Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

US putting pressure on Iraq amidst recent protests

Adam Montana

Link: https://www.rudaw.net/english/middleeast/iraq/131120191

*** I see a silver lining here. More on that in todays update :) 

Iraqi families grieve for slain protesters as politicians condemn US calls for reform

477464Image1.jpg?mode=crop&quality=70&ra
Mourners gather at Tahrir Square in Baghdad on November 12, 2019. Photo: Ziyad Matti

ERBIL, Kurdistan Region – Iraqi families continue to grieve for their dead while Iraqi  politicians busy themselves  condemning  US calls for snap elections and an end to violence against protesters. 

Since the start of the nationwide protests in Iraq on October 1, at least 319 protesters and members of the security forces have died and around 15,000 others have been wounded, according to the Parliamentary Human Rights Committee.  

Hundreds of families have lost beloved relatives during the protests. 

Tahrir Square, the focal point of the protests in the Iraq’s capital of Baghdad, has become a scene of mourning as the families of the dead light candles and pray for those killed. 

iraq%20embed.jpg
Women mourn protesters killed by security forces in Tahrir Square on November 12, 2019. Photo: Ziyad Matti

Protests in Iraq started on October 1 against corruption, lack of  basic services, and unemployment in Baghdad before it spreads to the  southern parts of the country.

However, they were met with deadly force, including the fire of live ammunition rounds and tear gas.  Protests paused on October 8 as the Shiite religious pilgrimage of Arbaeen approached.

A second wave of protests began on October 25. In response to the  violence enacted during the first wave of demonstrations, protesters  upped the ante and demanded the overthrow of the government, a change  of Iraq’s system to a presidential one, and the amendment of the 2005  constitution, among other demands.

In this video sourced from the messaging application Telegram, an elderly woman is seen transporting her son's body for burial.

“I lost  my son for the sake of Iraq, and if we lose another one , two  or even 10  million we will keep on protesting against this corrupted government,  all redeem for Muqtada al-Sadr, and the Sadrist movement,” she says. 

Iraqi politicians are busy responding to US statements released this week  against the government crackdown on protesters.

The White House released a statement on Sunday calling on the Iraqi  government to “halt the violence against the protesters,” and also  meet the demand of the protesters by holding “early elections.” 

Two days later, the US Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo had a phone call with the Iraqi Prime Minister, Adil Abdul-Mahdi, in which he urged the Iraqi PM to “protect the protesters and to address their  legitimate grievances.”  

iraq%20protests%203.jpg
A young girl joins commemorations in Tahrir Square. Photo: Ziyad Matti

“The Secretary deplored the death toll among the protesters as a  result of the Government of Iraq’s crackdown and use of lethal force,  as well as the reports of kidnapped protesters. Secretary Pompeo urged  Prime Minister Abd al-Mahdi to take immediate steps to address the  protesters’ legitimate grievances by enacting reforms and tackling  corruption,” according to a US State Department readout.

Despite the difference of opinion between rival Iraqi blocs, many were  united in their rejection of the US statement.

Iranian-backed Islamic movements in Iraq have released statements accusing Washington of interfering in Iraq’s internal issues and affairs.

Iranian-backed Kataab Hezbollah militia released a statement on  Tuesday calling on expelling the US ambassador in Baghdad and closing  the US embassy in the capital city of Iraq. 

“US has been interfering in Iraq’s issues in order to spread chaos and  instability by creating unrest,” the statement read. “We ask to expel the  US ambassador and close the US embassy in Baghdad.”

Muqtada al-Sadr, firebrand Shiite cleric in Iraq and head of the  biggest bloc in Iraqi parliament Sairoon coalition, tweeted on Monday  that US interference in Iraq’s issues is “refused by Iraqis and Iraqis  are capable to decide on their fate and country by themselves without  the interference from US or the others.” 

In the tweet, Sadr described the US as “invaders.”

Qais al-Khazali, the secretary general of Asaib Ahl al-Haq, a Hashd  al-Shaabi unit, said in a Monday tweet that “The White House statement  revealed the extent of American intervention in Iraqi affairs, and it  is a proof that the early elections project is mainly an American  project." 

Hashd al-Shaabi is the Arabic term for the Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF), which are also linked to Tehran.

Edited by Adam Montana
added link to today's update
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 10
  • Upvote 1

I believe the demonstration put a lot of pressure on the political system and prompted the three authorities to review their positions to meet many of the demands made by the demonstrators.

-Iran interventionist 

-financial and administrative corruption 

-lack of basic services 

-unemployment 

-important laws 

Still some work to do..... In my opinion the probabilities for an RV are higher in the first quarter of 2020

Go RV

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Laid Back said:

I believe the demonstration put a lot of pressure on the political system and prompted the three authorities to review their positions to meet many of the demands made by the demonstrators.

-Iran interventionist 

-financial and administrative corruption 

-lack of basic services 

-unemployment 

-important laws 

Still some work to do..... In my opinion the probabilities for an RV are higher in the first quarter of 2020

Go RV

:twothumbs: Oh, YEAH!!!, Laid Back, AND The Very Best Of The Rest Of Your Week AND Up Coming Weekend To You!!! :tiphat:

A Red Rubymeister Gave You A Red Ruby Citation As A Badge Of Honor For You For "Display Of Intellectual Speed And Power"!!!

I gave You a purple trophy instead. I hope You don't mind. :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:

Go Moola Nova!

:pirateship:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

9 hours ago, Synopsis said:

:twothumbs: Oh, YEAH!!!, Laid Back, AND The Very Best Of The Rest Of Your Week AND Up Coming Weekend To You!!! :tiphat:

A Red Rubymeister Gave You A Red Ruby Citation As A Badge Of Honor For You For "Display Of Intellectual Speed And Power"!!!

I gave You a purple trophy instead. I hope You don't mind. :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:

Go Moola Nova!

:pirateship:

Thanks for your input my friend 👍🏼😊

🏆right back to you.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Calijim said:

Other countries putting words in Iraqi mouths. All I can say is they didn’t burn our embassy like they burnt Iran’s. What’s that tell you

tells me the citizens are fed up finally , the writing has been on the wall to read for years now with iran and the jacked up goi ...

cheers , heres hoping

• Upvote 2