Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Al-Halbousi called on political forces to cooperate with the file of forming a government

Butifldrm

Iraqi President Names Mohammed Allawi as New Premier

BasNews   01/02/2020 - 18:24  Published in Iraq
Iraqi President Names Mohammed Allawi as New Premier

ERBIL - Iraqi President Barham Salih named on Saturday Mohammed Allawi as the new prime minister of the country.

Allawi, who previously served as Minister of Communications, will l replace caretaker PM Adil Abdul Mahdi, who had resigned from his position since mid-November to address the evolving situation.

It was not easy for Iraqi leaders to decide on a new premier for the country as one of the key demands of the protesters was that the new prime minister could not be affiliated with any political parties.

Allawi is now a leader for the interim government and he has the choice to form a new cabinet within 30 days before early legislative elections are held.

Iraq has been rocked by mass protests against the government since October, last year, since when over 600 people have been killed and more than 25,000 others suffered from injuries.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Butifldrm said:

You know I was thinking the same thing until I started reading the following:

Al-Fateh denies signing a document that includes conditions for Allawi before his assignment

Policy

Al-Fateh denies signing a document that includes conditions for Allawi before his assignment

2020-02-01 | 11:40

Alsumaria news

The Al-Fateh coalition denied, on Saturday, that it had signed a document containing conditions on Muhammad Tawfiq Allawi, before being assigned to head the government.

In a brief statement, the coalition said, Alsumaria News received a copy of it: "We deny the document that includes conditions for Muhammad Tawfiq Allawi," calling for "be careful in conveying the information."

The social media had circulated earlier today, Saturday, a document containing conditions for Muhammad Tawfiq Allawi to assign him to form a government.

And Muhammad Tawfiq Allawi announced today, Saturday, that he was mandated by the President of the Republic, Barham Salih, to form a government.

Editor: Saif Al-Hur

ExtImage-680615-1974754688.jpg

https://www.alsumaria.tv/news/سياسة/333276/الفتح-ينفي-توقيعه-وثيقة-تتضمن-شروطاً-على-علاوي-قبل

142129.jpg?width=750&&height=375

01/20/2020 17:11
  • Views 288
  • Section: Iraq
  •  

Document: The forces within the conquest nominated Muhammad Allawi as prime minister, but the coalition denied their authenticity

Baghdad / Obelisk: Document: Forces within the Fatah nominated Muhammad Allawi to head the government .. However, the coalition later denied this

142125.jpg

Mohammed Tawfiq Allawi

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mohammed Tawfiq Allawi (Arabic: محمد توفيق علاوي‎) is an Iraqi politician who is serving as the current Iraqi Prime Minister since February 2020[1]. He was the Minister of Communications in the Iraqi Government and was also Minister of Communications in the Al Maliki government from May 2006 until August 2007, and from 2010 to 2012. Both times he resigned from his position in protest against al-Maliki's sectarian agenda and political interference.

Business

While in higher education he co-founded the Tawfiq Allawi Cable & Electric Wire Factory which manufactured various raw materials including marble, concrete and PVC. His factories were confiscated by the Iraqi government in 1997. Allawi went on to found a cereal bar factory and a software company in England and to work in property development in Lebanon, Morocco and the real estate market in the UK.[2]

Interfaith International

Allawi joined Interfaith International, a Swiss based NGO that supported the human rights of Muslim minorities during the Yugoslav Wars.[2]

Politics

Allawi participated in the Salah Al-Din Conference of opposition parties in 1992 and the London Conference in 2002. He was elected to the Council of Representatives of Iraq in the Iraqi parliamentary election of January 2005.[2] He is the cousin of Ayad Allawi who founded the opposition Iraqi National Accord and went on to be the interim Prime Minister of Iraq from 2004 to 2005.

