygiene, to schools, food and friends, all the information you need to know to minimise your risk of catching the illness

Does handwashing really work?

Yes. A new study published by the highly-respected Cochrane Database which summarises and interprets numerous studies says that handwashing cuts the chances of contracting a respiratory illness such as coronavirus by 54 per cent – the best odds of any deterrent.

So wash your hands – scrubbing every bit of skin from your wrist downwards – at every opportunity for at least 20 seconds (or for however long it takes to sing Happy Birthday in your head twice).

Read the entire article blow

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8067521/Coronavirus-home-hygiene-schools-food-friends-essential-information-need.html

Edited by Markinsa
Moved from Powerball Post...
  • Upvote 1

That was going to be my question with the Lysol pic Markinsa, thanks for clearing. So it's been known. 

I agree to always be prepared for the worst but be careful of disinformation. The hospital I work at has 

no more cases of it. Other news outlets will try and create panic. Stay the course 🙏

• Upvote 1

We had some news here yesterday.  They had someone in quarantine and released them into the city.  The patient went to one of our popular local mall for two hours.  :facepalm2:

Everything we know about the coronavirus, public health emergency in San Antonio Concern grows as city, county officials declare public health emergency

• Upvote 1

Yes. saw that in the news. closed the whole damn mall I heard. someone dropped the ball. although, I see more flu cases come in and people openly

coughing with no masks, get released and later see sick people at Target or HEB walking around spreading germs. people just don't get it (most People).

Avoid high density areas of crowds.

7 hours ago, wildeman said:

Yes. saw that in the news. closed the whole damn mall I heard. someone dropped the ball. although, I see more flu cases come in and people openly

coughing with no masks, get released and later see sick people at Target or HEB walking around spreading germs. people just don't get it (most People).

Avoid high density areas of crowds.

3 days ago at the grocery store I saw a lady in the produce area looking at the grapes. The grapes are bagged into bunches much like I’m sure your stores do it. So as she passes she reaches into 5 or 6 bags to squeeze a couple of grapes. Then walked away without choosing any grapes. Ok! Ok!... fruits and vegetables are always in open displays so no big deal right!?  ( wash your farm goods). So I’m not a hygiene freak but I do work in an environment that exposes all the bad habits that humans exhibit. It seems to be not common practice to wash your hands after any personal event. Maybe not such a big deal for yourself but think about all the things you touch that other people touch to do the same habits that you do( door knobs). It’s no wonder things spread the way they do. When you’re around people wash your hands often and don’t touch your face. This is keep me fairly safe in the environment I work  in for the last decade. I have not had to call in sick for 10 years and I have to work with the most disgusting people the county has to offer in close proximity. So wash your hands and don’t touch your face and you’ll be fine. 

• Upvote 1