Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Top Republicans Oppose Border 'Emergency' As Shutdown Drags On

Top Republicans oppose border 'emergency' as shutdown drags on

AFP AFP 19 hours ago 
2d00e22df78768ff8767f36c8109cf9ff80c6390 Republican lawmaker Steve Scalise (C), seen here at a recent White House briefing with President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence, said on January 13, 2019 that he does not want to see Trump invoke an emergency to secure funds for a wall (AFP Photo/SAUL LOEB)

Washington (AFP) - Top Republican lawmakers on Sunday warned against Donald Trumpdeclaring a national emergency to secure funds for a border wall, signaling doubts within the president's party as a government shutdown was set to enter a fourth workweek.

Senator Ron Johnson, chairman of the Homeland Security Committee, told CNN that he would "hate" to see Trump invoke emergency powers for a wall.

"If we do that, it's going to go to court and the wall won't get built," he said.

And Representative Steve Scalise, the No. 2 House Republican, told ABC, "We don't want it to come down to a national emergency declaration," even if he believes Trump has the authority to do so.

Trump only recently backed away from talk of an emergency declaration, after pressing it for days as a way out of the continuing budget standoff.

Democrats have strongly opposed the idea. The No. 2 Senate Democrat, **** Durbin, said Sunday on ABC that "if this president is going to turn to national emergencies every time he disagrees with Congress, I'm against it."

He urged Trump to "put an end to the shutdown and put everything on the table."

As the partisan battle drags on, the effects of the partial shutdown have become steadily clearer, and new polls show growing public dissatisfaction. On Sunday, Trump acknowledged, at least indirectly, the mounting costs of the shutdown.

- Republicans blamed -

"The damage done to our Country from a badly broken Border - Drugs, Crime and so much that is bad - is far greater than a Shutdown, which the Dems can easily fix as soon as they come back to Washington!" he said.

Many lawmakers spent the weekend in their home states -- often hearing constituents' complaints about the shutdown -- but will return to Washington on Monday.

Trump has tried various angles to pressure Democratic negotiators, but they have not visibly budged from an offer to support some border security spending -- the figure of $1.3 billion has been floated -- but not the $5.7 billion he wants for a wall.

Two new polls indicate the Democrats may be winning the battle for public support.

The Washington Post/ABC News survey found that far more Americans blame Trump and the Republicans for the shutdown than blame the Democrats -- by 53 percent to 29 percent.

Meantime, a separate poll by CNN showed Trump's disapproval rating among Americans had climbed by five points -- to 57 percent -- in just a month, with just 37 percent approving.

But the Post poll also found a hardening of Republican support for a wall, with 70 percent now saying they strongly support the wall, up from 58 percent a year earlier.

The president has closely tied his fate to his steadfast conservative base.

- Fears of overreach -

Many Republicans doubt that the invocation of a national emergency would help their cause -- likely influencing Trump's decision Friday to say he was holding off in order to give Democrats more time to strike a deal.

"I want to give them the chance to see if they can act responsibly," he told Fox in an interview late Saturday.

Trump has acknowledged that an emergency declaration would likely trigger a legal battle ending in the Supreme Court.

Opponents say such a unilateral presidential move would be constitutional overreach and set a dangerous precedent.

The partial shutdown became the longest on record at midnight Friday, when it overtook a 21-day stretch in 1995-1996 under president Bill Clinton.

- Wall against 'crime' -

The impasse has paralyzed Washington -- its impact felt increasingly around the country -- with the president refusing to sign off on budgets for swaths of government departments unrelated to the dispute.

As a result, 800,000 federal employees -- including FBI agents, air traffic controllers and museum staff -- received no paychecks on Friday.

Both Democrats and Republicans agree that the US-Mexican border presents challenges, but Trump has turned his single-minded push for more walls into a crusade.

He tweeted Sunday that "The building of the Wall on the Southern Border will bring down the crime rate throughout the entire Country!"