In May 2006 Allawi was appointed Minister of Communications in the Al Maliki government. After fifteen months he withdrew from the government, citing the Prime Minister's practice of making appointments on a sectarian basis.[3] He rejoined parliament and remained in opposition for the remainder of the government's term.[2] He returned as Minister of Communications in the newly formed government in 2010, but also resigning after citing interference of Al Maliki in his ministry.

He has since remained as a public commentator on Iraqi political affairs, with a series of articles published in Iraqi media outlets and on his blog.

Minister of Communications

Allawi was twice minister of communications, from May 2006 until August 2007, and from 2010 to 2012. Both times he resigned from his position in protest against al-Maliki's sectarian agenda and political interference.

One of Allawi's key policies was rooting out corruption. As communications minister, he implemented a policy that imposed strict anti-bribery terms on every company contracting with the ministry. These terms included that if the company was discovered to have paid a bribe to anyone in the ministry, a fine worth 30% of the contract would be imposed on the contracting company and the company would be blacklisted (preventing it from contracting with any government entity for three years). [4]

• Thanks 2

Iraq president appoints Mohammed Allawi as new prime minister

Former communications minister named as Iraq prime minister, amid continuing protests.

• Mohammed Tawfiq Allawi would run the country until early elections can be held. He must form a new government within a month [File: Erin Trieb/Getty Images]
Mohammed Tawfiq Allawi would run the country until early elections can be held. He must form a new government within a month [File: Erin Trieb/Getty Images]

Iraqi President Barham Salih has appointed Mohammed Tawfiq Allawi as the country's new prime minister, ending more than two months of political deadlock.

Saturday's announcement comes as Iraqis continue anti-government protests for a fourth consecutive month, and two months after former Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi resigned under pressure from the streets.

Allawi must form a new government within a month and would run the country until new elections could be held.

President Salih had told Iraq's divided parliament that he would name his own candidate unless it nominated someone by February 1.

In a video posted on Twitter on Saturday, 65-year-old Allawi said Salih had named him and that he would form a new government in line with protesters' demands.

"I decided the first to do was to speak to you [Iraqi people] directly, before I address anyone else because my authority comes from you," he said.

"This is your country, this is your right ... all we have to do is execute your demands. We have to protect you instead of repressing you," he added.

In his address, Allawi also pledged to restore the country's battered economy and fight corruption.

Allawi's selection was the product of months of private talks between rival parties.

Three Iraqi officials told The Associated Press news agency Allawi's selection had been agreed by rival Iraqi factions earlier on Saturday.

'Continue with the protests'

In the pre-recorded video, Allawi called on protesters to continue with their uprising against corruption and said he would quit if the blocs insisted on imposing names of ministers in his government. 

"If it wasn't for your sacrifices and courage there wouldn't have been any change in the country," he said addressing anti-government protesters. "I have faith in you and ask you to continue with the protests."

Allawi was born in Baghdad and served as communications minister first in 2006 and again between 2010-2012. He resigned from the post the second time after a dispute with former Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki.

Parliament is expected to put his candidacy to a vote in its next session, at which point he would have 30 days to formulate a government programme and select a cabinet of ministers.

Al Jazeera's Imran Khan, reporting from Baghdad, said there is a long way to go before Allawi is approved on the streets by the protesters.

"He needs to win over the parliament," Khan said.

"It's likely that ... they [parties] couldn't agree on anybody else so they've had to circle back to Mohammed Tawfik Allawi and say … we're going to have to take this seriously and talk about this," he said.

Demonstrators in Iraq have been calling for new faces and new names to lead the country.

Allawi's nomination has divided protestors, with some rallying in support, and others rejecting him as prime minister. 

"Mohammed Allawi, rejected!" some protestors chanted from Baghdad's Tahrir Square, the epicentre of protests.

Yousef Abd, a 25-year-old protestor, said there is "no doubt we reject Allawi in the position of prime minister".

"If the government insists on forcing him on us we will definitely escalate things," he told Al Jazeera from Tahrir Square.

