Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

NATO Leaders Caught On Camera Mocking Trump

AFP

NATO leaders caught on camera mocking Trump

AFPDecember 4, 2019, 3:11 AM EST

appear to make fun of Trump
Yahoo News Video
yahooNews-320605-1575459510803.jpg
Scroll back up to restore default view.

Watford (United Kingdom) (AFP) - The leaders of Britain, Canada, France and the Netherlands have been caught on camera at a Buckingham Palace reception mocking US President Donald Trump's lengthy media appearances ahead of Wedensday's NATO summit.

The footage, shot by the British host's camera pool on Tuesday evening and spotted and subtitled by Canada's CBC, set the tone for the allies' summit in Watford, just outside London.

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson can be heard asking France's President Emmanuel Macron: "Is that why you were late?"

Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau interjects: "He was late because he takes a 40 minute press conference off the top."

Earlier Tuesday, Macron's one-on-one pre-summit meeting with Trump had been proceeded by a lengthy question and answer session with the media, as the leaders publicly disagreed about NATO strategy and trade.

In the video, Macron appears to tell an anecdote about the encounter as Britain's Princess Anne and Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte look on, but the French leader's back is to camera and he is inaudible amid the hubbub.

"Oh, yeah, yeah, he announced..." an amused Trudeau declares, adding: "You just watched his team's jaw drop to the floor."

As he did at last year's NATO meeting, Trump has thrown out normal summit protocol and used his appearances with allied leaders to field dozens of questions from the world's media.

He has condemned as "nasty" Macron's criticism of NATO, branded European countries that have failed to meet military spending targets "delinquent" and railed against moves in Washington to impeach him.

Trump is due to give another news conference, this time on his own, later Wednesday after the 29 NATO leaders hold a full three-hour closed-door summit session and issue a statement to celebrate their unity.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nato-leaders-caught-camera-mocking-trump-081102749.html

Even Boris Johnson seemed to enjoy the sewing circle banter.....probably just thankful he's not the target of ridicule.  :blink:

GO RV, then BV

• Thanks 2
  • Downvote 3

Politics

Trump was embarrassed on the first day of the NATO summit, and it shows no one is bothering to take him seriously anymore

Business InsiderDecember 4, 2019, 9:11 AM EST

Yahoo News Video

• President Donald Trump is at the second day of the NATO leaders' summit in England.

• He entered the conference on Tuesday triumphant and claiming credit for the defense alliance's budget changes.

• But that success waned quickly as the day went on, as French President Emmanuel Macron openly questioned his claims, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau appeared to mock him behind his back, and UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson refused to be photographed with him.

• All of these leaders had been openly diplomatic and friendly with Trump in the past. Their behavior on Tuesday showed a world no longer bothering to take the US president seriously.

• Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.

President Donald Trump entered the NATO summit triumphant, claiming credit for large structural changes in the alliance's defense spending.

But his first day turned out to encompass one embarrassment after another, with multiple world leaders openly sparring with him and appearing to mock him behind his back — suggesting that nobody is bothering to take him seriously anymore.

Shortly before meeting other Western leaders in London on Tuesday, Trump claimedcredit for NATO reducing the US government's contributions to the group and increasing those from other allies.

Though this plan had been in place since 2014 — when Barack Obama was president — Trump took it as a personal victory because he had long railed against what he perceived as the US's outsize contribution to the defense alliance.

trump macron
trump macron

Ludovic Marin/Reuters

That feeling of triumph most likely waned quickly, though, as the day went on. Here's a rundown of Trump's numerous embarrassments on Tuesday:

• He was publicly fact-checked by French President Emmanuel Macron — with whom he has touted having a strong relationship — at their joint press conference. Macron said the Islamic State terrorist group had not yet been defeated, despite Trump's repeated insistence that it had.

• Macron also challenged Trump's claim that ISIS fighters were "mostly from Europe."

• At a separate press conference with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Trump openly questioned one of NATO's founding principles, Article 5, which requires members to protect one another if under attack — prompting concern and criticism among NATO officials.

