Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

What to do with my guns now?

https://www.ky3.com/content/news/Beto-ORourke-drops-out-of-2020-presidential-race-564245321.html?fbclid=IwAR2BhsTiJVjkixc03GGPR9hpwcAHaMHvMGYtkv3eAftLKSYKRBVu582SyqI

Beto O'Rourke announces he's dropping 2020 presidential bid

By WILL WEISSERT and JULIE PACE Associated Press | 
Posted: Fri 4:49 PM, Nov 01, 2019  | 
Updated: Fri 9:37 PM, Nov 01, 2019

WASHINGTON (AP) - Beto O'Rourke, the former Texas congressman, announced Friday that he was ending his Democratic presidential campaign, which failed to recapture the enthusiasm, interest and fundraising prowess of his 2018 Senate race.

1101_Beto_O'Rourke_AP+3.jpg
Democrat Beto O'Rourke ends his presidential campaign. (AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez)

Addressing supporters in Iowa, O'Rourke said he made the decision "reluctantly" and vowed to stay active in the fight to defeat President Donald Trump. "I will be part of this and so will you," he said.

O'Rourke was urged to run for president by many Democrats, including supporters of former President Barack Obama, who were energized by his narrow Senate loss last year in Texas, a reliably Republican state. He raised a record $80 million from donors across the country, visited every county in Texas and used social media and livestreaming video to engage directly with voters. He ultimately lost to incumbent Republican Sen. Ted Cruz by 3 percentage points.

But O'Rourke, 47, struggled to replicate that model in the presidential primary, and both his polling and his fundraising dwindled significantly in recent months.

"We have to clearly see, at this point, that we did not have the means to pursue this campaign successfully and that my service will not be as a candidate, nor as a nominee of this party for the presidency," O'Rourke said.

O'Rourke's decision comes as the Democratic primary enters a critical stretch. With three months until the kickoff Iowa caucuses, polls consistently show a trio of candidates leading the way: former Vice President Joe Biden, Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, with Pete Buttigieg, the mayor of South Bend, Indiana, showing strength in Iowa, as well. Lower polling candidates face difficult questions about whether they have the money to sustain a campaign through the first primary contests.

Earlier this week, Kamala Harris, another candidate who entered the race to much fanfare, announced she was downscaling her campaign, laying off some staffers and reorienting almost exclusively to focus on Iowa.

O'Rourke entered the race as the feel-good, dynamic candidate who had the ability to appeal to both Republicans and Democrats and work across the aisle in Washington.

But he immediately faced criticism that he had a sense of entitlement, particularly after the release of a Vanity Fair interview on the eve of his campaign launch in which he appeared to say he was "born" to be in presidential politics.

After quickly pulling in $9.4 million during his first two weeks in the race, O'Rourke's financial situation deteriorated. By the end of June, he was spending more than his campaign was taking in. By the end of September, he had just $3.2 million cash on hand while spending double that over the previous three months, campaign finance records show.

Perhaps more significantly, the small-dollar contributions that fueled his Senate bid and the early days of his presidential campaign slowed to a $1.9 million trickle.

The former congressman also struggled to articulate a consistent vision and messaging as a presidential candidate.

He spent several weeks trying to build his campaign around climate change, calling global warming the greatest existential threat the country had ever faced. But as the excitement over his candidacy began to fade, O'Rourke was forced to stage a "reintroduction" of his campaign to reinvigorate it. After a gunman opened fire at a Walmart in his hometown of El Paso, killing 22 people, O'Rourke more heavily embraced gun control, saying he would take assault weapons away from existing owners.

1.jpg?mode=crop&width=720&height=405

As O'Rourke's standing in the presidential primary plummeted, some Democrats urged him to return to Texas for another Senate run. He has repeatedly denied having any interest in that race.

O'Rourke's decision came hours before he was supposed to join other Democratic contenders at a party dinner in Iowa. Campaign volunteers were still collecting voter information and handing out "Beto" stickers" outside the event amid a steady rain as the candidate announced he was dropping out.

O'Rourke did not endorse another Democrat for the nomination, saying the country will be well served by any of the other candidates, "and I'm going to be proud to support whoever that nominee is."

Trump quickly weighed in on O'Rourke's exit, saying in a tweet: "Oh no, Beto just dropped out of race for President despite him saying he was "born for this." I don't think so!"

___

Associated Press writer Brian Slodysko contributed to this report from Washington. Weissert reported from Des Moines, Iowa.

Copyright 2019 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Our campaign has always been about seeing clearly, speaking honestly, and acting decisively.

In that spirit: I am announcing that my service to the country will not be as a candidate or as the nominee. https://t.co/8jrBPGuX4t

— Beto O'Rourke (@BetoORourke) November 1, 2019
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well I for one have been cleaning and lubing mine up, checking batteries in all the Optics, topping off mags and dusting off the Ammo out on the shelves.

Just because beto called it quits there are still plenty out there that want to take the guns away....All the gun is the end goal.

Karsten

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, nstoolman1 said:

I am buying more ammo by the case. It doesn't last long when you feed them on a regular basis. 

