Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Navy to honor Doris Miller with 1st aircraft carrier named after African American

Navy to honor Doris Miller with 1st aircraft carrier named after African American

miller-1-ht-er-200119_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg

miller-2-ht-er-200119_hpEmbed_11x12_992.jpg

The U.S. Navy is set to announce Monday that a future aircraft carrier will be the first named in honor of an African American.

The ship will be named in honor of Doris Miller, who was serving as a ship's cook during the attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941, acting Secretary of the Navy Thomas Modly said in a statement Sunday. The announcement is timed to coincide with Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

This will be the second ship named in honor of Miller for his actions during the attack on Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941. When the attack from the Japanese began, Miller was collecting laundry on the West Virginia battleship. Miller headed to his battle station, but found it destroyed by torpedo damage. Miller helped move injured sailors to safety before he was ordered to help the captain of the ship, who was mortally wounded.

After that, Miller manned an anti-aircraft machine gun, a weapon he had not been trained to operate, until it was out of ammunition.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/navy-honors-doris-miller-1st-aircraft-carrier-named/story?id=68391493

Edited by bigwave
finished the post
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

Congratulations to him and his family for his bravery and service to his Country.  

Its an honor many service men and woman probably deserve but it’s kind of nice to see someone besides 

a President or a State honored with this tribute.  

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

I’m kind of surprised since today is MLK Day that we haven’t had more posts on him.  

After reading the story above I decided to look up MLK’s “I have a Dream” speech and listen to the words.   This speech is without a doubt one of the best ever given imo.

I remember my father made me watch it on TV.  It was a very big deal for our country, especially during the Civil Rights era of the early 60’s.  It also made a very big impact on me because my father wasn’t really known for his acceptance of Blacks being on par with Whites.  ( I believe Racism and hatred are a learned behavior). I wouldn’t judge him as a bona fide Racist but what he said after the speech was kind of shocking to us.  During the speech I was thinking he would say some bad things but he didn’t say a word.  When the speech was over he clapped his hands and said one word, MAGNIFICENT, and he went to his room.  I will never forget that moment as long as I live.  

The next day while driving me to school school he asked me what I thought of the speech.  I believe I said something profound like, “ I don’t know.”  He then said, “ son, you know that sometimes I’ve been very mean spirited towards negroes.  I want you to know that speech has changed me dramatically.  You will never hear me utter another mean thing again about the negroes unless it’s earned just like I would anyone else. 

Do you understand son? DO NOT FILL YOUR HEART WITH HATE TOWARDS ANOTHER PERSON because of skin color!!!!”

I remember being shocked, afraid, and confused but I never forgot those words and I’ve tried to live my life according to them.  With my own kids I have tried to instill what he said along with the basic, Golden Rule.  

Below is his speech.  I know many of you are much younger than me but I hope you can understand how hard it has been for the Black people to enjoy many of the basic freedoms many of us take for granted.  I can remember colored boys restrooms and water fountains.  When I went to college there was actually a sign on one of the popular restaurants that said, “ No N****** Allowed!!!  I’m glad things are changing and I hope that all Americans can fill their hearts with love and not hatred towards other human beings.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1