Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Mattis Sharply Rebukes Trump's Leadership

Mattis sharply rebukes Trump's leadership in a not-so-subtle op-ed warning against abandoning America's allies
Business Insider Ryan Pickrell,Business Insider 2 hours 0 minutes ago 

jim mattisAssociated Press/Pablo Martinez Monsivais

Former Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis has written what appears to be a not-so-subtle rebuke of President Donald Trump's leadership, not just at home but on the world stage.

"Using every skill I had learned during my decades as a Marine, I did as well as I could for as long as I could," Mattis, who resigned in December, wrote in an op-ed in the Wall Street Journal on Wednesday. The piece is adapted from his upcoming book "Call Sign Chaos: Learning to Lead," out September 3.

Revealing why he left the Department of Defense, he writes, "When my concrete solutions and strategic advice, especially keeping faith with our allies, no longer resonated, it was time to resign, despite the limitless joy I felt serving alongside our troops in defense of our Constitution."

In the piece, the former secretary of defense criticizes unnecessarily forceful leadership, calling attention to an unnamed admiral he worked with many years ago who would tear people down and publicly mock critics, creating fear in a harsh and aggressive manner.

"You're going the wrong way. You cannot allow your passion for excellence to destroy your compassion for them as human beings," Mattis told the admiral. "Change your leadership style. Coach and encourage; don't berate, least of all in public."

trump mattisWin McNamee/Getty Images

Among the many people Trump has publicly attacked are many American allies — from South Korea and Japan to NATO allies and partners — and he has done this while embracing authoritarian leaders in China, Russia, and North Korea.

"Nations with allies thrive, and those without them wither," Mattis, a former Marine Corps general, wrote. "At this time, we can see storm clouds gathering."

He continued, "A leader must display strategic acumen that incorporates respect for those nations that have stood with us when trouble loomed. Returning to a strategic stance that includes the interests of as many nations as we can make common cause with, we can better deal with this imperfect world we occupy together. Absent this, we will occupy an increasingly lonely position, one that puts us at increasing risk in the world."

Mattis made his decision to resign just as Trump, despite the advice of top advisers suggesting that the timing was not right, decided to withdraw US forces from Syria while also signaling that he intended to pull US forces out of Afghanistan, a move that would have abandoned regional partners had the president followed through.

jim mattisAssociated Press/Pablo Martinez Monsivais

"My views on treating allies with respect and also being clear-eyed about both malign actors and strategic competitors are strongly held and informed over four decades of immersion in these issue," he wrote in his resignation letter, explaining that Trump should select a secretary of defense "whose views are better aligned" with his own.

In Wednesday's op-ed, Mattis also warned against partisan politics and division threatening American democracy.

"We are dividing into hostile tribes cheering against each other, fueled by emotion and a mutual disdain that jeopardizes our future, instead of rediscovering our common ground and finding solutions," he wrote.

"All Americans need to recognize that our democracy is an experiment — and one that can be reversed. We all know that we're better than our current politics. Tribalism must not be allowed to destroy our experiment."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mattis-sharply-rebukes-trumps-leadership-124633659.html

One smart General, Semper Fi, Sir.  :salute:

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Shabibilicious said:

In Wednesday's op-ed, Mattis also warned against partisan politics and division threatening American democracy.

"We are dividing into hostile tribes cheering against each other, fueled by emotion and a mutual disdain that jeopardizes our future, instead of rediscovering our common ground and finding solutions," he wrote.

"All Americans need to recognize that our democracy is an experiment — and one that can be reversed. We all know that we're better than our current politics. Tribalism must not be allowed to destroy our experiment."

I believe he is someone to listen to but he is not only knocking President Trump he is also knocking partisan politics which include both Reps and Dems.  I would like to hear what he has to say about the Dems Spying on President Trump and the Phony Russian Dossier Story, especially since he believes in protecting the Constitution.  I guess we’ll have to buy the book to find out what he thinks about those kind of things.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Pitcher said:

I believe he is someone to listen to but he is not only knocking President Trump he is also knocking partisan politics which include both Reps and Dems.  I would like to hear what he has to say about the Dems Spying on President Trump and the Phony Russian Dossier Story, especially since he believes in protecting the Constitution.  I guess we’ll have to buy the book to find out what he thinks about those kind of things.  

Why is it bad that Gen. Mattis is knocking partisan politics......nothing gets done and we don't move forward as a country for the good of all unless bipartisan politicians work together?  And maybe Mad dog didn't witness any of those other things you speak of, or viewed them as above his station....he did resign after all believing he couldn't perform his duties to his own standard of excellence.  

GO RV, then BV

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

Guess we will have to read his book.  He can knock the President, he worked closely with him, it’s his opinion.  I was referring to his comment about protecting the Constitution.  If he believes that then he couldn’t have liked the Spying allegations and a RC story that has some damning ramifications as far as our Constitution goes.  That will be coming down the pike next month.  

• Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

Makes for a great headline.....pretty sensational indeed.......no where in the book did Mattis "rebuke" the Commander in Chief he served under.......the book comes out next week......buy it and read it....draw your own conclusions.......here is a quick summary of the book......CL

Description

Product description

A clear-eyed account of learning how to lead in a chaotic world, by General Jim Mattis—the former Secretary of Defense and one of the most formidable strategic thinkers of our time—and Bing West, a former assistant secretary of defense and combat Marine. 

Call Sign Chaos is the account of Jim Mattis’s storied career, from wide-ranging leadership roles in three wars to ultimately commanding a quarter of a million troops across the Middle East. Along the way, Mattis recounts his foundational experiences as a leader, extracting the lessons he has learned about the nature of warfighting and peacemaking, the importance of allies, and the strategic dilemmas—and short-sighted thinking—now facing our nation. He makes it clear why America must return to a strategic footing so as not to continue winning battles but fighting inconclusive wars. 

Mattis divides his book into three parts: Direct Leadership, Executive Leadership, and Strategic Leadership. In the first part, Mattis recalls his early experiences leading Marines into battle, when he knew his troops as well as his own brothers. In the second part, he explores what it means to command thousands of troops and how to adapt your leadership style to ensure your intent is understood by your most junior troops so that they can own their mission. In the third part, Mattis describes the challenges and techniques of leadership at the strategic level, where military leaders reconcile war’s grim realities with political leaders’ human aspirations, where complexity reigns and the consequences of imprudence are severe, even catastrophic. 

Call Sign Chaos is a memoir of a life of warfighting and lifelong learning, following along as Mattis rises from Marine recruit to four-star general. It is a journey about learning to lead and a story about how he, through constant study and action, developed a unique leadership philosophy, one relevant to us all.

Review

Advance praise for Call Sign Chaos 

“Combining simplicity and thoughtfulness, Jim Mattis has produced a classic account of a lifetime of service. Call Sign Chaos is a lesson in leadership and an evocation of humanity in the cause of peace.” —Henry Kissinger 

“In this magnificent memoir, Jim Mattis details many important events in his career, but he also does much more: He explains how he is informed by his experiences in a way that teaches you how to learn from your own. Read, enjoy, and learn.” —George Shultz

About the Author

Jim Mattis is a Pacific Northwest native who served more than four decades as a Marine infantry officer. Following two years as the Secretary of Defense, he returned to the Northwest and is now the Davies Family Distinguished Fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University. 

Bing West has written ten books about combat. He served as a Marine grunt in Vietnam and later as an assistant secretary of defense in the Reagan administration. He has been on hundreds of patrols in Iraq and Afghanistan, including many operations with General Mattis. He is a member of the Military History Working Group at the Hoover Institution. He lives with his wife, Betsy, in Hilton Head, South Carolina, and Newport, Rhode Island.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

WOW, sorry guys I thought everyone would realize I was referring to Mattis

2 hours ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

That's what I meant, yes.

If you thought I would make a comment like that about any member here I am shocked. I respect everyone's opinion here but I am beginning to loath those sickos who lead us.  

Well then, it's just a matter of time before you realize Trump has brought all of this on himself......In your honest opinion, who's strength of moral character is stronger, Trump's or Mattis' and why?

GO RV, then BV

Edited by Shabibilicious
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, coorslite21 said:

Makes for a great headline.....pretty sensational indeed.......no where in the book did Mattis "rebuke" the Commander in Chief he served under.......the book comes out next week......buy it and read it....draw your own conclusions.......here is a quick summary of the book......CL

Description

Product description

A clear-eyed account of learning how to lead in a chaotic world, by General Jim Mattis—the former Secretary of Defense and one of the most formidable strategic thinkers of our time—and Bing West, a former assistant secretary of defense and combat Marine. 

Call Sign Chaos is the account of Jim Mattis’s storied career, from wide-ranging leadership roles in three wars to ultimately commanding a quarter of a million troops across the Middle East. Along the way, Mattis recounts his foundational experiences as a leader, extracting the lessons he has learned about the nature of warfighting and peacemaking, the importance of allies, and the strategic dilemmas—and short-sighted thinking—now facing our nation. He makes it clear why America must return to a strategic footing so as not to continue winning battles but fighting inconclusive wars. 

Mattis divides his book into three parts: Direct Leadership, Executive Leadership, and Strategic Leadership. In the first part, Mattis recalls his early experiences leading Marines into battle, when he knew his troops as well as his own brothers. In the second part, he explores what it means to command thousands of troops and how to adapt your leadership style to ensure your intent is understood by your most junior troops so that they can own their mission. In the third part, Mattis describes the challenges and techniques of leadership at the strategic level, where military leaders reconcile war’s grim realities with political leaders’ human aspirations, where complexity reigns and the consequences of imprudence are severe, even catastrophic. 

