Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Why I believe our wait will be longer.

17 hours ago, Synopsis said:

:twothumbs: I Agree, NoviceInvestor, AND The Very Best Of Your Week To You!!! :tiphat:

I thought, OK, England found out, saw, whatever, the previous alliance with the European Union isn't working out for England AND, possibly, the OTHER EU participants. So, OK, England takes the necessary measures to segregate themselves from the EU. NOT as an enemy, JUST on the COMPLETE terms of the EU alliance so England is a FULLY AND SEPARATE Sovereign State on Brexit AND thereafter.

When the EU formed, I found it odd that England retained the Great Britain Pound without adopting the EURO. Maybe HERE is one of the reasons.

THEN Dr. Sinan Shabibi shows up in England.

WOWZERS!!!

WHAT is England doing???!!!

So, I (NOTE: I) HERE suspect England realizes the "dilution" of THEIR financial potency as a World Financial Hub within the EU alliance AND took the necessary step(s) to realize THEIR financial potency in the future.

In a sense, to me (NOTE: ME), the hand was shown regarding the REAL intent with flipping Iraq from the dictatorship of Saddam Hussein AND to fueling the Old Silk Road via the Belt AND Road Initiative when Dr. Sinan Shabibi showed up in England. Sit around, make a FEW suggestions, drink some Coffae', er, tea OR KICK THIS BABY IN GEAR!!!

I suspect Dr. Sinan Shabibi is THERE to KICK THIS BABY IN GEAR!!!

Iraq has IMMENSE natural resources FAR BEYOND black gold. THIS WILL power up Iraq AND Countries trading with Iraq. THEE kicker HERE is the DESPERATE NEED of FOREIGN INVESTMENT to provide ADEQUATE PROFIT SHARING for ALL Trade Partners. I suspect England is a NECESSARY AND/OR KEY Piece to ALL THIS!!!

So, WE wait  :rocking-chair: AND see for more :goodnews:.

Go Moola Nova!

:pirateship:

Shabibi is London’s gain ... Iraqs Loss ..

Edited by NoviceInvestor
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, blueskyline said:

Thanks LB . Your assessment sure looks correct . But at the same time Saleh saying  the citizens wont keep waiting for reforms and . Those Taxes and Tarrifs . They wont keep waiting either . We've never been here before . interesting times .

Exactly blue!

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Carrello said:

Thanks, Laid Back. 

You’re welcome Carrello, 😊

14 hours ago, Sage449 said:

Oh I hope not, no offense! I'm ready for this ride to be over with so life can move on and a different direction. 

Sage449, I’m ready for this ride to be over too. Thanks for your input.!

12 hours ago, Botzwana said:

INTERNATIONAL COMPANIES Are Entering Iraq WITHOUT AN INTERMEDIARY From The Arab Countries"...

Head of Investment Authority: U.S. international companies collaborate to enter Iraq

(Independent)... The Chairman of the National Investment Commission Sami Araji DISCLOSED the cooperation of American international companies to enter Iraq, specifically in four governorates, noting that this year will witness A GREAT OPENNESS and a clear RENAISSANCE IN THE COUNTRY.

"At the end of 2013 and early in 2014, the finest global American companies began cooperating with them to enter Iraq and through four governorates of Baghdad, Basra, Najaf and Karbala," Araji said in a speech at a consultative seminar titled "Iraq's Path towards economic development through excellence".

"We have come a long way with foreign companies and we have sent delegations to New York to negotiate with them, and THE NEGOTIATIONS HAVE BEEN CONCLUDED and we agreed to come to Baghdad to diagnose the place," he said, adding that "international companies are entering Iraq without an intermediary from the Arab countries."

"Since 2014, it has been assumed that global brands have been dealt with, but the entry of Isis into some provinces has changed the equation," he said, explaining that" this year will see a great opening and a clear renaissance in the country, as well the creation of jobs for many Iraqis."

Yeah I am sure we are YEARS away...

Botzwana,  this is good news. This will help to develop the private sector, to create jobs and diversify the economy.

Go 2019/2020👍🏼😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

On 3/10/2019 at 10:32 PM, Laid Back said:

Developing a country that has been destroyed by war, terrorism and corruption takes time.

"In the past I just to see an RV in almost every article that was posted, till I removed my RV rose colored glasses...

After that I took the time, hours of reading and research to educate myself about this investment to see it from

an objective point of view."

Amen.

giphy.gif

Edited by justchecking123
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Ministry of planning: Implemented and suspended projects throughout Iraq 🇮🇶 

%D9%88%D8%B2%D8%A7%D8%B1%D8%A9-%D8%A7%D9

Researcher Shatha Khalil *
The Ministry of Planning announced the projects according to the sectors and stages of implementation of both types of investment and development of regions in all of Iraq, indicating the total number of projects until the end of 2017, reaching (4682) projects, and the total cost of a total estimated at (232) trillion and (712) billion Iraqi dinars.
While the amount of funds allocated to them (24) trillion and (828) billion dinars, confirming that (3185) of these projects, either completed, or under implementation, or at the stage of settling accounts, and the remaining (1497) projects either ceased or drawn out of work or not carried out by any means, or a project without starting work in it , or in the stages of declaration, assignment, design and study.

