Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Trump faces foreign policy challenges in Syria and Iran

yota691

2019-10-07 07:48:25

US President Donald Trump has said it is time for his country's military to emerge from "infinite and ridiculous" wars.
"It's time for our troops to get out of the ridiculous endless wars," Trump said in a tweet.
He will have to Europe, Syria, Iran, Iraq, Russia and the Kurds resolve the situation. "
This comes at a time when the declared senior Turkish official, on Monday, said that Turkey would wait out US forces in Syria from the area of operations before the start of the attack, where the US military completed a withdrawal of Atadh and weapons from the base Tel Arqam in the city of Ras al-Ain, and another military point in Tel Abyad.

The United States was supposed to be in Syria for 30 days, that was many years ago. We stayed and got deeper and deeper into battle with no aim in sight. When I arrived in Washington, ISIS was running rampant in the area. We quickly defeated 100% of the ISIS Caliphate, .....

- Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 7, 2019

.... almost 3 years, but it is time for us to get out of these ridiculous Endless Wars, many of them tribal, and bring our soldiers home. WE WILL FIGHT WHERE IT IS TO OUR BENEFIT, AND ONLY FIGHT TO WIN. Turkey, Europe, Syria, Iran, Iraq, Russia and the Kurds will now have to .....

... figure the situation out, and what they want to do with the captured ISIS fighters in their “neighborhood.” They all hate ISIS, have been enemies for years. We are 7000 miles away and will crush ISIS again if they come anywhere near us!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Tired of being the world police and not being paid for our services. We pay for it, the US citizens. Those other countries will now have to build their own military up to defend their people. Dieing for someone elses problems, No more. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 12
  • Downvote 2

What do you guys think of this?  I don't know what to think about it.  I'd like to hear your opinions.  Thanks.

Are You Kidding Me?!’ Brian Kilmeade Calls Out Trump’s ‘Disaster’ Decision to ‘Abandon’ Kurds in Syria

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/are-you-kidding-me-brian-kilmeade-calls-out-trumps-disaster-decision-to-abandon-kurds-in-syria/

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Indraman said:

Whole other thread on this same subject...probably should be moved there by Forum Moderator.

Indy

:lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:

Pretty SURE @yota691 IS a DinarVets Forum Moderator (or something likie THAT)!!!

:twothumbs: Carry On, Yota, AND The Very Best Of Your Week To You!!! :tiphat:

Go Moola Nova!

:pirateship:

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Floridian said:

Here's the next installment:

Turkey's Syria incursion may allow ISIS to attempt mass prison break amid US withdrawal, Kurdish fighters warn

https://www.foxnews.com/world/turkey-syria-isis-mass-prison-break-us-withdrawal

If they allow it to happen there should be conveniences! 

If they cant handle the number of detainee's either hand them over to Iraq or speed up the trial/procecutions. 

End of story.

• Like 2

Trump threatens to destroy Turkey's economy once it launches a major operation in Syria

Trump threatens to destroy Turkey's economy once it launches a major operation in Syria

07 Oct 2019 07:37 PM

Direct: US President Donald Trump showed a marked decline in his decision to give Turkey the green light for a military operation in Syria, warning Ankara to destroy the entire economy if taken measures beyond the border.

The US president drew sharp criticism from Congress for a White House statement late on Sunday that the United States would not stand in the way of a Turkish incursion into northern Syria. 

Trump said in a tweet on the social networking site "Twitter" on Monday: "As I mentioned before, and I repeat only, if Turkey did anything that I considered outside the border I will destroy the economy of Ankara completely, I have done so before."

Trump said: “With Europe and others, they should monitor captured ISIS fighters and families. , To protect their land, the United States is great. "

By 4:28 pm GMT, the Turkish lira had fallen against the dollar by about 2 percent to 5.8141 pounds.

