Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Snow in Baghdad

climber7

Iraq sees snow in Baghdad for first time in over a decade

Iraq's capital of Baghdad awoke on Tuesday to a sight not seen in over a decade — their city covered in snow.

It was a rare moment of respite during which residents took selfies and children played in parks, lobbing snowballs before the fluffy flakes disappeared and the white cover dissolved into gray puddles.

Fresh snow falls in Tahrir Square while anti-government protesters stage a sit-in in Baghdad, Iraq, Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2020.

Fresh snow falls in Tahrir Square while anti-government protesters stage a sit-in in Baghdad, Iraq, Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2020. (AP Photo/Hadi Mizban)

Iraq has grappled with months of unrest, beginning with an anti-government protest movement that engulfed the country in October, and the U.S. killing of a top Iranian general in Baghdad in early January, which brought the region close to war amid soaring U.S.-Iran tensions.

Over 500 people have died in the protests as security forces used live rounds and tear gas to disperse crowds in Baghdad and southern Iraq. The movement is entering a critical phase, after influential Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr, who initially threw his weight behind demonstrators, withdrew it. Tensions have since seethed between protesters and al-Sadr's followers.

Iraqi children play in the snow in Baghdad, Iraq, Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2020.

Iraqi children play in the snow in Baghdad, Iraq, Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2020. (AP Photo/Ali Abdul Hassan)

In the city's central Tahrir Square, the epicenter of the protest movement, protesters took a moment to observe the snowfall and dusted the flakes off their sit-in tents.

Fresh snow falls while motorists drive through Abu Nawas street in central Baghdad, Iraq, Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2020.

Fresh snow falls while motorists drive through Abu Nawas street in central Baghdad, Iraq, Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2020. (AP Photo/Hadi Mizban)

“Thank God it is snowing this morning,” said Aymen Ahmed, a protester. "The atmosphere is beautiful ... the people are very happy because this is the first time snow falls in Iraq.”

A man walks on a road while it snows in Baghdad, Iraq, Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2020.

A man walks on a road while it snows in Baghdad, Iraq, Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2020. (AP Photo/Hadi Mizban)

Annual snowfall is common in the mountainous northern region of Iraq, but very rare in Baghdad. The last time the capital saw snow was in 2008.

By midday, the snow had melted in most parts of the city. “It was a beautiful moment,” said Mariam, another protester. She gave only her first name, fearing reprisals like most anti-government protesters.

People play in the fresh snow in Baghdad, Iraq, Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2020.

People play in the fresh snow in Baghdad, Iraq, Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2020. (AP Photo/Ali Abdul Hassan)

“Now life goes back to normal

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

Iraq sees snow in Baghdad for first time in over a decade

Iraq's capital of Baghdad awoke on Tuesday to a sight not seen in over a decade — their city covered in snow.

It was a rare moment of respite during which residents took selfies and children played in parks, lobbing snowballs before the fluffy flakes disappeared and the white cover dissolved into gray puddles.

Fresh snow falls in Tahrir Square while anti-government protesters stage a sit-in in Baghdad, Iraq, Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2020.

Fresh snow falls in Tahrir Square while anti-government protesters stage a sit-in in Baghdad, Iraq, Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2020. (AP Photo/Hadi Mizban)

Iraq has grappled with months of unrest, beginning with an anti-government protest movement that engulfed the country in October, and the U.S. killing of a top Iranian general in Baghdad in early January, which brought the region close to war amid soaring U.S.-Iran tensions.

Over 500 people have died in the protests as security forces used live rounds and tear gas to disperse crowds in Baghdad and southern Iraq. The movement is entering a critical phase, after influential Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr, who initially threw his weight behind demonstrators, withdrew it. Tensions have since seethed between protesters and al-Sadr's followers.

Iraqi children play in the snow in Baghdad, Iraq, Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2020.

Iraqi children play in the snow in Baghdad, Iraq, Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2020. (AP Photo/Ali Abdul Hassan)

In the city's central Tahrir Square, the epicenter of the protest movement, protesters took a moment to observe the snowfall and dusted the flakes off their sit-in tents.

Fresh snow falls while motorists drive through Abu Nawas street in central Baghdad, Iraq, Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2020.

Fresh snow falls while motorists drive through Abu Nawas street in central Baghdad, Iraq, Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2020. (AP Photo/Hadi Mizban)

“Thank God it is snowing this morning,” said Aymen Ahmed, a protester. "The atmosphere is beautiful ... the people are very happy because this is the first time snow falls in Iraq.”

A man walks on a road while it snows in Baghdad, Iraq, Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2020.

