Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

GOP Senators Who Backed Trump's Emergency Declaration Lose Military Funding

Republicans who supported an emergency declaration on the U.S.-Mexico border are discovering the cost of standing with President Donald Trump: millions of dollars in federal funds diverted away from planned military construction projects in their states.

Trump declared the emergency earlier this year to secure funds for a border wall after failing to persuade Congress to allocate money for its construction ― the same wall he initially promised Mexico would pay for. Only 12 Republican senators objected to the move in a Senate floor vote in March, with most of the GOP conference sticking with the president.

Sen. Martha McSally (R-Ariz.), one of those who voted in support of the declaration, announced early Wednesday that the Trump administration was diverting $30 million in funds from an Army base in her state to construction of the wall ― even though she previously received assurances from an acting secretary of defense that her state would be spared.

The Arizona Republican, who is looking at a tough reelection fight next year, downplayed the move in her statement, saying the ground transportation project at Fort Huachuca was already facing delay due to “unforeseen environmental issues” at the construction site. Those issues are expected to continue until next year, her office said.

Top Arizona Democrats, however, criticized McSally in the wake of the announcement.

Former astronaut Mark Kelly, who is running to be the Democrats’ Senate nominee next year, accused McSally of failing “her most basic responsibility to put Arizona first.” He added that the senator “told Arizonans she had protected funding for Arizona military bases, and the fact is that she didn’t keep her word.”

Other Republican senators whose states are impacted by Trump’s diversion of military construction funds to build the wall include Thom Tillis of North Carolina ($80 million), Mitch McConnell of Kentucky ($62 million), John Cornyn of Texas ($48 million), Lindsey Graham of South Carolina ($11 million) and Cory Gardner of Colorado ($8 million).

All of the above senators are also up for reelection in 2020, and they all similarly voted in support of Trump’s emergency declaration in March.

The Defense Department on Tuesday approved a total of $3.6 billion in military construction funds to build 175 miles of border wall with Mexico. Officials said 127 military construction projects ― at home and around the world ― will be impacted. A complete list can be found here.

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) was among the first lawmakers on Tuesday to say his state will be affected by the funding cuts ― in his case, money diverted from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point. Schumer called the Trump administration’s move a “slap in the face” to the troops and accused the president of “trying to usurp Congress’s exclusive power of the purse.”

Sens. Mark Warner and Tim Kaine, both Virginia Democrats, said in a joint statement that four military projects in their state will lose $72 million in funding to Trump’s border wall. These include a cyber facility at Joint Base Langley-Eustis, a Navy ship maintenance center in Portsmouth, and projects replacing hazardous materials warehouses in Norfolk and Portsmouth.

“The well-being of American troops is the core responsibility of every commander in the military, yet the Commander-in-Chief is shirking that duty so he can advance his own political agenda,” Kaine said.

Defense Department officials have suggested that the construction of the affected military projects need not be delayed if Congress “backfills” and approves their funding again in the near future. But Democrats in the House and Senate have vowed not to do so.

“I’m not voting to appropriate the same money to the same project twice because what they are doing is illegal and I’m not an idiot,” tweeted Sen. Brian Schatz of Hawaii, the top Democrat on the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Military Construction and Veterans Affairs.

Trump’s emergency declaration is also facing a legal challenge from the American Civil Liberties Union, which has pledged to “block Trump’s latest effort to raid military funds for his xenophobic wall.”

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/trump-border-wall-military-funds-senators-215751653.html

No one is safe from his majesty... Not even his brethren. 

B/A

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 4

The ACLU is a partisan farce. <_< They're a joke on humanity.

Defense of our Republic is our Military's responsibility.

Defending our border from the current onslaught is no different than defending

it from any other invading force wishing to do US harm.

Be patient, grasshoppahs... 

we'll eventually get it all back from the Mexican drug cartels &

their greedy, dysfunctional gubment.  ;)

BUILD ( and repair) THAT WALL.  :tiphat:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, bostonangler said:

Sen. Martha McSally (R-Ariz.), one of those who voted in support system" rel="">support of the declaration, announced early Wednesday that the Trump administration was diverting $30 million in funds from an Army base in her state to construction of the wall ― even though she previously received assurances from an acting secretary of defense that her state would be spared.

This is just my opinion but I would rather see a Wall than more military base construction.  Once you get a wall the free everything to the illegals stops and then you will have your money to upgrade military bases.  Do the math on free healthcare, free housing, free food and other services that you and I pay for and multiply that times 100,000 ( that is way low).  We won’t even talk about the other things like less drugs entering our country, safer communities, and health issues like measles.  Build the WALL, secure our borders.  

48 Million lost in Texas is NOYHING compared to the end of our State’s Invasion.  An invasion that stretches our resources from infrastructure, to schools and hospitals.  