As shown in Figure 1 & 2 below
11-%D8%AA%D8%B1%D8%AC%D9%85%D8%A9.jpg

%D8%AA%D8%B1%D8%AC%D9%85%D8%A9-22.jpg

The ministry’s tasks include developing a detailed framework and proposing strategic projects that require large capital and longer time periods for implementation in cooperation with the rest of the state agencies, studying human development needs to contribute to employment, working and social services for the population, preparing a strategy for alleviating poverty and unemployment, and prepare and propose plans and work programs that contribute to building institutional capacity and developing the human element which is the tool and the axis of achieving development and adopting international and local quality standards. The most important is to follow up evaluating the performance of investment projects implementation and raising the efficiency of implementation.

The Ministry of Planning said that “the projects referred to were distributed by (1684) projects within the investment  program  at a cost of (204) trillion and (446) billion dinars, while the amount of funds allocated to them (23) trillion and (797) billion Iraqi dinars ,pointing out that the investment projects are projects implemented by the federal ministries while the projects implemented by local governments within the program of development of the provinces noting that their number have reached (2998) projects at a cost of (28) trillions and (266) billion dinars, while their allocations amounted to one trillion and (30) billion dinars. ”
The Ministry added that (791) of the total projects have been completed, and there are (1893) projects in progress and (502) projects in the stage of the settlement of accounts, while the number of projects stopped (1210) projects, and there are (92) projects in which the executing companies were withdrawn and (98) projects have not been started at all, and (27) projects have not been implemented, and (50) projects in the process of advertising and referral, and 18 projects in the design phase, and ( 5 ) projects in the study phase “.

The share of the agricultural sector: Agriculture is the cornerstone for most of the economies of developing countries, especially Iraq as it has a large and important agricultural land, despite the oil wealth, but the importance of agriculture is still existed based on the fact that the oil wealth is not permanent, but is going to disappear sooner or later.
Of these projects, which belong to the agricultural sector, amounted to (198) projects at a cost of (12) trillion and (832) billion dinars, while the allocation amounted to (526) billion dinars, while the number of industrial sector projects (569) at cost (117) trillion and ( 514 ) billion dinar , it was allocated for it (18) trillion and (91) billion Iraqi dinar , and in the transport and communications sector, the total number of projects reached (862) projects at a cost of (23) trillion and (753) billion dinars with a financial allocation of (46) trillion , and (598) billion dinars.
As for the sector of buildings and services, which is one of the weakest sectors providing service to the citizens, housing and shelter suitable for the Iraqi citizen, noting that the poor economic management based on employment and consumption and export of oil and the absence of real productive sectors and inflation in the size of the armed forces and the security services and the public sector reduced the ability of the state to facing changes in the growth of youth employment opportunities or provision of services, in addition to the corruption that depleted the budgets of Iraq without achieving effective return in services or production or buildings, whether industrial or residential, which led to weak ability of the government to provide good services for the people.
Its share was (2069) projects at cost (7) trillion dinar , the allocation was (5) trillion and (314) billion dinar and in the education sector ,the number of projects amounted (983) at a cost of (8) trillions and (606) billion Iraqi dinars, and the allocation of (141) billion dinars.

• Thanks 4
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Laid Back said:

Ministry of planning: Implemented and suspended projects throughout Iraq 🇮🇶 

%D9%88%D8%B2%D8%A7%D8%B1%D8%A9-%D8%A7%D9

The Ministry of Planning announced the projects according to the sectors and stages of implementation of both types of investment and development of regions in all of Iraq, indicating the total number of projects until the end of 2017, reaching (4682) projects, and the total cost of a total estimated at (232) trillion and (712) billion Iraqi dinars.
While the amount of funds allocated to them (24) trillion and (828) billion dinars, confirming that (3185) of these projects, either completed, or under implementation, or at the stage of settling accounts, and the remaining (1497) projects either ceased or drawn out of work or not carried out by any means, or a project without starting work in it , or in the stages of declaration, assignment, design and study.

As shown in Figure 1 & 2 below
11-%D8%AA%D8%B1%D8%AC%D9%85%D8%A9.jpg

%D8%AA%D8%B1%D8%AC%D9%85%D8%A9-22.jpg

The ministry’s tasks include developing a detailed framework and proposing strategic projects that require large capital and longer time periods for implementation in cooperation with the rest of the state agencies, studying human development needs to contribute to employment, working and social services for the population, preparing a strategy for alleviating poverty and unemployment, and prepare and propose plans and work programs that contribute to building institutional capacity and developing the human element which is the tool and the axis of achieving development and adopting international and local quality standards. The most important is to follow up evaluating the performance of investment projects implementation and raising the efficiency of implementation.