• Retired US Army Gen. Wesley Clark, a former NATO commander, told Business Insider's David Choi that Trump's comments were "a very rough way to play" with the alliance's principles and that "it undercuts deterrence, encourages potential adversaries, and erodes NATO itself."

Leaders of the NATO alliance countries, and its secretary general, join Britain's Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles the Prince of Wales, for a group picture during a reception at Buckingham Palace in London, Tuesday Dec. 3, 2019, as they gathered to mark 70-years of the alliance. Back row, from left: Xavier Bettel Prime Minister of Luxembourg; Egils Levits President of Latvia; Gitanas Nauseda President of Lithuania; Dusko Markovic Prime Minister of Montenegro; Erna Solberg Prime Minister of Norway; Mark Rutte Prime Minister of Netherlands; Zuzana Caputova President of Slovakia; Andrzej Duda President of Poland; Antonio Costa Prime Minister of Portugal; Klaus Iohannis President of Romania; Marjan Sarec Prime Minister of Slovenia. Middle row from left: Edi Rama Prime Minister of Albania; Zoran Zaev Prime Minister of North Macedonia; Mette Frederiksen Prime Minister of Denmark; Juri Ratas Prime Minister of Estonia; Emmanuel Macron President of France; Angela Merkel President of Germany; Kyriakos Mitsotakis Prime Minister of Greece; Viktor Orban Prime Minister of Hungary; Katrin Jakobsdottir Prime Minister of Iceland; Giuseppe Conte Prime Minister of Italy; Andrej Plenkovic Prime Minister of Croatia. Seated from left: Sophie Wilmas Prime Minister of Belgium; Rumen Radev President of Bulgaria; Donald Trump President of United States; Prince Charles The Prince of Wales; Jens Stoltenberg NATO Secretary General; Queen Elizabeth II; Boris Johnson Prime Minister of the United Kingdom; Justin Trudeau Prime Minister of Canada; Pedro Sanchez Acting Prime Minister of Spain; Recep Tayyip Erdogan President of Turkey; Milos Zeman President of the Czech Republic. (Yui Mok/Pool via AP)
Leaders of the NATO alliance countries, and its secretary general, join Britain's Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles the Prince of Wales, for a group picture during a reception at Buckingham Palace in London, Tuesday Dec. 3, 2019, as they gathered to mark 70-years of the alliance. Back row, from left: Xavier Bettel Prime Minister of Luxembourg; Egils Levits President of Latvia; Gitanas Nauseda President of Lithuania; Dusko Markovic Prime Minister of Montenegro; Erna Solberg Prime Minister of Norway; Mark Rutte Prime Minister of Netherlands; Zuzana Caputova President of Slovakia; Andrzej Duda President of Poland; Antonio Costa Prime Minister of Portugal; Klaus Iohannis President of Romania; Marjan Sarec Prime Minister of Slovenia. Middle row from left: Edi Rama Prime Minister of Albania; Zoran Zaev Prime Minister of North Macedonia; Mette Frederiksen Prime Minister of Denmark; Juri Ratas Prime Minister of Estonia; Emmanuel Macron President of France; Angela Merkel President of Germany; Kyriakos Mitsotakis Prime Minister of Greece; Viktor Orban Prime Minister of Hungary; Katrin Jakobsdottir Prime Minister of Iceland; Giuseppe Conte Prime Minister of Italy; Andrej Plenkovic Prime Minister of Croatia. Seated from left: Sophie Wilmas Prime Minister of Belgium; Rumen Radev President of Bulgaria; Donald Trump President of United States; Prince Charles The Prince of Wales; Jens Stoltenberg NATO Secretary General; Queen Elizabeth II; Boris Johnson Prime Minister of the United Kingdom; Justin Trudeau Prime Minister of Canada; Pedro Sanchez Acting Prime Minister of Spain; Recep Tayyip Erdogan President of Turkey; Milos Zeman President of the Czech Republic. (Yui Mok/Pool via AP) More

Associated Press

trump macron nato
trump macron nato

Screenshot/CBC

This all shows world leaders aren't bothering to take Trump seriously anymore.