Test of 'independence'

Sajad Jiyad, managing director of Bayan Centre, a think tank, told Al Jazeera there has been an agreement between the largest parties in Parliament to nominate Allawi.

"Now that has happened we can expect a lot of negotiation around cabinet formation and this will be a test to see how much independence Allawi has and how much support for his nominees to the cabinet he can get from the parties in Parliament," he said.

Jiyad added that protestors who have rejected Allawi's nomination believe he will be "beholden to the same political system they accuse of corruption and are protesting against".

Political analyst Sarmad al-Bayati, said it is still too early to see what affect the appointment of Allawi will have on the Iraqi scene.

"Allawi was not a new name to be suggested as a candidate … But I don't think he represents the aspirations of the Iraqi people," al-Bayati told Al Jazeera.

"He will probably face the same limitations that Adel Abdul Mahdi experienced," he noted.

According to the constitution, a replacement for Abdul Mahdi should have been identified fifteen days after his resignation in early December. Instead, it has taken rival blocs nearly two months of jockeying to select Allawi as their consensus candidate.

Abdul Mahdi's rise to power was the product of a provisional alliance between parliament's two main blocs - Sairoon, led by Shia leader Moqtada al-Sadr, and Fatah, which includes leaders associated with the paramilitary Popular Mobilisation Forces (PMF, or Hasdh al-Shaabi) headed by Hadi al-Amiri.

Additional reporting by Linah Alsaafin from Baghdad.

SOURCE: Al Jazeera and news agencies

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, md11fr8dawg said:

If the reports are true the Iraqi people do NOT want this Iranian supporting ass clown as PM. Words mean NOTHING< let's see if he is a MAN of his word. We'll see.

Is he an Iranian puppet? I don’t know! I thought he was pro Iraqi! JMHO 

Hamzoz 🇮🇶 Hamzouz
@Hamzoz
·
1h
Reply to
@MohammedAllawi
My beloved Mohamed, who will lose this # Fall_Mohammed Tawfiq Alawi or #Mohammed Tawfiq Allawi_You will drop

Beşşar 🇮🇶
@ bash00099
·
1h
Double face صلة

Al-Jabouri knelt
@sjd_aljubori
·
2h
Reply to
@MohammedAllawi
Will the arms be confined to the state ??
1 more reply

Almost Ahmed
@ IRQ08
·
1h
Reply to
@MohammedAllawi
Can you go to the Al-Haboubi Square without any guards and write all your pledges by hand there?

This is the challenge

The lead time is 24 hours
1 more reply

Camellia
@ OZR3qRktvk4R4y7
·
2h
Reply to
@MohammedAllawi
 and
@TheOmarHabeeb
I wish you would respond to my comment ... how do you hold the killers accountable and they are part of the government and they chose you and agreed to you after a long suffering?

Paris🇮🇶
@ Paris92465926
·
2h
Reply to
@MohammedAllawi
How do you accept that you receive the position when you are popularly rejected ???
3 more replies

Ali Al-Basrawi
@Iflflfl
·
2h
Reply to
@MohammedAllawi
We do not want you as prime minister, because you are dual national, a former minister, and the party candidate. # Down with Muhammad Tawfiq. Allawi.

Ali Al-Basrawi
@Iflflfl
·
1h
I know his autobiography before you tell me .. What is the story of selling the Iraqi commercial orbit to the Zionist entity, what is the story of the French camera company and why was it sentenced to 7 years in prison 9

My Iraqi state
@ 0nly_Iraqi
·
2h
Reply to
@MohammedAllawi
 and
@TheOmarHabeeb
Professor, being a candidate for the two largest blocs of corruption makes us distrust all of what you say

Zainab🇮🇶
@ zain_ab9
·
2h
Reply to
@MohammedAllawi
#Does_Mohammed Tawfiq_Allawi

kuther
@Kuther__
·
2h
Reply to
@MohammedAllawi
Trouble the growth of al-Maliki if he appointed you this position? !!