The Ministry of Planning said that “the projects referred to were distributed by (1684) projects within the investment  program  at a cost of (204) trillion and (446) billion dinars, while the amount of funds allocated to them (23) trillion and (797) billion Iraqi dinars ,pointing out that the investment projects are projects implemented by the federal ministries while the projects implemented by local governments within the program of development of the provinces noting that their number have reached (2998) projects at a cost of (28) trillions and (266) billion dinars, while their allocations amounted to one trillion and (30) billion dinars. ”
The Ministry added that (791) of the total projects have been completed, and there are (1893) projects in progress and (502) projects in the stage of the settlement of accounts, while the number of projects stopped (1210) projects, and there are (92) projects in which the executing companies were withdrawn and (98) projects have not been started at all, and (27) projects have not been implemented, and (50) projects in the process of advertising and referral, and 18 projects in the design phase, and ( 5 ) projects in the study phase “.

The share of the agricultural sector: Agriculture is the cornerstone for most of the economies of developing countries, especially Iraq as it has a large and important agricultural land, despite the oil wealth, but the importance of agriculture is still existed based on the fact that the oil wealth is not permanent, but is going to disappear sooner or later.
Of these projects, which belong to the agricultural sector, amounted to (198) projects at a cost of (12) trillion and (832) billion dinars, while the allocation amounted to (526) billion dinars, while the number of industrial sector projects (569) at cost (117) trillion and ( 514 ) billion dinar , it was allocated for it (18) trillion and (91) billion Iraqi dinar , and in the transport and communications sector, the total number of projects reached (862) projects at a cost of (23) trillion and (753) billion dinars with a financial allocation of (46) trillion , and (598) billion dinars.
As for the sector of buildings and services, which is one of the weakest sectors providing service to the citizens, housing and shelter suitable for the Iraqi citizen, noting that the poor economic management based on employment and consumption and export of oil and the absence of real productive sectors and inflation in the size of the armed forces and the security services and the public sector reduced the ability of the state to facing changes in the growth of youth employment opportunities or provision of services, in addition to the corruption that depleted the budgets of Iraq without achieving effective return in services or production or buildings, whether industrial or residential, which led to weak ability of the government to provide good services for the people.
Its share was (2069) projects at cost (7) trillion dinar , the allocation was (5) trillion and (314) billion dinar and in the education sector ,the number of projects amounted (983) at a cost of (8) trillions and (606) billion Iraqi dinars, and the allocation of (141) billion dinars.

Does this article have a date?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

The first quarter of 2019 just ended and as we can see no RV.

I’m not trying to rain in your parade or been negative. I want the RV as much as you.

The reality is....It takes time to rebuild the economy of a country that was devastated

by war, terrorism and corruption.

Iraq needs an economy that can support a higher value of the IQD.

I don’t believe is just the HCL and Oil prices. Is more than that.

-Investment,

-infrastructure,

-basic services 

-development of private sector,

-diversification of the economy 

-others

The wait continues.

Go RV sooner than later.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

I got upset in 2012 when I truly thought it would go, now I’m not surprised by one thing that happens in Iraq.  It will happen when it’s supposed to happen. A lot of variables, all that you mentioned, plus others like the price of oil, and Iran controlled Iraqi politicians, and AUCTIONS!!!!!   We wait.  

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, Pitcher said:

I got upset in 2012 when I truly thought it would go, now I’m not surprised by one thing that happens in Iraq.  It will happen when it’s supposed to happen. A lot of variables, all that you mentioned, plus others like the price of oil, and Iran controlled Iraqi politicians, and AUCTIONS!!!!!   We wait.  

I agree my friend Pitcher,  A lot of Variables.

Go RV sooner than later.

Go $1:1

• Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Laid Back said:

The first quarter of 2019 just ended and as we can see no RV.

I’m not trying to rain in your parade or been negative. I want the RV as much as you.

The reality is....It takes time to rebuild the economy of a country that was devastated

by war, terrorism and corruption.

Iraq needs an economy that can support system" rel="">support a higher value of the IQD.

I don’t believe is just the HCL and Oil prices. Is more than that.

-Investment,

-infrastructure,

-basic services 

-development of private sector,

-diversification of the economy 

-others

The wait continues.

Go RV sooner than later.

Good evening Laid Back, you are correct in your analysis, although, oil is Iraq’s main source of income, for the moment it is in reality, the only source, even at 100usd p/b it will not commence an RV of the IQD. A war torn nation such as Iraq will have to establish an infrastructure capable of supporting other income generating scenarios. Once the countries census is complete, then the HCL can be implemented, with hundreds of thousands still without a roof over their heads, it makes it difficult to have intel to the head count of the country. I as well wish this to end yesterday, but, unfortunately Iraq has a way of dragging things through the weeds, and, their lack of initiative prevails. 

Yes, we still have a ways to go, but progress IS being made and we are seeing it daily. Have faith DV, the coin is still in the air on this baby, but all things aside, I still feel the risk reward ratio is viable.  🙏

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

21 hours ago, Wiljor said:

Good evening Laid Back, you are correct in your analysis, although, oil is Iraq’s main source of income, for the moment it is in reality, the only source, even at 100usd p/b it will not commence an RV of the IQD. A war torn nation such as Iraq will have to establish an infrastructure capable of supporting other income generating scenarios. Once the countries census is complete, then the HCL can be implemented, with hundreds of thousands still without a roof over their heads, it makes it difficult to have intel to the head count of the country. I as well wish this to end yesterday, but, unfortunately Iraq has a way of dragging things through the weeds, and, their lack of initiative prevails. 