Macron's publicly schooling Trump in front of dozens of reporters is a far cry from the two leaders' "bromance" two years ago.

Trudeau's apparent willingness to mock Trump in front of other world leaders contrasts heavily with the Canadian prime minister's pledge to himself in 2016 to criticize only the comments, rather than the character, of his American counterpart.

"There was a discipline that I imposed on myself early," Trudeau had told the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation journalist Aaron Wherry, who wrote a book about the prime minister.

Johnson's refusal to be publicly seen with Trump also comes as a huge snub to the US president, who in October had endorsed him in the election.

boris Johnson donald trump

Getty

George Conway, the husband of the senior White House counselor, Kellyanne Conway, tweeted in response to the video showing the world leaders on Tuesday, saying Trump was "the laughing stock of the planet."

"The world thinks you are an incompetent, ignorant, dumb, deranged buffoon — and they are right," Conway continued. "And you prove it to them every day."

Trump, on his end, has put on a veneer of success at the NATO summit on his social-media accounts. It remains unclear how long that will last.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-completely-embarrassed-first-day-113300002.html

GO RV, then BV

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 5

How long is Trump going to keep Kellyanne around with George popping off like that. Also, we already know that POTUS Trump is at the least "unconventional." Which is why 63 million Americans elected him. Darn his methods, hate him or love him he is getting results. Such as those NATO countries that have been historically delinquent in their 2% of GDP contributions are paying up now. Or at least paying significantly more than in the past, with a plan to get to the 2% asap. They are just angry because no one wants to be known as a deadbeat , even on a international basis. Or a proven deadbeat , that is doing business with the very country we (US an NATO) are suppose to be protecting them from. Remember last year when Germany was called out for lack of payments and that $800 million oil and gas pipeline with Russia, instead of doing that same deal with the US or US partners. Sounds like these saps are anticipating another ass-et wooping this year. Poland is looking better and better as a location to which we could move our entire US Based European Operational command to, including bases, hospitals, and logistics. Outta Germany and into Poland. That will work.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

Yea the same freking people that are crying for another 29 billion from WE The People...

U.N. Cries Poor [Again]: Issues Unprecedented $29 Billion Emergency Funding Appeal

I don't like to cus at all but Man (Woman) I am really close!

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/12/04/u-n-cries-poor-again-issues-unprecedented-29-billion-emergency-funding-appeal/

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

In less than 2 yrs the whole world is going to take him as the most serious person alive. At least those that are left. 

Explain, please.  If it's just another one of those cryptic doomsday predictions, don't bother....as most know Trump is certainly the right narcissist to accomplish that mission.

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 6

'He's two-faced': Trump, mad at Trudeau, says he's leaving NATO summit early

Dylan Stableford 3 hours ago 

yahooNews-320640-1575469389084.jpg

President Trump on Wednesday showed his annoyance at Justin Trudeau after video surfaced of the Canadian prime minister apparently mocking him during a conversation with other world leaders at the NATO summit in London.

The president then said he would skip the usual post-summit press conference and fly home early.

“He’s two-faced,” Trump said when asked about Trudeau and the video clip, which was taken at the NATO reception at Buckingham Palace Tuesday night.

In the footage, which was shot from a distance by a camera crew covering the casual event but is only intermittently audible, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson can be heard asking French President Emmanuel Macron why he was late.

“He was late because he takes a 40-minute press conference off the top,” Trudeau interjected in an apparent reference to Trump’s lengthy question-and-answer sessions with reporters before bilateral meetings on the sidelines of the summit. “I just watched his team’s jaws drop to the floor.”

Trump made his remark about Trudeau’s hypocrisy to reporters on Wednesday afternoon. He then canceled plans to attend the traditional closing press conference with the other NATO leaders and said he would fly back early to Washington.