I am still waiting to set my reloading room up. After all the outside stuff is finished I will begin. 

You are just up North. Check out UNAmmo.com for some pretty good prices on cases.

Karsten

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Karsten said:

Well I for one have been cleaning and lubing mine up, checking batteries in all the Optics, topping off mags and dusting off the Ammo out on the shelves.

Just because beto called it quits there are still plenty out there that want to take the guns away....All the gun is the end goal.

Karsten

Not true at all. Nice fear monger statement though!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

2 hours ago, caddieman said:

Not true at all. Nice fear monger statement though!

@caddieman

I think you are correct on this one. Instead of taking "away....All the gun is the end goal" I think "taking away all guns from law-abiding citizens is the goal, because once you take away the 2A, all other amendments are worthless. Remember, the LEFT thinks in terms of what rights and freedoms can be granted by Government (the collective) to the citizens. The Constitution states the rights granted by GOD that the Government can't infringe upon. Once the guns are out of the hands of most law-abiding citizens, the Government can do anything it wants to do.

Indy

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

caddieman, did you not watch the 2 videos in the off topics section today? This Agenda 21 by the UN is real and the elitist want this done. Of course removal of all guns is the first step. This has been in the planning stages for years and many blew it off as conspiracy. But the arrogant fools are now so cocky that they tell you their exact plan knowing full well many are too caught up with their noses buried in their phones to even see a car coming down the street, mush less their world changing around them until it is WAY too late.

• Upvote 3

@caddieman, let’s not forget that the “shot heard around the world” that began the American Revolution happened because Gen Gage was moving on Concord to seize the weapons there. He had already seized the arsenal at Charlestown and was looking to take more, knowing that they could not revolt if they didn’t have the weapons to do so. If they, the liberals, UN, or whoever, come here to try and take them again, I promise, there will be a second shot heard around the world.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Let's see... I remember when Clinton won, he would take our guns. When Obama won he would take our guns. Now here we go again with the same scare tactics... If a democrat wins they will take our guns. When will people learn this is the definition of insanity. They do the same things over and over and yet it never changes. No one is going to take your right to bear arms no matter how many times they say it. Clinton was voted into office in the 80s, some of you people probably weren't even born then...

People say marketing doesn't work, I disagree, marketing works very well and the fear of them taking your guns yet again is promoted and working rather well.

B/A

• Thanks 3
  • Downvote 1

There may be more  screaming for our guns because it is a wonderful tactic to get voters riled up, increase gun and ammo sales (byproduct of course) and  give people something to talk about. Anyone with any sort of situational awareness knows that an attempt to take guns would be 1. Illegal as it violates the constitution, 2. Almost impossible due to lack of man power and lack of willingness to carry out such an order and 3. Such an order would have to be  approved by the Supreme Court which isn't going to happen.  Making point number 1 valid.   Even the military and Police Union know that it would be a nightmare situation  if they attempted to take guns away.

That being said it is always good to hear and see post that people are stacking up on ammo and weapons as it is an another level of deterrence that gets noticed.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cranman said:

There may be more  screaming for our guns because it is a wonderful tactic to get voters riled up, increase gun and ammo sales (byproduct of course) and  give people something to talk about. Anyone with any sort of situational awareness knows that an attempt to take guns would be 1. Illegal as it violates the constitution, 2. Almost impossible due to lack of man power and lack of willingness to carry out such an order and 3. Such an order would have to be  approved by the Supreme Court which isn't going to happen.  Making point number 1 valid.   Even the military and Police Union know that it would be a nightmare situation  if they attempted to take guns away.

That being said it is always good to hear and see post that people are stacking up on ammo and weapons as it is an another level of deterrence that gets noticed.

Try living in Ca. with their Handgun roster. 

Watch this. 

They are trying to dry up the sales of guns and make it as difficult as they can to purchase. They want to tax ammunition and make it illegal to mail order ammo. They have people  eyeing sales in Nevada gun shows to catch people coming across the border. 

The only reason the Lib have not made an active effort to take the guns is they don't have the numbers necessary to do it and not get pushed back. 

If it starts happening it will be a blood bath for the LE office that tries. 

Those are not Ca sheriffs. 

Not many Ca sheriffs have stood with gun owners. Look at the many that won't issue CCW

to the residence that can pass the background check.

Look at how many put outrageous cost to the right protected under the 2A.

There are some rural sheriffs who do not restrict but they are few and far between. 

8 hours ago, bostonangler said:

Let's see... I remember when Clinton won, he would take our guns. When Obama won he would take our guns. Now here we go again with the same scare tactics... If a democrat wins they will take our guns. When will people learn this is the definition of insanity. They do the same things over and over and yet it never changes. No one is going to take your right to bear arms no matter how many times they say it. Clinton was voted into office in the 80s, some of you people probably weren't even born then...

People say marketing doesn't work, I disagree, marketing works very well and the fear of them taking your guns yet again is promoted and working rather well.

B/A

Yep B/A nobody going to take away guns.  Dems love guns too.....and it pisses them off.

• Confused 2
  • Upvote 1