Yes, we still have a ways to go, but progress IS being made and we are seeing it daily. Have faith DV, the coin is still in the air on this baby, but all things aside, I still feel the risk reward ratio is viable.  🙏

Thanks for your input my brother,

I agree with you, we still have a way to go and a lot of progress is been made.

We are closer than yesterday 👍🏼😊

20 hours ago, Botzwana said:

And I happen to believe almost none of that.  Did they have an HCL back when it was worth over 3 bucks decades ago?  Back in 1932 the dinar was valued at over 4 bucks.  Was the necessary infrastructure in place?  All banking systems were connected?  Heck they didnt even have computers back then.

So if were are too look at this logically, the posters above would be probably correct.  I feel that this is an illogical matter though.

Thanks for your input Botz,

Wow from to 2019 to 1932.

Maybe we have to go back to 1932 to get the 4 buck RV rate.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

In the country of oil “Iraq” Unemployment raises the poverty line to 22.5%

%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%81%D9%82%D8%B1-%D9%88%D8

The Iraqi economy suffers from many problems, ranging from unemployment, administrative and financial corruption, lack of industry, collapse of infrastructure, poor performance of the agricultural and commercial sector, weak law and worsening security problems after the US invasion of Iraq in 2003 and its consequences, as thousands of poor Iraqis found the former Iraqi army camps and government buildings a safe haven for them , they settled in these facilities, although this exceeded the property of the state.
Where the phenomenon of poverty has clearly become a major problem facing the economic development process, after reaching more than 40% of the population. This increase is due to the high unemployment rates, the continued security challenge, the stagnation of economic activity, and there is no clear improvement in per capita income levels and the rise in inflation, especially the rise in prices, has led to a reduction in the real income level despite continuing increases in cash incomes. This has provided ample room for the recruitment of many slum dwellers into criminal acts or their involvement in the outlaw armed militias , in addition to causing high rates of theft, kidnapping and other manifestations that have distorted the image of the social scene in Iraq.
A large proportion of the population of Iraq suffers from poverty, which has become a threat to the cohesion and stability of society, in the absence of clear national economic policies that would reduce the consequences of that poverty, which is chasing families that do not have a decent life opportunity in the oil country and Mesopotamia.
The Ministry of Planning issued a report in 2018 that showed that poverty rates in the cities occupied by the organization “ISIS ” to reach 41%, after not earlier than 20%, and pointed out that the poverty rate in the provinces of southern Iraq amounted to 31.5%, and the central governorates 17%, in Baghdad 13%, while in the Kurdistan region of Iraq to reach 12.5%, after it was only 3% before 2014.
In February 2017, the Higher Committee for Poverty Alleviation in Iraq launched its Poverty Reduction Strategy, and the Ministry of Planning indicated that it had a database based on a social survey of needy families.
The World Bank warned in May of the fragility of the economic situation in Iraq for 2018, pointing out that the national poverty line reached 22.5%, and labor market statistics show further deterioration, and the contribution of young people between 15 and 24 years, a marked decline in support of the economy, as well as the high rate of unemployment rate of twice in the provinces affected by the violence of the organization, “Daash,” especially the provinces of northern Iraq and the West, such as Nineveh, Salah al-Din and Anbar, which experienced large waves of displacement after 2014.
Poverty is not concentrated in a particular place, but its manifestations spread throughout Baghdad and the Iraqi provinces noting that many schoolchildren have been forced to leave school and go to sidewalks and squares in search of a living noting that dozens of young people gather and rush to clean cars parked at traffic lights for 500 dinars (less than half a dollar).
The unemployment crisis has been exacerbated by the continued deterioration of industrial, agricultural and service production, the failure to take the right economic measures, the rehabilitation of the main industries, especially the electricity and drinking water production capacities, and the provision of public services. With the accumulation of these mistakes and failures, more than half of Iraqi youth are unemployed, while the participation of women in the labor force is only 19%, and this unemployment is mostly structural unemployment resulting from the interruption of the main production sectors, especially the sectors of agriculture, manufacturing and most service activities. According to statistics of the Central Statistical Organization, the unemployment rate among young people aged 15-29 years was 22.6%, higher than the national average of 74%, which means that the unemployment rate among males for this category reached 18.1%, while the unemployment rate among females was 56.3% and the rate of participation of youth in the labor force is 36.1%, the percentage of active working males is 61.6% compared to 8.8% for young females. This is in support of the International Monetary Fund’s announcement in May 2018 that the youth unemployment rate in Iraq is more than 40%.