Manuel Hankoo
@HankooManuel
·
2h
Reply to
@MohammedAllawi
I cannot eliminate the militias because he was originally nominated by them

Sarah Hareth
@SarahHDaram
·
2h
Reply to
@MohammedAllawi
We don’t want marionettes !!!!!

Judge d. Judge A. S. zebari
@aszebari
·
2h
Reply to
@MohammedAllawi
I hope that things will happen in the interest of the Iraqi people and the young demonstrators, and that the parties will not be able to impose their conditions on you and return matters to the first square .. Do not forget that you are in the toughest test at all .. Greetings

MOHAMMED AL SULEMAN
Liked @ mohammed077224
·
2h
It came with an agreement between Hadi al-Amiri and Muqtada al-Sadr, who were sure to impose conditions

Haj Abu Ali Al-Kofi Al-Tamimi
@ jpl0nre0512N9m2
·
2h
Reply to
@MohammedAllawi
We congratulate you, Mr. President and Big Brother, on assignment. May God bless you, and we will be of help to you

Gtr.c7
@ C7Gtr
·
2h
Behold the fruits
1 more reply

Aya
@ ayaa_ayo0
·
2h
Reply to
@MohammedAllawi
 and
@TheOmarHabeeb
#Mohammed Tawfiq_Alawi_rejected #represented by the people’s order

Ahmed
Liked @ Ahmed27025635
·
2h
Reply to
@MohammedAllawi
Congratulations, you deserve the President

ali.🇮🇶
@ 7qb21
·
2h
Photographed

Edited by 6ly410
  • Thanks 1

So it looks like this dude may not be who the protestors wanted, but they did get change so half are good with it and half are not. I’ve texted my Shia friend to see if he has anything to say or pass along from his friends but I already know he doesn’t like this Allawi guy..

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Artitech said:

Is he an Iranian puppet? I don’t know! I thought he was pro Iraqi! JMHO 

121198.jpg?width=750&&height=375

01/22/205 16:36
  • Views 110
  •  

The Dawa Party: We are not part of the scenario assigning any candidate to the Prime Minister

Baghdad / Obelisk: The Islamic Dawa Party announced, on Saturday, February 1, 2020, that it is not part of the scenario assigning any candidate for prime minister.   

Obelisk publishes the text of the statement:

In the name of of Allah the Merciful

In this sensitive circumstance, which requires everyone to cooperate and listen to the voice of the Iraqi street and the calls of reference ...

The Islamic Dawa Party announces to all Iraqis that it has nothing to do with the election of any personality that does not conform to the specifications agreed upon by the Iraqis. From the first day of the start of the nomination process, he wanted the candidate for prime minister to be independent, efficient, honest and able to preserve the sovereignty and unity of Iraq and meet the aspirations and movements of the people. We are able to provide a safe electoral environment so that Iraqis can vote without any illegal practices so that the ballot box is the constitutional change mechanism.

Therefore, the Islamic Dawa Party, as part of the State of Law bloc, declares that it is not part of the scenario for assigning any candidate for prime minister now.

The Islamic Dawa Party

Political office

6 / Jumada II / 1441

1/2/2020

Follow the obelisk

http://almasalah.com/ar/news/187149/حزب-الدعوة-لسنا-جزءا-من-سيناريو-تكليف-اي-مرشح-لرئاسة-الوزراء

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, md11fr8dawg said:

If the reports are true the Iraqi people do NOT want this Iranian supporting ass clown as PM. Words mean NOTHING< let's see if he is a MAN of his word. We'll see.

im still reading a mix bag of articles on him ,, he did quit malaki's goi a couple times i think from not liking what was happening but on the other hand sadr and amiri are propping him up before the people which is a real red flag if past history is a lesson to glean anything from those two iranian sympathizers ... who knows im hoping for the best for all of iraq and investors .......

