Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

A moment of prayer

43 minutes ago, nstoolman1 said:

Well I am also thankful that because it was dropped my father did not have to go in with the invasion force into Japan.

From my point of view some positive  and negative. 

He did witness the 4th and 5th atomic bomb detonations at Bikina Atoll.

Ok.....I see...I understand about your Father....We all do love our Fatheres ( and Mothers)

And of course you're only grateful ( I'd imagine) that you were not a citizen ( a man, a woman, a child) of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, right?

Best

24 minutes ago, nstoolman1 said:

No worries. And yes I am grateful I have not endured a lot of the samples of suffering that has occurred throughout history. 

Out of pluses.....I reward you now symbolically ( and then I will  in reality when I get re-loaded) for your intellectual honesty.....

The amount of destruction wrought on humanity by hitler & the emperor had to be stopped somehow.

This was the only way.

Those innocents whose lives were lost by the failings of their 'leaders' paid a heavy price, indeed.

Their blood is on the hands of hitler & their emperor, not the brave men & women of this world who

were forced to take drastic measures to save the rest of humanity.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

I had the distinct honor and privilege to meet and talk to Gen. Paul Tibbets once while in Houston. For those that don't know, he flew the Enola G ay, the B-29 that dropped the atomic bomb, "Little Boy", on Hiroshima. He said the bomb needed to be dropped and he had no problems with it. It was estimated that there would be over 1 million casualties in the first few weeks with over 250K killed with an invasion of the Japanese mainland. The American lives that would be saved was worth it. I happen to agree with him. Both my grandfathers were glad it was dropped. One was Okinawa preparing for the invasion when it was dropped. My other grandfather had just finished combat operations in Germany and was actually training for the invasion of Japan while other units were doing mop up operations in country. They had already been told their unit was gonna board a ship, head back to New York, get on a train and go to the west coast and board another boat headed for Japan. I know he said many times he was not looking forward to that.

And for those that would still say it was still not worth it, it was also estimated that there would be 10 million Japanese casualties if we invaded the mainland. We would have bombed them into oblivion non stop. I agree with @SgtFuryUSCZ, this was the only way to stop the fanaticism of the Japanese at the time.

Col. Paul Tibbets - Pilot of the Enola G ay

02tibbets_450.jpg.f0dee2354b5e5d5dfe35e4fb1b562977.jpg

Edited by 8th ID
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SgtFuryUSCZ said:

The amount of destruction wrought on humanity by hitler & the emperor had to be stopped somehow.

This was the only way.

Those innocents whose lives were lost by the failings of their 'leaders' paid a heavy price, indeed.

Their blood is on the hands of hitler & their emperor, not the brave men & women of this world who

were forced to take drastic measures to save the rest of humanity.

Yes...

Sadly we (Italians) , the Germans and the Japanese  were on the other side ( but not for our choice...Decisions were taken by our Countries Dictators, unfortunately)..

And the ( mostly innocent) People had to pay the price ( as usual)...Innocent Folks were treated ( by their own Dictators and then by consequence also by our war opponents) as pawns as happens in every war

Let's hope things like that will never happen again for ourselves, for our children and for the children of our children  etc.......

• Like 1

My perspective is simply if you are at war...you try to win....we didn't start it and had a means to end it quickly.....more than likey saving the lives of many of our countries young men....how many of us today might not be here if our WW2 relatives had fought on for a couple of more years...

I am also thankful I am not speaking German or Japanese today.....and I really doubt either of those countries would have helped the US ...as the US helped re-purpose them...

Additionally the US could have done a great deal more damage in Tokyo or Berlin...but chose to make the statement in the smaller cities....

Germany was on the cusp of their own Atom bomb.....so in my mind there really was no other option....

JMO.     CL

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

I've been thinking of this clip from the moment I read the first post here. 

"You think it was a mistake"?

"If someone asked me do you  think we should drop the bomb on Hiroshima, I'd say,  Yes Sir drop that  F#%&er TWICE. "

IN THE NUCLEAR WORLD THE TRUE ENEMY IS WAR ITSELF 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1