Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Senate passes Iran War Powers resolution despite Trump's opposition

ametad

Updated 2:26 PM EST February 13, 2020
Washington

The Senate passed an Iran War Powers resolution on Thursday, a rare measure that was approved with bipartisan support despite the fact that it has been opposed by President Donald Trump and aims to rein in his ability to use military action against Iran without congressional approval.

The vote was 55-45. Eight Republicans voted in favor of it: Lamar Alexander of Tennessee, Todd Young of Indiana, Mike Lee of Utah, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, Susan Collins of Maine, Rand Paul of Kentucky, Bill Cassidy of Louisiana and Jerry Moran of Kansas.

The President warned the Senate not to green-light the measure on Wednesday, tweeting that "it is very important for our country's security that the United States Senate not vote for the Iran War Powers Resolution," and adding, "If my hands were tied, Iran would have a field day."

The White House has also issued a veto threat against it.

Despite that, the resolution, chiefly authored by Democratic Sen. Tim Kaine of Virginia, won bipartisan support. Several Republican senators, including Lee, Paul and Collins, signed on as co-sponsors.

Earlier on Thursday, potential problems threatened to derail the resolution ahead of an the final vote, with Senate Democrats warning that an amendment filed late Wednesday by GOP Sen. Tom Cotton -- that Democrats described as a poison pill -- could draw enough support to pass and possibly make it difficult for the underlying bipartisan War Powers Resolution to maintain majority support.

Ultimately, however, the Senate defeated the controversial amendment, clearing the way for final passage. The Senate voted to table -- or kill -- the amendment.

The resolution "directs the President to terminate the use of United States Armed Forces for hostilities against the Islamic Republic of Iran or any part of its government or military, unless explicitly authorized by a declaration of war or specific authorization for use of military force against Iran."

It includes a provision stating that no part of the resolution "shall be construed to prevent the United States from defending itself from imminent attack."

Despite some Republican support in the Senate, however, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has strongly opposed the measure, which is unlikely to win enough votes for a veto-proof majority.

Lee argued during a news conference on Wednesday that the resolution is not at odds with the President's foreign policy agenda and objectives.

"I support what the President is doing with our foreign policy," Lee said, adding, "For me, this is about supporting President Trump in his foreign policy, in his effort to make sure that we don't get involved too easily, too quickly, in an unconstitutional way, in any war. This is entirely consistent with his policy."

Kaine argued Wednesday that the resolution is "not directed toward President Trump, it would apply equally to any President," adding, "It's fundamentally about Congress owning up to and taking responsibility for the most significant decision that we should ever have to make."

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, however, argued on Tuesday that passage in the House and Senate will send a warning to the White House, even if the President vetoes the measure.

"It sends a shot across his bow that the majority of the Senate and the majority of the House do not want the President waging war without congressional approval," he said.

Debate on the Iran war powers resolution comes in the wake of a divisive impeachment trial in the Senate, which temporarily put consideration of the measure on hold as it stalled other legislative business while the proceedings -- which ended in acquittal of the President -- played out.

Kaine introduced the war powers resolution last month following the President's decision to order a strike that killed Iranian commander Qasem Soleimani.

The House passed a similar resolution last month, but since the structure and text of the Senate resolution is not identical, the War Powers resolution introduced by Kaine would need to be voted on by the House after it gets a Senate vote before going to the President's desk.

This story has been updated with additional developments Thursday.

https://apple.news/A_GGcv7dHQHaPsoQ6cfzBdA

• Thanks 4
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, ametad said:

Funny how I get a negative for simply posting an article. No commentary or personal opinion. 

I guess someone is upset with the reality of congressional matters.

Consider yourself honored to receive a " ruby" citation here! Many of our greatest members have received them! Don't take it personally! WH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, ametad said:

Funny how I get a negative for simply posting an article. No commentary or personal opinion. 

I guess someone is upset with the reality of congressional matters.

