Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Go Iraq Part 6

6ly410

14 minutes ago, ChuckFinley said:

Guess you know the American way already.

Understand you are getting a PM.

Did you see my post about your home town?

Thanks, Chuck and please forgive my huge ignorance on the subject since I have probaly never rec'd a PM here on DV...How do I proceed  in order to get to that and read it? Thanks in advance

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Floridian said:

I was born in the States, but my Mother and all 4 grandparents were from Sicily.  I used to speak Italian (or should I say Sicilian, LOL) fluently, but now I'm out-of-practice, as there is no one left in the family who speaks Italian.  😊

Thanks for letting me know...As  I said previously my beloved Dad was born and lived a few years in Messina (befor moving to Trento for good) which is the very 1st town the boat reaches  after it leaves the last homeland point of Italy called Villa San Giovanni, Calabria region....I visited Sicily only 3 times when I was a child and never got back anymore...I have lots of cousins there who'd want me to go.....Maybe I will one of these days

I do not speak a word of Sicilian dialect myself as  my Mom being from deep north and Dad being from deep south, they'd talk proper Italian at thome for the practical reason of understanding each other...So I was born hearing them speak proper Italian...Of course, living in Treanto all my life I sometimes do speak ( and understand) the local dialect here...Even though I rather express myself in proper Italian....

Best and Thanks

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, umbertino said:

Thanks for letting me know...As  I said previously my beloved Dad was born and lived a few years in Messina (befor moving to Trento for good) which is the very 1st town the boat reaches  after it leaves the last homeland point of Italy called Villa San Giovanni, Calabria region....I visited Sicily only 3 times when I was a child and never got back anymore...I have lots of cousins there who'd want me to go.....Maybe I will one of these days

I do not speak a word of Sicilian dialect myself as  my Mom being from deep north and Dad being from deep south, they'd talk proper Italian at thome for the practical reason of understanding each other...So I was born hearing them speak proper Italian...Of course, living in Treanto all my life I sometimes do speak ( and understand) the local dialect here...Even though I rather express myself in proper Italian....

Best and Thanks

You've lived in Trento all of your life?  I'm amazed at how well you speak English, Umbertino.  In reading all your past posts, I thought you were an American who moved to Italy.  Good job!  😀

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, umbertino said:

Thanks, Chuck and please forgive my huge ignorance on the subject since I have probaly never rec'd a PM here on DV...How do I proceed  in order to get to that and read it? Thanks in advance

I was referring to your Prime Minister (PM) Conte resigning. It looks like you will be getting a new PM. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Floridian said:

You've lived in Trento all of your life?  I'm amazed at how well you speak English, Umbertino.  In reading all your past posts, I thought you were an American who moved to Italy.  Good job!  😀

You're very kind...A few years back I traveled extensively ( money permitting, of course)...Visited ( among other Countries) the States around 10 times , and one of those I stopped over (legally) for 1 year doing a volunteer work in a low-income kids ( with problematic families) center in Bloomington, IN...While other times I simply travelled around ( usually by Greyhound, the best way to meet people) ....Then made a 2nd volunteer experience for a few weeks  with the Los Angeles Catholic Worker inLA skid Row...In those years ( except the one year in Indiana)  I used to work in a Bank here in Trento.......

I have been in most Countries of Western Europe, In a few African Countries, once in Asia.......Also ( for a very few days ) in Canada  and for a n ntire day ( lol) in Nogales, Sonora, Mexico ( while I was staying in Tucson, AZ.

Thanks for the super kind words....So appreciated!

Edited by umbertino
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ChuckFinley said:

I was referring to your Prime Minister (PM) Conte resigning. It looks like you will be getting a new PM. 

OHHHHHHHH...That you meant...I thought you were talking about a Personal Message.....

Sure...We're going probably soon to have a new PM and a new Gov't...

I usually post most things concerning Italy in the Italy's thread in the Political section

Thanks....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, umbertino said:

OHHHHHHHH...That you meant...I thought you were talking about a Personal Message.....

Sure...We're going probably soon to have a new PM and a new Gov't...

I usually post most things concerning Italy in the Italy's thread in the Political section

Thanks....

I lived in Europe for a while and throw you a curve ball (meaning I was using something you would use in Italy while you were thinking it was something from the States). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Floridian said:

You're very kind...A few years back I traveled extensively ( money permitting, of course)...Visited ( among other Countries) the States around 10 times , and one of those I stopped over (legally) for 1 year doing a volunteer work in a low-income kids ( with problematic families) center in Bloomington, IN...While other times I simply travelled around ( usually by Greyhound, the best way to meet people) ....Then made a 2nd volunteer experience for a few weeks  with the Los Angeles Catholic Worker in LA Skid Row...In those years ( except the one year in Indiana)  I used to work in a Bank here in Trento.......

