Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Secure email

olivesman

I have an email account with Tutanota hoping to keep my business MINE.

My problem is that when I used it some time ago for DV it didn't seem

to be letting all of the DV emails through so I changed back to my Gmail account.

Yesterday, what with all of the impending news, I tried to change it back

and I never received the verification email.

Am I doing something wrong?

Could it have been due to attempting on the weekend?

Can I be sure that I'll get all of the emails that I want/need?

Thanks for any help.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Markinsa said:

@olivesman I believe you are saying that you didn't get the verification email from DV to your gmail account. 

Try looking under the the Category Folders, ie (Social, Promotions, Updates, etc...)  If I remember correctly, it put my email under the "Promotions" Folder.

I'm sure I looked in every folder it offers (especially Spam). I figured I'd try again

today if for some reason the weekend or heavy traffic was the reason

but I did try about 3 times yesterday.

Thanks

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Markinsa said:

@olivesman I believe you are saying that you didn't get the verification email from DV to your gmail account. 

Try looking under the the Category Folders, ie (Social, Promotions, Updates, etc...)  If I remember correctly, it put my email under the "Promotions" Folder.

Oops, just reread your post. I wss saying that I didn't get the verification in my Tutanota account in order to change from Gmail TO Tutanota (a very secure email provider). Therefore I changed back to Gmail. It'll stay Gmail unless I can get some assurance as to what the issue may be. I do understand that DV has no control over what an email provider lets through.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

You’ll need to contact tutanota about it, they are probably blocking it at server level. 

There’s a whole conversation to be had about what makes email “secure” - it may be “the best” at their server, but once it leaves, where do you open it? On your phone, on your computer? Where is the weakest link? There really is no such thing as a perfectly secure digital connection once you take all factors into consideration. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, olivesman said:

Oops, just reread your post. I wss saying that I didn't get the verification in my Tutanota account in order to change from Gmail TO Tutanota (a very secure email provider). Therefore I changed back to Gmail. It'll stay Gmail unless I can get some assurance as to what the issue may be. I do understand that DV has no control over what an email provider lets through.

I found this on Tutanota's How To page:

Spam detection rules (configuration of spam blacklist and whitelist)

Spam detection in Tutanota is multi staged. For incoming unencrypted SMTP emails, the received email is checked against DNS blacklists first. In a second stage we filter emails by executing content checks and mark emails as spam or not. Emails that have been marked as spam will be moved to the spam folder of your mailbox. In a third stage we filter spam on the base of user defined email sender lists. This list provides the possibility to classify email addresses as spam (blacklist) or not as spam (whitelist). The check is active for all incoming emails and can be configured by the administrator. The rules are valid for all users.

As administrator for a Tutanota account you can configure the email address list here in Settings.

Please click on the sender's address to assign the email address or domain with one of the following spam rules:

• No spam - Emails from this sender email address are always stored in the inbox.
  • Always spam - Emails from this sender email address will always be stored in the spam folder.
  • Discard - Emails from this sender email address will be silently discarded. The sender does not get any information about it.
  •  

The "No spam" rule has a higher priority than "Always spam" and "Discard" has the lowest priority.

You can set spam rules for sender addresses (highest priority), domains (lower priority), and top level domains (lowest priority). To add a spam rule for a domain, just enter the domain like xyz.com without putting an @ in front. This rule will also apply to emails sent from a subdomain. To add a spam rule for a top level domain, just put in com - for example - no dot is needed before this.

Rules for domains are restricted. You are not able to assign the rules "Always spam" and "Discard" to Tutanota domains, neither to your custom domains.

You also have the option to whitelist all emails. To do this, create a spam rule and put in a * where you would usually put in the email address that the rule should apply to.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Adam Montana said:

The domains you would add for dinarvets emails are

dinarvets.com

support.dinarvets.com

Thank you. I may try again later but if gmail is good enough for you, @AdamMontana (and as long as sensitive information is kept out of email) then it's good enough for me.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, olivesman said:

Thank you. I may try again later but if gmail is good enough for you, @AdamMontana (and as long as sensitive information is kept out of email) then it's good enough for me.

It is good enough for me :)

"Sensitive" information is certainly limited via email. Neither my staff nor I have the ability to control or access any individuals banking, which is what is really important. Anything sent to my office, staff, or company that may be sensitive is held under the strictest possible security. Etc etc...

Unfortunately, convenience necessitates some risk acceptance. We could completely eliminate digital communication, but then there's the chance that your mail would be opened, or the office could be bugged, or...  you get my point I'm sure.

There is simply no way to eliminate every risk, but I'm confident that we are doing everything possible to eliminate as much as possible.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Adam Montana said:

It is good enough for me :)

"Sensitive" information is certainly limited via email. Neither my staff nor I have the ability to control or access any individuals banking, which is what is really important. Anything sent to my office, staff, or company that may be sensitive is held under the strictest possible security. Etc etc...

Unfortunately, convenience necessitates some risk acceptance. We could completely eliminate digital communication, but then there's the chance that your mail would be opened, or the office could be bugged, or...  you get my point I'm sure.

There is simply no way to eliminate every risk, but I'm confident that we are doing everything possible to eliminate as much as possible.

I understand. And appreciate what you're saying. I mentioned it earlier with the less than tech savvy in mind. I'm always concerned when I see what appears to be an ACTUAL name used in this sort of forum as someones user id.

But THANK YOU for your reassurance (re: gmail as well as staff confidentiality).

Edited by olivesman
  • Thanks 2