President Trump shakes hands with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau during a meeting in London on Tuesday. (Photo by Nicholas Kamm/AFP via Getty Images) President Trump shakes hands with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau during a meeting in London on Tuesday. (Photo: Nicholas Kamm/AFP via Getty Images)

The president met with Trudeau on Tuesday afternoon. During their sit-down, Trump raised the issue of Canada’s defense spending in the NATO alliance, calling Trudeau “slightly delinquent” for failing to meet the NATO target of 2 percent of its gross domestic product on defense.

Canada spends 1.27 percent of GDP on its military.

“Honestly with Trudeau, he’s a nice guy, I find him to be a very nice guy,” Trump continued. “But you know, the truth is I called him out on the fact that he’s not paying 2 percent, and I guess he’s not very happy about it.

“He’s not paying 2 percent, and he should be paying 2 percent,” the president continued. “It’s Canada. They have money. And they should be paying 2 percent. And I called him out on that and I’m sure he wasn’t happy about it, but that’s the way it is. Look, I’m representing the U.S. And he should be paying more than he’s paying, and he understands that. So I can imagine he’s not that happy, but that’s the way it is.”

_____

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-trudeau-two-faced-nato-leaders-video-mocking-him-145111328.html

Don't go away mad, Donald...just...

GO RV, then BV

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

16 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

Explain, please.  If it's just another one of those cryptic doomsday predictions, don't bother....as most know Trump is certainly the right narcissist to accomplish that mission.

GO RV, then BV

You Should study Eschatology. It may help you make the right decisions.

And "Narcissism " is just a minor character trait of his. 

• Thanks 3
  • Downvote 1

Just now, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

Then you are the blind attempting to lead the blind. 

I lead no one, and only minister to those I encounter personally who seek something tangible in times of despair or loss, as I'm no biblical scholar, nor claim to be.  And I certainly don't cherry pick "signs" to fulfill a desired narrative.....I find it best to view the world as a whole.  

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

.I find it best to view the world as a whole

My mother told me that if we could see ourselves as the world sees us it would change everything. 

If you truly see the world as a whole, we would be on the same page. I don't cherry pick 'signs' I study all of Eschatology and watch current events. EVERYTHING that was prophesied could easily fit today's world. But in the end how much more violence  (in the nuclear world) do you think can happen? 

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

My mother told me that if we could see ourselves as the world sees us it would change everything. 

If you truly see the world as a whole, we would be on the same page. I don't cherry pick 'signs' I study all of Eschatology and watch current events. EVERYTHING that was prophesied could easily fit today's world. But in the end how much more violence  (in the nuclear world) do you think can happen? 

Those words of your mother's are still very relevant and wise.....when used in the context of Trump himself, they ring hollow though.

GO RV, then BV 

Edited by Shabibilicious
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, Shabibilicious said:

'He's two-faced': Trump, mad at Trudeau, says he's leaving NATO summit early

Dylan Stableford 3 hours ago 

yahooNews-320640-1575469389084.jpg

President Trump on Wednesday showed his annoyance at Justin Trudeau after video surfaced of the Canadian prime minister apparently mocking him during a conversation with other world leaders at the NATO summit in London.

The president then said he would skip the usual post-summit press conference and fly home early.

“He’s two-faced,” Trump said when asked about Trudeau and the video clip, which was taken at the NATO reception at Buckingham Palace Tuesday night.

In the footage, which was shot from a distance by a camera crew covering the casual event but is only intermittently audible, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson can be heard asking French President Emmanuel Macron why he was late.

“He was late because he takes a 40-minute press conference off the top,” Trudeau interjected in an apparent reference to Trump’s lengthy question-and-answer sessions with reporters before bilateral meetings on the sidelines of the summit. “I just watched his team’s jaws drop to the floor.”

Trump made his remark about Trudeau’s hypocrisy to reporters on Wednesday afternoon. He then canceled plans to attend the traditional closing press conference with the other NATO leaders and said he would fly back early to Washington.