Some studies show that illegal immigrants commit fewer crimes than people born in the United States.

Only in recent days has Trump begun describing the problem as "humanitarian," referring in a tweet Saturday to "a massive Humanitarian Crisis at our Southern Border."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/top-republicans-oppose-border-emergency-shutdown-drags-181051558.html

GO RV, then BV

• Thanks 1

It's really very simple, no one wants to see President Trump having to declare a national emergency to secure our borders. But everyone understands that President Trump's first and foremost job is to provide Safety and Security of the American people. Something the Democrats seem to have forgotten. So while no one wants a National Emergency make no mistake about it, if the Democrats don't give the money for the wall you will get a national emergency. And the difference between President Donald J Trump and the spineless Democrats is I don't believe Trump cares if he gets reelected or not as long as he does his job.

• Thanks 4
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

And the difference between President Donald J Trump and the spineless Democrats is I don't believe Trump cares if he gets reelected or not as long as he does his job.

I'm sure you're right, LGD.....in fact Trump cares so little about what people think of him he allowed Ann Coulter and Fox News to force his hand.

GO RV, then BV

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

I suppose if you're not one of the 800,000 Americans being held political hostage by Trump, that what you posted would be a better question.  Of course that 20 million number drops dramatically when you take away the sleazy dirt bags in this country giving those illegals employment at pennies on the dollar.

GO RV, then BV  

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

I suppose if you're not one of the 800,000 Americans being held political hostage by Trump, that what you posted would be a better question.  Of course that 20 million number drops dramatically when you take away the sleazy dirt bags in this country giving those illegals employment at pennies on the dollar.

GO RV, then BV  

Shabs

I disagree....no one would be "held hostage" if our gov did it's most basic of function....protect its citizens. For decades all POTUS's turned a blind eye to the problem that is now at historic proportions (immigration). DT stated many many many times that his goal was to build a wall to stem the tide of this problem & protect us. Both parties have known this and should have reacted way before this (gov shutdown) occurred. IMO the ones holding folks hostage are the ones that are voting/positioning against the wall. jmho 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

Trump needs to go ahead and declare the National Emergency. It would not be his first or for that matter Trumps predecessors many NE, many of which are still in effect.  National Emergencies numbers by president. Trump 3, Obama 10, Bush 10, Clinton 6, Carter 1.  https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/list-31-national-emergencies-effect-years/story?id=60294693

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

So Why Are 20 Million Illegal Immigrants Still Getting Paid?

Good questions LGD... The answer is pretty simple... Corporations have more rights than any of us. Why do federal agencies not prosecute companies that hire illegals? Why doesn't our president and congress to go the root of the problem? Maybe because money is the route to all evil and our politicians are lining their pockets? I mentioned once, that Dalton Georgia , a city of 30 or 40 thousand people routinely is visited by presidential candidates. Why you might ask would a presidential candidate visit such a small town before every election? The answer. Dalton is home to Shaw Industries. The Shaw family are very large contributors. What do they get for their money? They get warnings one hour before INS shows up at their factories. And you guessed, all their illegal workers conveniently disappear when they hear the "special" bell... So go tell your good ol' congressman to bring charges against the companies doing the hiring. My bet is you won't hear back...

B/A

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, caz1104 said:

Shabs

I disagree....no one would be "held hostage" if our gov did it's most basic of function....protect its citizens. For decades all POTUS's turned a blind eye to the problem that is now at historic proportions (immigration). DT stated many many many times that his goal was to build a wall to stem the tide of this problem & protect us. Both parties have known this and should have reacted way before this (gov shutdown) occurred. IMO the ones holding folks hostage are the ones that are voting/positioning against the wall. jmho 

And I respect your opinion my friend.  I must remind everybody though......Trump made it absolutely clear hundreds of times publicly that Mexico would be paying for the Wall.  He did indeed promise a Wall and he's doing what he feels is the best way to bring that promise to fruition....but Mexico flipping that bill was a promise as well.   

