Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Pelosi announces full House vote on impeachment inquiry

WASHINGTON — House Speaker Nancy Pelosi sought Monday to deprive President Trump of a legal and political argument against the Democrats’ impeachment inquiry, announcing she would hold a vote in the full House this Thursday that “affirms the ongoing, existing investigation.”

“We are taking this step to eliminate any doubt as to whether the Trump Administration may withhold documents, prevent witness testimony, disregard duly authorized subpoenas, or continue obstructing the House of Representatives,” Pelosi said in a written statement. “Nobody is above the law.”

Pelosi said the Trump White House has made a “baseless claim that the House of Representatives’ impeachment inquiry ‘lacks the necessary authorization for a valid impeachment proceeding.’”

That was a quote from a letter that Trump’s White House counsel, Pat Cipollone, sent to Congress on Oct. 8 rejecting cooperation with the impeachment inquiry.

“They argue that, because the House has not taken a vote, they may simply pretend the impeachment inquiry does not exist,” Pelosi said. “Of course, this argument has no merit.”

U.S. House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff (D-CA) joins Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi to speak about Democratic legislative priorities and impeachment inquiry plans during her weekly news conference at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, U.S., October 2, 2019. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi during Pelosi's weekly news conference at the Capitol on Oct. 2. (Photo: Jonathan Ernst/Reuters)

Much of the reason that the House held votes in 1974 and 1998 to begin impeachment proceedings against President Richard Nixon and President Bill Clinton was because such a vote was needed to do the investigative work of issuing subpoenas and holding depositions. Over the last decade or two, the rules of Congress have changed so that a full House vote is no longer necessary.

Nonetheless, Pelosi’s announcement is both a strategic tactic and perhaps also a concession that Democrats were seeing the legitimacy of their inquiry weakened somewhat by Republican arguments that they should keep with precedent and hold a vote in the House to get every member of the chamber on record, even though another vote to approve articles of impeachment is likely to come to the House floor in the next several weeks.

Pelosi’s office said it will announce more details on Tuesday about the next phase of the impeachment inquiry, including when public House committee hearings will be held and the process for the release of deposition transcripts

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pelosi-trump-impeachment-vote-201816643.html

Ask and you shall receive???

B/A

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

So they will vote to see if they should have an inquiry?....after they've been holding inquiry proceedings for a month.....yes or no?

Or is this just involving proceedings on how to go about running an inquiry......even after they've been doing this for a month....guess we'll find out on Thursday....just like we did with Obama care......."hurry up and sign the bill.....so we can open it up to see what it says"......another Pelosi quote......and the gift that keeps on giving...!

CL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 5

Lets have the vote.

You will have Dems who want Trump gone at any cost.

You will have Dems who want him gone but not at the expense of revealing it.

You will have Dems who don't necessarily want him gone but will have to vote in order "eye" not to get the ire of the extreme leftists. 

Let them state puplicly where they stand.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, nstoolman1 said:

Lets have the vote.

You will have Dems who want Trump gone at any cost.

You will have Dems who want him gone but not at the expense of revealing it.

You will have Dems who don't necessarily want him gone but will have to vote in order "eye" not to get the ire of the extreme leftists. 

Let them state puplicly where they stand.

I agree....the same for the Repbulicans, then we will all know who and how to vote this next go around.  We need some  Republicans like Romney and a few more to go away.  Just bring on someone to run against them......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

On what proof, Evidence, where are the Witnesses, where are the Documents, the Transcripts.....I forgot....Behind closed doors in a smoke filled room only a Select Few are allowed.

Just another Sham waste of tax payer funds to save them from going to jail.....

Karsten

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, Karsten said:

On what proof, Evidence, where are the Witnesses, where are the Documents, the Transcripts.....I forgot....Behind closed doors in a smoke filled room only a Select Few are allowed.

Karsten

Like I said before. There are just as many Republicans than Democrats behind the closed doors.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

5 hours ago, Karsten said:

Karsten

Only witches and Satan are allowed in Palosi’s Pit.  

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

Republican strategy...whine until they announce a vote...then after they announce a vote, whine some more....Remember, trump is the victim, so play the victim card.  As always, just my opinion. 

GO RV, then BV 

WTH are you talking about :wacko:

Who's playing the victim card?

Nancy plainly says "It's not an impeachment vote".

• Thanks 1

True Dat... Last week it was all about how Congress needed a vote to move forward and now they announce a vote and guess what??? The crybaby snowflakes come out whining about how it is unfair... The right has got it all wrong n this issue. They introduced the process, they voted on the process, a republican president signed off on the process, and now they don't like it... That's lesson the left should learn. When you create dumbass policies, eventually they will come back to haunt you, just like we are seeing today with the republican's dumbass policy they put into place...

Do we really elect these inept people year after year?

B/A

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

She is up to something, it might be the wording on what there voting on, changing the process of impeachment I think, to be fair everything they have done should be tossed and start over with a vote to start inquiry,  just my opinion so don't beat me up to bad 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, stt said:

She is up to something, it might be the wording on what there voting on, changing the process of impeachment I think, to be fair everything they have done should be tossed and start over with a vote to start inquiry,  just my opinion so don't beat me up to bad 

I don't think you'll get beat up for that. It isn't unreasonable and perhaps the 47 republicans who are allowed to be in the interviews might actually attend instead of acting like spoiled brats and storming the house and putting on a show, when they were already supposed to attend. This is like a high school drama.

B/A

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, nstoolman1 said:

They are not voting members. Otherwise this inquiry would be dead in the water. The committee is favored to the Dems so it does not matter how many non voting Rep's are in there. 

Oh he is getting impeached no doubt. Question is will 20 Republican senate members decide to uphold the constitution or choose to protect their senate seat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 7

12 minutes ago, nstoolman1 said:

They are not voting members. Otherwise this inquiry would be dead in the water. The committee is favored to the Dems so it does not matter how many non voting Rep's are in there. 

Same perks as being the party in charge, as say of, confirming a supreme court justice.  Look, Trump will more than likely be impeached by the Democratic controlled House of Representatives....then the Republican controlled Senate will let him off the hook....Clinton 2.0 basically.  Party over people....same as it ever was.

GO RV, then BV

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, coorslite21 said:

Perhaps all info already obtained in these closed door meetings could be released...to all the members of the House......as well as to all of us.......common sense would indicate an informed vote in Congress would be the best way to go.....    CL

I'm all for transparency and being informed.....but do you really think this whole deal will be anything more than further party line division?  Except for a few politicians voting their conscience who have nothing to lose because they've already planned their own departure....I expect the whole issue will be decided down party lines.  Truth is a sidebar in D.C. and has always been a sidebar in Trump's world since the days of his Roy Cohn apprenticeship.

GO RV, then BV

Edited by Shabibilicious
  • Thanks 3
  • Downvote 2