President Trump shakes hands with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau during a meeting in London on Tuesday. (Photo by Nicholas Kamm/AFP via Getty Images) President Trump shakes hands with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau during a meeting in London on Tuesday. (Photo: Nicholas Kamm/AFP via Getty Images)

The president met with Trudeau on Tuesday afternoon. During their sit-down, Trump raised the issue of Canada’s defense spending in the NATO alliance, calling Trudeau “slightly delinquent” for failing to meet the NATO target of 2 percent of its gross domestic product on defense.

Canada spends 1.27 percent of GDP on its military.

“Honestly with Trudeau, he’s a nice guy, I find him to be a very nice guy,” Trump continued. “But you know, the truth is I called him out on the fact that he’s not paying 2 percent, and I guess he’s not very happy about it.

“He’s not paying 2 percent, and he should be paying 2 percent,” the president continued. “It’s Canada. They have money. And they should be paying 2 percent. And I called him out on that and I’m sure he wasn’t happy about it, but that’s the way it is. Look, I’m representing the U.S. And he should be paying more than he’s paying, and he understands that. So I can imagine he’s not that happy, but that’s the way it is.”

_____

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-trudeau-two-faced-nato-leaders-video-mocking-him-145111328.html

Don't go away mad, Donald...just...

GO RV, then BV

At least Trump did not call him "blackfaced"....

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, Shabibilicious said:
Politics

Trump was embarrassed on the first day of the NATO summit, and it shows no one is bothering to take him seriously anymore

Business InsiderDecember 4, 2019, 9:11 AM EST

Yahoo News Video

• President Donald Trump is at the second day of the NATO leaders' summit in England.

• He entered the conference on Tuesday triumphant and claiming credit for the defense alliance's budget changes.

• But that success waned quickly as the day went on, as French President Emmanuel Macron openly questioned his claims, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau appeared to mock him behind his back, and UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson refused to be photographed with him.

• All of these leaders had been openly diplomatic and friendly with Trump in the past. Their behavior on Tuesday showed a world no longer bothering to take the US president seriously.

• Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.

President Donald Trump entered the NATO summit triumphant, claiming credit for large structural changes in the alliance's defense spending.

But his first day turned out to encompass one embarrassment after another, with multiple world leaders openly sparring with him and appearing to mock him behind his back — suggesting that nobody is bothering to take him seriously anymore.

Shortly before meeting other Western leaders in London on Tuesday, Trump claimedcredit for NATO reducing the US government's contributions to the group and increasing those from other allies.

Though this plan had been in place since 2014 — when Barack Obama was president — Trump took it as a personal victory because he had long railed against what he perceived as the US's outsize contribution to the defense alliance.

trump macron
trump macron

Ludovic Marin/Reuters

That feeling of triumph most likely waned quickly, though, as the day went on. Here's a rundown of Trump's numerous embarrassments on Tuesday:

• He was publicly fact-checked by French President Emmanuel Macron — with whom he has touted having a strong relationship — at their joint press conference. Macron said the Islamic State terrorist group had not yet been defeated, despite Trump's repeated insistence that it had.

• Macron also challenged Trump's claim that ISIS fighters were "mostly from Europe."

• At a separate press conference with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Trump openly questioned one of NATO's founding principles, Article 5, which requires members to protect one another if under attack — prompting concern and criticism among NATO officials.

• Retired US Army Gen. Wesley Clark, a former NATO commander, told Business Insider's David Choi that Trump's comments were "a very rough way to play" with the alliance's principles and that "it undercuts deterrence, encourages potential adversaries, and erodes NATO itself."