1024.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Donald J. Trump
2 hrs · 
I was elected on getting out of these ridiculous endless wars, where our great Military functions as a policing operation to the benefit of people who don’t even like the USA. The two most unhappy countries at this move are Russia & China, because they love seeing us bogged down, watching over a quagmire, & spending big dollars to do so. When I took over, our Military was totally depleted. Now it is stronger than ever before. The endless and ridiculous wars are ENDING! We will be focused on the big picture, knowing we can always go back & BLAST!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 4

SYRIA
Trump’s Syria Withdrawal Announcement Draws GOP Condemnation
840 views•Oct 7, 2019

Bloomberg TicToc
75.6K subscribers
President Donald Trump’s sudden decision to pull back U.S. troops from northern Syria drew quick, strong criticism Monday from some of his closest allies in Congress. It was condemned, too, by Kurdish fighters who would be abandoned to face a likely Turkish assault after fighting alongside Americans for years against the Islamic State.

The announcement threw the military situation in Syria into fresh chaos and injected deeper uncertainty into U.S. relations with European allies. Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham called it “a disaster,” while Syria’s Kurds accused the U.S. of turning its back on allies and risking gains made in the yearslong fight against ISIS.

Trump defended his decision, acknowledging in tweets that “the Kurds fought with us” but adding that they “were paid massive amounts of money and equipment to do so.”

“I held off this fight for almost 3 years, but it is time for us to get out of these ridiculous Endless Wars, many of them tribal, and bring our soldiers home,” he wrote.

If the Turks go too far, he tweeted later, “I in my great and unmatched wisdom” will destroy their economy.

Hours after the White House announcement, two senior State Department officials minimized the effects of the U.S. action, telling reporters that only about two dozen American troops would be removed from the Turkey-Syria border, not all the U.S. forces in the northeast of the country. They also said Turkey may not go through with a large-scale invasion and the U.S. was still trying to discourage it.

Both officials spoke only on condition of anonymity to discuss what led to the internal White House decision.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has threatened for months to launch a military operation across the Syrian border. He views the Kurdish forces as a threat to his country. Both Republicans and Democrats in the U.S. have warned that allowing the Turkish attack could lead to a massacre of the Kurds and send a troubling message to American allies across the globe.

U.S. troops “will not support or be involved in the operation” and “will no longer be in the immediate area,” in northern Syria, White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham said in an unusual late-Sunday statement that was silent on the fate of the Kurds.

There are about 1,000 U.S. troops in northern Syria, and a senior U.S. official said they will pull back from the area — and could depart the country entirely should widespread fighting break out between Turkish and Kurdish forces. For the moment, the U.S. troops are not leaving Syria, officials said.

A U.S. official confirmed that American troops were already moving out of the security zone area, which includes the Syrian towns of Ras al-Ayn and Tal Abyad. That official was not authorized to speak for the record and was granted anonymity to comment.

Republican Sen. Graham of South Carolina said he would call for Turkey’s suspension from NATO and introduce sanctions against Ankara if the Turks attack Kurdish forces.

“This decision to abandon our Kurdish allies and turn Syria over to Russia, Iran, & Turkey will put every radical Islamist on steroids. Shot in the arm to the bad guys. Devastating for the good guys,” Graham wrote in a tweet.

Trump’s move appeared to take even his closest allies by surprise during a pivotal moment of his presidency. House Democrats are marching forward with their impeachment inquiry into whether he compromised national security or abused his office by seeking negative information on former Vice President Joe Biden, a political rival, from foreign countries.

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., did say Monday in an appearance on “Fox & Friends” that he had been briefed by the president about the decision. But he also said he had concerns.

• Thanks 7

abc news.go.com

Republicans slam Trump's decision on US forces in Syria that puts allies at risk
Oct 7, 2019, 3:59 PM ET

President Donald Trump’s decision to have U.S. forces in northern Syria step aside to make way for Turkish troops and put U.S.-allied Syrian Kurds at risk, has sparked outrage among Trump’s closest allies on Capitol Hill, with many Republicans questioning Trump’s leadership on foreign policy issues.

"I hope I'm making myself clear how shortsighted and irresponsible this decision is in my view," GOP Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, usually a strong Trump supporter, said Monday during an interview with “Fox & Friends.” "This to me is just unnerving to its core."

