Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Useless Trivia... I did not know that ?

pokerplayer

While we wait..... I know most, if not all have run across useless bits of Information. Note* I said Information, not people...lol

Figured since we are all waiting I'd start a topic were we could post things we run across for everyone to read.

Please nothing rude, political unless ancient and wierd or Religious unless wierd.

Thxs in advance, guess I will start it off then

1- Napoleon Bonaparte was once attacked and defeated by a horde of domesticated rabbits, which were being used by humans to seek food. They swarmed Napoleon and formed ranks, and Napoleon was forced to retreat to his carriage for an escape.

2- In 1774, two London doctors formed an institution to treat drowning victims. Victims were treated by inserting an enema tube with rubber tubing attachments into their rectum and blowing smoke into it. ‘Smoke Enemas’ were provided by volunteer medical assistants called ‘Pipe Smoker London Medics.’  " so now we know:)

3- The demand for human teeth for dentures was so high in the early 1800s that after the battle of Waterloo, looters scavenged teeth from the dead soldiers on the battlefield. The teeth were stolen in such high numbers that sets of these dentures became known as "Waterloo Teeth."

4- Among the many animal cries used for the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park, the velociraptors were recordings of mating tortoises.

5- Some turtles can breathe through their butts. Up to 68% of the turtle Rheodytes leukops oxygen uptake is accomplished through the cloacal bursae, so it rarely needs to come to the surface to bask or breathe.

Edited by pokerplayer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 2

6- The Guinness World Record for highest fall without a parachute is held by Vesna Vulovic, a Serbian flight attendant who was the only survivor after a bomb went off on a commercial flight over Czechoslovakia in 1972. She fell 10,160 meters (33,330 feet) and recovered fully aside from a small limp.

7- Joseph Pujol was a professional farter and highest paid performer at the Moulin Rouge. For his grand finale, he would play “La Marseillaise” through his anus and then blow out candles from yards away. Corseted women in the audience were known to pass out from laughter.- :blink:

8- Concerned about the number of cobras in Delhi, British colonial officials created a bounty, only to discover secret cobra farms created to collect the bounty. When the officials shut down the program the farms released their snakes, meaning they had far more cobras than before they started.

9- On April 18, 1930, the BBC reported, "There is no news." Instead they played piano music.

10- . The bikini was invented in 1946 by a Frenchman named Louis Réard. At that time, USA was conducting Atomic Bomb tests in the Bikini Atoll, and so Louis Réard named his two-piece swimsuit the “Bikini” as it was what he referred to as an “Anatomic Bomb.”

Edited by pokerplayer
  • Haha 5
  • Upvote 1

11. Capybaras were one classified by the Catholic Church as "fish" and may be eaten during Lent.

12. The ZIP in zip code stands for Zone Improvement Plan.

13. Elvis never performed a single encore, so when he left, he wasn't coming back. Hence the phrase  'Elvis has left the building.'

14. The killer whale is the natural predator of moose. Killer whales attack moose as they swim from island to island in search of food.

Edited by nstoolman1
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 2

Thanks PP....Nice idea....Interesting  ( and much unknown ) stuff

7- Joseph Pujol was a professional farter and highest paid performer at the Moulin Rouge. For his grand finale, he would play “La Marseillaise” through his anus and then blow out candles from yards away. Corseted women in the audience were known to pass out from laughter.- :blink:

End Quote

I knew about this one as there is a movie done on this story  feat. Italian actor Ugo Tognazzi - RIP and title is exactly ( in Italian)  "The Farter" ( Il Petomane)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petomaniac

Edited by umbertino
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

There are castles and even lighthouses that are less expensive than NYC apartments.

NASA had to rename the sizes of the apparatus used for male astronauts to pee, from small, medium, and large, to large, gigantic, and humongous, because no one was willing to pick their true size.