Unemployment is one of the reasons for the high level of poverty in Iraq. The monopoly of government institutions by their directors and their relatives who are belonging to the political parties led to the lack of job opportunities for those who are willing and able to work. According to reports, poverty rates have risen to 10 million, and the displacement of a bout 3.5 million citizen, the mismanagement of the government and lack of professionalism and waste of its members of public funds and stealing allocations of Iraqi people, this means that Iraq’s economic system will continue to falter, even with the rise in oil prices, unless a real strategy is put in place to promote the bad economic reality by the eradication of corruption first.
Investment in Iraq faces major challenges as it ranks late in attracting investments with 168 out of 190 of World Bank indicators for countries that provide an investment-friendly environment.
The Law on the Protection of Employment in the Private Sector is still awaiting review, including that the banking sector fears dealing with young entrepreneurs.
The member of the House of Representatives, “Hassan Fedad” said that unemployment rate increased to 70% in the Babil Province, pointing out that the former federal governments and the current did not move a finger in addressing unemployment and employment of the unemployed.
Babil province is considered a tourist and industrial province with excellence, but there is no government interest to activate these sectors and develop them through investment.
The Prime Minister, “Adel Abdul Mahdi, called on ” to diversify the resources of the national economy by activating the private sector of agriculture, industry and tourism for the employment of the unemployed, and adopt appropriate and effective strategies for the state of the Iraqi economy and key sectors, while providing the appropriate environment, so it is required to adopt proper tasks and goals for Iraqi economic policy , foremost of which is the development of priorities of investment and necessary infrastructure according to realistic data, in addition to determining the position of the market mechanism and the process of financing and accurate real view of the role and functions of private sectors, as well as to diversify the Iraqi economy in order to ease the unilateral oil sector, and increase the contribution of industry, agriculture and tourism sectors and the strategy of the dry channel to activate trade and transit through the territory of Iraq, in addition to the investment of human resources properly through the development of plans and draw a sober economic policy.
In order to achieve these objectives, it is necessary to develop mechanisms and ways to correct the current course through the adoption of a development strategy that ensures access to efficiency in the use of oil revenues, and how to get benefit from them by directing towards financing investment in direct productive capital and investment in social capital to achieve the objective of productive diversification on the one hand, and to create an appropriate investment climate that is conducive to attracting foreign direct investment and enhancing the competitiveness between the public and private sectors on the basis of considerations of productive efficiency and subject to market power on the other hand .

Economists emphasize that one of the most important economic challenges facing Iraq throughout that period are:
– The total dependence on oil, which is uncertain that it will continue to provide the revenues we have inherited in the past years, that the future of oil is unstable and technological and geological developments and economic strategic studies indicate that oil will decline as an energy source, especially if we know that alternative energy in cars and transportation has begun to escalate to be transferred into electric power, and renewable energy sources are starting to appear very much. Oil prices may fall over the next five years to very low levels below $ 30 per barrel, which is a disaster for the Iraqi economy because they do not basically fill up their production costs.

-As the Iraqi economy relies on 95% of the budget for oil, and 50% of the GDP is directly and indirectly affected by the oil sector, the collapse of oil prices will be the major disaster for the Iraqi economy and the impact on individual and national income.

– The economy’s Rentier and its high exposure to the outside world, as a natural consequence of the low contribution of the commodity sectors (excluding oil) to the creation of GDP, which reached very low levels, which explains Iraq’s need for imports to meet rising domestic demand following the increase in operational expenditures in the public budget. An indication of this fact is the high import content of the commodity supply component in the Iraqi market compared to local content. The specific role of the private sector is in the development process in terms of low contribution to economic activity and creation of work opportunity, and to cover the increase in domestic demand and investment financing, making it slow to respond to targeted changes in economic plans unless an appropriate and attractive business environment is created to enable it to be a competitive and interactive sector.
Here, we reach the conclusion that poverty and unemployment can not be eliminated unless the ideas and powers of the country unite to improve all agricultural, industrial and commercial sectors, and not rely on oil, because oil prices fluctuate and can not build economies of a solid state, on price variables as the oil prices are not in the hands of the Iraqi government, but determined by global markets that are not subject to specific factors , sometimes are political and some other times are strategic and others economic, and in the case of economic development ,it must rely on other alternatives that the government can control, and increase these revenues to meet the deficit the public budget .
And those alternatives to the advancement of economic reality are clear and existing, but there must be an appropriate ground so that the government can promote these alternatives that it owns and has not invested so far to be a substitute for oil revenues.

Translated by : mudhaffar al-kusairi

Economic Studies Unit
Rawabet Center for Research and Strategic Studies

http://rawabetcenter.com/en/?p=7030

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Basra is in the orbit of corruption of parties and militias And claims for its own region.

This is iraq reality.!

