Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Iraqi Parliament Prepares to Evict US Troops

bigwave

Iraqi Parliament Prepares to Evict US Troops

US military's presence in Iraq falling out of favor across several political blocs

Jason Ditz Posted onMarch 20, 2019CategoriesNewsTagsIraq, Pentagon

In the wake of the ISIS War in Iraq, Pentagon officials will tell you what they’ve been saying all along, that America’s intention is to stay in Iraq, and that there is no consideration being given to leaving. It’s not clear the US has spoken to the Iraqi government about this, however. 

While many Iraqis accepted the offer of help in the more desperate moments of the ISIS War, the US military has quickly worn out its welcome. Across a number of major political blocs in Iraq, there is growing consensus that the US, and indeed all foreign military forces, need to go.

This has been brewing for months. The Iraqis saw Trump’s visit to Iraq, during which he didn’t meet the Iraqi PM, as a sign of disrespect. That the Pentagon keeps insisting they’re staying in Iraq, without asking the Iraqis, only adds to the sense that the US isn’t really an invited guest in any real sense. 

Hawks are already trying to spin this, as with everything else that doesn’t go America’s way in Iraq, as Iran’s fault. Iraq’s political scene is dominated by Shi’ite parties, and US officials have plenty of practice pretending that Shi’ite is just a fancy word for “Iranian” these days. 

Yet this underpins one of the major reasons the US is on the outs with so much of the Iraqi parliament. US hostility toward Iran has meant practical hostility toward Iraqi Shi’ite militias who fought against ISIS and enjoy strong support from the Iraqi government. US ultimatums to disarm militias that are practically part of the Iraqi government have always come with the implied threat of the US leaving, when they never had any intention of doing so. 

And now, when hostility to the Shi’ite militias has turned parliament against them, US hawks are still trying to spin this as proof of an Iran problem, In reality, the US and Iran have been backing the same parties in Iraq since 2003, and US discomfort with that fact has been consistently undermining their goals. 

https://news.antiwar.com/2019/03/20/iraqi-parliament-prepares-to-evict-us-troops/

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ChuckFinley said:

They better hope the world doesn't find a replacement for oil or your looking at a giant sand box that no one will care about.

CF that is exactly right. When the oil runs out, Iraq will be in the rear view mirror. Sand buggy paradise. Right now they can't get out of their own way. Mahdi has done nothing to improve things, other than moving cement barriers in the Green Zone. US and allies should have demanded a long, long term solution before dropping one bomb on ISIS. Just a bunch of 18th century camel lovers.

;)

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 4

If the US leaves I will dump their currnecy and never look back...if parliment is that stupuid then so be it...like I said they want to be Iran's little b××th...and the Iranian militia will tear that country apart..they dont even have enough sense to form the Government and sign the HCL..Now I see why Sadaam treated the Shiite like he did. They are going to give the Country to Iran..those poor citizens..yes Maliki is behind this and Mahdi is doing his dirty work...and the US will never go back...this will be a tragedy!! Sadr you really really messed up when you didnt re elect Abadi trying to be loyal to your so called Shiite brothers in Iran and now they are gonna stab you in the back...damn fools...!!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Botzwana said:

I think this is Maliki´s spin paper at work again.

You could very likely be right about that. I’d  take this “report” with a grain of salt at best. 

Here’s a link to the mission statement of the website ...

https://www.antiwar.com/who.php

Edited by Half Crazy Runner
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Parliamentary source: Halabousi will go to Washington very soon to discuss two important issues

Parliamentary source: Halabousi will go to Washington very soon to discuss two important issues

03.21.2019 10:55

Parliamentary source - Halabousi will go to Washington very soon to discuss two important issuesBaghdad today – Baghdad

A source familiar with the presidency of the House of Representatives, Thursday 21 March 2019, close to the head of parliament Mohammed Halbusi to the United States of America, an official visit.

“The source said,” Baghdad today, “that” Halabousi will go during the next few days, before the end of this month to the United States of America, an official visit, and the head of a large parliament, “stressing that” the invitation came at the official invitation of the American side. ”

“The most important thing that Halabousi will discuss is the foreign presence in Iraq, as well as the request for international support for the reconstruction of the cities destroyed by the war against a terrorist organization,” the source said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

President Barham Salih on Thursday 21 March 2019, stressed that Iraq needs active assistance from Washington in the next phase, demanding the postponement of the withdrawal of US troops from his country.

“Iraq is still struggling to recover from the legacy of 40 years of war and internal strife,” Saleh said in an interview with the Washington Post. “One year has passed since Iraqi forces were able to recover all the land that was under state control , Yet a city like Mosul is still devastated. ”

I think there are some possibilities if we push the country to move in the right direction, but the legacy of the past remains, the problems are really huge. ”

The Iraqi president spoke at length about the need to fight the culture of corruption and the failure of the government to provide basic public services such as water and electricity and the challenge of preventing the return of the Dahesh organization.

Yet, the Iraqi president is already optimistic about his country’s future. “Every time I get out of the presidential palace in Baghdad, I see normal life returning more and more,” he says. “I think there’s a good chance we should stick to it for a long time. We have not lived in such an atmosphere, it is a precious opportunity, but it remains precarious. ”

“The country is suffering from chaos and endless war, trying to be democratic, citizens vote, leaders have to respond to those demands or they will not vote for them again, Iraqis are constantly down to the streets to protest against the deterioration of the situation.”

He says Saleh said that Iraq has an interest in the relationship with Iran , which shares with long borders porous, refusing to permit Trump that US forces in Iraq are present to monitor Iran ‘s activities , “asserting that” the American presence is to fight al – Daesh. ”

However, Saleh expressed his desire to “The vision of Americans is active in determining the fate of his country, through investment, education and development assistance,” saying that Iraq needs to postpone the date of withdrawal of troops, “the United States can help Iraq and we appreciate America’s assistance.”

baghdadtoday.news

Be the first to comment - What do you think?   Posted by admin - March 21, 2019 at 8:55 am

Categories: IRAQI DINAR POLITICS & ECONOMY  Tags:

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Part of the prophecy on this states," I will remove the hand of America out of the hand of Iran." I see this as a necessary step.  I also feel like the dinar will revalue when the dollar crashes.  I think the ball will start rolling shortly after the Mueller report is released.  take it or leave it but that how I feel this ride will end. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, GasCan said:

Part of the prophecy on this states," I will remove the hand of America out of the hand of Iran." I see this as a necessary step.  I also feel like the dinar will revalue when the dollar crashes.  I think the ball will start rolling shortly after the Mueller report is released.  take it or leave it but that how I feel this ride will end. 

Yeas,  I've long thought a dollar crash would coincide with a meteoric dinar rise.  Hopefully  we come out the other end with our finances a lot better for the ride. 

• Upvote 2