A man walks on a road while it snows in Baghdad, Iraq, Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2020. (AP Photo/Hadi Mizban)

Annual snowfall is common in the mountainous northern region of Iraq, but very rare in Baghdad. The last time the capital saw snow was in 2008.

By midday, the snow had melted in most parts of the city. “It was a beautiful moment,” said Mariam, another protester. She gave only her first name, fearing reprisals like most anti-government protesters.

People play in the fresh snow in Baghdad, Iraq, Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2020.

People play in the fresh snow in Baghdad, Iraq, Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2020. (AP Photo/Ali Abdul Hassan)

“Now life goes back to normal

Thanks for the follow up 👍

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

I like this interpretation from  Reference.com

Melting snow can be used to symbolize a new beginning or the end of hardships. Because snow covers everything and changes a familiar landscape into something new, it can be associated with transformation. For instance, snow is often used to depict a life-changing situation.

Amen! Life Changing! Sounds like an RV to me!!!!

• Like 6
  • Upvote 4

50 minutes ago, NoviceInvestor said:

The snow will melt - The sun will shine - and BS Train will roll on.

50 minutes ago, NoviceInvestor said:

The snow will melt - The sun will shine - and BS Train will roll on.

BS train? I thought I was on the RV train. Darn it. I need a transfer ticket. No wonder I haven't been able to cash in yet. I took the wrong dang train!

Let it snow. Let it snow!!!!

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, Starrider said:

Yes it does snow in h-ell.

Starr

8 hours ago, horsesoldier said:

Yep... Hell can & does freeze 🥶 over now and again.

Oh damn!! :eek:  Does this mean I have to get married again?  My favorite saying over many years

was when hell freezes over and or I have a snowball fight with the devil  :lmao:

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, nannab said:

Oh damn!! :eek:  Does this mean I have to get married again?  My favorite saying over many years

was when hell freezes over and or I have a snowball fight with the devil  :lmao:

Hold out for the " snowball fight with the devil " before you make any " gettin' hitched " plans.

Besides which; I'd bone up on your Fastball and a wicked Change Up with a genuine MLB Authorized Baseball. Comes time for that Snowball fight with the Devil, He'll never see the stitches on that Fast (snow) ball when it hits.

No getting' hitched. :tiphat:

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, GregHi said:

According to my friend the Iraqis in Baghdad enjoyed the snow and took it as a sign or peace! Glad they had a positive experience for once.

Come to Canada then if they really want to see

snow does not bring peace

brings shovels frostbite cold 

hard to vaccum a igloo I tell ya

• Haha 6

Kurdistan

Heavy snowfall in Kurdistan Region blocks border crossing, main roads

February 13-2020     10:53 PM

Heavy snowfall in Kurdistan Region blocks border crossing, main roads
Snow covers the Kurdistan Region's border town of Haji Omaran, Feb. 13, 2020. (Photo: Kurdistan 24)

ERBIL (Kurdistan 24) – The main road at the Fishkhabour international border crossing in the province of Duhok has been blocked due to unusually heavy snowfall that has covered most cities in the Kurdistan Region, as well as several others southward in Iraq where snow is rarely seen.

Local sources reported that transportation has been closed due to snow accumulation, stopping travelers and transport of goods between the Kurdistan Region and Syria.

The Fishkhabour border crossing is located on the Tigris River in Zakho district, 85 km west of Duhok city. It was established in 1991 and remains a key gateway connecting the Kurdistan Region to Syria, though the volume of goods passing through is limited.

For the past week, the Kurdistan Region has experienced heavy bouts of snowfall and storms blocking the movements of cars between the cities, most of the districts in Duhok, Sulaimani and Erbil announced a two day holiday as snow paralyzed routine life of students and employees.

Residents of multiple Iraqi cities as well, including the capital of Baghdad, have seen snow in their hometowns for the first time in over a decade.

In the Kurdistan Region, heavy snowfall has blocked the roads connecting main cities with several outlying districts, with local authorities from several areas advising the public to avoid driving on certain roads until they are cleared. 

Soran-2.jpg
Two structures designed for displaying vehicles in Erbil's Soran district after collapsing as a result of heavy snow , Feb. 13, 2020. (Photo: Kurdistan 24)

Officials in Erbil province’s Soran district instructed citizens on Thursday not to drive on the Erbil-Soran and Soran-Haji Omaran main roads until the municipal workers have cleared them.

Mountains areas within the Kurdistan Region receive snow yearly during the winter months that can last until summertime before melting away.

This year’s winter snowfall in January reached city centers, blocking main roads, and increasing traffic accidents across the autonomous federal region.. 

Editing by John J. Catherine

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1