The U.S. pizza industry serves up to 100 acres of pizza every day

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

15- Orcas and other marine mammals are given a plethora of drugs to deal with their captivity. These drugs include antacids (to treat ulcers from stress), antibiotics (for injuries and infections), antipsychotics, benzodiazepines (valium, again for stress), and contraceptives.

16- The logo of the popular Japanese rock band, Greeeen is a mouthful of teeth because the members are actual dentists in real life. They have never shown their faces in the public and their identities are still unknown to protect their dentistry careers.

17- Corgis are stallions to fairies according to Welsh folklore.

18- McDonald's Filet-O-Fish was created in 1962 for Catholics abstaining from meat on Fridays during Lent. According to McDonald's, a quarter of all its Filet-O-Fish sandwiches were sold during Lent of 2017.

19- Valentine's Day is the day that St. Valentine was beaten with clubs and tortured to death for performing secret marriages against the Emperor's wishes. The Emperor Claudius II banned all marriages because soldiers didn't want to leave their families to fight in wars.

20- All diplomas earned by graduates of Gallaudet, university for the deaf, are signed by the presiding President of the United States.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

21- Andy was a footless goose born in the 1980s who walked around in baby shoes. He rapidly became a huge star and appeared all over the media, before he was murdered in 1991. His death sparked a nation-wide outrage and a $10,000 reward for information about his killer, but the case was never solved.

22- In 2014, a man was fined $48,000 by the FCC for using a cell phone jammer every day on his commute because he didn't like motorists around him on their phones.

23- Venomous and poisonous are different. If you bite it and die, it is poisonous. If it bites you and you die, it is venomous.

24- The duck-billed platypus has a gene mix of birds, reptiles, and mammals and genetically has 25 possible sexes.

25- The word 'bald' in 'bald eagle' has nothing to do with the definition as a lack of hair. Rather, the term bald eagle is derived in English from the word 'piebald', in reference to their white heads and tail feathers in contrast to the darker color of the rest of their bodies.

26- During the 80 Years War, the Dutch defeated the invading Spanish by flooding their cities and farmlands. When winter arrived, Dutch soldiers used ice skates to quickly advance, fire muskets and retreat quickly to reload. The Spanish were then lured to, and fell through thin ice.

27- M&M stands for Mars and Murrie, the names of its founders.

28- The Lakota tribe has their own version of the Slenderman legend called “Walking Sam”, who wears a stovepipe hat and tries to make you commit suicide.

29- Olympic gold medals are actually made of silver. 1912 was the last Olympics to hand out solid gold medals. Today's gold medals are 92.5% silver.

30- In 1999, Coca Cola invented a vending machine that could adjust its prices based on the temperature, allowing it to hike up the price of a Coke on a hot summer day. Customers denounced the idea, while even Pepsi accused Coke of exploitation.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sage449 said:

There are castles and even lighthouses that are less expensive than NYC apartments.

NASA had to rename the sizes of the apparatus used for male astronauts to pee, from small, medium, and large, to large, gigantic, and humongous, because no one was willing to pick their true size.

The U.S. pizza industry serves up to 100 acres of pizza every day

Thanks Sage.......I admit I was surprised when already many years ago I was told that on average, Americans eat more pizza than Italians (on a yearly basis)

Edited by umbertino
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14. The killer whale is the natural predator of moose. Killer whales attack moose as they swim from island to island in search of food.

End Quote

Thanks nstoolman1....By the way...... Does anybody know what happened to our moose???? Haven't seen him in a while......Hope all is fine with him and his......

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, umbertino said:

I knew about this one as there is a movie done on this story  feat. Italian actor Ugo Tognazzi - RIP and title is exactly ( in Italian)  "The Farter" ( Il Petomane)

This adds a whole new dimension to "Blazing Saddles" where the governor is named "LePetomane."

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

31- Mattresses can have up to 900% markup (a $3000 mattress can cost as little as $300 to make).

32- A donut shop in Portland, Oregon named “Voodoo Donut” used to serve a donut drizzled in Nyquil and also had a shot of Nyquil in a cup in the center of the donut, until FDA stepped in and made them stop serving it.

