Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

8 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

Cohen lawyer sends letter to Congress clarifying pardon talk

f7f4c7f0-0259-11e9-bfeb-842a32a6c67d  MICHAEL R. SISAK  Associated PressMarch 13, 2019

FILE - In this March 6, 2019 file photo, Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump's former lawyer, speaks as he departs after testifying before a closed-door session of the House Intelligence Committee on Capitol Hill,  in Washington.  Cohen sues the Trump Organization, on Thursday, March 7, saying he is owed $1.9 million.(AP Photo/Alex Brandon, File)
FILE - In this March 6, 2019 file photo, Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump's former lawyer, speaks as he departs after testifying before a closed-door session of the House Intelligence Committee on Capitol Hill, in Washington. Cohen sues the Trump Organization, on Thursday, March 7, saying he is owed $1.9 million.(AP Photo/Alex Brandon, File)

NEW YORK (AP) — Amid talk that former Trump lawyer Michael Cohen again lied to Congress, Cohen's lawyer sent a letter Tuesday to the head of the House Oversight Committee clarifying Cohen's testimony that he never sought a pardon from the president.

Michael Monico told Rep. Elijah Cummings, D-Md., in the letter that Cohen, once President Donald Trump's personal attorney, had asked his lawyer to explore the possibility of a pardon before Cohen left a joint-defense agreement and turned against Trump last June. Cohen hasn't done so since, Monico said.

Monico denied Trump's claim, in a tweet last week, that Cohen had personally asked him for a pardon.

Cohen's public committee testimony last month "could have been clearer and more complete" when it came to pardons, Monico wrote in the letter obtained by The Associated Press. Cohen's remarks about not seeking a pardon pertained to the time after his split from Trump, Monico said.

"In retrospect, while the sentence could have been clearer regarding the time frames, the sentence is true, and Mr. Cohen stands by his statement," Monico wrote.

Cummings' office didn't immediately respond to messages.

Congressional investigators appeared to be zeroing in on the president's pardon power as Democrats embark on a series of sweeping investigations into Trump's political and personal dealings.

Cohen declared under oath on Feb. 27 that "I have never asked for, nor would I accept, a pardon from President Trump."

That statement, with millions of people watching on television, set off a firestorm that culminated on Friday with Trump's tweet calling Cohen a liar and alleging he had "directly asked" for a pardon.

Before that, Cohen's lawyer and spokesman, Lanny Davis, and Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani went back and forth in dueling interviews, trading their own versions of events.

"Bad lawyer and fraudster Michael Cohen said under sworn testimony that he never asked for a Pardon," Trump tweeted. "His lawyers totally contradicted him. He lied! Additionally, he directly asked me for a pardon. I said NO. He lied again!"

Cohen, who is slated to begin a three-year prison sentence in May, denied that in a tweet of his own minutes later. He called Trump's allegations "just another set of lies."

Monico reiterated that denial in his letter to Cummings, saying Cohen never asked Trump for a pardon and that Trump never offered one.

Monico said Cohen had asked his previous lawyer to ask about a possible pardon after an FBI raid on his New York City home, office and hotel room in April 2018 because Trump had "publicly dangled the possibility of pardons when commenting about ongoing investigations."

"With that in mind, as a past member of the joint defense team, Mr. Cohen asked his then attorney to discuss with another Trump attorney possible pardon options consistent with the President's prior public declarations," Monico said.

Nothing ever came of that effort, he said.

Giuliani said last Thursday he was contacted in May or June about a possible pardon for Cohen. He said his answer was that the president "is not going to consider or give any pardons now."

"As I have said in the past, the president has the right to, and that doesn't mean he won't consider it when the investigation is over," Giuliani said. "But there are no plans to do so."

As controversy grew over Cohen's pardon remarks, his legal team stressed that he was one of Trump's closest confidants and if he wanted a pardon, he would have just asked Trump himself.

There is nothing inherently improper about a subject in a criminal investigation seeking a pardon from a president given the president's wide latitude in granting them. But investigators want to know if the prospects of presidential pardons were somehow offered or used inappropriately.

Congressional investigators are also looking into whether anyone on Trump's legal team tried quietly to reach out to Cohen last year before he turned on the president and as his legal problems mounted.

The House Judiciary Committee, which is conducting a probe into possible obstruction of justice, corruption and abuse of power, sent letters to the FBI, the Justice Department and others for documents related to possible pardons for Cohen, former national security adviser Michael Flynn and former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort.

