Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Second Amendment

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,

the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

https://www.constitution.org/cons/wellregu.htm

The meaning of the phrase "well-regulated" in the 2nd amendment

The following are taken from the Oxford English Dictionary, and bracket in time the writing of the 2nd amendment:

1709: "If a liberal Education has formed in us well-regulated Appetites and worthy Inclinations."

1714: "The practice of all well-regulated courts of justice in the world."

1812: "The equation of time ... is the adjustment of the difference of time as shown by a well-regulated clock and a true sun dial."

1848: "A remissness for which I am sure every well-regulated person will blame the Mayor."

1862: "It appeared to her well-regulated mind, like a clandestine proceeding."

1894: "The newspaper, a never wanting adjunct to every well-regulated American embryo city."

The phrase "well-regulated" was in common use long before 1789, and remained so for a century thereafter. It referred to the property of something being in proper working order. Something that was well-regulated was calibrated correctly, functioning as expected. Establishing government oversight of the people's arms was not only not the intent in using the phrase in the 2nd amendment, it was precisely to render the government powerless to do so that the founders wrote it.

It does not mean "Control" but training or educated. 

It was written to protect the citizens from a tyrannical or controlling government not for the government to control and restrict the citizens right to protect themselves from such. 
In my opinion any law or statute that restricts that right is unconstitutional and should be stricken from the books. 
It is very clear when you read it. Insert the word educated or trained for regulated and it clears right up. 
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Thank you for providing this info nstoolman.  It's a great example of how over time interpretations evolve and the very reason constitutional scholars have debated every aspect of the documents created by the founders.  If one piece can't be accepted as verbatim then reason dictates the same must exist in elsewhere in the text.

GO RV, then BV 

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, nstoolman1 said:
It does not mean "Control" but training or educated. 

It was written to protect the citizens from a tyrannical or controlling government not for the government to control and restrict the citizens right to protect themselves from such. 
In my opinion any law or statute that restricts that right is unconstitutional and should be stricken from the books. 
It is very clear when you read it. Insert the word educated or trained for regulated and it clears right up. 

:twothumbs: Thank You, NSToolMan1, AND The Very Best Of The Rest Of Your Week AND Up Coming Weekend To You!!! :tiphat:

It is SO refreshing to see YOU display THEE MOST "well" SELF "regulated" "militia" BEING YOUR SUPERIOR INTELLIGENCE!!!

I find Your "Display Of Intellectual Speed And Power" SO REFRESHING AND "issue" You "emeralds" AND "purple" "trophies" INSTEAD OF Red Ruby Citations.

I hope You don't mind!!! :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, nstoolman1 said:

Thank you.

No one has ever said I had "intellectual speed and power" before. 

WERE, pray tell, YOU EVER Issued Red Ruby Citations As Badges Of Honor HERE at DinarVets BEFORE???!!!

:lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:

Well, OK I BELIEVE The Red Ruby Citations YOU RECEIVED As Badges Of Honor "indicate" CONCLUSIVELY "intellectual speed and power" whether spoken OR NOT!!!

YOU The MAN, NSToolMan1!!!

:twothumbs:   :twothumbs:   :twothumbs:

Hey, I'll STAND with YOU AND Get YOUR Six!!!

:salute:   :salute:   :salute:

Carry On!!!

:tiphat:   :tiphat:   :tiphat:

• Thanks 1