PHOTO: Sen. Lindsey Graham listens as Sen. Robert Menendez speaks during a press conference at the U.S. Capitol, Dec. 20, 2018. Graham, Menendez and Sen. Jack Reed spoke out against President Trumps decision to remove U.S. military forces from Syria.

A U.S. official confirmed Monday that American troops in northeast Syria were pulling back.

The Turkish move is likely to put the Kurdish forces that helped the U.S. defeat ISIS in peril. Turkey considers the Kurdish forces -- the PKK and YPG -- terrorist organizations.

The news came late Sunday after President Trump spoke to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan by phone earlier in the day.

Graham said he’d be introducing a Senate resolution opposing the move.

“Just spoke to Sen @ChrisVanHollen about situation in Syria. We will introduce bipartisan sanctions against Turkey if they invade Syria and will call for their suspension from NATO if they attack Kurdish forces who assisted the U.S. in the destruction of the ISIS Caliphate,” he tweeted Monday.

"Hope and expect sanctions against Turkey - if necessary - would be veto-proof. This decision to abandon our Kurdish allies and turn Syria over to Russia, Iran, & Turkey will put every radical Islamist on steroids. Shot in the arm to the bad guys. Devastating for the good guys,” Graham added.

McConnell, in urging Trump to show "American leadership," said the U.S. must prevent conflict between Turkey and the Syrian Kurds.

“I urge the President to exercise American leadership to keep together our multinational coalition to defeat ISIS and prevent significant conflict between our NATO ally Turkey and our local Syrian counterterrorism partners. Major new conflict between Turkey and our partners in Syria would seriously risk damaging Turkey’s ties to the United States and causing greater isolation for Turkey on the world stage,” McConnell said in a statement Monday.

“This is a terribly unwise decision by the President to abandon our Kurdish allies, who have been our major partner in the fight against the Islamic State,” GOP Sen. Susan Collins of Maine said in a statement.

Sen. Ben Sasse, R-Neb., said Trump’s decision will result in the “slaughter” of allies.

“If the President sticks with this retreat, he needs to know that this bad decision will likely result in the slaughter of allies who fought with us, including women and children. I hope the President will listen to his generals and reconsider. And before Turkey butchers innocent Kurds, Erdogan should carefully consider his privileged status as a NATO member. The American people don’t partner with genocidal regimes,” Sasse said in a statement.

Sens. Mitt Romney, R-Utah, and Chris Murphy, D-Conn., said they plan to call administration officials to Capitol Hill to testify about the president''s decision.

“Barring a reversal of this decision, the Administration must come before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and explain to the American people how betraying an ally and ceding influence to terrorists and adversaries is not disastrous for our national security interests. As Chairman and Ranking Member of the Middle East subcommittee, we will be working with Committee leadership to assure that the Administration appears before the Committee as soon as possible,” the senators said in a joint statement.

Edited by Carrello
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

kUuht00m_normal.jpg

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
· 6h
As I have stated strongly before, and just to reiterate, if Turkey does anything that I, in my great and unmatched wisdom, consider to be off limits, I will totally destroy and obliterate the Economy of Turkey (I’ve done before!). They must, with Europe and others, watch over...

kUuht00m_bigger.jpg

Replying to
....the captured ISIS fighters and families. The U.S. has done far more than anyone could have ever expected, including the capture of 100% of the ISIS Caliphate. It is time now for others in the region, some of great wealth, to protect their own territory. THE USA IS GREAT!
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Kurdish Peshmerga fighters and commanders overlook Islamic State group positions during heavy fighting in Bashiqa, east of Mosul, Iraq.  (AP Photo/Felipe Dana, File)
Kurdish Peshmerga fighters and commanders overlook Islamic State group positions during heavy fighting in Bashiqa, east of Mosul, Iraq. (AP Photo/Felipe Dana, File) more >
By Guy Taylor - The Washington Times - Updated: 8:39 p.m. on Monday, October 7, 2019

President Trump’s decision to pull American forces from key posts in Syria set U.S. counterterrorism officials on edge Monday amid concern that the move will lead to the headlong release of thousands of hardened Islamic State fighters from makeshift prison camps there.