%D8%A7%D9%82%D9%84%D9%8A%D9%85-%D8%A7%D9

Basra is the third largest city in the Republic of Iraq, the economic capital of Iraq, and its main port and its sole maritime outlet. It stores about two-thirds of Iraq’s oil reserves and embraces giant oil fields, as well as natural gas fields, and represents the main source for the production and export Iraqi oil.
Basra is located in the southernmost part of Iraq on the West Bank of Shatt al-Arab. It has a population of 2,796,000 and an area of 19,070 km2. It is the administrative and political center of Basra Governorate. It is characterized by the largest size of the oil and gas wealth it owns, and the headquarters of the south oil company is located in it. It exports its main production from Basra Petroleum station.
Basra is an economic capital:
Oil is the main source of the Iraqi economy, and Iraq has the fourth largest oil reserves in the world, which is estimated at 115 billion barrels, and Basra contains the largest oil wealth in Iraq, as statistics indicate that it owns 15 fields out of known 77 fields, including 10 productive fields are still waiting development, and these fields contain an oil reserve of more than 65 billion barrels, accounting for 59% of the total Iraqi oil reserves.
It may surprise many people in the oil-rich city of Basra that it is suffering from poverty, unemployment and lack of services. The streets are filled with garbage and sewage, and entire neighborhoods live without water or electricity.
Street of Basra is boiling, and the people of the province of Basra believes that the separation or the region is the solution, where it renewed its movement to form a special federal region, after a wave of objections and complaints about the share of the budget of 2019, which counted an “unfair” share, stressing that movement will be very wide this time after being mixed with political and popular support.
In the past, Basra has called for the formation of a special region in protest against the policy of marginalization and neglect of the province. However, its previous attempts have not succeeded despite its legality. Governments have managed to delay them, while people of Basra expect the situation to differ with the new government headed by Adel Abdul Mahdi.
A member of the coalition of “al-Bina” in the province, Majid al-Mayahi pointed out, that “Basra, which is the economic lung of Iraq, has been marginalized from successive governments, especially the current government,” stressing that we “can not accept the share of the province of the new budget as it is no more than operative budget and projects can not be completed through it. ”
He pointed out that “the local government began to organize the official request to be submitted to the responsible authorities to take legal steps to form the region of Basra.”
The movement towards the formation of the region of Basra is wider compared to the previous claims, after support from within the province.
Corruption of the administration, parties and militias are the cause of the destruction of Basra.
Basra , rich in resources and wealth and its important geographical location , if Basra ere run in a national spirit , it would be the richest in the world , but the dominant corruption represented by parties , militias and gangs stole the wealth of the province, however , the region does not change anything according to my research information, only adds more corruption and competitive fighting for wealth and more of the division between the Iraqi provinces at best if it turned into civil war, in order to share wealth by force.
Oil in the province of Basra is the main source of the Iraqi budget, accounting for 80% of Iraqi oil.
What is happening in Basra is the accumulation of corruption in all joints of the province, which resulted in lack of services and also the spread of administrative and financial corruption, which led to the transformation of the city of Basra to a disaster city.

In international law, the disaster city is the ones that is affected by the lack of water, electricity, health and education. As a result, Basra has become a disaster city by all international standards. These requirements are provided in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and in all constitutions of the world, including the Iraqi constitution.
The water crisis has infected thousands of people with epidemics, especially cholera and serious renal diseases, which began to exterminate people in full, so the demonstrations turned into sit-ins and strikes in the whole province.
This is the text of the article of the Constitution, which was established by the occupation authority headed by Paul Bremer to break up the unity of Iraq and open the gates of corruption that have been initiated within the law, dealing with the land of Iraq as if there are no common social, material, cultural, political or economic links, and the articles for the region are as the following :
Article 119
Each governorate or more may form a region upon request by referendum, submitted in one of two ways:
First: – Requested by one-third of the members of each of the provincial councils that intend to form the region .
Second: A request from tenth of voters in each of the provinces that intend to form the territory.

Article (120):
The region shall establish a Constitution for itself, which shall define the structure of the powers of the region, its powers and the mechanisms for the exercise of those powers, provided that they do not conflict with this Constitution.

