Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Church Nativity Scene Shows Jesus, Mary and Joseph As Refugee Family Split At Border

bostonangler

A Southern California church has erected a nativity scene portraying the Holy Family as a refugee family separated at the U.S. border with Mexico, in a statement about the “thousands of nameless families separated at our borders.”

Karen Clark Ristine, the lead pastor at Claremont United Methodist Church, posted an image of the scene on Facebook on Saturday, alongside a lengthy post. The image shows baby Jesus, Mary and Joseph in caged cells decorated with barbed wire.

Ristine described the “theological statement” behind the nativity: “In a time in our country when refugee families seek asylum at our borders and are unwillingly separated from one another, we consider the most well-known refugee family in the world.”

“Shortly after the birth of Jesus, Joseph and Mary were forced to flee with their young son from Nazareth to Egypt to escape King Herod, a tyrant. They feared persecution and death,” she wrote.

“What if this family sought refuge in our country today?”

The pastor asked readers to imagine the Holy Family, with baby Jesus no older than two years old, separated at the border and placed into a fenced border patrol detention facility “as more than 5,500 children have been the past three years.”

Citing a verse from Matthew, Ristine called upon readers to listen to the teachings of Jesus himself, to be kind, merciful and welcoming of all people.

“Inside the church, you will see this same family reunited, the Holy Family together, in a nativity that joins the angels in singing “Glory to God in the highest and on earth peace and good will to all.” Luke 2:14,” the post concluded, with an #endfamilyseparation hashtag.

Speaking to the Los Angeles Times, Ristine said the church often uses its nativity scene to highlight societal issues. Previous depictions have reflected California’s homelessness crisis, and a traditional nativity scene showing the Holy Family reunited is located within the church, she said.

The post sparked debate in the comments section. Many applauded the display as “powerful,” “relevant,” and “moving,” while others attacked the pastor and her message, arguing that the Holy Family were not refugees.

The depiction appears to be portraying the Holy Family’s flight to Egypt to seek refuge after an angel warned Joseph that King Herod sought to kill Jesus, an account of which is in the Gospel of Matthew.

In line with the pastor’s numbers, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) reports that close to 5,500 children have been separated at the border since July 2017 under the Trump administration’s policies. The organization received a court-ordered accounting of each of the families by the government in October after filing a lawsuit and found that of 1,556 children separated between July 2017 to June 2018, 207 were under five years of age. Of those children, 26 were one year old and 40 were two years old.

A federal judge ordered an end to the practice last year except in limited circumstances like threats to child safety. However, Associated Press reported in October that more than a thousand children had been separated since the administration was ordered to stop.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/church-nativity-umc-refugee-family-jesus-023015837.html

How many people would reject baby Jesus at the border? Makes you wonder doesn't it???  

If Jesus shows up tomorrow, many in America would refuse to let him in because he's a foreigner. Remember Jesus is of middle east decent… He isn't going to look like the average white guy.

B/A

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 9

I just can't  stand to read things like this for one to seek political gain.  To use the nativity scene  to feel sorry for breakers of our laws are among the lowest means to bring about ones political hatred of the  President of the US..  1st and foremost Joseph, Mary and Jesus fled because of king herod  wanting to kill our Lord.  One of satan's plots to destroy Gods plans of salvation.  There are a great many of these children that have been brought into the US as a dequise for the illegals to gain entry.  If the US had not taken possession of them many would have been left to their own devices.  Many were even bought as a way for the criminals to gain entry for their own illegal drug cartels to smuggle drug over the border.  This write up is proof that many of our churches and pastors have fallen wayside for self gain.  This Methodist pastor is just wrong to use our Lord in such a way.  She isn't  spreading the gospel, she has made a mockery of it.  If she were really called by God to preach the Word, then she would be trying to save souls instead of stirring conflict and discord among the American people.  It's quite apparent she is sitting on the left side of the fence, of course striding the fence would be no help.  She is among the many that have and are using God for ones own political gain.........pure blasphemy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 3

12 hours ago, learning all i can said:

I just can't  stand to read things like this for one to seek political gain.  To use the nativity scene  to feel sorry for breakers of our laws are among the lowest means to bring about ones political hatred of the  President of the US..  1st and foremost Joseph, Mary and Jesus fled because of king herod  wanting to kill our Lord.  One of satan's plots to destroy Gods plans of salvation.  There are a great many of these children that have been brought into the US as a dequise for the illegals to gain entry.  If the US had not taken possession of them many would have been left to their own devices.  Many were even bought as a way for the criminals to gain entry for their own illegal drug cartels to smuggle drug over the border.  This write up is proof that many of our churches and pastors have fallen wayside for self gain.  This Methodist pastor is just wrong to use our Lord in such a way.  She isn't  spreading the gospel, she has made a mockery of it.  If she were really called by God to preach the Word, then she would be trying to save souls instead of stirring conflict and discord among the American people.  It's quite apparent she is sitting on the left side of the fence, of course striding the fence would be no help.  She is among the many that have and are using God for ones own political gain.........pure blasphemy. 