Amid the geopolitical concerns and the warnings about U.S. strategic goals and reliability, the massive al-Hol detention camp run by the now-isolated U.S. Syrian Kurdish allies, holding thousands of hardened Islamic State fighters, may pose the most immediate security challenge.

Mr. Trump for months has fumed that Western European nations in particular have refused to take custody of hundreds of the captured fighters who are believed to hold European Union citizenship and are detained in facilities run by the network of Kurdish militias known as the Syrian Democratic Forces, or SDF.

The SDF’s ability — and willingness — to administer the prison is in serious doubt after Mr. Trump’s withdrawal decision. SDF leaders warned that they will have to transfer the guards and security forces from the prisons to the front lines if a clash with Turkey ignites.

While the SDF has U.S. funding for the prisons, as well as behind-the-scenes support from U.S. Special Forces, a White House statement Sunday night suggested that Mr. Trump is eager to go in a different direction.

“Turkey will now be responsible for all ISIS fighters in the area captured over the past two years,” said the statement, using the acronym for the Islamic State.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Erdogan reveals his ugly face .. Turkish aggression targeting northern Syria .. Mechanisms and armored vehicles storm the gate of Jarablus towards the countryside of Manbij .. Drones stormed the borders of Iraq and bombard sites in eastern Syria .. And Trump: We spent 2.3 billion dollars to fight ISISSyria - Archive

Books Ahmed Abdel Rahman - Haitham Salama

Soon after US President Donald Trump announced his decision to withdraw US troops from military engagements in northwestern Syria, Turkish aggression targeted northern Syria in the town of Tall Tawil in Hasaka province.

Al-Arabiya television reported that Sputnik reported that Turkish armored vehicles entered the Jarablus gate towards the countryside of Manbij in Syria, and that drones entered the Iraqi border and bombed positions in eastern Syria.

This came during US President Donald Trump's remarks, in which he said that he is not biased to anyone by the decision to withdraw US troops from northeastern Syria, and his warning to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan after allowing any US soldier to be injured on Syrian soil.

"I have told Erdogan not to allow any American soldier to be injured and that if it happens, there will be a big problem," he said in a speech.

"We have only 50 soldiers in northern Syria," Trump said. "We want to bring our troops home and I was elected on that basis."

`` We have deprived ISIS of its alleged succession and it is time for our troops to return, '' Trump said. "We have spent more than $ 2.3 billion on the fight against IS," he said. "We are not policemen and we will not protect the area there."

• Upvote 3

Withdrawal from the "border": military build-up on both sides of the front

•  
  •  Tuesday, October 8, 2019
  •  
  •  
Withdrawal from the "border": military build-up on both sides of the front
«National Army» carried out a maneuver near the city of Afrin in preparation for the military operation east of the Euphrates (Anatolia)

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his US counterpart, Donald Trump, did not reach out late last night until US forces began evacuating some of the checkpoints and small outposts in the border region of northeastern Syria. According to field information, the troops, who were conducting joint patrols with their Turkish counterparts as part of the implementation of the "Safe Zone" agreement, began to withdraw from Tel Arqam point in the northwestern countryside of al-Hasakah, then from an American position in the border town of Tal Abyad, before it began to withdraw. From the entire observation posts and locations along the border from Tel Abyad to Ras Al-Ain in the east, towards the US base at Jalabiya on the Raqqa-Aleppo road.

Yesterday evening, the border area of Al-Malikiyah, in the far north-east, witnessed an intensive flight of Turkish warplanes. Subsequently, local sources reported that artillery shelling targeted Kurdish units' positions at Tall Tawil in the far north-eastern Malikiyah countryside, near the Turkish-Syrian-Iraqi border triangle. Simultaneously, Kurdish sites published scenes that they said to bomb the Simalka border crossing into Iraqi Kurdistan, denying any casualties. Immediately afterwards, Syrian state media reported that the Turkish aggression was at the bridge of the Simalka crossing. Also, yesterday evening pictures and videos of a large number of trucks crossing from Iraq to the area east of the Euphrates. The Syrian Observatory estimated the number of trucks belonging to the International Alliance at about 80 closed trucks, including military vehicles.