Leaders of the NATO alliance countries, and its secretary general, join Britain's Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles the Prince of Wales, for a group picture during a reception at Buckingham Palace in London, Tuesday Dec. 3, 2019, as they gathered to mark 70-years of the alliance. Back row, from left: Xavier Bettel Prime Minister of Luxembourg; Egils Levits President of Latvia; Gitanas Nauseda President of Lithuania; Dusko Markovic Prime Minister of Montenegro; Erna Solberg Prime Minister of Norway; Mark Rutte Prime Minister of Netherlands; Zuzana Caputova President of Slovakia; Andrzej Duda President of Poland; Antonio Costa Prime Minister of Portugal; Klaus Iohannis President of Romania; Marjan Sarec Prime Minister of Slovenia. Middle row from left: Edi Rama Prime Minister of Albania; Zoran Zaev Prime Minister of North Macedonia; Mette Frederiksen Prime Minister of Denmark; Juri Ratas Prime Minister of Estonia; Emmanuel Macron President of France; Angela Merkel President of Germany; Kyriakos Mitsotakis Prime Minister of Greece; Viktor Orban Prime Minister of Hungary; Katrin Jakobsdottir Prime Minister of Iceland; Giuseppe Conte Prime Minister of Italy; Andrej Plenkovic Prime Minister of Croatia. Seated from left: Sophie Wilmas Prime Minister of Belgium; Rumen Radev President of Bulgaria; Donald Trump President of United States; Prince Charles The Prince of Wales; Jens Stoltenberg NATO Secretary General; Queen Elizabeth II; Boris Johnson Prime Minister of the United Kingdom; Justin Trudeau Prime Minister of Canada; Pedro Sanchez Acting Prime Minister of Spain; Recep Tayyip Erdogan President of Turkey; Milos Zeman President of the Czech Republic. (Yui Mok/Pool via AP)
Leaders of the NATO alliance countries, and its secretary general, join Britain's Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles the Prince of Wales, for a group picture during a reception at Buckingham Palace in London, Tuesday Dec. 3, 2019, as they gathered to mark 70-years of the alliance. Back row, from left: Xavier Bettel Prime Minister of Luxembourg; Egils Levits President of Latvia; Gitanas Nauseda President of Lithuania; Dusko Markovic Prime Minister of Montenegro; Erna Solberg Prime Minister of Norway; Mark Rutte Prime Minister of Netherlands; Zuzana Caputova President of Slovakia; Andrzej Duda President of Poland; Antonio Costa Prime Minister of Portugal; Klaus Iohannis President of Romania; Marjan Sarec Prime Minister of Slovenia. Middle row from left: Edi Rama Prime Minister of Albania; Zoran Zaev Prime Minister of North Macedonia; Mette Frederiksen Prime Minister of Denmark; Juri Ratas Prime Minister of Estonia; Emmanuel Macron President of France; Angela Merkel President of Germany; Kyriakos Mitsotakis Prime Minister of Greece; Viktor Orban Prime Minister of Hungary; Katrin Jakobsdottir Prime Minister of Iceland; Giuseppe Conte Prime Minister of Italy; Andrej Plenkovic Prime Minister of Croatia. Seated from left: Sophie Wilmas Prime Minister of Belgium; Rumen Radev President of Bulgaria; Donald Trump President of United States; Prince Charles The Prince of Wales; Jens Stoltenberg NATO Secretary General; Queen Elizabeth II; Boris Johnson Prime Minister of the United Kingdom; Justin Trudeau Prime Minister of Canada; Pedro Sanchez Acting Prime Minister of Spain; Recep Tayyip Erdogan President of Turkey; Milos Zeman President of the Czech Republic. (Yui Mok/Pool via AP) More

Associated Press

trump macron nato
trump macron nato

Screenshot/CBC

This all shows world leaders aren't bothering to take Trump seriously anymore.

Macron's publicly schooling Trump in front of dozens of reporters is a far cry from the two leaders' "bromance" two years ago.

Trudeau's apparent willingness to mock Trump in front of other world leaders contrasts heavily with the Canadian prime minister's pledge to himself in 2016 to criticize only the comments, rather than the character, of his American counterpart.

"There was a discipline that I imposed on myself early," Trudeau had told the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation journalist Aaron Wherry, who wrote a book about the prime minister.

Johnson's refusal to be publicly seen with Trump also comes as a huge snub to the US president, who in October had endorsed him in the election.

