Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

TIMES MAN OF THE YEAR

4 minutes ago, bostonangler said:

Let this sink in.... Someday your daughter may make the cover for fighting what she believes in and trolls like you will bash her...

Let that sink in.

B/A

Just like the professor who brought up Trump's kids name and then apologized for it, as was the right thing to do.......Kids should be off limits.  It's a moral, adult thing really.  As always, just my opinion.

GO RV, then BV

Edited by Shabibilicious
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Shabibilicious said:

Just like the professor who brought up Trump's kids name and then apologized for it, as was the right thing to do.......Kids should be off limits.  It's a moral, adult thing really.  As always, just my opinion.

GO RV, then BV

Great point... I hear lot's of people say that but are some of them are simply posers.

B/A

• Downvote 3

11 minutes ago, bostonangler said:

Let this sink in.... Someday your daughter may make the cover for fighting what she believes in and trolls like you will bash her...

Let that sink in.

B/A

OKAY, attack or even mention my children ONE MORE TIME  and I guarantee you that you Will be PERMANENTLY BANNED. 

7 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

GO RV, then BV

Thank You Very Much. 

• Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

Celebrity

How Greta Thunberg — Now the Youngest TIME Person of the Year Ever — 'Destroys' Asperger's Stigma

PeopleDecember 11, 2019, 1:52 PM EST

How Greta Thunberg — Now the Youngest TIME Person of the Year Ever — 'Destroys' Asperger's Stigma

Teen climate change activist Greta Thunberg has Asperger’s, a diagnosis that an estimated 1 in 250 people will receive, according to the Asperger/Autism Network.

But the way she’s broken the mold surrounding the disorder is rare.

The Swedish 16 year old — who was named TIME‘s Person of the Year on Wednesday, making her the youngest person to ever be given the honor — hasn’t shied away from flipping the script on her Asperger’s, at one point referring to it not as an obstacle but as her “superpower.”

“Being different is a good thing,” she told PEOPLE in October. “It’s something we should aspire to be.”

The pride with which she embraces her diagnosis has not been lost on others with Asperger’s, who now view Thunberg as a role model. Case in point: the trending Twitter hashtag “Autistics for Greta.”

“She is my SHERO!” user @hmcooperauthor wrote in September. “Such a fearless, articulate young woman. We might be considered ‘odd, weird, quirky….’ Or whatever adjectives that you prefer to insert but I’m convinced folks on the Autism Spectrum have superpowers that you all just don’t…”

User @ThruThePrismArt agreed, writing, “I’m on the spectrum. Anyone who underestimates Greta has NO IDEA how powerful the autistic brain is when set to a specific goal. The strength of being #ActuallyAutistic is LIMITLESS.”

“This is it!! This is what ASD is. Passion and unending dedication to a cause,” user @AmberOckerbloom added. “@GretaThunberg is a superhero to my daughter and all those on the spectrum. ASD is why she is who she is. How can that ever be something bad?!”

Regardless of why they’re paying attention to her, Thunberg told PEOPLE she knows she has many eyes watching her every move — and hopes to make the best of it.

“Right now, I have a lot of people listening to what I am saying, so I am using that platform to try to achieve a change,” she said.

Asperger’s is a type of autism that was adopted under the broader autism disorder umbrella in 2013, after previously being its own diagnosis.

The disorder is characterized by having difficulty with social interactions, restricted interests, a desire for sameness, and distinctive strengths, like “remarkable” focus and persistence, an aptitude for recognizing patterns, and attention to detail, according to Autism Speaks.

Daniel Reinhardt/picture alliance/Getty
Daniel Reinhardt/picture alliance/Getty

Those strengths have served Thunberg well, as she explained on CBS This Morning that her Asperger’s actually helps her in seeing the world through a different lens.