Article (121)
first: The authorities of the regions shall have the right to exercise the legislative, executive and judicial powers in accordance with the provisions of this Constitution, except in the exclusive competence of the federal authorities.
Second: The authority of the region shall have the right to amend the application of the federal law in the region in the event of a contradiction or conflict between the federal law and the law of the region concerning a matter not falling under the exclusive jurisdiction of the federal authorities.
Third: The provinces and regions shall be allocated a fair share of the revenues collected federally enough to carry out their duties and responsibilities, taking into account their resources and needs and the proportion of the population therein.
Fourth: Establish offices for the regions and governorates in embassies and diplomatic missions to follow up the cultural, social and developmental affairs.
Fifth: The Government of the region shall be competent in all matters required by the administration of the region , in particular the establishment and organization of the internal security forces of the region , such as police, security and the region guards.
And the deteriorating conditions of services and others are turned into the claims of the people of Basra and began legal moves with other provinces to challenge their share in the budget in 2019, in addition to popular movement towards the formation of the region.
Elimination of financial and administrative corruption is the solution, not the region under the current situation.
The state must eradicate the cancer of administrative and financial corruption in all governorates of Iraq, especially Basra, the economic capital of Iraq because it is under the pressure and greed of the corrupt, by intensifying all efforts, whether governmental or non-governmental, to detect the corrupt and bring them to justice, whether they are parties or militias or gangs.
In the same context, the leader of the Sadrist movement in Iraq, Mr. Moqtada al-Sadr warned from the dangers of the formation of regions in the country, and said, “Regions are the will of the oppressed people who wants to end the suffering, but it is not a solution, and it will be easier for the officials of the regions to steal you and will go further in the process of corruption and injustice, and the greedy people will control us and you from the inside and outside , and will enjoy your wealth more and weaken you and makes easier for them to your control ”
He added, “O people of Iraq, keep your Iraq unified , land and people, this is my advice to you and the matter first and foremost to the people.”
The researchers see finding some solutions and remedies necessary to eliminate corruption and its occupiers and influential, even if Basra became a region, the suffering will not end, but the poor will become poorer, and the thief will become greedier.
The elimination of corruption is the best and most optimal and difficult solution in light of the spread of the phenomenon, to produce positive results contribute to the progress of society and thus accelerate the process of development in various aspects, and one of the most important strategies required to address administrative and financial corruption, which leads to reducing them, the demand was divided into two sections, the first dealing with political and legal remedies, and the second with economic dealings .
Section I: Political and legal remedies for corruption in the country:
• Mobilize appropriate policies to eradicate political and administrative corruption as a devastating phenomenon of economic and political development.
• Punishments for the perpetrators of corruption from public and private sector employees, and tightening the application of the provisions of the law against violators of public order.
• The application of the law to everyone, whether a senior official in the Iraqi government or parliament, in respect of inspections and control on financial operations by the Integrity Commission, and not to allow any political party or a particular minister to intervene in favor of those found to be manipulated or wasted for public money .
• Job rotation for government officials, because the long stay of the administrative officer at the same site causes widespread corruption, especially in the main joints of the public administration, such as customs, directorates of finance, procurement, real estate interests and public institutions and companies.
• Closing the gap between formal and informal administrative procedures, which makes the rule an exception, and the exception rule, and the wider the gap , the wider the corruption and vice versa.
• Updating laws, verifying the accuracy of administrative decisions and developing accountability system to improve government services and reduce corruption practices.
• Activating the role of the supervisory bodies in all departments, developing the leadership and administrative capacities of the government, intensifying its activities and empowering it with wide powers to account for the weak and the negligent, and prosecuting the perpetrators of corruption.
•Enact legislation requiring employees to observe the ethics and requirements of the public service.
• Activate the Integrity Commission with the expertise and specialties required to perform its work and make it fully independent in dealing with financial corruption and providing protection to it.
• The use of modern technology in surveillance, such as cameras and recordings, and the adoption of one window in going to the state departments and reduce communication as much as possible with staff.
Second: Economic Remedies for Corruption:
Raising the level of wages and salaries of employees in the state, and if the level of income goes at the same level over a number of years, the public departments will lose their qualified and trained personnel to the private sector, and the incompetent staff will remain in the public administration , leading to a decline in productivity and the establishment of routine and corruption.
• Preparation of feasibility study for new projects, preference between projects and integration of projects to maximize the use of services to all segments of society.
• Accelerate the provision of the right environment for investment in terms of laws, reconstruction of infrastructure and provision of basic services to Iraq.
• Spread the culture of integrity and fight corruption through schools, universities and even kindergartens to establish the principles of loyalty and honesty in everything, and to indicate the immediate and future negative effects of corruption and the best use of the appropriate teaching method for an integrated approach to spread the culture of integrity because of its effective impact in reducing this scourge.
• Develop a security strategy from the government to control the security situation and reduce security expenses for the reconstruction of the country and the establishment of a capable security apparatus and get rid of the control of sectarian militias.

Finally, states should establish a clear vision of the government in light of national and religious pluralism and political views in the management of state institutions, and give up nepotism by giving projects through the establishment of effective administrative and legal procedures and policies and obligating executing agencies to abide by standards and specifications and accounting violators .

Economic Studies Unit
Rawabet Center for Research and Strategic Studies

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Embezzlement and tax evasion of forms of corruption in Iraq

%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%81%D8%B3%D8%A7%D8%AF-%D9

BAGHDAD (Reuters) – April 24/19 The Iraqi Integrity Commission announced in a statement Monday that  $ 60 million had been lost nearly  from the Nineveh province budget, stolen by officials close to the governor, Nawfal al-Akoub, before he was dismissed from his post after the sinking of the ” ferry of death ” in Mosul.
On April 11, the Commission announced the arrest of 14 officials and staff of the Nineveh governorate office, on charges of embezzlement and waste of state funds.
The Commission on Integrity revealed in its statement yesterday that officials close to the al- Akoub have acquired more than 76 billion Iraqi dinars (about 64 million dollars) “in the form of instruments or deposits in personal accounts in the form of cash.
“Of the original amount, about 45 billion Iraqi dinars (about $ 37 million) are from the province’s 2018 development funds,” said an official of the commission, who asked not to be identified.

In the context, member of the Parliamentary Integrity Commission , Deputy Kazem al-Shammari announced , that the Integrity Commission will begin to investigate files of corruption and tax evasion related to the Chinese company operating Ahdab oil field (180 km southeast of Baghdad), owed to the Iraqi Government of $ 180 million .

He explained in a statement: «We have documents to prove the process of corruption and tax evasion in the contract development of the Ahdab oil field , which is located in Wasit province, where the Chinese Waha Company and in cooperation with some influential in the Ministry of Oil and the General Authority for Taxation refrains from paying the financial dues it had .
He added: «The Inspector General of the Ministry of Oil, was provided with all the documents to start an urgent investigation of this file, which includes financial and administrative corruption and waste of public money».

