Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Top Gun: Maverick (2020)

Markinsa

tgmcruise1050.jpg?itok=G4U3P1WY
Tom Cruise plays Captain Pete Mitchell in "Top Gun: Maverick." (Paramount)

18 Jul 2019
Military.com | By James Barber

Today is a great day for the United States Navy and for the United States of America: The "Top Gun: Maverick" trailer premiered at Comic-Con in San Diego, and now we're able to share it with you.

Tom Cruise returns as aviator Pete "Maverick" Mitchell. It's 33 years later, and Lt. Mitchell has only made captain even as he's refused to retire from the Navy and, somehow, the brass hasn't forced him out.

Our first look at the movie focuses on Maverick as his commanding officer (Ed Harris) is detailing his failures ("You should be at least a two-star admiral by now") and declaring that Maverick's once radical ways are going the way of the dinosaur.

Maverick is having none of that. "Maybe so, sir. But not today." Boom.

The original 1986 movie was one of the greatest recruiting tools in military history, and the Navy seems to have gone all-in on "Maverick" with support for filming its planes and onboard its ships. The stunts in this trailer far outstrip anything we saw in the original movie and feature many sensuous shots of the F/A-18 Super Hornet. We'll have to find out next year if they've come up with a story to go with the action.

Cruise takes all of this very seriously. "Thirty-four years ago, I made a movie in San Diego and shot across the street [from Comic-Con] in a restaurant. … I was always asked, 'When are you going to do another one?' Well, you've been very patient with me. I felt like it was my responsibility to really deliver for you."

TGM_Dom_Online_Teaser_1-Sheet_Jacket_Bac
(Paramount Pictures)

Cruise has made several superior movies over the last decade or so, including the "Mission Impossible" movies, "Oblivion," "Edge of Tomorrow" and the first "Jack Reacher" film. He's also made a second, far less impressive "Jack Reacher" and the terrifying disaster that was "The Mummy."

Fortunately, "Top Gun: Maverick" is working from a screenplay co-written by current "MI" writer/director Christopher McQuarrie and is directed by "Oblivion" director Joseph Kosinski, who also helmed last year's underrated firefighter movie "Only the Brave." Cruise brought his A-team to "Maverick."

The trailer features brief glimpses of co-stars Jon Hamm in uniform and Jennifer Connelly, but we don't yet see the return of Iceman (Val Kilmer), Miles Teller, Glen Powell, Lewis Pullman or any of the other young cast members.

We've got a long wait. "Top Gun: Maverick" opens in theaters June 26, 2020. Mark your calendars, and keep checking back for every scrap of "Maverick" news we can find.

Editor's Note: This story has been updated to correct the year of the original movie's release.

Keep Up With the Best in Military Entertainment

Whether you're looking for news and entertainment, thinking of joining the military or keeping up with military life and benefits, Military.com has you covered. Sign up for a free Military.com membership to have military news, updates and resources delivered directly to your inbox.

© Copyright 2019 Military.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
  • Upvote 1

I enjoy watching movies like this, the only problem I have is I have to watch them alone, because having flown Fighters in the real world, I become critical of certain scenes being totally unrealistic. I have to keep in mind it is entertainment. The flying in the first Top Gun was great to the untrained eye, but liberties were taken in some scenes. In the trailer of this movie the flying seems a bit more realistic, time will tell. Great job by the Navy going all in on the second Top Gun. It instills great pride and patriotism in our country and most of our citizens, which is sorely needed today. Go Air Force!!😎

Edited by md11fr8dawg
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, md11fr8dawg said:

I enjoy watching movies like this, the only problem I have is I have to watch them alone, because having flown Fighters in the real world, I become critical of certain scenes being totally unrealistic. I have to keep in mind it is entertainment. The flying in the first Top Gun was great to the untrained eye, but liberties were taken in some scenes. In the trailer of this movie the flying seems a bit more realistic, time will tell. Great job by the Navy going all in on the second Top Gun. It instills great pride and patriotism in our country and most of our citizens, which is sorely needed today. Go Air Force!!😎

Thanks for the feedback...more importantly, thank you for your service!!!👍🇺🇸

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, md11fr8dawg said:

And thank you for your my "Brother in Arms":salute:

:salute: !!!md11fr8dawg!!! :salute:

18 minutes ago, CSM (R) Thackrey said:

Hooah!!!👍🇺🇸

:salute: !!!CSM (R) Thackrey!!! :salute:

:twothumbs: Thank You BOTH For Your Service To Our Country, md11fr8dawg AND CSM (R) Thackrey, AND The Very Best Of Your Weekends To You Both!!! :tiphat:

Since we are mentioning "arms", does THIS count???!!!

image.png.62748b05032bb687d45b9d3762e539e7.png

This is three (3) shots at 100 yards with my 17-223 and a 25 gr Hornady V-Max bullet with a CCI 450 primer in a R-P case and 25.3 gr of Hodgdon CFE223 at 3,930 ft/s on the chronograph.  The horizontal and vertical lines are 1" apart.

THIS BABY does wonders on dinner plate sized turtles.

:lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:

Well, OK, I do have MORE "stories" to tell.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Synopsis said:

:salute: !!!md11fr8dawg!!! :salute:

:salute: !!!CSM (R) Thackrey!!! :salute:

:twothumbs: Thank You BOTH For Your Service To Our Country, md11fr8dawg AND CSM (R) Thackrey, AND The Very Best Of Your Weekends To You Both!!! :tiphat:

Since we are mentioning "arms", does THIS count???!!!

image.png.62748b05032bb687d45b9d3762e539e7.png

This is three (3) shots at 100 yards with my 17-223 and a 25 gr Hornady V-Max bullet with a CCI 450 primer in a R-P case and 25.3 gr of Hodgdon CFE223 at 3,930 ft/s on the chronograph.  The horizontal and vertical lines are 1" apart.

THIS BABY does wonders on dinner plate sized turtles.

Well, OK, I do have MORE "stories" to tell.

Woo-Hoo...Nice group Synopsis!!!👍👍🇺🇸  The wife and I blew some rounds down range today!!!  We each have a Sig P320 M-17B!!!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, CSM (R) Thackrey said:

Woo-Hoo...Nice group Synopsis!!!👍👍🇺🇸  The wife and I blew some rounds down range today!!!  We each have a Sig P320 M-17B!!!

🤜 🤛 🇺🇸   🇺🇸   🇺🇸

I have a SIG P2022 AND REALLY LIKE THAT BABY!!!

I load my 9 mm, too. I load a Ranier 115 gr plated hollow point for target and a 124 gr Hornady XTP.

I use a CCI 550 primer and 8.2 gr of Alliant Blue Dot with the 115 gr with a "result" of 1,290 ft/s on the chronograph AND 7.5 gr of Alliant Blue Dot with the 124 gr with a "result" of 1,200 ft/s on the chronograph. Lil' more than factory (:lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:) !!!

NO over pressure, though!!!

I find that powder does make a difference even with pistols on the tightness of the group and where the bullet groups with reference to the point of aim. THESE BABIES group NICE!!!

I have quite a few of my own loads from 9 mm through 500 S&W INCLUDING the Judge/Governor 410 000 buck loads. I cast my own. With the 410, I also use a 158 gr 358 lead cast with two 000 on top. The 158 gr 358 tumbles.

Imagine THAT!!!

:lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:

Well, OK, I have LOTS of FUN with rifles, TOO!!!

I am surprised there is NOT a reloading forum here at DinarVets. Does anyone know why???!!!

• Upvote 1