33- When USSR premier Nikita Khrushchev visited IBM's Silicon Valley research facility in 1959 he showed indifference to computing technology, but he was so impressed by their buffet style cafeteria that he instructed factories across the Soviet Union to implement the self service dining concept.

34- In 2005, a cardboard box was added to the US National Toy Hall of Fame. According to them, “Inside a big cardboard box, a child is transported to a world of his or her own, one where anything is possible.”

35- In 1914, the Puerto Rican Congress voted unanimously for independence from the United States. The US Government ignored the vote.

36- Since the island of Bermuda does not have any fresh-water, all of the houses there have to collect water from rainfall with their specially designed roofs.

37- Cruise ships are required to carry body bags and maintain a small morgue in the event of a death onboard.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

38- One evening, while rushing for dinner after a long day at the lab, Constantin Fahlberg, a chemist at Johns Hopkins, forgot to wash his hands that had traces of benzoic sulfimide. This compound made his dinner taste sweet, and that’s how he discovered the artificial sweetener Saccharin.

39- In 2015, researchers testing the efficiency of mosquito repellents used Victoria’s Secret perfume because they thought the floral fragrance would attract mosquitoes. To their surprise, they found it repels mosquitoes better than a range of mosquito deterrents.

40- Lego used to bury its used molds in the concrete foundations of buildings to prevent them from being reused.

41- Mexico's official name is the United Mexican States.

42- Rice farmers often put fish into their water-laden fields in a process called “rice-fish culture.” The fish act as pest control, improve oxygen circulation, and can even fertilize the soil with their droppings. This can increase the crop yield by 10% or more.

43- Left-handed people's brains are so different from right-handed that they are often excluded from many psychological research studies.

44- Skilled archers can make shot arrows turn in mid-air, hitting targets behind obstacles.

45- Speed cameras in Germany take photos of drivers who sit in the left side of the vehicle, so a driver using a British car put a muppet in the passenger seat to hide their identity.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, pokerplayer said:

43- Left-handed people's brains are so different from right-handed that they are often excluded from many psychological research studies.

I guess I am a "special" case. 😮  I am a lefty, but only because as a baby I was sick, and it affected my right side. I write and eat  with my left hand, but most everything else I do right handed. Even when cooking, I stir things with my right hand. I throw a ball right handed. Guess I'm just an oddball. :D    

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Smokey Mtn. Dinar said:

I guess I am a "special" case. 😮  I am a lefty, but only because as a baby I was sick, and it affected my right side. I write and eat  with my left hand, but most everything else I do right handed. Even when cooking, I stir things with my right hand. I throw a ball right handed. Guess I'm just an oddball. :D    

I'm the same but I don't know about any illness.

Most things I can do ambidextrously but I MUST write and I prefer to use the computer mouse left-handed and I MUST throw objects and start IVs (paramedic, here) right- handed. There is a certain advantage being somewhat ambidextrous.

Glad to be an oddball.

Edited by 429
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

46- A crocodile named "Gustave" in Burundi's Rusizi river has allegedly killed as many as 300 people.

47- Popeye has four nephews called Pupeye, Pipeye, Peepeye and Poopeye.

48- It was technically legal to kill Mormons in Missouri until 1976.

49- Cows were used for radiation testing of early cell phones. Farmers were paid to have high-powered phones strapped to their cows head 24/7. A single engineer worked full time to chase the cows and change the batteries.

50- All navel oranges are genetic clones of a single mutated tree discovered by a missionary in Brazil in the 1800s.

51- The first tree at Rockefeller Center was erected by construction workers in 1931 during the Depression-era. Workers pooled their money to buy the tree and decorated it with tin cans and garland made by their families.

52- A blood donor will lose around 650 calories by donating 1 pint of blood. That 1 pint of blood could save up to 3 lives.

53- When Dolly Parton went to a Dolly Parton look-alike contest she lost to a man dressed like her.