On this basis, the Office of the Inspector General of the Ministry of Oil Hamdan Darraji announced, the adoption of a comprehensive strategy to fight corruption, stressing that it can stop overflow of public money and waste.

“The Office of the Inspector General of the Ministry of Oil has achieved many achievements at the level of planning and follow-up to address the corruption and irregularities that have been developed to face a comprehensive strategy and directly from the Inspector General.”
He added: “Perhaps one of the most outstanding achievements of the Office of the Inspector General of the Ministry of Oil for the first semester of 2019, was to stop overflow of public money and waste, and the total fines obtained from the violations of distribution outlets by the Office for the first semester of 2019 for the western and southern regions only, Slightly more than (1887658000) dollars ».

The Office explained that «the total amounts recommended for recovery by the Office in the southern region for the first term of 2019 from the South Oil Company, more than (3.5) million dollars, in addition to the amounts recommended for recovery amounted to (43) million dinars (35 thousand dollars) Almost, for irregularities in the distribution outlets of oil products in the southern region ».
He pointed out that «the total fines as a result of irregularities to distribution outlets for private stations and generators that were seized by the Division of the hotline for the province of Baghdad only amounted to more than (97) million dinars, about (80 thousand dollars) ».

The sinking of the ferry opened the files of corruption that were ravaging the devastated city after the war against the organization «ISIS », which was allocated a budget of $ (800) million dollars, but in spite of that, corruption remains prevalent in the country that occupies the rank of (12) on the list of the most corrupt countries in the world, and although the incident of the Ferry has brought back the issue of corruption of politicians to light again, none of them has not been brought to justice so far.

Iraq has suffered years of corruption spread in its institutions, and this corruption has caused during the past 15 years a loss of (228) billion dollars, went into the pockets of politicians and corrupt entrepreneurs, according to the Iraqi Council of Representatives, and this amount today is twice of the budget and more than the Country’s GDP.
Iraq’s war against corruption is more serious than the battle of terrorism. Corruption has major negative implications for Iraq’s development, including foreign investors to face heavy pressure on their businesses in the country , and that the link of corruption with Iraq has remained the focus of International institutions before the local and regional ones .

In 2017, Iraq ranked 169 out of 180 countries on Transparency International’s corruption index.
The Corruption Perception Index classifies countries and territories on the basis of the extent of corruption in their public sector.
Iraq reached the highest level of corruption in 2007, ranking (178), while recorded the lowest level in 2003, ranking (113).

Iraqi Studies Unit
Rawabet Center for Links and Strategic Studies

• Upvote 2

Of all the different issues over the years, HCL, Art 140, art 8 compliance, isis, Iran, etc.. The issue I didn’t pay enough attention to is corruption. How ridiculous is it of us to believe that the Iraqi parliament, whom all are corrupt, would pass laws to punish and stop the corruption. No wonder they haven’t passed any laws. Things have ground to a halt. I honestly can’t even imagine what could break this log jam. Who would pass a law that would put yourself in jail. Politicians, mafias, religious figures. They are all guilty of having their fingers in the cookie jar.

all the news outside of the government is looking great but we still need laws passed.

i am not being overtly negative just seeing things as they are. Jan of 2020 if we are lucky.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 6

18 hours ago, Woldopep said:

Of all the different issues over the years, HCL, Art 140, art 8 compliance, isis, Iran, etc.. The issue I didn’t pay enough attention to is corruption. How ridiculous is it of us to believe that the Iraqi parliament, whom all are corrupt, would pass laws to punish and stop the corruption. No wonder they haven’t passed any laws. Things have ground to a halt. I honestly can’t even imagine what could break this log jam. Who would pass a law that would put yourself in jail. Politicians, mafias, religious figures. They are all guilty of having their fingers in the cookie jar.

all the news outside of the government is looking great but we still need laws passed.

i am not being overtly negative just seeing things as they are. Jan of 2020 if we are lucky.

Thanks for your input Woldopep,

I agree with your comment. Financial  and administrative corruption in state institutions is out of control.

The ruling class is the problem in Iraq 

Like you said.... Jan of 2020 if we are lucky 

Go RV sooner than later 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Laid Back said:

Thanks for your input Woldopep,

I agree with your comment. Financial  and administrative corruption in state institutions is out of control.

The ruling class is the problem in Iraq 

Like you said.... Jan of 2020 if we are lucky 

Go RV sooner than later 

I understand all the listed points on these various lists of the things that still need to be addressed and they are all valid. On the other hand I see them like projects that need to be done around the house. There is always something that needs to be done. It never ends. Because of this I'm thinking there could be an RV before all of the list has been addressed plus I don't think Iraq can continue to put this off. JMHO and wishful thinking.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 5

10 hours ago, Rugbylaird19 said:

I understand all the listed points on these various lists of the things that still need to be addressed and they are all valid. On the other hand I see them like projects that need to be done around the house. There is always something that needs to be done. It never ends. Because of this I'm thinking there could be an RV before all of the list has been addressed plus I don't think Iraq can continue to put this off. JMHO and wishful thinking.

Rugbylaird19, thanks for your input.

It could be possible. A good window of opportunity last quarter 2019 First quarter 2020.

Go RV sooner than later 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1