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 1

Just now, markb57 said:

Trump needs to go ahead and declare the National Emergency. It would not be his first or for that matter Trumps predecessors many NE, many of which are still in effect.  National Emergencies numbers by president. Trump 3, Obama 10, Bush 10, Clinton 6, Carter 1.  https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/list-31-national-emergencies-effect-years/story?id=60294693

That would be a huge mistake....He would surely get sued and the issue would get bogged down in the courts, for years perhaps....in the meantime he would lose any leverage he has and thus no Wall gets built....and comprehensive immigration reform goes the way of the DoDo.  A deal needs to be reached by both sides, now.  This hardball crap is getting us nowhere.

GO RV, then BV

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, caz1104 said:

Shabs

IMO the ones being held hostage are the ones who are scared by rhetoric... Illegals come for jobs... Yet politicians do nothing to stop the hiring. When our founding fathers went before the people and told them we are about to take on the world's greatest army, they didn't preach fear. Knowing the odds were against them, they preached strength and freedom. Today all our politicians preach fear, and now most Americans live in fear and want their government to protect them... And the most ironic part is the ones who say they are freedom fighters and love America more than any one, are the ones who want their government to protect them the most... Yup all these whiners and crybabies screaming for a wall are simply saying protect me government. I need more government in my life. How bizarre.

B/A

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, markb57 said:

Illegals USE to come for jobs. Now they know they can get govt subsides and not work at all.

With all due respect, markb57.....those aren't American high school kids breaking their backs out in those fields, or working the slaughter houses, or cleaning hotel rooms, or washing dishes, etc....

GO RV, then BV

• Thanks 2

Mr President..... Do your job.      

Article II, Section 3 of the Constitution requires the President to “take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed.”

This clause, known as the Take Care Clause, requires the President to enforce all constitutionally valid

Acts of Congress, regardless of his own Administration's view of their wisdom or policy.

The Secure Fence Act of 2006, which was passed by a Republican Congress and signed by

President George W. Bush, authorized about 700 miles of fencing along certain stretches of

land between the border of the United States and Mexico.

On October 26, 2006, U.S. President George W. Bush signed the Secure Fence Act of 2006 (Pub.L. 109–367) into law stating,

"This bill will help protect the American people. This bill will make our borders more secure. It is an important step toward immigration reform."

He doesn't need to declare an emergency. He has the right and duty to carry out the law. 

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, nstoolman1 said:

Mr President..... Do your job.      

Article II, Section 3 of the Constitution requires the President to “take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed.”

This clause, known as the Take Care Clause, requires the President to enforce all constitutionally valid

Acts of Congress, regardless of his own Administration's view of their wisdom or policy.

The Secure Fence Act of 2006, which was passed by a Republican Congress and signed by

President George W. Bush, authorized about 700 miles of fencing along certain stretches of

land between the border of the United States and Mexico.

On October 26, 2006, U.S. President George W. Bush signed the Secure Fence Act of 2006 (Pub.L. 109–367) into law stating,

"This bill will help protect the American people. This bill will make our borders more secure. It is an important step toward immigration reform."

He doesn't need to declare an emergency. He has the right and duty to carry out the law. 

I agree and if POTUS Trump really want to stir the Can of Worms....Where is the 50 Billion that was set aside for Bush' Fence, wall or what every they want to call it.....

Maybe Trump needs to start an Investigation into where the money was spent.

Karsten

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Shabibilicious said:

And I respect your opinion my friend.  I must remind everybody though......Trump made it absolutely clear hundreds of times publicly that Mexico would be paying for the Wall.  He did indeed promise a Wall and he's doing what he feels is the best way to bring that promise to fruition....but Mexico flipping that bill was a promise as well.   

GO RV, then BV

Indirectly I still think having Mexico pay is still  viable & righteous