Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Supreme Court says Sandy Hook families can sue Remington

Supreme Court says Sandy Hook families can sue Remington

The Supreme Court is letting the lawsuit against the maker of the rifle used in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting go forward.

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 10:05AM

WASHINGTON -- The Supreme Court said Tuesday that a survivor and relatives of victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting can pursue their lawsuit against the maker of the rifle used to kill 26 people.

The justices rejected an appeal from Remington Arms that argued it should be shielded by a 2005 federal law preventing most lawsuits against firearms manufacturers when their products are used in crimes.

The case is being watched by gun control advocates, gun rights supporters and gun manufacturers across the country, as it has the potential to provide a roadmap for victims of other mass shootings to circumvent the federal law and sue the makers of firearm.

The court's order allows the lawsuit filed in Connecticut state court by a survivor and relatives of nine victims who died at the Newtown, Connecticut, school on Dec. 14, 2012, to go forward.

The lawsuit says the Madison, North Carolina-based company should never have sold a weapon as dangerous as the Bushmaster AR-15-style rifle to the public. Gunman Adam Lanza used it to kill 20 first graders and six educators. It also alleges Remington targeted younger, at-risk males in marketing and product placement in violent video games. Lanza was 20 years old.

"The families are grateful that the Supreme Court upheld precedent and denied Remington's latest attempt to avoid accountability," said Joshua Koskoff, a lawyer for the Sandy Hook families.

"We are ready to resume discovery and proceed towards trial in order to shed light on Remington's profit-driven strategy to expand the AR-15 market and court high-risk users at the expense of Americans' safety," he said.

Messages seeking comment were left with a lawyer for Remington Arms on Tuesday.

Before the school shooting, Lanza shot his mother to death at their Newtown home. He killed himself as police arrived at the school. The rifle was legally owned by his mother.

The Connecticut Supreme Court had earlier ruled 4-3 that the lawsuit could proceed for now, citing an exemption in the federal law. The decision overturned a ruling by a trial court judge who dismissed the lawsuit based on the 2005 federal law, named the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act.

The federal law has been criticized by gun control advocates as being too favorable to gun-makers. It has been cited by other courts that rejected lawsuits against gun-makers and dealers in other high-profile shooting attacks, including the 2012 Colorado movie theater shooting and the Washington, D.C., sniper shootings in 2002.

The National Rifle Association, 10 mainly Republican-led states and 22 Republicans in Congress were among those urging the court to jump into the case and end the lawsuit against Remington.

Copyright © 2019 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.
  • Upvote 1

Finally....the mere fact that this case ended up in the Supreme Court should be proof enough for the conspiracy hacks, breitbarters and Infowars slackers that this murderous atrocity of children and teachers did indeed occur.  

That said, some thing's are pretty clear in life.....don't give a drug addict drugs....don't give a gambling addict money....don't give mentally deficient people guns.....Give them what they need, intervention, help.  As always, just my opinion.

The movie Runaway Jury comes to mind with respect to this thread.

GO RV, then BV

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, bostonangler said:

Obviously the event was real.. Only a fool would say otherwise. However I don't think people should be able to sue the gun maker. That's like saying I can sue a car maker because a drunk hit me... That needs to change.

B/A

Probably not the car maker....but you might be able to make a buck off the brewery.  ;)

GO RV, then BV

• Haha 1

LAWSUIT: "The lawsuit says the Madison, North Carolina-based company should never have sold a weapon as dangerous as the Bushmaster AR-15-style rifle to the public. Gunman Adam Lanza used it to kill 20 first graders and six educators. It also alleges Remington targeted younger, at-risk males in marketing and product placement in violent video games. Lanza was 20 years old.

If this is their argument, then good luck!

This is like arguing that butter knives are more of a weapon than forks. They both may get the job done, but to argue one was made to be more lethal than the other, this argument will be difficult to make.

Indy

9 minutes ago, Indraman said:

LAWSUIT: "The lawsuit says the Madison, North Carolina-based company should never have sold a weapon as dangerous as the Bushmaster AR-15-style rifle to the public. Gunman Adam Lanza used it to kill 20 first graders and six educators. It also alleges Remington targeted younger, at-risk males in marketing and product placement in violent video games. Lanza was 20 years old.

If this is their argument, then good luck!

This is like arguing that butter knives are more of a weapon than forks. They both may get the job done, but to argue one was made to be more lethal than the other, this argument will be difficult to make.

Indy

Well at least we know Sandy Hook isn't fake news... Or some crazy conspiracy by George Soros...

B/A

• Downvote 2

10 hours ago, nstoolman1 said:

Every company that sells anything to the public should be scared, very scared of this case. 

3 hours ago, GregHi said:

Awesome! Since I’m obese I think I’ll sue the company that made my silverware. Ridiculous!!

29 minutes ago, bostonangler said:

Obviously the event was real.. Only a fool would say otherwise. However I don't think people should be able to sue the gun maker. That's like saying I can sue a car maker because a drunk hit me... That needs to change.

Agree with every one of theses. Now when a drunk driver kills someone, the family of the deceased will be able to go after the alcohol maker. What happen to  someone taking responsibility for their actions?

I guess this means I can eat all of the Mexican food I want now. I know when I get grossly overweight and have diabetes from all the tacos, enchiladas and tortillas I am gonna sue Mexico for inventing it. I guess I will sue the Nordic Track company too. When I use their equipment and try to lose all that weight, their equipment makes my muscles hurt, then I can't workout because of that. :huh:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 8th ID said:

Agree with every one of theses. Now when a drunk driver kills someone, the family of the deceased will be able to go after the alcohol maker. What happen to  someone taking responsibility for their actions?

I guess this means I can eat all of the Mexican food I want now. I know when I get grossly overweight and have diabetes from all the tacos, enchiladas and tortillas I am gonna sue Mexico for inventing it. I guess I will sue the Nordic Track company too. When I use their equipment and try to lose all that weight, their equipment makes my muscles hurt, then I can't workout because of that. :huh:

Yup people are looking for ways to hit the lottery. If I was on a jury for one of these cases they wouldn't get a dime.

B/A

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bostonangler said:

Yup people are looking for ways to hit the lottery. If I was on a jury for one of these cases they wouldn't get a dime.

B/A

Yep, you are right. We have let the civil courts go to waste over stuff like this. Look at all the warning labels that have to be put on everything you buy today because some moron got hurt with it.

I have always said the gene pool needs a little chlorine every now and then.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, bostonangler said:

B/A

A few years ago....Someone ( can't recall if male or female) in the US went into McDonald's for breakfast ....While sipping coffee he/she felt  his tongue slightly burning...

He/she sued McDonald's for that....It was determined the coffee got heated  at a superior temperature ( 2/3 degrees more) than planned ....He / she got more than $700,000

Edited by umbertino