54- The patent for toilet paper (1891) features an illustration that would imply the correct way the roll should be placed would be so the paper hangs over, and not under.

55- In 2015, a Montana State University Professor Gilbert Kalonde sued Wal Mart because they put his occupation as "Toilet Cleaner" on his fishing license.  :) ( now that's funny )

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

56- During the start of Operation Good Hope in 1994, United States military forces were supposed to land on the beaches of Mogadishu under the cover of darkness, to provide immediate relief for the refugees of the Rwandan genocide. Instead, they were met by CNN who was covering the landing live on television.

57- The term Peanut Gallery came from Vaudeville days when the audience in cheapest and rowdiest seats in the theater often ate peanuts and sometimes threw them at the performers.

58- 17th-century Italian biologist Francesco Redi found that tortoise's brains are so small and irrelevant that when he surgically removed them, they could continue to live for up to six months ( I know people like this ). When he entirely decapitated one, it still lived for 23 days.

59- Operation Flagship was a sting operation that sent out free Washington Redskins tickets to wanted fugitives and resulted in more than 100 arrests with Marshalls wearing Redskins and Chicken costumes.

60- Back in 1979, a cryonics company named Alcor Cryonics which promised to freeze and preserves your brain for later revival went bust, and all the bodies thawed out.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, pokerplayer said:

60- Back in 1979, a cryonics company named Alcor Cryonics which promised to freeze and preserves your brain for later revival went bust, and all the bodies thawed out.

Well, that would be a stinking situation. :D

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

61- A hot dog stand in the center of the Pentagon was rumored to be the target of a Soviet missile strike during the Cold War because the Soviets reportedly thought it was the Pentagon’s most top secret meeting room, and the entire Pentagon was a large fortress built around the hot dog stand.

62- In 2000, a man named Rick Norsigian looking for a barber chair at a garage sale purchased a two deteriorated boxes of items for $45. He later found the boxes contained 65 glass plate negatives from photographer Ansel Adams worth $200 million.

63- Eating asparagus can help prevent hangovers by protecting the liver against the toxic effects of alcohol

64- Willie Nelson's ex-wife (Martha Matthews) sewed him up in a sheet and beat him with a broomstick. His comment: "She was a very classy, ingenious, brilliant lady, and I was a problem at times."

65- Alexander Solonik was a Russian hitman who was known for using a pistol in each hand, killing over 30 Russian mafia bosses, and escaping from prison three times

66- When President Roosevelt visited The Pentagon in 1945 before its dedication he ordered them to remove the whites only signs and therefore making The Pentagon the only building in Virginia were segregation laws were not enforced until 1965.

67- Steve Wozniak went to a juvenile detention center for a day for building a fake bomb at the high school. he spent the night teaching prisoners how to disconnect wires from fans and connect them to the bars, so people get shocked when they touch them.

68- Russia has to bomb their rivers every winter to prevent dangerous flooding caused by ice dams.

69- Johnny Cash's family refused to allow "Ring of Fire" to be used in an advertisement for hemorrhoid-relief  :wacko:

70- Cincinnati Freedom was a cow that jumped a 6-foot fence at a slaughterhouse in Cincinnati, only to evade police officers for 11 days, making national news headlines, and eventually living out the rest of its life in NY.

• Upvote 3

48- It was technically legal to kill Mormons in Missouri until 1976.

End Quote

58- 17th-century Italian biologist Francesco Redi found that tortoise's brains are so small and irrelevant that when he surgically removed them, they could continue to live for up to six months ( I know people like this ). When he entirely decapitated one, it still lived for 23 days.

End Quote

Wow and wow........I'm particularly overwhelmed by these two....Couldn't even imagine stuff like that....Thanks PP

PS...Funny I met 2 Mormons from the States  just yesterday ( here in Trento as part of their mission abroad) and we talked relaxedly and nicely ( I was glad I could practice my English....) One was from Kansas and the other from Idaho....Well-mannered and good youngmen

Edited by umbertino
  • Thanks 2