The loss of this money isnt isn’t even an issue BA.  We want out State to be protected from the INVASION.  THAT IS THE FIRST RESPONSIBILITY OF ANY GOVERNMENT!!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Pitcher said:

This is just my opinion but I would rather see a Wall than more military base construction.  Once you get a wall the free everything to the illegals stops and then you will have your money to upgrade military bases.  Do the math on free healthcare, free housing, free food and other services that you and I pay for and multiply that times 100,000 ( that is way low).  We won’t even talk about the other things like less drugs entering our country, safer communities, and health issues like measles.  Build the WALL, secure our borders.  

48 Million lost in Texas is NOYHING compared to the end of our State’s Invasion.  An invasion that stretches our resources from infrastructure, to schools and hospitals.  

The loss of this money isnt isn’t even an issue BA.  We want out State to be protected from the INVASION.  THAT IS THE FIRST RESPONSIBILITY OF ANY GOVERNMENT!!!!!!

AMEN !  :bravo:

• Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, Pitcher said:

American capitalists need to stop hiring them, which wouldn't cost us a dime......and the military's funding, another key issue of Trump's campaign, would remain intact.  As always, just my opinion.

GO RV, then BV

Edited by Shabibilicious
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pitcher said:

All very good points. I think and it is just my opinion, that most of these people are coming for jobs. Just like making drugs illegal. It is useless as long as there is a market for them. We have seen decades of The War of Drugs fail, because Americans want drugs. I think the same is true for illegals. As long as they can get work they will keep on coming. To end their flow into our country we need to take away why they come and that is jobs. Jobs offered illegally by corporations and businesses who want cheap labor. So to actually fix the problem you need to stop it at the source... Arrest the people hiring... Of course that will never happen, as long as corporations can donate to campaigns... You can't blame them for leaving their broken and dangerous countries when they can come here and work. People always point out the expense of illegals, but there is another side. I see them in town everyday, buying gas, lunch, materials, paying rent, shopping in grocery stores and Wal-Mart. So they actually do put money in the system, but with all that said I agree we have a problem and the lack of accountability by those who hire make this a problem that will not go away, even if we have the biggest wall in the world, they will find other ways to chase their American dream.

B/A

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, SgtFuryUSCZ said:

Be patient, grasshoppahs... 

we'll eventually get it all back from the Mexican drug cartels &

their greedy, dysfunctional gubment.  ;)

BUILD ( and repair) THAT WALL.  :tiphat:

:twothumbs:   :twothumbs: EVEN MORE Truer Words, SgtFuryUSCZ, AND ALL The Very Best!!! :tiphat:   :tiphat:

Let's NOT forget THEE Chi-Com fentanyl crisis CROSSING OUR BORDERS FROM THEE SOUTH AND ALL THE OTHER ILLEGAL ALIENS FROM OTHER COUNTRIES ALL OVER THE WORLD!!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bostonangler said:

Jobs offered illegally by corporations and businesses who want cheap labor. So to actually fix the problem you need to stop it at the source... Arrest the people hiring..

3 hours ago, Shabibilicious said:

American capitalists need to stop hiring them,

I agree with both of you.  While we are going after those rascally ole Capitalists why don’t we make it a clean sweep and go after Liberals who are advertising in Mexico and Central America to come to America for free everything.  Let’s also go after the Dem politicians who are not enforcing the security of our borders and establishing Sanctuary Cities for illegals to settle. All of which is against the Law and Constitution. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Pitcher said:

I agree with both of you.  While we are going after those rascally ole Capitalists why don’t we make it a clean sweep and go after Liberals who are advertising in Mexico and Central America to come to America for free everything.  Let’s also go after the Dem politicians who are not enforcing the security of our borders and establishing Sanctuary Cities for illegals to settle. All of which is against the Law and Constitution. 

You make it sound like I believe only Republicans are "rascally ole Capitalists", when in reality I don't give a hoot what their political affiliation is.....stop providing jobs for illegals and they will seek employment elsewhere.  You make good arguments about equal justice quite a bit, but you sure don't hold Republicans feet to the fire very often for issues that are clearly bipartisan problems.  As always, just my opinion, no offense intended.

GO RV, then BV

• Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

in reality I don't give a hoot what their political affiliation is.....stop providing jobs for illegals and they will seek employment elsewhere. 

Thanks Shabbs… It doesn't get much plainer than that... Guilty is guilty. If you see a bunch of illegals roofing or mowing or walking into a factory, go do your patriotic duty and report the company or shut the hell up... I tired of all they people who sit at their computer whining about illegals when they know damn well who is mowing their grass or cleaning their house or working at the chicken factory... Report the company and then tell your lazy ass teenagers to get off their device and go get that job... I'm sure all these American kids are going to run right out and go to work... I was in a McDonalds not long ago and a 17 year old boy was applying for a job and talking to the manager. Guess who was answering the managers questions? His mommy! A 17 year old too immature to apply for a job without his mommy... We have a crisis alright, but I think we need to look in the mirror.

B/A

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You crack me up BA.  You are tired of people whining about illegals but we have to endure you and your liberal buddies whine about Trump everyday.  I guess we are all just a bunch of whiny crybabies.  