Damascus lingers on any decision until it sees a shift in the Kurdish position

On the other hand, the SDF was quick to wave again the ISIS detainees' paper, through the confirmation of the director of its information center, Mustafa Bali, that «our forces have already begun to reduce the number of guards in prisons and prisons where there are members of ISIS, to face the Turkish invasion», "We hope that we can fight the invasion and protect prisons and detention centers together." Pale described the US decision as a "mistake" and that it would lead to "a new war in the region," saying that "the decision to withdraw will serve Russia, Iran and the Syrian regime as well as ISIS." As a result, SDF withdrew a number of its forces protecting the oil field east of the city of Mayadeen in Deir ez-Zor governorate, which is occupied by Americans and Europeans, to suggest that the US withdrawal would "force" Kurdish forces to abandon the protection of oil fields and detention camps.
The SDF also quickly began to promote that the outcome of the withdrawal would inevitably be in the interest of the Syrian army and its allies, by publishing its official Twitter page, confirming that "as a first result of the US withdrawal and the failure of the safe area, regime forces backed by Russia are preparing to act militarily." Towards Manbij. This coincided with the publication of media sites close to «SDF» that officers from the Russian forces in the vicinity of Manbij met with American counterparts in the village of Mohsenli in the countryside of Manbij yesterday evening. The Russians informed the Americans of their intention to enter Manbij, and reports said late last night that Turkish reinforcements, including armored vehicles and vehicles, had entered the Jarablus border gate towards the crossing between Jarablus and Manbij under the control of SDF.
On the other hand, the circles in Damascus, which remained silent yesterday, emphasize that «any Turkish operation in the region is nothing but an open occupation». "Damascus has long warned Kurdish forces in the east of the Euphrates about the consequences of an alliance with the Americans," the sources said. It also said that the attempts to negotiate failed "despite the entry of mediators from personalities and countries ... In the last two days, there has been more than a contact from the Kurdish forces to the government," but Damascus "lingers to take any decision, because it wants to see a real shift in the positions and approach of the Kurds on issues all".

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Kurdish forces after the US «stab»: Damascus must ...?

•  
Kurdish forces after the US «stab»: Damascus must ...?
(AFP)

Not long after the United States slapped its Kurdish allies by welcoming the decision to form the Constitutional Commission and not demanding their representation, Washington's latest decision puts the alliance with Kurdish forces at a crossroads, which could end with a complete US abandonment. Thus, the United States resolved its position on the "safe zone", after Donald Trump-Recep Tayyip Erdogan contacted by withdrawing from all the checkpoints in the implementation of the "safe zone", to be a formal American obituary for the agreement.