Post On Ametad - We’ve Got Way More Green Mint Juleps Flowing Than Anybody’s Got Red Hemorrhoids ! :o 

:D  :D  :D 

The Senate approves a draft resolution barring Trump from launching military actions against Iran 

111494.jpg?watermark=4

Politics 02/13/2020 19:17 392     

Baghdad today - follow up 

Today, Thursday, with the approval of the US Senate, the media reported that a draft resolution would be banned to prevent US President Donald Trump from launching military actions against Iran. 

Earlier, the US Senate discussed the draft resolution submitted by the Democrats, and limits the authority of President Donald Trump to go to war with Iran, with the possibility of passing the resolution after the Republicans joined forces with the Democrats in the draft resolution.

The decision to restrict the military authority was voted early Thursday morning, amid concerns about Trump's intention to start an open military conflict with Tehran without consulting the US Congress. 

If passed, the decision would be an embarrassment to the US president, who was counting on the strong majority of Republicans in the Senate to block legislation that he had not previously approved. 

Trump is expected to veto the new resolution, while the Senate on Wednesday warned against not voting on the resolution and toppling it, and not restricting his policy options.

Trump commented: "It is extremely important for our country's security that the US Senate not vote in favor of the decision to restrict the option of war with Iran. We are doing a very good job in our dealings with Iran, and this is not the time to show weakness. If my hands are tied with regard to such a thing, The matter will be a victory for Iran, and it will send a very bad signal about us. The Democrats are doing this as an attempt to embarrass the Republican Party only. "

Last January, the Democrat-controlled US House of Representatives issued its own version of the resolution, after Trump ordered the assassination of a prominent Iranian general, Qasim Soleimani, and the Revolutionary Guard responded with missile attacks targeting US bases, which increased tensions and raised fears of a devastating war Between the two strong opponents.

Democratic Senator Tim Kane, the presenter of the Senate resolution, said it aims to prevent war unilaterally, adding that "Congress must reaffirm our constitutional role in matters of war and peace."

LINK

• Thanks 3

I wonder if THIS is Insanian Mu lah lah's testing THEIR "fate" due to the Senate War Powers Resolution PROPOSING to "limit" THEE True The United States Of America Patriot President Donald J Trump FROM "taking" "action" AGAINST Insanian Mu lah lah's TERRORIST ACTIONS.

Good Luck With THAT!!!

Buh Bye Insanian Mu lah lahs!!!

:wave:   :wave:   :wave:

Katyusha rocket landed inside the "K1" base in Kirkuk

I do NOT think the Senate War Powers could mitigate "prompt" responses to OBVIOUS terrorist actions AGAINST The United States Of America Troops!!!

But WHY, pray tell, make ANOTHER "legislative" "mess" WITH THEE Senate War Powers Act???!!!

Go Moola Nova!

:pirateship:

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

It amazes me how the dems will almost sell out their own country for the sake of Iran. Does Iran have dirt on them? Do the dems just hate Trump that much? Or did Iran pay for services thinking they were getting Obummer number two with Hillarious and it went terribly wrong for both Iran and the dems. I think its all of the above.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, jmartin1145 said:

It amazes me how the dems will almost sell out their own country for the sake of Iran. Does Iran have dirt on them? Do the dems just hate Trump that much? Or did Iran pay for services thinking they were getting Obummer number two with Hillarious and it went terribly wrong for both Iran and the dems. I think its all of the above.

:twothumbs: Great Points, JMartin1145, AND ALL The Very Best!!! :tiphat:

Let's NOT forget how THIS ALL "got" "started" in the late 1970's. Could it REALLY be a MASSIVELY LARGER SCALE THAN UKRAINE WITH THEE SAME, AT LEAST "type" OF "actors", DOING THEE SAME THINGS???!!!

WHO, pray tell, "complains" ABOUT "actions" "confronting" THEE Insanians???!!!

Same "hands" IN THEE "cookie" "jar"???!!!

OFF WITH THEIR HEADS LEGACY ACTORS INCLUDED!!!

Go Moola Nova!

:pirateship:

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1