All three have been charged in special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into possible coordination between Russia and Trump's presidential campaign.

https://news.yahoo.com/cohen-lawyer-sends-letter-congress-clarifying-pardon-talk-040529905--politics.html?.tsrc=jtc_news_index

GO RV, then BV

Good CYA move..........I really believe the left hung Cohen out to dry......same as Blassey Ford and even Stormy Daniels.......main goal....get Trump at all costs........all the rest is just collaterial damage........same with all those unrelated.....and yes illegal......activities that have been prosecuted by the Mueller event....JMO      CL

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, coorslite21 said:

Good CYA move..........I really believe the left hung Cohen out to dry......same as Blassey Ford and even Stormy Daniels.......main goal....get Trump at all costs........all the rest is just collaterial damage........same with all those unrelated.....and yes illegal......activities that have been prosecuted by the Mueller event....JMO      CL

Perhaps, CL....The public Cohen hearing did jump start the investigation into Trump's finances though.....and put Trump's family and business squarely in the spotlight, as well as Mr Weiselberg (sp)....I suppose that could be considered collateral damage.....I imagine as long as it doesn't touch Donald directly he doesn't much care.....he's happiest when he's promoting himself as an unfairly treated champion of the masses anyway.  It's worked for him his whole life, now is no time for him to change, even if he had a clue how.

GO RV, then BV

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

On 2/27/2019 at 4:24 PM, Shabibilicious said:
Politics

Michael Cohen: Trump sent letters to his schools threatening them not to release his test scores

The Independent Tom Embury-Dennis,The Independent 4 hours ago 

Mr Cohen, the US president’s former lawyer and personal fixer, will tell the House oversight and reform committee on Wednesday how his then client directed him to send letters warning Mr Trump’s schools against releasing his grades.

The revelation is part of a larger picture Mr Cohen plans to sketch of Mr Trump as “a racist, a conman, and a cheat” who, he will claim, knew his campaign was communicating with WikiLeaks in order to damage his 2016 presidential rival Hillarious Clinton.

“When I say conman, I’m talking about a man who declares himself brilliant but directed me to threaten his high school, his colleges, and the College Board to never release his grades or SAT scores,” Mr Cohen will say, according to a transcript first obtained by the New York Times.

“As I mentioned, I’m giving the committee today copies of a letter I sent at Mr Trump’s direction threatening these schools with civil and criminal actions if Mr Trump’s grades or SAT scores were ever disclosed without his permission.”

He will continue: “The irony wasn’t lost on me at the time that Mr Trump in 2011 had strongly criticized President Obama for not releasing his grades.”

Mr Trump branded Barack Obama a “terrible student” in an interview nine years ago with the Associated Press, in which he pressured the former president to release his academic records.

Mr Cohen, who once said he would take a bullet for Mr Trump, will tell lawmakers how he is “ashamed” over his efforts to “protect and promote” his former boss.

“I am ashamed because I know what Mr Trump is. He is a racist. He is a conman. He is a cheat,” he will say.

“He was a presidential candidate who knew that Roger Stone was talking with Julian Assange about a WikiLeaks drop of Democratic National Committee emails.”

Last summer, Cohen pleaded guilty to charges of tax evasion, bank fraud, and campaign finance violations in relation to hush money payments made to two women, Stormy Daniels and Karen McDougal, on the eve of the 2016 election.

He also pleaded guilty to a separate charge by brought by Robert Mueller’s office that he lied to Congress about discussions over the construction of a proposed Trump Organisation skyscraper in Moscow – referred to in court documents as the “Moscow Project”.

He was sentenced to three years in jail and is due to start his sentence shortly.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/michael-cohen-trump-sent-letters-092112093.html

GO RV, then BV

https://qmap.pub/?pg=1

On 3/13/2019 at 2:54 PM, Shabibilicious said:

Perhaps, CL....The public Cohen hearing did jump start the investigation into Trump's finances though.....and put Trump's family and business squarely in the spotlight, as well as Mr Weiselberg (sp)....I suppose that could be considered collateral damage.....I imagine as long as it doesn't touch Donald directly he doesn't much care.....he's happiest when he's promoting himself as an unfairly treated champion of the masses anyway.  It's worked for him his whole life, now is no time for him to change, even if he had a clue how.

GO RV, then BV

https://qmap.pub

• 1 month later...

Wondering if this is touching on some concerns Shabibilicious has been showcasing on the leader of the free world...?   

For among my people there are wicked men.

They keep peering, as when birdcatchers crouch down.

They set a deadly trap.

It is men whom they catch.

Like a cage full of birds,

So their houses are full of deception.

That is why they have become powerful and rich.

They have grown fat and smooth;

They overflow with evil.

They do not plead the legal case of the fatherless,

That they may gain success;

And they deny justice to the poor.’” 

“Should I not call them to account for these things?” declares Jehovah.

“Should I not avenge myself on such a nation?

Something appalling and horrible has occurred in the land:

The prophets prophesy lies.

And the priests dominate by their own authority.

And my own people love it that way.

But what will you do when the end comes?”

(Jeremiah 5:26-31)

Just something to think about... 

• Like 1