The US position came less than 48 hours after the Turkish president declared that the attack on the SDF positions in eastern Euphrates was irreversible. This time, Washington may be content with the decision to withdraw from parts of the border, without a final decision to withdraw from all of Syria. Perhaps a return to the American President's famous tweet in the last month of last year, in which he announced the beginning of the withdrawal from Syria, before retreating under pressure from the military and some officials in his administration, is conceivable in conceiving what might happen this time as well, as the withdrawal may be Only partially, this is still undecided. Trump, in his new tweet, yesterday sought to emphasize that his view on the withdrawal was consistent by saying that "withdrawal should have taken place within 30 days," and that "it is time to get out of the absurd war."
In the face of
uncertainty about the full American vision of the withdrawal, and not to disclose its nature or any timetable, and the statements of the «Congress» and «Pentagon» that agree to a vision opposite to the vision of Trump, the chances are high that a new arrangement will result in a new troop deployment map In the region, the US does not completely overestimate Kurdish forces, nor provoke the Turks. In this context, a source familiar with the coordination between «SDF» and the Americans, in an interview with «news», that Trump's decision «came to absorb the Turkish pressure, and discourage Ankara from carrying out a large-scale military operation targeting the entire east of the Euphrates», the source ruled out that «includes a decision Withdrawing the entire Syrian territory because it contradicts Washington's policy of undermining Iran's influence in Syria, he said, adding that "American forces will simply reposition their forces, which would allow Turkey to control limited border areas.
In light of recent developments, the President of the Council of the "Democratic Syria", Riad Dirar, in contact with «news», to declare any position on the decision to withdraw, saying only that «the Council is waiting for clarifications, to express his opinion», while another Kurdish source pointed out that «Kurds They are still counting on a tough stance on the Pentagon, to discourage President Trump from his latest decision, stressing that "the White House decision needs the support of the military, which has not happened so far." The source expected that «the coming days will see a change in the scene in favor of SDF». Although Trump said that "the responsibility of ISIS detainees is in Turkey's hands," in what is understood to be the handing over of the entire file east of the Euphrates to the Turks, it appears that the Kurdish forces want to invest the cards of ISIS detainees and their families to press for international positions that may prevent the Turks. From carrying out their threats.
With little time for the Kurdish forces to rearrange their cards, as the withdrawal from part of the border strip becomes a fait accompli, they are expected to turn to Moscow to try to win Damascus's acceptance of dialogue again. The SDF's hint that the Syrian army and Russian forces might enter the city of Manbij (west of the Euphrates) is an attempt by the SDF to suggest the intention to return to the primacy of coordination with Moscow and Damascus, which is almost the only option for them as the Turkish operation begins. However, Kurdish attempts may not be heard in Damascus if they are not contingent on serious steps. In this context, a source in the east of the Euphrates, linked to high-level Syrian politicians, that «Damascus does not trust the Kurdish leaders», and that «all meetings with the Kurdish leaders did not bear fruit, and led to the closure of the dialogue because of high Kurdish conditions». The source also considered that «the opportunity for Kurdish leaders to register a national position to return them to the Syrian national situation».

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

The Turkish lira on Monday witnessed the biggest decline in nearly a month against the US dollar by about 2%, on the back of US President Donald Trump's threat to destroy Turkey's economy.

The Turkish lira fell amid fears of the implications of the upcoming Ankara operation in northeast Syria to 5.8050 points for one US dollar, recording a decline of 1.94% to 16:27 GMT.

These developments also resulted in a significant decline in the price of Turkish sovereign bonds in US dollars.

The US president threatened earlier in the day to "destroy and destroy" the economy of Turkey in the event of any move would be considered "beyond the permissible limits" in Syria .

The threat came as the United States began withdrawing its troops from northeastern Syria near the Turkish border , coinciding with the latter's preparations for a military operation to clear the territory of Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) active in the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces coalition in the war. on " Daesh ", and Ankara considers a terrorist organization and an arm for " the PKK ."
  • Upvote 1

Before I comment, I would love to know where the president stands on our bases in Japan, Germany, Italy to name a few. 

I’m certainly in agreement the USA needs to get out of the world police business but needs to support our foreign allies. 

The democrats an liberals have been trying to shrink our military an stop all these wars as far back as Clinton, you would think they would be celebrating an cheering. Oh but wait, they hate him to bad for that...idiots 

• Upvote 9

25 minutes ago, DoD said:

Before I comment, I would love to know where the president stands on our bases in Japan, Germany, Italy to name a few. 

I’m certainly in agreement the USA needs to get out of the world police business but needs to support system">support our foreign allies. 

The democrats an liberals have been trying to shrink our military an stop all these wars as far back as Clinton, you would think they would be celebrating an cheering. Oh but wait, they hate him to bad for that...idiots 

No DoD. We, Democrats and Liberals, are not the idiots. The Kurds have been our ally and seeing them slaughtered starting today is not something that is right, acceptable, or to be taken lightly. The only idiot I see "celebrating and cheering" is trump. The rest of the country and Republican Congress are appaulled and astounded. I agree with McConnell and Graham about this, and Romney and Cheney and all the rest. 

Personally, I am confounded why you would think any American would be cheering this surrender to Ergodan and the slaughter of our allies. I am sickened by it.

Edited by Carrello
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 13

• yota691 changed the title to Trump faces foreign policy challenges in Syria and Iran