Call Sign Chaos is a memoir of a life of warfighting and lifelong learning, following along as Mattis rises from Marine recruit to four-star general. It is a journey about learning to lead and a story about how he, through constant study and action, developed a unique leadership philosophy, one relevant to us all.

Review

Advance praise for Call Sign Chaos 

“Combining simplicity and thoughtfulness, Jim Mattis has produced a classic account of a lifetime of service. Call Sign Chaos is a lesson in leadership and an evocation of humanity in the cause of peace.” —Henry Kissinger 

“In this magnificent memoir, Jim Mattis details many important events in his career, but he also does much more: He explains how he is informed by his experiences in a way that teaches you how to learn from your own. Read, enjoy, and learn.” —George Shultz

About the Author

Jim Mattis is a Pacific Northwest native who served more than four decades as a Marine infantry officer. Following two years as the Secretary of Defense, he returned to the Northwest and is now the Davies Family Distinguished Fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University. 

Bing West has written ten books about combat. He served as a Marine grunt in Vietnam and later as an assistant secretary of defense in the Reagan administration. He has been on hundreds of patrols in Iraq and Afghanistan, including many operations with General Mattis. He is a member of the Military History Working Group at the Hoover Institution. He lives with his wife, Betsy, in Hilton Head, South Carolina, and Newport, Rhode Island.

Thanks, for the clarity CL. 👍🏻👍🏻

They’re like a tic in the groin. 

Constantly irritating.  

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

Well then, it's just a matter of time before you realize Trump has brought all of this on himself......In your honest opinion, who's strength of moral character is stronger, Trump's or Mattis' and why?

GO RV, then BV

Neither, 

Trump for obvious reasons 

Mattis for violating a time homered 

Marine Corps code of ethics.

15 minutes ago, coorslite21 said:

And why would you infer that about Mattis?......pedophilia is a pretty hash accusation/suggestion.....

CL

As stated above, in the Marine Corps we have a code of ethics we do not violate under any circumstances. Speaking ill of your commander-in-chief is on the top of that list. Mattis did this while still wearing the uniform and continues to do so to this day. As a Marine I find his behavior reprehensible and suggestive of other reprehensible Behavior.

But what I find the most reprehensible is this anger and uncontrolled hatred toward president Trump. Not that it isn't deserved but that everyone is angry for the wrong reason. If you're going to hate President Trump at least do so for the right reason. These people are hating out of fear and that suggests they have something to hide.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

GO RV, then BV

Just might be that the corrupt DOJ and the biased media was more responsible for all of this chaos....after all....they built the house of lies and spread the false accusations.

Trump has faults.....but you can't fault him for fighting back to fix a broken system....after all....that's why he was elected......Drain that swamp!

CL

• Like 1

1 minute ago, coorslite21 said:

Just might be that the corrupt DOJ and the biased media was more responsible for all of this chaos....after all....they built the house of lies and spread the false accusations.

Trump has faults.....but you can't fault him for fighting back to fix a broken system....after all....that's why he was elected......Drain that swamp!

CL

Please, the media could not figure out how to wipe their butts without instructions. Trump has been playing them from the day he came down the escalator like a marionette. Trump did not bring this on himself, he created this mess for himself. He has the media the nation and the world right where he intended it to be. And he is far more powerful than anyone is willing to admit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

End Quote

So true....Thanks....

That's the new concept of Politics all over the world ( in some Nations, one of them being Italy but not only, more than others...Unfortunately)

Hostile tribes...Pefect definition imho.....But that was intentionally created and fed in a very aware way  by big shot Politicians ( in my Country it's surely so....But let's not forget lots of other places ie. UK, France, Brazil etc...Just to name a few...)

Of course that will only bring  problems in the form of more and more verbal violence ( at first), then physical violence, then continuous riots and fights in the street as that is the "new" ( not so new....let's remember Hitler and Mussolini...how it all started...) idea that has been given to the People by some dangerous and wicked and anti-DEMOCRACY Politicians...

One of the messages being sent to the crowds ( more or les openly, more or less subtly..) being ......NOT to accept anybody, any Individual, anything, any thought, any concept, whatever which might impact against the idea of "normalcy" some Politician has decided to choose ,to pick...For Everybody, mind you.....no matter what......

Some / many cattle folks will immediately accept that without even trying to reason a second on the subject ( has happened 100's of times in History already)...Consequences: increase of intolerance, violence, of course racism and a lot more....

All of that above goes clearly against the very concept of DEMOCRACY and inclusion and accept/ respect  ( or at least discuss, debate in a civil manner) other People's thoughts, concepts, ways etc....This way then it can only get worse and worse....Let's remember that Politicians ( I refer now to the ones pushing those concepts)  are humman  therefore  they are  light-years ( just like all of us) away from INFALLIBILITY and/or PERFECTION.....

Parents and schools ( and Universities, colleges) could and can do a lot to contrast this one-way and un-democratic form of thinking  ( I'd say typical of the far-right but not only .....and that's anyway jmvho)...Before it's too late......

• Upvote 1