I know this is controversial, but it is meant to make people think. So if they showed up at our border today, do you think our country would turn them away? That's the question.

I often wonder when I see the homeless and impoverished on our streets, what if that is Jesus? What if Jesus is searching for his true followers? Many, many people would fail his test of faith. Don't you agree?

B/A

• Thanks 2
  • Downvote 6

2 hours ago, bostonangler said:

I know this is controversial, but it is meant to make people think. So if they showed up at our border today, do you think our country would turn them away? That's the question.

I often wonder when I see the homeless and impoverished on our streets, what if that is Jesus? What if Jesus is searching for his true followers? Many, many people would fail his test of faith. Don't you agree?

B/A

yes many would fail the test but Jesus wasn't  an illegal.!!!  We also need to remember why God separated and made so many nations to begin with instead of keeping all people as one.   He alone will bring all nations and people back as one when His time is ready.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bostonangler said:

B/A

BA I believe Jesus is calling for us to help the less fortunate, NOT THE GOVERNMENT!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, umbertino said:

Some are forced ( all over the world) to do it illegally...Many factors playing in that

Perhaps if they were to rise up and demonstrate like many places in the world where people have been kept under the thumb of brutal government rule they could force the changes they need instead of doing nothing and have the status quo, while waiting for some benevolent country to bail them out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, md11fr8dawg said:

BA I believe Jesus is calling for us to help the less fortunate, NOT THE GOVERNMENT!! 

I agree md, it's too bad so many don't hear his calling... Just think how many people we could help if we didn't hand out corporate welfare so those CEOs can make hundreds of millions per year. Hundreds of millions... What do they do with all that money?

B/A

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

58 minutes ago, md11fr8dawg said:

Perhaps if they were to rise up and demonstrate like many places in the world where people have been kept under the thumb of brutal government rule they could force the changes they need instead of doing nothing and have the status quo, while waiting for some benevolent country to bail them out.

Right....Many of those come from problematic areas of the world ( wars, draughts, no work and so on)....

In respect to "instead of doing nothing"....If you're poor, with literally nothing and under a regime's thumb....There's not much you can do....You also most of the time do not even have the basic documents to leave the Country let alone being able to enter a new one legally...So......It's an extremely difficult and complex issue...We are lucky not to be in those conditions ourselves.....Very much so

Edited by umbertino
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, learning all i can said:

yes many would fail the test but Jesus wasn't  an illegal.!!!  We also need to remember why God separated and made so many nations to begin with instead of keeping all people as one.   He alone will bring all nations and people back as one when His time is ready.

Jesus would want refugees to be welcomed and accepted...It's part of the Christian spirit

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bostonangler said:

I agree md, it's too bad so many don't hear his calling... Just think how many people we could help if we didn't hand out corporate welfare so those CEOs can make hundreds of millions per year. Hundreds of millions... What do they do with all that money?

B/A

Exactly

• Downvote 1

16 hours ago, bostonangler said:

B/A

BA, they take that money and some expand and improve their company and their product line and the majority use that money to by political influence.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, umbertino said:

Right....Many of those come from problematic areas of the world ( wars, draughts, no work and so on)....

In respect to "instead of doing nothing"....If you're poor, with literally nothing and under a regime's thumb....There's not much you can do....You also most of the time do not even have the basic documents to leave the Country let alone being able to enter a new one legally...So......It's an extremely difficult and complex issue...We are lucky not to be in those conditions ourselves.....Very much so

Sorry Umbertino, but one of the most problematic places in the world is the ME. The citizens of Iraq are FAR from wealthy. It appears they are poor and oppressed. Yet, they managed to rise up as one and look at the results so far. Time will tell on their situation, but so far it is looking good. I pray they can maintain their pressure and expose and eliminate the corruption of the people whom they elect to serve them, who instead turn around and steal them blind

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, umbertino said:

Jesus would want refugees to be welcomed and accepted...It's part of the Christian spirit

Funny... Ask an American Indian what they think about illegals... LOL

It really is sad that people put boundaries on the lessons of Jesus. They only like the ones they agree with. Jesus wouldn't give two hoots about a green card. We are talking humanity not political acceptance.... Hell the Trumpkins here hate illegals even though Trump's wife came into America and was given preferential treatment... And her parents got gifted in..... But that's okay.

Jesus would be sadden by the people who use his teachings for personal preferences... And ignore them when they don't fit into their schemes.

B/A

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

15 hours ago, learning all i can said:

Refugees, yes...illegals? That's a BIG NO....

For those in trouble the difference is just a mere point in that if one has to escape, flee in a hurry...then  documents are last thing in their minds ...Besides in some places it's difficult to obtain documents esp in poor countries with high levels of corruption.....

And some destination countries make it virtually impossible to get there legally...