Getty

George Conway, the husband of the senior White House counselor, Kellyanne Conway, tweeted in response to the video showing the world leaders on Tuesday, saying Trump was "the laughing stock of the planet."

"The world thinks you are an incompetent, ignorant, dumb, deranged buffoon — and they are right," Conway continued. "And you prove it to them every day."

Trump, on his end, has put on a veneer of success at the NATO summit on his social-media accounts. It remains unclear how long that will last.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-completely-embarrassed-first-day-113300002.html

GO RV, then BV

Trumps kicking their asses and taking back our jobs.   Your complaint?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, gregp said:

Trumps kicking their asses and taking back our jobs.   Your complaint?

Kicking our NATO allies asses is not why NATO was formed.....And job numbers as well as our economy have been moving in the right direction for the better part of a decade....try and keep up, greg.  ;)

GO RV, then BV

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

From Friends to Frenemies? Trump's Relationships With World Leaders

f51493b0-e61c-11e9-b7d9-bf30c4db70dc
The New York TimesDecember 4, 2019
50d8def0-16a0-11ea-9f7b-66422e9659a4

From Friends to Frenemies? Trump's Relationships With World Leaders

LONDON — Their bromance once made headlines. But on Tuesday, it was clear that the days of President Donald Trump and President Emmanuel Macron of France trading cheek kisses and clasping hands were gone.

On the sidelines of a gathering for the 70th anniversary of NATO, Trump took his one-time friend to task, denouncing comments Macron made last month criticizing the U.S. president’s leadership of NATO, and calling into question several of the French leader’s policies.

Trump is known for trying to build personal relationships with his counterparts, but he also has a penchant for public feuds, fueled in part by his off-the-cuff approach to the news media and his regular Twitter rants.

And Macron is just one of a handful of one-time buddies whose initial coziness with Trump has turned cold.

Macron: Dinner at the Eiffel Tower, Then a Scolding

The budding friendship between Trump and Macron was on full display in the summer of 2017, when the U.S. president first traveled to France.

Macron pulled out all the stops: a military parade, dinner at the Eiffel Tower and lots of hand holding. Despite their differences on a number of issues, the pair poured on the charm.

During a later visit by Macron to the White House in April 2018, they kissed each other’s cheeks in a greeting, and at one point, Trump gently brushed what he said was dandruff from Macron’s shoulder.

They lavished praise on each other, and played down their disparate approaches to trade, immigration and climate change.

But by the end of last year, the relationship had begun to sour over policy differences. The kisses gave way to terse formalities and tight-lipped smiles whenever they met.

By early last month, Macron took off the gloves. He said that the United States under Trump appeared to be “turning its back on us,’’ and that a lack of American leadership and strategic coordination had led to NATO experiencing “brain death.’’

By the time the two leaders appeared together at a news conference Tuesday, the bromance appeared to have run its course. At one point, Trump called Macron’s diplomatic response to a question “one of the greatest nonanswers I have ever heard.”

And in one particularly heated exchange, as the two discussed the containment of Islamic State fighters in Syria, Trump tried to jokingly offer captive fighters to the French.

“Would you like some nice ISIS fighters?” Trump said.

“Let’s be serious,” was Macron’s curt reply.

Bolsonaro: Praise, Then Tariffs

When Trump met with President Jair Bolsonaro of Brazil in the White House for the first time in March, he had nothing but praise for the newly elected leader.

“I think Brazil’s relationship with the United States, because of our friendship, is probably better than it’s ever been by far,” Trump gushed.

Bolsonaro, a former army captain, had been criticized as an apologist for the military dictatorship that ruled Brazil for decades, and had made demeaning comments about women, minorities and homosexuals. But despite this, Trump welcomed him with warmth and promises that their personal relationship would help forge closer trade cooperation.

Their similarly brash personas and populist appeal had many predicting a harmonious future, and Bolsonaro soon made his close relationship with the U.S. president part of the foundation of his diplomacy.