“In some circumstances it can definitely be an advantage to have some kind of neurotypical diagnosis, to be neurodiverse, because that makes you different, that makes you think differently,” she said. “And especially in such a big crisis like this, when we need to think outside the box. We need to think outside our current system, we need people who think outside the box and who aren’t like everyone else.”

RELATED: Teen Climate Activist Greta Thunberg Blasts World Leaders at the UN: ‘How Dare You!’

The interview built upon an earlier tweet she’d written, in which she dismissed critics insulting her “looks and differences,” and instead wrote that she considered “being different” a “superpower.”

“I’m not public about my diagnosis to ‘hide’ behind it, but because I know many ignorant people still see it as an ‘illness,’ or something negative,” she wrote.

Thunberg’s firm pride in her Asperger’s subsequently serves as inspiration for those dealing with the same thing, says Erica Remi, director of development for the Asperger/Autism Network.

“I think she’s a role model to everyone,” Remi told NBC News. “But I think for somebody who has Asperger’s or is on the autism spectrum, her ability to be honest and disclose it in such an empowering way is what’s inspirational. Greta is disclosing it in a way that she’s proud of.”

Greta Thunberg | KENA BETANCUR/AFP/Getty
Greta Thunberg | KENA BETANCUR/AFP/Getty

Collier Litel, a 23-year-old who has Asperger’s, told the outlet he wished that he’d had a figure like Thunberg to look up to as a child.

“It means a lot that she’s willingly embraced Asperger’s syndrome and talks about it openly. It creates a lot of awareness and destroys some stigmas,” he said. “I think it would have had a tremendous impact on what I viewed as possible not only for myself, but for cultivating relationships around me.”

Thunberg first rose to prominence last year after the school strikes she held to protest climate change caught on with younger people around the world.

“I think it’s very hopeful, all the young people who are a part of the climate change movement,” she previously told PEOPLE. “That keeps me going, to see that it actually has made a difference. Because there is no second option.”

RELATED: Swedish Environmental Activist Greta Thunberg, 16, Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

In August, she sailed across the Atlantic Ocean in a zero-carbon emission boat to arrive in New York City for the U.N. Climate Action Summit, where she urged leaders to make much-needed changes for the sake of the planet.

Then in September, she led the largest climate strike of all time, with millions of people from more than 150 countries taking to the streets to demand that world leaders take immediate action to lower carbon emissions.

If we don’t do something about it now, she told PEOPLE, “It will only get worse. My hope is that we can fix it in time.”

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/climate-activist-nobel-peace-prize-205451222.html

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, coorslite21 said:

Better than having the whistleblower as the person of the year!

Yet I feel for this child who is being led around by her parents for profit....with some of the health issues she deals with she would not be capable of doing any of this on her own.  JMO.    CL

Greta refers to her Aspergers (ASD) as her superpower.  How can that be a bad thing?

GO RV, then BV

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

OKAY, attack or even mention my children ONE MORE TIME  and I guarantee you that you Will be PERMANENTLY BANNED. 

I didn't attack your children, I said your child could grow up to be a hero... You're the one attacking kids, comparing that girl to Hitler. Pretty sad for such a good man.

B/A

• Thanks 2
  • Downvote 4

12 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

Greta refers to her Aspergers (ASD) as her superpower.  How can that be a bad thing?

GO RV, then BV

The parents are the driving force here.....they're using the kid as their gravy train....

JMO.    CL 

Like most any teenager ....she wouldn't be capable of any of this on her own....

2 minutes ago, coorslite21 said:

The parents are the driving force here.....they're using the kid as their gravy train....

JMO.    CL 

Like most any teenager ....she wouldn't be capable of any of this on her own....

You say driving....I'm leaning more towards enabling.  Potato, pototo.  :shrug:  Her being allowed to be herself and channel her thoughts and deeds seems like a good thing, a positive thing for all parents of children dealing with ASD to allow.  Only my opinion of course.