Edited by umbertino
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, umbertino said:

For those in trouble the difference is just a mere point in that if one has to escape, flee in a hurry...then  documents are last thing in their minds ...Besides in some places it's difficult to obtain documents esp in poor countries with high levels of corruption.....

And some destination countries make it virtually impossible to get there legally...

Umb, I agree but there are many, many poor, in trouble and many injustices all around the world.  The USA is not a refugee camp for all that want to escape.  We have laws.  If all came that wanted to be here, we could not place them in homes, jobs would diminish and wages would drop in a way that the American people couldn't even care for themselves with the cost of living.  Could we even feed the multitudes?  The US accepts refugees but that number is limited per year for all good reasons.  These are our laws and I might add that I believe they are good laws. They just need to be carried out more fully in my opinion.

If one feels that the laws for immigrants are not right then maybe they should go packing.  If one feels US laws are not right then let your country and others take them all in with open arms.  If all came that wanted to come, we the US would soon become the same 3rd world country they have fled.  Do I feel sorry for many if them?  Yes I do but the USA is not here to take care of every nation around the world.  We have enough unwanted babies, starving children and violence with out every other's country.  How many homeless illegals have you taken in lately.  How much of your tax dollars go to illegals?  Does that gaul you that your $s go to illegals?  It does me.  By the way, the US use to be the highest number among Christian's of every nation, we now have every Buddhist, Islamist, hindu, Bali and everything else that Christianity has become scarce.  These folks come and won't even try to learn our language.  We have to adapt to them.  Schooling cost more be cause we now have to have bilingual teachers.  Where does this addition money come from?  It sure ain't from help from other nations.  No Umb it's the American tax payers.....I'm taxed out.  So before you and others get on this pity party for illegals and law breakers, don't  come to me about "what would Jesus do?"  If you are so fired up about what God did then you need to read the Bible and find out some facts before throwing out the lonely hearts club band wagon to me.  

Come legally, go thru the necessary laws then we can get to "come on in, we're here for ya."  If you can't come by our laws set forth, then you need to stay away because you are nothing more than a criminal begin with.  

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, learning all i can said:

Come legally, go thru the necessary laws then we can get to "come on in, we're here for ya."  If you can't come by our laws set forth, then you need to stay away because you are nothing more than a criminal begin with.  

Summarizes it pretty good IMO.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, bostonangler said:

If God said that, there would be a lot of people outside looking... I'm just saying

B/A

YOU  know what?  GOD DID SEPARATE HIS PEOPLE......That's what I've been hinting at but you and Umb just don't  read sometimes and put 2 and 2 together.......if God hadn't  separate His people in the beginning  I guess we would All be one big group of pagan heathens hell bound people.  Get a grip and quite using God and Jesus to make your points about your bias.  You're beginning to sound like nancy Pelosi using her Catholic faith when it benefits her political stand.........Hey, I'll  take to ya all day long about Jesus if ya want to but not for the benefit of politics or His holy name being USED to bring about a other parties persuasion.    So, I believe it's time you get off of God unless ya wanna talk about faith and His Word.  Better yet, go and read the OT where God made His people a separate people.....He even tells ya why.....

1 hour ago, bostonangler said:

If God said that, there would be a lot of people outside looking... I'm just saying

1 hour ago, Shabibilicious said:

Fortunately, the donkey that brought them to the border was allowed to cross without any papers.  :huh:

As you may know I am a bit bias as my Little Sister was shot dead with a bullet to her head by an illegal sucker who wanted a tear drop.

To bad he did not know who he was shooting at because he only got 7 years.... You know CA has some very lacks laws when it come to those folks.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, learning all i can said:

YOU  know what?  GOD DID SEPARATE HIS PEOPLE......That's what I've been hinting at but you and Umb just don't  read sometimes and put 2 and 2 together.......if God hadn't  separate His people in the beginning  I guess we would All be one big group of pagan heathens hell bound people.  Get a grip and quite using God and Jesus to make your points about your bias.  You're beginning to sound like nancy Pelosi using her Catholic faith when it benefits her political stand.........Hey, I'll  take to ya all day long about Jesus if ya want to but not for the benefit of politics or His holy name being USED to bring about a other parties persuasion.    So, I believe it's time you get off of God unless ya wanna talk about faith and His Word.  Better yet, go and read the OT where God made His people a separate people.....He even tells ya why.....

Cool for you...

• Thanks 1

Umb, I agree but there are many, many poor, in trouble and many injustices all around the world.  The USA is not a refugee camp for all that want to escape. 

End Quote

Hello LAIC...Wasn't talking about the USA  but of all the main destination countries......Many ( like mine for example) make it extremely difficult to enter legally.....In the case of EU those rich politicians should create a bill addressing the issue and involving all EU countries ( ie.sharing, distributing whichever quote of migrants getting to any EU nation) which is impossible if some already stated they will never accept not even one migrant ( Hungary and other eastern countries mainly...)...

I'd say in that case then do not give the country stating such the monies they ask EU for...Simple

• Thanks 1