BTW, I cut my own grass.  Also, I didn’t talk much about why Democrats want illegals here.  Votes.  

You and Shabbs hold down the fort from the invasion of illegals.  This capitalist pig needs to go ply his trade.  

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 3

23 hours ago, Pitcher said:

BTW, I cut my own grass.

That made laugh because it's like the old saying "Not in my backyard". I also mow my own grass and I live on a very big hill... I guess that's my gym membership! But in the area I live we have many carpeting and flooring factories filled with illegals... One you might of heard of is Shaw Industries. Bob Shaw gives a lot of money to the republican party and even Bush and Reagan came to the very small town of Dalton GA to visit him. It's not often presidents go to such small towns. Here's the point. Shaw has many, many illegals working in his many plants and right before INS shows up, there is a special alarm and light that goes off and the illegals disappear. I guess what you pay for and Shaw gets a heads up for his money. Everyone knows this but trouble never comes his way and no one ever gets busted and there are no arrests or fines... You want to know who screwing America and her people, it's not the people coming to work, it's the people hiring them. How can people not understand this basic fact? Politicians get bought off and we pay the price.

B/A

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

You need to quote the whole sentence. Stop the free stuff and they won't be able to afford to live here.

They come here to work so they can send money back to their families. They then use all the free stuff to live here.

Building  the wall will stop or slow drastically the ability to come here.

And no, I have never hired an illegal immigrant. 

I am guessing you have first hand knowledge of the inner workings of Shaws hireing practices? 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, nstoolman1 said:

You need to quote the whole sentence. Stop the free stuff and they won't be able to afford to live here.

They come here to work so they can send money back to their families. They then use all the free stuff to live here.

I am guessing you have first hand knowledge of the inner workings of Shaws hireing practices? 

I rented a room  from a hispanic lady barely spoke english in san diego. She said it was just her and her little boy. A month later, her X husband moved in, her older daughter, and a family of 5 moved in the living room. Every weekend there would be a fireline of boxed food coming in from the churches, she showed me a stack of gov. support checks from the gov that she didnt even need to cash. Last straw was when one of the many kids unplugged the freezer and I was not told, so when I got really sick and asked about the freezer she how one of the kids unplugged it and everything defrosted. I gave my notice and I had to take her to court to get deposit back.  So ya, they get by just fine here in the states. They save their money and take it back home and retire well. 

Edited by jg1
  • Upvote 4

3 hours ago, nstoolman1 said:

As for you hiring illegals, you wouldn't know if they are legal or not. If you've hired companies and immigrants show up on the job site, see what happens when you ask to see green cards... Companies are not going to tell you their workers are illegal... Just ask Trump about the illegals in his businesses, I'm sure he or his employees would tell you they didn't know they were illegal.

I do have first hand knowledge of the Shaw company... It is a well known fact. I know legals who work there and they hate the illegals because the legals have done everything the right way and still see jobs go to the illegals.

B/A

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, bostonangler said:

As for you hiring illegals, you wouldn't know if they are legal or not. If you've hired companies and immigrants show up on the job site, see what happens when you ask to see green cards... Companies are not going to tell you their workers are illegal... Just ask Trump about the illegals in his businesses, I'm sure he or his employees would tell you they didn't know they were illegal.

I do have first hand knowledge of the Shaw company... It is a well known fact. I know legals who work there and they hate the illegals because the legals have done everything the right way and still see jobs go to the illegals.

Build the wall, and get rid of Sanctuary Cities.  Stop giving them jobs and free stuff, we are in agreement!!!  I’ve never heard you address the FACT that illegals vote and are encouraged to vote Dem, to get more free stuff.  It’s not just the big companies that are exploiting the illegals.  BTW, all of that activity is against the Law.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Pitcher said:

Build the wall, and get rid of Sanctuary Cities.  Stop giving them jobs and free stuff, we are in agreement!!!  I’ve never heard you address the FACT that illegals vote and are encouraged to vote Dem, to get more free stuff.  It’s not just the big companies that are exploiting the illegals.  BTW, all of that activity is against the Law.  

Pitcher I agree with all that... They shouldn't be allowed to vote. They shouldn't be given free stuff. Those who give them jobs have to be punished. Sanctuary cities are like everything else we see in government. It started out as an honest and good program to help people who were in dire straits and in need of a safe place. It ended up being another stupid government program that has failed. And building the wall is just cosmetics. It will not stop the desire to make money or come to America, as long as there are jobs for them to come and get. How many billions have we spent on the War Against Drugs? Too many billions to count. But drugs keep coming because Americans keep buying. Same mentality. They keep coming because companies keep hiring..

It's kind of weird. The left supports illegal immigrants and wants them. Left voters are cool with that, but right voters are not.

The right is against illegal immigrants and doesn't want them, but they support the companies bringing them in. So in reality, voters on the left and right are both supporting illegal immigrants... Weird stuff.  

B/A

Edited by bostonangler
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1