I have been in most Countries of Western Europe, In a few African Countries, once in Asia.......Also ( for a very few days ) in Canada  and for entire day ( lol) in Nogales, Sonora, Mexico ( while I was staying in Tucson, AZ.

11 minutes ago, umbertino said:

You're very kind...A few years back I traveled extensively ( money permitting, of course)...Visited ( among other Countries) the States around 10 times , and one of those I stopped over (legally) for 1 year doing a volunteer work in a low-income kids ( with problematic families) center in Bloomington, IN...While other times I simply travelled around ( usually by Greyhound, the best way to meet people) ....Then made a 2nd volunteer experience for a few weeks  with the Los Angeles Catholic Worker inLA skid Row...In those years ( except the one year in Indiana)  I used to work in a Bank here in Trento.......

I have been in most Countries of Western Europe, In a few African Countries, once in Asia.......Also ( for a very few days ) in Canada  and for a n ntire day ( lol) in Nogales, Sonora, Mexico ( while I was staying in Tucson, AZ.

WOW!  That's terrific that you were able to see so much of the world, and all your volunteering is a wonderful thing.  😊

• Thanks 1

End Quote

Sorry...Forgot to mention Central America ( Cuba many times and also the Dominican Republic) plus South America  ( Brazil and Suriname a fmr. Dutch colony...I t was somehow impressive seeing the locals , all black, speaking Dutch, besides their own local languages which derive from ancient African languages dating back to the times when their Forefathers were brought there in chains  as slaves)

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Floridian said:

WOW!  That's terrific that you were able to see so much of the world, and all your volunteering is a wonderful thing.  😊

THANK YOU! BUT IT WASN'T THAT MUCH OF A VOLUNTEERING IN TIME TERMS, TO BE HONEST....i'D HAVE LOVED TO do that A LOT MORE...But when  I got back from the year in Bloomington...My Dad ( who was a very good man and I loved profoundly..but he exerted his Father authority which is normal)  told me..." Ok , you did your thing...now..To work!" 

Since I didn't want to be anymore an economic weight for my Family I said ...Ok..

My plans instead were to go to Calcutta, India and work with Mother Theresa.....

Edited by umbertino
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ChuckFinley said:

You need to get your 2nd citizenships from Italy.

Been working on getting my second passport from Italy, My Dads parents are both from Barano d'ischia, I've actually found both of my Grandparents in the local birth records. I have copies of course, but I think I'll need an extract of the originals. I also have an appointment at the Consolato Generale d'italia, New York,  end of September and they are hard to secure. Unfortunately that's not enough time to get originals from Barano d'ischia but I'll give it a try anyways... Ciao

Edited by 64jaguar
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, ChuckFinley said:

I lived in Europe for a while and throw you a curve ball (meaning I was using something you would use in Italy while you were thinking it was something from the States). 

Oh...Ok....Throw a curve ball.....Another expression  I'm learning which I didn't know at all....

Thanks

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Half Crazy Runner said:

I’ve always thought that Italian was the most beautiful language to hear spoken! Maybe one day I’ll learn to speak some of it. 🇮🇹 

Thank you, Half Crazy Runner...You're very kind....

I'm sure you'll learn it easily!

Sorry...Still out of pluses....

Edited by umbertino
  • Thanks 1

Glad you know Spain and share my enthusiasm...But of course ANY PLACE / COUNTRY  will do...I imagine there'll be a sort of poll for deciding the place....And  the majority  will have the last say  as it's norm in a Democracy...Could be even the Arctic or Antartica...tHE IMPORTANT THING IS  TO MEET EACH OTHER AND CELEBRATE  WITH A JOYFUL SPIRIT, PEACE, HARMONY AND SERENITY......

End Quote

I'd feel like adding....POLITICAL TALK ( ANY KIND) STRICTLY FORBIDDEN....ALSO RELIGION,  and SOCCER, FOOTBALL, BASEBALL , BASKET TEAMS

We can talk about food, money, how we wanna spend that money, cars, motorcycles, boats, Women, Men etc......Weapons? I don't know.......

We'll need a poll for all that as well........

Edited by umbertino
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, umbertino said:

THANK YOU! BUT IT WASN'T THAT MUCH OF A VOLUNTEERING IN TIME TERMS, TO BE HONEST....i'D HAVE LOVED TO do that A LOT MORE...But when  I got back from the year in Bloomington...My Dad ( who was a very good man and I loved profoundly..but he exerted his Father authority which is normal)  told me..." Ok , you did your thing...now..To work!" 

Since I didn't want to be anymore an economic weight for my Family I said ...Ok..

My plans instead were to go to Calcutta, India and work with Mother Theresa.....

Geez, Mother Theresa huh?

WOW!  I'm impressed, even if you didn't get to do that.

You are a good man, Umbertino.  😊

• Thanks 1