His son, Eduardo Bolsonaro, a lawmaker in Brazil’s lower house, even wore a baseball cap with the slogan Make America Great Again — Trump 2020 when he visited the White House.

But relations have apparently cooled. On Monday, Trump pledged to slap tariffs on steel and aluminum from Brazil and Argentina, accusing both countries of manipulating their currencies at the expense of U.S. farmers.

Bolsonaro on Tuesday said he would take the issue up directly with Trump. But the tariffs may make it difficult for the two to resume their once cozy relationship.

Trudeau: A Fallout Over Trade

Trump and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of Canada — who has won international praise for his gender-balanced Cabinet and progressive policies — seemed unlikely to develop a close friendship. But for Trudeau, getting along with the powerful neighbor to the south is a priority.

So soon after Trump’s election, the Canadian prime minister embarked on a charm offensive, inviting Trump’s daughter, Ivanka, to take part in a meeting of female business leaders, for example. At least for a while, this kind of outreach seemed to work.

During Trudeau’s first visit with Trump at the White House in 2017, the leaders exchanged niceties and talked around policy issues. Trump later spoke of their “great personal relationship” when negotiations for a new North American Free Trade Agreement began.

The issue of trade, though, would prove their downfall.

Their breakup began in May 2018, when Trump announced that he was expanding tariffs on steel and aluminum to include Canada, the biggest exporter of the two metals to the United States. Canada returned the favor, swiftly announcing its own tariffs on $12.8 billion worth of U.S. goods.

A tense phone call followed — in which Trump brought up unfounded accusations of 200-year-old acts of aggression by Canada against the United States. By the time the Group of 7 summit meeting rolled round in June 2018, they were no longer holding back.

“Canadians are polite, we’re reasonable but we also will not be pushed around,” Trudeau said.

Trump bailed on the meeting early, and sent a pair of tweets calling Trudeau “very dishonest & weak.” He said the United States would not sign the agreement that the other participants had agreed on.

Abe: A Courtship Through Golf But Few Tangible Results

Trump and Prime Minister Shinzo Abe of Japan have logged a lot of hours together. They visited a sumo arena. They had dinners with their spouses. And they played golf — both at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida and during a May visit by the U.S. president to Tokyo.

“We got to know each other very, very well” on the golf course, Trump told reporters in 2017.

Aligning himself to Trump has been a critical part of Abe’s strategy to secure a beneficial bilateral trade deal with the United States, an agreement Trump had vowed would “be something very exciting.” And when Trump visited Tokyo, Abe described the occasion as an opportunity to enshrine the “unshakable bond” between them.

But Trump spent much of his time during that visit focusing on domestic issues, and in some cases his own grievances rather than relations with Japan.

And despite the dinners and time together, the two have been able to agree on only a limited trade deal that leaves out Japanese cars, industrial goods from the United States and farm products like rice, butter and sugar.

For Abe, the question is whether his investment in courting Trump has been worth it.

This article originally appeared in The New York Times.

https://news.yahoo.com/friends-frenemies-trumps-relationships-world-132511975.html

GO RV, then BV

Edited by Shabibilicious
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

18 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

Kicking our NATO allies asses is not why NATO was formed.....And job numbers as well as our economy have been moving in the right direction for the better part of a decade....try and keep up, greg.  ;)

GO RV, then BV

Oh, I’ve been keeping up. 
You corrupt little antifa supporter. 
You’ve turned a financial website into your brainwashing backyard. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, gregp said:

Oh, I’ve been keeping up. 
You corrupt little antifa supporter. 
You’ve turned a financial website into your brainwashing backyard. 

Apparently you support fascism, who knew?.....And let's be clear, nobody forces you to come down to the political forum....If you can't handle it, stay away....keep reading the rumor section and crossing your fingers and maybe good things will happen.  If you haven't noticed, Iraq is in shambles, protesting and violence is ramping up, so the chances of the dinar revaluing in that kind of environment are small at best.  Once again, keep up with what's happening.

GO RV, then BV

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7