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, coorslite21 said:

JMO.    CL 

I don't know have you seen the story of the 9 year old prodigy graduating college??? There some pretty bright people who stand out across history as being far more advanced than average. Maybe they are aliens, but look at Franklin, Tesla, Voltaire, Galileo and others. In their times they were shunned, banished , some even killed for being different.

B/A

• Downvote 4

Trump mocks Greta Thunberg's Time Person of the Year honor: 'So ridiculous'

President Trump on Thursday mocked Greta Thunberg after the Swedish teenage climate activist was named Time magazine’s Person of the Year, edging out finalists including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Hong Kong protesters — and him.

“So ridiculous,” Trump tweeted. “Greta must work on her Anger Management problem, then go to a good old fashioned movie with a friend! Chill Greta, Chill!”

Time announced Thunberg as its Person of the Year on Wednesday.

Trump has long had a fixation with the Time distinction, which he won in 2016. The following year, Trump claimed that Time editors had told him he would “probably” be named Person of the Year again, conditional on an interview and photo shoot — which he said he refused. He also claimed he should have won the award in 2018. (“I can’t imagine anybody other than Trump,” the president said then, referring to himself. “Can you imagine anybody other than Trump?”)

It’s not the first time the president has used his Twitter feed to mock the 16-year-old.

In September, the two crossed paths at the United Nations, where Thunberg delivered an impassioned speech denouncing world leaders for failing to do more to combat climate change.

“This is all wrong,” Thunberg said in her speech. “I shouldn’t be up here. I should be back in school on the other side of the ocean, yet you come to us young people for hope. How dare you.”

Trump weighed in on the speech in a tweet the following day.

“She seems like a very happy young girl looking forward to a bright and wonderful future,” the president wrote. “So nice to see!”

Thunberg responded by changing her Twitter bio to read: “A very happy young girl looking forward to a bright and wonderful future.”

She responded similarly Thursday.

“A teenager working on her anger management problem,” Thunberg’s Twitter bio now reads. “Currently chilling and watching a good old fashioned movie with a friend.”

In an interview with Yahoo News in September, Thunberg said powerful men like Trump “want to silence” young climate activists like her.

“They can sense that we are making an impact,” she said. “They obviously don’t want that. So they are using several methods to mock and hate.”

In November, Thunberg told Ellen Degeneres that she wouldn’t want to meet with Trump even if given the opportunity.

“I don’t understand why I would do that,” Thunberg said on the “Ellen” show. “I don’t see what I could tell him that he hasn’t already heard. And I just think it would be a waste of time, really.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-mocks-greta-thunberg-time-person-of-the-year-movie-chill-130643126.html

What a big man!

B/A

• Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, nstoolman1 said:

Use a child for an agenda, then complain, b@tch and moan when your called on it. 

Without adult help she would not be in the heat. Shame on parents who use their kids as shields then cry foul.

Of course, it's okay for a 70ish potus to verbally attack the girl, rather than direct his ire at her parents though, right?  :facepalm:  The protection his base wraps around him, particularly when he should be called out for his poor behavior, is astounding.

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bostonangler said:

I didn't attack your children, I said your child could grow up to be a hero... You're the one attacking kids, comparing that girl to Hitler. Pretty sad for such a good man.

B/A

Since we're throwing forum rules out the window,

I NEVER COMPARED HER TO ANYONE YOU IGNORANT INSTIGATOR.  I ONLY POINTED OUT TIME MAGAZINES HISTORY WITH THE MAN OF THE YEAR AWARD. 

DON'T EVER MENTION MY FAMILY AGAIN. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

Of course, it's okay for a 70ish potus to verbally attack the girl, rather than direct his ire at her parents though, right?  :facepalm:  The protection his base wraps around him, particularly when he should be called out for his poor behavior, is astounding.

GO RV, then BV

I don't need to call him out. You do that enough for everybody. I just focus my everyday energy on better things. 

It is not going to change him and will only make me tired.