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

Iraq's Newly Appointed PM Calls for Continued Protests

BasNews   01/02/2020 - 21:46  Published in Iraq
ERBIL - Iraq's newly appointed premier Mohammed Allawi, who was announced by the country's president on Saturday to replace caretaker PM Adil Abdul Mahdi, has urged the anti-government protesters to stay in the streets until their demands are met.

In a televised message on his Twitter account to demonstrators, Allawi argued that "if it wasn't for your efforts and sacrifices, there would have been no changes in the country now."

He further noted that he wanted to "have a word" with the protesters before having any talks with any officials or leaders.

"I urge you to continue to protest [against the government] because I will not be able to do anything alone if you are not with me."

However, protesters in Baghdad's Tahrir Square have already rejected Allawi as the future prime minister of Iraq, making clear that they will not leave the streets.

Anti-government protests have been ongoing since October, and hundreds of people have been killed, despite the wounding of tens of thousands of others.

Adil Abdul Mahdi resigned from Iraq's premiership in mid-November after a call by the country's top Shia cleric and in efforts to address the evolving situation in the region.

Since then, it had been difficult for Iraqi top officials to decide on a new premier for the country, as demonstrators have repeatedly said that they would not accept a figure if he is affiliated with any political parties.

Mohammed Allawi has previously served as Iraq's minister of communications.

Edited by 6ly410
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Butifldrm said:

From the first day of the start of the nomination process, he wanted the candidate for prime minister to be

° independent

° efficient,

° honest and

° able to preserve the sovereignty and

° unity of Iraq

We'll just have to wait and see....

To find those qualities, (whether outside or inside political circles) is next to impossible. 

I hope the protesters will give him a chance until the next election. 

• Like 1

142136.jpg?width=750&&height=375

01/20/2020 21:16
  • Views 198
  •  

Allawi calls for opening a direct dialogue with peaceful demonstrators

Baghdad / Obelisk: On Saturday 1 February 2020, Prime Minister-designate Muhammad Tawfiq Allawi called for an open dialogue with peaceful demonstrators, stressing that he would form a consultative team in his office with the participation of representatives of the demonstrators.

In his speech, Allawi said, after being assigned to head the government: I affirm the commitment to provide the greatest amount of job opportunities to citizens by starting industrial and investment projects and laying the foundations for the rentier economy and not relying on oil.

Allawi pledged to fight corruption, dissolve economic bodies, achieve security and safety for all people, confine arms to the state, refrain from using live weapons, and protect Iraq from any external interference, or I would allow Iraq to be an arena for settling scores.

Allawi called for launching a direct dialogue with the demonstrators, and I will supervise this dialogue to resolve the country's crises and bring him to safety, pledging to protect the peaceful demonstrators and release the innocent.

And I will set up an advisory team in the Prime Minister's office with the participation of representatives of the demonstrators, calling for the continuation of the demonstrations to achieve the desired reforms.

Obelisk

http://almasalah.com/ar/news/187166/علاوي-يدعو-الى-فتح-حوار-مباشر-مع-المتظاهرين-السلميين

142139.jpg?width=750&&height=375

01/22/2020 22:01
  • Views 78
  •  

Al-Halbousi and Allawi stress the necessity of forming a government that adopts reform steps

Baghdad / Obelisk: Prime Minister-designate Muhammad Tawfiq Allawi and Parliament Speaker Mohammed al-Halbousi stressed on Saturday, February 1, 2020 the need to form a government that adopts reform steps.

In a statement received by the obelisk, Al-Halbousi’s office said that Parliament Speaker Muhammad Al-Halbousi received Prime Minister-designate Muhammad Tawfiq Allawi.

The statement added that during the meeting, emphasis was placed on the need to form a government that will adopt reform steps and set a realistic government program that meets the aspirations of the Iraqi people.

Obelisk

http://almasalah.com/ar/news/187168/الحلبوسي-وعلاوي-يؤكدان-على-ضرورة-تشكيل-حكومة-تتبنى-الخطوات-الإصلاحية