Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

US dumps huge amounts of sand on Miami Beach to tackle climate change erosion

bostonangler

Miami Beach (United States) (AFP) - Dozens of trucks have started dumping hundreds of thousands of tons of sand on Miami Beach as part of US government measures to protect Florida's tourist destinations against the effects of climate change.

"We have erosion hotspots," said Stephen Leatherman, an expert on beaches and the environment at Florida International University.

"When the beach is critically narrow, there's not enough room for recreation for all the people that come here, and more important, perhaps, all these buildings need to be protected," he said Friday.

Leatherman -- known locally as "Dr Beach" -- said that rising sea levels, triggered by climate change, are causing the accelerated erosion of the famous beach, as well as coastal storms and in particular hurricanes.

The Army Corps of Engineers this month began the $16 million operation to dump 233,000 cubic meters (8.2 million cubic feet) of sand on eroded areas of Miami Beach by June, a project that was originally designed to address damage wrought by Hurricane Irma in 2017.

Every day, trucks will tip between 100 and 250 loads, each containing 22 tons of sand, onto the beach, the Army said in a statement.

"Some people say it's like throwing millions of dollars out in the ocean every year and maybe they're right, but we have to do it; we have to have the beach here," said Leatherman.

"South Florida is considered ground zero for climate change," he said. "I mean, not only do we have beach erosion, we got flooding going on during King tides, which happen all too often now, where some roads get flooded."

A King tide is an especially high spring tide.

The project is part of an overall $158 million federally funded plan to protect Miami from hurricanes and control beach erosion.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-dumps-huge-amounts-sand-miami-beach-tackle-211421724.html

Looks like someone believes the climate is changing... For whatever reason, it is happening. Our grand children and great grand children are going to live in a very different world.

B/A

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 2

Looks like someone believes the climate is changing... For whatever reason, it is happening. Our grand children and great grand children are going to live in a very different world.

End Quote

That's for sure...But there's no worse kind of blind than the one refusing to see and admit it.....As usual......

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, nstoolman1 said:

They move sand from one place to another all the time. 

I saw a time lapse of a beach that shows a reduction of sand and then 

an excess without intervention from man. Sand builds up and is moved all the time.

It only becomes important when they want to support system" rel="">support an agenda. Jmho.

***///

Exactly ! :twothumbs:

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

The LOGIC of A "brain washed" LIBERAL who has bought into the CLIMATE CHANGE HOAX:

1) Beach sand is eroded by the sea

2) Professor from University of Florida says that beach erosion is caused by CLIMATE CHANGE.

3) We are all going to die unless we give GLOBAL GOVERNMENTS the power to do whatever they see fit to humanity to save the WORLD.

Indy

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Yeah Umbertino and the brain washed liberal wants to control ALL aspects of my life. No thanks, I can take care of myself without ANY liberal intervention. The earth is changing all the time, always has always will, but there are arrogant condescending fools that think they have the power and brains to change it. Good luck with that. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, umbertino said:

The LOGIC of A "brain washed" LIBERAL ...

End Quote

With all the due respect, Indy........Maybe so...

It just opposes  the LOGIC of a "brain washed" CONSERVATIVE....No big deal...it's called fair balance

You said logic.... That's funny... Logic doesn't apply here... Trust me... Logic would dictate the earth is obviously getting warmer based on facts and statistics. But yet logic doesn't prevail... I have said many times, I don't know why the earth is changing, it could the billions of cars, factories, planes, boats and other things pumping toxins into our atmosphere, or it could simply be a cycle the earth goes through. But how anyone can deny the world is changing and our grand kids and great grands kids are going to be living under very different conditions, is beyond me.

B/A

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

This water issue is everywhere

we have wasaga beach blue mountains etc

2 years now and even dead of winter rising 

the water is wiping out cottages store fronts that use to be so far back

there is no beach now

funny part

winter here water should go down

well it’s going other way

climate change yes every where

end of days starting to add up

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/20/2020 at 9:42 AM, bostonangler said:

You said logic.... That's funny... Logic doesn't apply here... Trust me... Logic would dictate the earth is obviously getting warmer based on facts and statistics. But yet logic doesn't prevail... I have said many times, I don't know why the earth is changing, it could the billions of cars, factories, planes, boats and other things pumping toxins into our atmosphere, or it could simply be a cycle the earth goes through. But how anyone can deny the world is changing and our grand kids and great grands kids are going to be living under very different conditions, is beyond me.

B/A

The dichotomy of your statement is exactly what I have been saying and want others to think about. In the same sentence, you state that you don't know if the Earth is just going through cycles, or if mankind has an impact on the world's climate. This is the same concern and question that most 'critical thinking' people in the world are asking.

My point is that I can't and will not sign up for the claim that mankind is the primary catalyst for Climate Change and that we must give all power and control over to those Demagogues making these claims. Anyone who has made the logical progression that we are doomed and must relinquish all control at this time is BRAIN WASHED.

Indy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Indraman said:

The dichotomy of your statement is exactly what I have been saying and want others to think about. In the same sentence, you state that you don't know if the Earth is just going through cycles, or if mankind has an impact on the world's climate. This is the same concern and question that most 'critical thinking' people in the world are asking.

My point is that I can't and will not sign up for the claim that mankind is the primary catalyst for Climate Change and that we must give all power and control over to those Demagogues making these claims. Anyone who has made the logical progression that we are doomed and must relinquish all control at this time is BRAIN WASHED.

Indy

So what's a human to do? How do we prepare our future generations? I'm old and won't be here in 50 or 100 years, but the future is going to be bleak for those who remain. If there is anything humans can do to help mother earth, there's no time like the present.

B/A

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, bostonangler said:

So what's a human to do? How do we prepare our future generations? I'm old and won't be here in 50 or 100 years, but the future is going to be bleak for those who remain. If there is anything humans can do to help mother earth, there's no time like the present.

B/A

That's exactly the point.....Try and not to be selfish toward the future generations......

Edited by umbertino
  • Thanks 1

Miami beach is man made...was nothing but marshy swamp crap back in the day.  Of course it's beaches need replenishing from time to time.  Mother nature will not be denied....she will be aided though, by mankind, for those actually paying more attention to their surroundings rather than the love affair they are having with their wallets.  As always, just my opinion.

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

Miami beach is man made...was nothing but marshy swamp crap back in the day.  Of course it's beaches need replenishing from time to time.  Mother nature will not be denied....she will be aided though, by mankind, for those actually paying more attention to their surroundings rather than the love affair they are having with their wallets.  As always, just my opinion.

GO RV, then BV

Yep....Problem is that most times ( not all the time thank God)  big money wins .......

Again ( for me) that's the  dark side of capitalism ( which instead can and is good other times for sure)

• Upvote 1